• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman v Superman: No Justice

Yeah, I think the scene originally leading into that cut was Lois picking up the Kryptonite spear, which makes a buzzing "radiated" sound that was tough to blend out of the audio entirely while Knyazev is talking.

Hey, good job reese. Great edit, the motivations of Batman and Superman are really clear, not as hidden under extraneous layers as the original, and the FIGHT really works as the climax of the film.
The ending in the bath is a little odd, though - Lois' facial expressions don't really work - why is she so sad? - everything's great!
The picture quality is superb. Pity it's 2.0 sound, but it's good quality, so it's ok.
Thoroughly enjoyed watching it, very impressive.

Review of BvS No Justice.

The first time I watched BvS in theatres I had one of those experiences where I genuinely wanted to leave. A film that I hoped would answer the criticism levelled at Man of Steel and finally deliver a new incarnation of Superman, was in reality a convoluted mess through WB's misguided need to play catch-up to Marvel. The ultimate cut was a better experience with story threads that now seemed to amount to something, but still excessively long and poorly paced for the story that was being told.

With BvS No Justice we get a much more streamlined film that focuses on the two main characters with improved pacing and storytelling. Most of the principals benefit in some way. Lois in particular felt more purposeful in this version.

I loved the omission of Wonder Women, the Justice League cameos and removal of the fight with Doomsday. Action for the sake of it is never a good idea and killing Superman off after barely establishing the hero felt unearned.

What didn't work for me;

- When Clark leaves for Mexico the inserted MoS flying shot is clearly daytime when the scene occurs at night.
- Martha's line 'you don't owe this world a thing, you never did'. The rest of this scene is fine however the last last line rings very cold.
- Removing Batman firing a tracking device onto the van. Batman had no idea that he was going to run into Superman, so to think he would have found time is a bit of a stretch.
- Removal of the scene between Superman and Lois on the balcony after Capital Hill explosion. Granted the silly dialogue about 'Superman' being the dream of a farmer from Kansas made no sense. Otherwise this scene seems necessary, due to the pay off of lead being found to conceal the explosive and Lois's line to Superman about coming back for her after she is later rescued.
- Removal of Batman jumping out of the batwing before smashing into the warehouse.
- The lack of ambient sounds and sound effects for the first half of the scene of Clark entering Lois's apartment, makes the scene seem unfinished.

Some things can't be fixed. In particular the motives for Batman and Superman's showdown, both characters behaving like psychos and the fact that Superman doesn't go to greater lengths to reason with Bruce all the while knowing his mother is in danger. This is all bad set-up on the part of the film makers and no amount of editing wizardry is going to fix this.

Much has been said by fellow reviewers of the need to reinstate Bruce's dialogue 'Martha won't die tonight'. Whilst in principle I agree, when watching the edit I can fully appreciate why it was cut. As to show Superman back on his feat and handing the baton to Batman to rescue his own mother wouldn't have seemed right. Especially in the absence of anything else for him to do.

All in all a marvellous fan edit and my preferred version of a film which previously I felt unlikely watch again or often. Great work Reese!!

Theatrical cut 3/10
Ultimate Cut 5/10
No Justice 7/10

Thanks a lot for the positive reviews guys!

dangermouse said:
The ending in the bath is a little odd, though - Lois' facial expressions don't really work - why is she so sad? - everything's great!

I wanted to convey the emotional exhaustion from them both coming very, VERY close to dying. Lois was a fraction of a second from becoming street pizza, having to be rescued by Clark, and Clark ironically had to be rescued by Lois from a lunatic with a spear. That then creates a deeper bond between them in the face of that adversity.

Ollie W said:
- Removing Batman firing a tracking device onto the van. Batman had no idea that he was going to run into Superman, so to think he would have found time is a bit of a stretch.

That scene is illogical from the outset, unfortunately. The entire Batmobile chase is unnecessary because Batman already tagged the truck. He could've just waited at the Bat Computer for the truck to arrive at LexCorp. One reviewer called for the entire chase scene to be cut, but that didn't feel right to me. The movie is already light on action as it is. So, there is the implication that he fired the tracker at the truck during the chase in case they got away. I know it's a bit of a stretch but if anyone asks how, just say, "Because he's Batman!"

Ollie W said:
- Removal of Batman jumping out of the batwing before smashing into the warehouse.

I would've kept it because it's a nice transition shot, but he'd freshly barbecued a bunch of guys in cars originally, and the flames from their vehicles are visible in that shot.

Ollie W said:
- The lack of ambient sounds and sound effects for the first half of the scene of Clark entering Lois's apartment, makes the scene seem unfinished.

That's a far observation. I could've overlaid taps dripping, door locks opening etc. Taken under advisement.

reeseevans said:
Thanks a lot for the positive reviews guys!

dangermouse said:

I wanted to convey the emotional exhaustion from them both coming very, VERY close to dying. Lois was a fraction of a second from becoming street pizza, having to be rescued by Clark, and Clark ironically had to be rescued by Lois from a lunatic with a spear. That then creates a deeper bond between them in the face of that adversity.

Right. Unfortunately that doesn't come across at all. It's feels weird and rushed and is the only bit which said "fanedit". Maybe just cutting straight to the bath bit would work better. Or cut to Lois walking around in her apartment, then going for a bath, then Clark with flowers, then he just jumps straight in?

reeseevans said:
Ollie W said:

That scene is illogical from the outset, unfortunately. The entire Batmobile chase is unnecessary because Batman already tagged the truck. He could've just waited at the Bat Computer for the truck to arrive at LexCorp. One reviewer called for the entire chase scene to be cut, but that didn't feel right to me. The movie is already light on action as it is. So, there is the implication that he fired the tracker at the truck during the chase in case they got away. I know it's a bit of a stretch but if anyone asks how, just say, "Because he's Batman!"
Maybe cut out the tracker entirely. Because you've moved the getting the Kryptonite (great edit by the way!), he doesn't need to have the tracker. He'll track it down later after his "if there's even 1% chance" speech.
Without the tracker, the scene makes a lot more sense! It also makes sense why (in your edit) he delays getting the Kryptonite - because of Superman, he now doesn't know where it is!!

Ollie W said:

reeseevans said:
I would've kept it because it's a nice transition shot, but he'd freshly barbecued a bunch of guys in cars originally, and the flames from their vehicles are visible in that shot.
I'd keep the scene. The flames from the vehicles could just be abandoned vehicles set ablaze by hooligans.... :)  

BTW you deserve the kudos. It's good. :)

dangermouse said:
Right. Unfortunately that doesn't come across at all. It's feels weird and rushed and is the only bit which said "fanedit". Maybe just cutting straight to the bath bit would work better. Or cut to Lois walking around in her apartment, then going for a bath, then Clark with flowers, then he just jumps straight in?

The above video is all available footage of that scene, where neither Lois and Clark speak. I don't think I can use any footage from Lois in the apartment because I used it all earlier in the edit (when Lois digs the bullet from the journal). The problem you have is Clark and Lois seem reasonably happy when Clark comes through the door, but they both appear sadder as Clark approaches the bath. I don't really know how Clark can get to the bathtub while trying to maintain a 'happy' vibe, unless you can see something.

dangermouse said:
Maybe cut out the tracker entirely. Because you've moved the getting the Kryptonite (great edit by the way!), he doesn't need to have the tracker. He'll track it down later after his "if there's even 1% chance" speech.
Without the tracker, the scene makes a lot more sense! It also makes sense why (in your edit) he delays getting the Kryptonite - because of Superman, he now doesn't know where it is!!

If you removed the tracking device entirely, and just had Batman going to get it from LexCorp later... yeah, that does make sense. Bruce says to Alfred in the Bat Cave that the Kryptonite is in the possession of Lex Luthor and that he is going to steal it, so it's a follow on from that. Good call!

Hmm. Try 0:00-0:10 (cut before she closes the postbox because she looks too sad.
(cut out her arriving obviously from a trip)
Then 0:15-0:23 running bath, Clark comes home.
Cut out her looking devastated.
Then 0:27-0:33 CLark comes in, they smile.
Cut out long shot in bath where Lois is sad.
etc.
here's a quick mockup. The only thing is Clark moving fairly quickly across the bathroom!

At 0:28 the cut is very strange, but could work if executed slightly more smoothly.  @"dangermouse"

Yes, there needs to be something else there. This was just a quick proof of concept! :)

Canon Editor said:
At 0:28 the cut is very strange, but could work if executed slightly more smoothly.  @"dangermouse"

Because it breaks the 30 degree rule, it feels like a jump cut. An extra shot needs to be added between them for it to work.

Zamros said:
Canon Editor said:

Because it breaks the 30 degree rule, it feels like a jump cut. An extra shot needs to be added between them for it to work.

Currently it goes 
1. Shot of Lois in tub.
2. Close-up of Lois in tub.
3. Clark puts down bag.
4. Clark turns around.

Logically 2 and 3 should be swapped.

1. Shot of Lois in tub.
2. Clark puts down bag.
3. Close-up of Lois in tub.
4. Clark turns around.

Then the next shot Lois has changed position in the tub. The audio should indicate this during shot 4. I should note I watched without audio because I'm in the office.

I finally logged back into IFDB and left a review

No problem, I'd have done it earlier but had log-in issues, I checked the thread on the problem and wokred out how to fix it. :)

NOD TO NO JUSTICE IN NEW BATMAN COMIC?

I was pointed yesterday to an CBR.com article that piqued my interest (https://www.cbr.com/batman-lost-major-2018-dc-event-clue/). Scott Snyder's Dark Knights: Metal tie in book, called Batman: Lost, features an elderly Bruce Wayne teaching his granddaughter about Batman's most famous cases. From the article:

"Eventually, Bruce’s granddaughter reaches for a book labeled The Case of the Chemical Syndicate, which refers back to Batman’s first appearance in Detective Comics #27. It’s a story that has been updated many times over the years, including in the pages of Batman: Lost. Next to it, we see a book titled No Justice, which doesn’t refer to any known Batman story. While it is the title of a popular fan edit of Batman v Superman, it holds no obvious connection to a past DC Comics story, indicating that it’s most likely the tease Snyder referenced in his tweet. As for what, exactly, it refers to remains unknown, but we’ll likely not have to wait too long to find out."

So, the roundabout answer is likely "no", but it's pretty fun nonetheless!

Hello I am new here and to be quite honest,found out about this site thru hearing about Reese's edit DAWN OF JUSTICE! Well,the old saying goes "You Don't Know What YA Got Till It's Gone" and after the horror that was Justice League I was looking to go back and revisit the Snyderverse.I have already seen BVS numerous times have the DVD Blue Ray and Own The Ultimate Edition etc etc.So I wanted to see a fresh perspective on Mr. Synder's film.Well to my enjoyment what Reese has done has made a very fresh take on this tired old movie.He shifts the focus a bit so that the story is literally about Batman Vs Superman.No Doomsday, NO build up to the League.Subsequently Diana's involvement is all but forgotten in this take (I did like what WW brought to the film) but I believe that cramming too much into the original film was the major problem with why it seemed to not connect with many.Don't get me wrong I personally liked the original and even more the Ultimate cut but this edit is a fun watch.The additional scenes added from "Gotham" help flesh out the Batman story and I love the reintroduction of Superman's Origin from MOS.It really adds to the story and makes the Speech about "I bet your parents taught You a different Lesson...." during Fight Night.It's only real flaw is the final act. No fault to Mr Evan's beautiful editing work but the lack of source material to help flesh out the ending of the film.He throws a couple of nice lil Easter Eggs in there from previous Bat Films but don't want to spoil any of them to a new viewer.Best thing to do is ask Reese for the link sit down forget what has come before and enjoy! Graded on his editing work this is a A- in the world of Fan Edits that I have seen (I and I have watched Allot over the years) There could be some improvement on his cutting down the soundtracks as some of the scores seem to cut off abruptly in some places but That is only knit-picking. The film as a whole I give a B- again due to the ending needing a little more footage to really explain some stuff but I do not fault the editor for that. For any fan of the Snyderverse I would say this is a must watch as it really helps flesh out the main story arch and definitely helps the whole "Martha" scene at the end.I hope that Reese has the time and patience to tackle Justice League Next.

Awesome Watch! Reese has done a masterful job in making this a Leaner Meaner cut.It shifts the focus back to the title of the film.I enjoyed the film all over again with a different perspective (I still like the Original even with all it's flaws) but for someone who has seen this film several times it is nice to watch the best parts of Mr. Snyder's work. The final act does lack a bit -Due to no fault of the editor, just lack of source material,but  I love the "Fix" Reese put in for the "Martha Scene" .The Soundtrack he edited together is A+ and He has done a great job of streamlining or all together removing the unnecessary and gratuitous elements which seem to cram too much into the original film.I think that many of us are going through the old "Don't know what Ya got till it's gone" blues with Zack Snyder's vision all but over in the DCEU and watching this Fan Edit brings back my appreciation for what he was trying to do.Hopefully Reese will have the patience and time to attempt tackling Justice League and bring his talents to try and streamline that mess!Overall,I give this FanEdit an B+ for the finished work (Again points missing only due to the final act lacking source material) An A+ for editing,Sound and Color-grading. A real fun must watch for anyone who Loves and appreciates these two Icons of Comicdom! Great Job!

Back
Top Bottom