• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman Forever: Red Book Edition - A Scaperat Fanedit - The 15th Anniversary Enhanced Edition

I have dreams of building my own version of Batman Forever from scratch. I've been going about it for over four years now, and it spawned purely from my inspiration by, and admiration for, other edits of the source material. I think I have a solid idea in mind for how I will revisit my project in the future, and yours will surely motivate me. Do you have a history with the original movie my any chance? :)

I loved the movie as a kid growing up. The Riddler tossing his boss out the window always left me slightly unsettled. The tone of the Riddler always felt weird and demented. Didn't get into 1989 Batman until later. And B&R was terrible. I discovered the Red Book Edition later and it was part of my discovery of fanedits as a thing, along with The Phantom Edit shortly before. The Red Book Edition when I first saw it just hit me in a way and I really hold it dear for some reason now.

I loved the movie as a kid growing up. The Riddler tossing his boss out the window always left me slightly unsettled. The tone of the Riddler always felt weird and demented. Didn't get into 1989 Batman until later. And B&R was terrible. I discovered the Red Book Edition later and it was part of my discovery of fanedits as a thing, along with The Phantom Edit shortly before. The Red Book Edition when I first saw it just hit me in a way and I really hold it dear for some reason now.
I worry. Do you have to have a history with the film to anchor your own re-cut of it?

Why is that relevant? They won FEOTM with their first edit. Seems to be enough of a qualification for me. They have already outlined their affinity for the original edit. What are you looking for?
Am I talking about edits or the original movies right now?

@motleycat Enterprises inc what is your history with the film? You seem to care very much about it, which is a good thing, not bad. I've seen your posts in Morrigan's edit thread as well.
Also, what ideas do you have about this edit that would better Scaperat's cut?

Edit update:

The ISO's VOBs have broken frames in them. I think it is occurring when one VOB ends and the next begins. These broken frames (video and audio) have shown up in two different rips. So, to fix this I am using the bluray source for those shots and color grading them, adding film grain, and fixing the broken audio as well.
There are at least two instances of this.
All timestamps will be posted.
I will be posting direct comparisons later this week.

The aspect ratio/stretching that Scaperat's ISO/DVD has is also being fixed. There are not only black bars on the sides but the video is stretched to remove the black, top and bottom bars.
The deleted scenes are even more aggregious with even larger black bars on the sides of the screen.
All timestamps will be posted.
I will have comparison videos later this week.

(Wanted you to read this one @Gieferg since it has to do with using the bluray source.)

@motleycat Enterprises inc what is your history with the film? You seem to care very much about it, which is a good thing, not bad. I've seen your posts in Morrigan's edit thread as well.
Also, what ideas do you have about this edit that would better Scaperat's cut?
To tel you the truth, I first learnt about the film's tough time at the BBFC in this episode of Cutting Edge, a fantastic censorship documentary which is definitely worth a watch!

It wasn't until I started reading about the film's production and 40+ minutes of deleted footage that I really got into it. Needless to say, Jim Carrey is a blast as the Riddler. This was shot during his prime and it clearly shows.

On the other hand, knowing that the late Joel Schumacher originally shot a darker film compared to the theatrical release, and that screenwriter Akiva Goldsman actually got to see "Preview Cut: One" last April and is anticipating a renaissance as we speak, I can totally see why there is a demand for the original cut of Batman Forever, and rightfully so!

This film had the potential to be something great back in '95, but studio execs had cold feet after the lukewarm reception of Returns, and much of the film's emotional core was left on the cutting room floor. Thank fuck for special edition DVDs, honestly. After seeing what some people were capable of, taking this film and presenting it in a darker light, I feel as though it is only fitting for me to offer my own darker take on the source material. I only have scaperat, Morrigan, Canon Editor and BatmanFanEditProjects for inspiring me to pursue my own re-cut of Forever.

I may need to train myself in the Mystic Arts of Fan Editing first, but if I give it some time, the final result should be worth it!

Speaking of scaperat, I have no idea what I can suggest to you that would better his original cut. If there are any jarring cuts in visuals and audio that need smoothening out, that would be a start.

How were you able to contact him, by the way? He hasn't been online in years, at least on the Fanedit Forums.

Last edited:
I perfectly agree with your last post. The BF: RBE truly is a milestone in fanediting, but I never could stand those small technical issues in the DVD version. I’m really happy for this version to come out! What do you think the release date might be?

How were you able to contact him, by the way? He hasn't been online in years, at least on the Fanedit Forums.
@motleycat Enterprises inc If you check his profile you'll see he was last online June 23rd, 2021. So, it seems he checks in every so often.

What do you think the release date might be?
@Canon Editor I want to have it done in a few weeks. No exact date yet. I'll let you know as soon as a workprint is available.

Soon I will have some comparisons to show.

The ISO's VOBs have broken frames in them. I think it is occurring when one VOB ends and the next begins.

How do you prepare your working files?

You should never try to work on vob files in any video editor, or convert them directly to anything else. What should be done is separating streams first (with PGC demux) and then work on complete video file (.m2v) or video+audio combined (.mpg). When you have such file, then you may convert it to mp4 or whatever you want. Try this and see if there's still an issue with broken frames.

I remember that I had the exact same problem (on every single DVD) when I tried to use .vob files without separating streams back in my early (DVD) editing days.

Last edited:
How do you prepare your working files?

You should never try to work on vob files in any video editor, or convert them directly to anything else. What should be done is separating streams first (with PGC demux) and then work on complete video file (.m2v) or video+audio combined (.mpg). When you have such file, then you may convert it to mp4 or whatever you want. Try this and see if there's still an issue with broken frames.

I remember that I had the exact same problem (on every single DVD) when I tried to use .vob files without separating streams back in my early (DVD) editing days.
I'm working with an MP4. I ripped the DVD/ISO using Handbrake to MP4. I shouldn't have said VOBs I guess. I'm not editing separate VOBs on a timeline. I'll check this software out.. thanks.

Well, there's always a possibility that DVD is faulty somehow. But still, better check out how it will look on a .m2v file made from this dvd before trying to patch it with Blu material.

Back
Top Bottom