• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman v Superman: No Justice

TM2YC said:
reeseevans said:
I think I'll await varied feedback (assuming the edit is accepted) before making a decision for V4.

The Academy preview process is to check your edit is ready for release. If you already intend to make changes, then you don't think it's ready yourself.

Still, I'll look it over if I have time and give you feedback on the grade at least.

Oh no, I have no plans for further omissions to the edit. I am 100% happy that V3 is my final interpretation of the material and would be absolutely satisfied to turn it in to the Academy. I should make that overtly clear. I am willing to chew the fat with Canon Editor and others though, because it would be poor form not to. That above quote is in reference to the colour balance and how I realise it may vary from screen to screen. On the two screens at home, I have not noticed a significant problem with the colour, though I understand if others might.

reeseevans said:
TM2YC said:
reeseevans said:
I think I'll await varied feedback (assuming the edit is accepted) before making a decision for V4.

The Academy preview process is to check your edit is ready for release. If you already intend to make changes, then you don't think it's ready yourself.

Still, I'll look it over if I have time and give you feedback on the grade at least.

Oh no, I have no plans for further omissions to the edit. I am 100% happy that V3 is my final interpretation of the material. I should make that overtly clear. I am willing to chew the fat with Canon Editor and others though, because it would be poor form not to. That above quote is in reference to the colour balance and how it may vary from screen to screen. On the two screens at home on which I have seen it, I have not noticed a problem colour, though I understand if others might.

Oh okay, fair enough.

Just had a quick peek and the skin-tones are definitely crazy orange in a lot of scenes. Then again some professionally graded and released movies have orange skin all over the place... but perhaps not to this extent.

33155213896_8cf7e44510_c.jpg

He's looking a little like Nuclearman.

Great.  @"TM2YC" the orange skin is exactly what I was referring to!

Yes, he is rather... tan, on that frame, I must admit. The colour correction is a tricky thing to get right I've learned, because it varies quite radically from shot-to-shot, which of course means one has to watch and re-watch the edit numerous times on multiple screens to get a flavour for it. I swear I've watched the edit 5 or 6 times by now.

I may upload a non-colour corrected version and finally turn that one into the Academy, while keeping the more colourful version on the side for anyone who prefers it.

reeseevans said:
I may upload a non-colour corrected version and finally turn that one into the Academy, while keeping the more colourful version on the side for anyone who prefers it.

It's not that bad, in fact some scenes look really good.

I've not watched the whole edit yet but I'm unlikely to not approve this edit based just on the grade. Grading is very much a matter of taste and not a technical flaw.

Nice one. It seems to be worse in mid-range to close-range shots of skin. I've been playing around with the colour settings in Vegas and one of the sliders affects the reds/oranges. That frame looks like this on its lowest setting.

qps3gj.jpg

Which looks a lot less radioactive, I think.

I've just watched 'Batman v Superman: No Justice' in one sitting, which was a surprise because BvS is usually such a slog that you need to break it down into a few viewings. I almost enjoyed this deeply flawed, disappointing and frustrating movie. With, or without further colour-grade fine tuning, this is easily approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Enough of the clutter is cleared away that the plot themes and threads which the filmmakers intended, now become at least comprehensible, even if we might not like them, or think they are nonsensical. The portrayal of (Evil)Superman is still absolutely horrible but now we can witness the horror in a clear and concise way. Jesse Eisenberg's performance as Lex is still terrible (toned down though) but now we can fully understand his simplified and consistent goals. The audio and visual editing is near flawless. I only noticed one cut in the whole movie, when at 00.22.21 Batman leaps from the wall in the sex-dungeon and I could detect a slight dip in the audio mix... but it's really minor. A huge 69 minutes has been removed but it doesn't "feel "edited", or lacking anything story wise.

Despite my concern in the above posts... the hyper-saturated grade is for me infinity superior to the drab, grey, depressing look of the original... even if some scenes go overboard on the orange-tan skin-tones (and ginger hair). I'd guesstimate that 75% of scenes look fantastic and improved, 20% look acceptable and 5% look too orange and distracting. So overall it's a win, even if no further improvements were made.

Without question, this is a better version of the film than we saw at the cinema, or on home-video. The new ending montages are inspired. The decision to excise all the 'Justice League' nonsense and the Doomsday battle-royale was the right one to fix the movie but I just wish there was someway to have retained the Wonder Woman awesomeness (impossible as I know that would have been). Sure it's a non-canonical cut with future DCU movies but as the two Zack Snyder Directed JL movies will probably be awful, who cares?

I didn't think BvS was in any way salvageable but @"reeseevans" has proved me wrong with this fairly radical Fanfix. Check it out.

(Thread moved)

Congratulations reeseevans, I knew this would win the big dogs over :) 

It's hands down my favourite BVS cut to date, it keeps the film tightly focused on the themes pertaining to the film's main title, and it ends on a triumphant note, more in-keeping kind of with the optimistic tone of DC comics today.

Aww, you guys...  :) I'm thrilled it's been accepted, many thanks again!

This is gaining some publicty. Reese notified me that it was featured on comicbook.com and I just found an article for it on Screenrant.

Zarius said:
This is gaining some publicty. Reese notified me that it was featured on comicbook.com and I just found an article for it on Screenrant.

Indeedy!

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-fan-edit-no-dceu-storylines/

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/04/01/batman-v-superman-no-justice-edit-reveals-a-brand-new-movie/

Another article on the fanedit of the "admirable failure" sort...

http://www.inquisitr.com/4111399/the-inherent-failure-of-the-batman-v-superman-no-justice-cut/

^ The reviewer in that case seems to like the original (3-hour) cut though. e.g.

"in trying to simplify the narrative, it ironically misses the point of it, which was creating this larger sociopolitical canvas to set up a better future."

...or in other words "They deliberately created a terrible mess of a movie, to make what follows it look better by comparison". :D

Wow I really enjoyed this cut Reese. Great job! The story seemed very streamlined and easy to follow. Video and audio were great. Don't really know how Wonder woman's part would've worked it in, since this is actually the first time ever watching this movie.

But all and all, great night at the movies for my girl and me. When I asked her what she thought, "I Luuuuved it," she said.

Thanks again. :)

I'm glad you both enjoyed it! No Justice and the Theatrical Cut are so different, they might as well be two separate films, so it's interesting to get the perspective of someone who hasn't seen the original.

LOGIC_INC said:
Wow I really enjoyed this cut Reese. Great job! The story seemed very streamlined and easy to follow. Video and audio were great. Don't really know how Wonder woman's part would've worked it in, since this is actually the first time ever watching this movie.

But all and all, great night at the movies for my girl and me. When I asked her what she thought, "I Luuuuved it," she said.

Thanks again. :)

But do you own the film?

Yeah just never got around to watching it. I'm so far behind. I'm like 4 super hero movies behind that I have but haven't watched..

Guardians of the galaxy. capt amer civil war, xmen apocalypse, days of future past and one other one lol.

I've thrown together a prologue for my Batman v Superman: No Justice edit, called "Black Zero: The Aftermath".

"The Aftermath" is an adaptation of the finale to Man of Steel, featuring a final farewell to Pa Kent and a troublesome e-mail from Lex Luthor to Bruce Wayne. This may at some point expand into a full Man of Steel fan edit, meant to dovetail into No Justice. It would introduce Bruce Wayne to the narrative during the destructive finale, and leave the circumstances of Jonathan's death a mystery.

That was absolutely fantastic! From a crowded Batman-Superman-Wonder Woman-Luthor/Doomsday movie you made a Batman movie featuring Superman.
Thank you and Congratulations.

I'll try and post a full review shortly. Only one note that stood out to me.

1:37:54 I "felt" the edit. I think you tried bleeding audio to help it, but it took me out of it for a second.

Back
Top Bottom