• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

geminigod said:
Has anyone messed around with any good comic book ipad apps?
Comixology works well. (I have only used it to download some freebie things - I prefer hard copy comic books that I can loan out to friends)

Superman: Red Son was a very interesting take/twist as well.

Not very excited. They'll try too hard to get it even for both characters so fans of one and the other will both be equally happy, and the result is, none will be really happy and both would want more focus on their boy. Kind of the Freddy vs. Jason syndrome.

Solid11 said:
Comixology works well. (I have only used it to download some freebie things - I prefer hard copy comic books that I can loan out to friends)

Superman: Red Son was a very interesting take/twist as well.

Cool. I'll have to download comixology. I don't have the time to avidly collect anymore, but would love to occasionally check out a really good story that an expert like you recommends to me.

What they should do, IMO, is to just introduce Bruce Wayne as a character in the next Superman movie and possibly only see Batman in suit at the very end.
Spoiler about the end of Man of Steel:
Like Clark Kent the journalist is only to be seen at the end of MOS
That way they would introduce the character a bit like the SHIELD was in Iron Man 2, but keep it a Superman movie and let the 2 big boys run most of the show in a Justice League movie.

I hope they do this since MOS laid a fantastic foundation for a new Superman story. We need more time with him coming to grips with his role as Earth's hero and protector. Throw Bats in and...hmm.

Batman shows up to see what Supes is all about after all the destruction that the Krptonians caused. They eventually have a cat fight ala the Avengers, possibly even having Batman introducing that he discovered Kryptonite and uses it to keep Superman at bay, but in the end they realize their common goal and likely common enemy, that being Luthor. That seems like a pretty decent movie to me, but we'll see what we get.

I'm starting to feel that the only way I'd be happy with this movie is if it resolves with Batman deciding that he doesn't have to be such a brooding loner all the time. Even if you argue that Batman being part of a shared universe diminishes his importance and should just stay as the solo Dark Knight Detective, in the comics the guy has taken in 7 orphans who became is sidekicks and he loves Dick Grayson like a father. I've only seen a little bit of Batman the Brave and the Bold, but what I've seen so far makes me scoff slightly that the idea of Batman inspired by Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns & Batman Year One and Tim Burton's film is somehow "The One True Bat." One thing I actually enjoy about Batman Forever is that Batman finally gets past his parents death and decides to continue to be Batman out of altruism rather than guilt. I'm not saying go completely back to the campy Adam West character or turn him into Captain America or anything, but this one idea of Batman has been so exposed to mainstream again and again, that it's all starting to run together.

I like Batman/Superman stories and I've read quite a few. I think they can easily exist in the same universe. There's always been a yin/yang relationship which can be done right. The problem is that Superman stories without evil aliens are mostly boring (apart from a couple of Lex Luthon stories), and such plots has to be meticulously crafted to avoid Batman ending up as the powerless being he really is.

Mostly comic book authors have solved this conundrum by playing up the brilliant detective part of Batman, thus making him a chief strategist more than a fighter. This has been the M.O. of most Justice League writers, and to some extent the role Batman plays in the Final Crisis crossover story (which, although slightly confusing, is probably the best big event story of the last two decades). I like the fact that while Superman does most of the heavy lifting, Batman is the one that - through deduction - actually saves the day by stopping the bad guy.

(Frank Miller takes a different approach: he makes Superman stupid. In The Dark Knight Returns it's bearable (and the story otherwise is really good), but in his All-Star Batman & Robin, Miller made both Supes and Green Lantern morons to put Batman in a better light.)

Ultimately, the only thing that can make these stories work is if Batman is at least slightly smarter than Superman. I think the problem with a shared DC movie universe is that the established Batman movies went for a struggling, but badass Batman. It didn't play up the World's Greatest Detective bit (when he deduced anything, it was mostly through futuristic tech) - which I think is the only Batman that works in a bigger setting.

Anyone listened to this, I quite liked some of his story beats. Keep in mind it's for a comic-line not a movie.

Good Article. I'll follow Zack Snyder anywhere. Even if it costs the lives of a few Metropolis citizens. :p

I hate to say it, but I think Warner Bros. are making a big mistake by including Batman in the Man of Steel sequel. A Batman and Superman team-up/vs. film should be an offshoot like The Avengers. I think this is going to hurt both franchises dramatically if Zach Snyder can't pull this thing off.

^ Did it for ya. :p

Impressive. Most impressive. On my other forum, I jokingly suggested Zach Braff:

is

... And also George Clooney, just to make fanboys' heads explode, but they managed to make an even worse pick than either of those. :oops:

Affleck is a fine director, but Cavill will make him look like a lost puppy just by being in the same room. (Anyone else think Snyder's gonna wake up with an awful hangover tomorrow, and yell "shit, no, I meant the other guy from The Town!")

So full of fail! :lol:

Right now. Somewhere in Hollywood. Affleck is looking at his iPhone. It's ringing for the nth time. Jennifer Garner enters the room. He gives her a sullen look, then shakes his head.

Garner: What?
Affleck: This was the worst decision I ever made. What was I thinking?!?
Garner: What are you talking about, sweetheart? You're gonna be great!

Affleck reaches for his phone. It's still ringing. Garner takes a look at the display. The look in her eyes turns into a stare, then wanders off in the distance.

Garner: This is going to happen every day from now on, right?

Affleck nods. He sighs. Finally he answers the phone.

Affleck: Hey, Kevin! Yeah, ... yeah it's true. Hmhm. I ... I don't know, but ... yeah, ... I ... okay. Naaah, I don't do podcasts, I told you, ... but I ... listen, I don't know anything about nipples, but ...

Silently Garner leaves the room.

Never thought I'd say this, but Afflleck as Batman actually makes me hopeful about this movie. Sure, it's quite possible that Man of Steel 2 might entirely miss the point and make the film all about him, but (a) he did not break Daredevil, and (b) this could be the equivalent of Chris Evans going from Johnny Storm to Captain America. Really optimistic take on the news here:

moviebob.blogspot.com/2013/08/ben-affleck-is-batman.html?spref=tw

Back
Top Bottom