• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Seriously? Affleck!? From all the people they could have chosen... Affleck??? WHAT??? Why?? Was he really the best possible choice for the new Bats? Are you serious? You better know what the f**k you're doing WB.
I am sorry, Affleck is a good actor and all, but the idea of him playing Batman doesn't work for me AT ALL. Nothing. He is the LAST person i had in my mind for this role. My excitement went dooooooown for this, but it is not a deal-breaker yet. But its this close. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
oh crap...

Well, this is officially the first live action movie featuring Batman that I'm going to pass on.

It was a good 23 years.

Frantic Canadian said:
Ben Affleck has been cast as the new Batman. If I could give my own post a negative rating I would. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56087514/
I gave it a negative rating because I don't like that you want to give it a negative rating.

Honestly, Ben Affleck is a perfect choice. He has a recognizability that makes him perfect for Bruce Wayne, and he has a chin and voice that'll make him perfect for Batman.

Don't understand why people hate him so much. Sure he was something like an asshole for about a decade and did some shit movies with some shit acting; but in my opinion, Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and Argo more than forgive him. They make me like him.

Agreed Dom. I was a little shocked at first, and felt they could have made a braver/more interesting choice, but Affleck has earned respect and admiration for his recent choices. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's the script that I'd be more concerned about...

Agree with the above.

He did have a very poor period, but in fairness to the guy he recognised that and put a lot of hard work into getting his career back on track.

Having seen Argo it's clear to me at least that Affleck is an intelligent and talented man. So I'm happy to give him a chance.

I remember when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker, loads of people moaned about that.

Same for Anne Hathaway.

The thing to worry about is the script and direction of the movie.

Spot on, Father Merrin. I was just about to say, we had the lead guy from 10 Things I Hate About You as the Joker, and it was great. No one would have guessed that from his resume.

And Michael Keaton, a.k.a. Beetlejuice/Mr. Mom, was outstanding as Batman. Who would have thought that would have worked?

Also, the Internet has been ragging on Christian Bale for 8 years for doing that scratchy, raspy voice (which, BTW, makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't Bruce disguise his voice so people couldn't automatically recognize it)? So people made fun of him for 8 years, and now suddenly he's the master thespian, the best person to ever play the role, and no one can ever top him, ever. Huh?

I mean, you'd start to think that people come to the Internet to complain about things! ;)

I never really liked Ben Affleck as an actor. I did not see Argo, but I did see The Town where he was good, but not super-ultra-amazing either. I think I like the person he is, as he is very interesting in many recent interviews. He tried hard to have some credibility back and he succeded. He silmply looks like a very cool guy. That said, I never saw a movie where I said to myself: "oh my god, Ben Affleck was amazing!" nor I ever did go to a movie theater to watch a movie because Ben Affleck was in it. So I'm not super hyped by him being Batman...
Josh Brolin would have been much more interesting, IMO. Ben Affleck never looked really "dangerous" on screen (from the movies I saw).

TomH1138 said:
And Michael Keaton, a.k.a. Beetlejuice/Mr. Mom, was outstanding as Batman. Who would have thought that would have worked?
I distinctly remember being in the movie theater, and when they showed the Batman trailer that revealed Michael Keaton as Batman the entire theater broke out laughing. Seriously, everyone thought it was a joke!

Anyway, Ben Affleck is a good actor, he has done some very strong work in lessor known movies. I don't think this is something to get too upset about. Like someone else said, the script is going to be far more important (and of course the director).

Basically with Batman, he just needs to make a convincing Bruce Wayne; and I do think that is within Affleck's range. once he puts on the suit, there's plenty that can be done via Hollywood magic to make a convincing and menacing batman, that has nothing to do with the actual actor underneath it.

hm... not the choice i expected...
I was thinking of Armitage or someone else who hasn't yet achieved superstar status. Affleck really is a big name and I like his directorial work a lot.

I think Affleck isn't the thing we need to worry about in a Snyder movie

Sunarep said:

Oh so that Sunarep. I can actually see Affleck as Bruce Wayne - putting in a dark and broody performance. I'm not super enthused - but I think he could pull it off.

But yes, Affleck as Batman is not my most pressing concern. It's Mr Snyder.

As always, I'll wait to pass judgment until I see it with my own eyes, but at this point I feel it's a poor choice. Is Affleck a competent actor? Lately, he seems to be. But he's just not the best choice for the role. He carries too much acting baggage with him. It's like Tom Cruise taking the role. The whole time he's on the screen, it's Tom Cruise playing Batman. When Bale played the part, he WAS Bruce/Batman.

It always works better for suspension of disbelief if the main characters in a sci-fi are relatively unknown. It's why Reeves, Ford/Fisher/Hamill and recently even Cavill worked so convincingly in their parts.

No matter how Ben pulls this off, I'll be thinking "this is Affleck, I wonder when Matt Damon and Silent Bob are going to pop out."

hahahahahaha. I wasn't thrilled about seeing a Batman/Superman crossover film. Thank you Affleck, now I have a reason to avoid it completely.

reave said:
As always, I'll wait to pass judgment until I see it with my own eyes, but at this point I feel it's a poor choice. Is Affleck a competent actor? Lately, he seems to be. But he's just not the best choice for the role. He carries too much acting baggage with him. It's like Tom Cruise taking the role. The whole time he's on the screen, it's Tom Cruise playing Batman. When Bale played the part, he WAS Bruce/Batman.

It always works better for suspension of disbelief if the main characters in a sci-fi are relatively unknown. It's why Reeves, Ford/Fisher/Hamill and recently even Cavill worked so convincingly in their parts.

No matter how Ben pulls this off, I'll be thinking "this is Affleck, I wonder when Matt Damon and Silent Bob are going to pop out."
See, here's how I look at it. I think the fact that Affleck is so recognizable works. In Man of Steel, nobody is supposed to know who Superman is. So we get Henry Cavill, someone most people (including myself) have never seen in anything before. But everyone knows who Bruce Wayne is. Therefor, we get someone everyone recognizes, Ben Affleck. At least that's how I feel.

DominicCobb said:
See, here's how I look at it. I think the fact that Affleck is so recognizable works. In Man of Steel, nobody is supposed to know who Superman is. So we get Henry Cavill, someone most people (including myself) have never seen in anything before. But everyone knows who Bruce Wayne is. Therefor, we get someone everyone recognizes, Ben Affleck. At least that's how I feel.

this reasoning makes no sense to me. Just because Bruce Wayne is recognizable to Gotham, and Ben Affleck is recognizable to you, does not make Ben Affleck recognizable as Bruce Wayne. Mathematically there is no reason if A=B and C=D, that A=C. I see the building janitor every day. We occasionally chat. He's very recognizable to me. Would he work as Batman? no.

I agree with Reave's comment, and have felt that way about most fantasy/sci-fi films. They work best when they are grounded in some level of reality, and you have fresh faces. It needs to be believable.

As I've said, the only thing I'm worrying about is the film being about how awesome Batman is over Superman. I'm sorry, but that's just f**king absurd. I know how awesome it sounds for an "ordinary" man to be able to beat up Space Jesus (the old John Henry vs. the machine story), but that allegory doesn't work because Batman was never an ordinary person, he's an incredibly privileged man who inherited infinite money and uses it to satisfy his psychopathic need to make himself feel better about his parents getting shot. If he were a self-made man it'd be different, but there's still a dark implication as to what (I think) a general audience wants from this movie: to see the psychopath who uses money to solve all of his problems beat up the ordinary farmboy who has all the powers he needs to conquer the world but instead chooses to save it. And with Frank Miller working on this project, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where this project seems to be heading...
1238408638_superman_drinking_.gif

ThrowgnCpr said:
this reasoning makes no sense to me. Just because Bruce Wayne is recognizable to Gotham, and Ben Affleck is recognizable to you, does not make Ben Affleck recognizable as Bruce Wayne. Mathematically there is no reason if A=B and C=D, that A=C. I see the building janitor every day. We occasionally chat. He's very recognizable to me. Would he work as Batman? no.

I agree with Reave's comment, and have felt that way about most fantasy/sci-fi films. They work best when they are grounded in some level of reality, and you have fresh faces. It needs to be believable.
I guess superstars shouldn't be allowed in sic-fi/fantasy then? Should we only allow fresh faces? Russell Crowe played Jor-El, that wasn't okay? I saw Michael Shannon in Take Shelter before I saw him in Man of Steel, does that mean it wasn't grounded in reality for me? Batman is already grounded in reality. What I'm saying is that a fresh face isn't necessary. Bruce Wayne is a familiar face to the world in his universe, and Ben Affleck is a familiar face in ours. When I see Ben Affleck acting in a movie, it's someone I've seen before (and in the back of my head I know it's Affleck), but when he's playing a character, I look at him as that character. Otherwise I'd never be able to enjoy any movie ever again. It's just a subtle thing that I'm trying to explain here. I get that sci-fi needs to be more grounded. What I'm trying to say is that Bruce Wayne is a celebrity in his world, so this isn't that much of a leap for Affleck. It's not that unbelievable.

DominicCobb said:
I guess superstars shouldn't be allowed in sic-fi/fantasy then? Should we only allow fresh faces? Russell Crowe played Jor-El, that wasn't okay? I saw Michael Shannon in Take Shelter before I saw him in Man of Steel, does that mean it wasn't grounded in reality for me? Batman is already grounded in reality. What I'm saying is that a fresh face isn't necessary. Bruce Wayne is a familiar face to the world in his universe, and Ben Affleck is a familiar face in ours. When I see Ben Affleck acting in a movie, it's someone I've seen before (and in the back of my head I know it's Affleck), but when he's playing a character, I look at him as that character. Otherwise I'd never be able to enjoy any movie ever again. It's just a subtle thing that I'm trying to explain here. I get that sci-fi needs to be more grounded. What I'm trying to say is that Bruce Wayne is a celebrity in his world, so this isn't that much of a leap for Affleck. It's not that unbelievable.

First, I'm not saying that superstars (that's generous, lets go with well know actors) shouldn't be allowed in sci-fi/fantasy. What I am saying is that for the most part, particularly when trying to ground the film in a certain level of reality (as Nolan has shown works amazingly well with Batman), the film is more successful when really recognizable faces are not used. I do not think it is a fare comparison to compare Michael Shannon to Ben Affleck. Yeah, Shannon has been in a lot of films, but he doesn't have anywhere near the reputation that Affleck has.

Secondly, I don't think Affleck is an incredibly talented actor. Yeah, he's turned his career around a bit from Gigli and Jersey Girl, but he's no master of the art. If you are going to use someone so recognizable and with such a history, he should be an incredible actor.

I have no comment on Russell Crowe playing Jor-El. I have little interest in that movie, and even less in Russell Crowe. Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of comic-book action. I've really enjoyed some films that were more grounded in reality (Nolan's Batman films, some of the X-Men movies). Those films all worked for me because they were set in real life with real restrictions (for the most part). Some featured really well known actors, but they were done incredibly well (hello Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen), and those actors didn't quite have the "tainted" history that Ben Affleck has.

I actually think this has been in the works for a long time, last year it was announced that they though Affleck would be directing Justice League ... which may be true if he is playing in it as well. I think he is a decent Actor, and though Dardevil wasn't a great movie, he was fine. He is a phenomenal director though.

Sunarep said:
hm... not the choice i expected...
I was thinking of Armitage or someone else who hasn't yet achieved superstar status. Affleck really is a big name and I like his directorial work a lot.

Spot on.

what I am wondering: if they already considered affleck to direct justice league.... why not ditch snyder and go with affleck?
snyder can still write the screenplay which affleck can then rewrite/ignore and everyone is happy

Sunarep said:
what I am wondering: if they already considered affleck to direct justice league.... why not ditch snyder and go with affleck?
snyder can still write the screenplay which affleck can then rewrite/ignore and everyone is happy

Domestic grosses for Affleck's 3 directorial efforts combined: $248.5 million (approx.)

Domestic gross for Man of Steel: $289.8 million (approx)

Back
Top Bottom