• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Alternate cuts of movies you would love to see

Anyways another question: Would any of you know anything as to what really happened during the production of Frozen 2? It seems that the film had darker themes and scenes, that were cut due to inappropriate ages for test screening.

Watch the extras tab on Disney+ for all the BTS material on the Blu-Ray, and the series Into the Unknown: Making Frozen II on Disney+, great candid look at the production. Will probably cover everything you're after.

MV5BYmQ5ZWE0ZWUtNzY0Zi00MmZhLWIzNTgtNDk1MTBiMDNmMmZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

I've been considering making a Frozen 2 Fan Edit called The Assembly Cut Workprint or something of the sort, but am waiting till the Steelbook goes down in price as well I love that artwork!!

If you're talking about this Best Buy exclusive steelbook, then no, it will never go down. It was a limited edition release, and so it's only going to go up in price. It's now a 3 year old release, so it's not getting any cheaper.

257304_front.jpg

I would find it 100% foolish for WB to not release the Batman deleted scene from Aquaman 2, that we know for a fact was shot, the one with Ben Afflecks batman, Jason Mamoa accidentally spoiled his appearance in a short he did and I'd just assume like it'd give more Blueray & Home media sales in general, I know I'd pick it up!
They could do it like the Justice League 2017 blueray where it had the sticker saying new Superman deleted scene, just change it to say Batman!! Like come on if they can't give us something we know was fully shot!

Maybe they will release it, maybe not. The first Aquaman had a few deleted scenes discussed in interviews that were never released. The details of the Blu-Ray bonus features have not been announced so it's hard to say. James Wan isn't traditionally a director who puts out his deleted scenes, so ultimately it might be his decision. Some creatives never like showing people their offcuts. Chris Nolan, Todd Phillips, Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese, Denis Villeneuve, John Hughes, etc. Often some directors just don't like showing people what got cut out for personal creative reasons. Maybe it's a WB exec decision, maybe it's a Wan decision.

They shot that scene twice with Keaton and Affleck playing Bruce Wayne, and then ultimately cut it. Maybe Wan is that embarrassed that it didn't work that he'd rather never show it off. I recently shot a short film where we had to do a similar thing, where we shot a scene twice with two different actors playing the same role and were really dissappointed how shit it came out both times. We were all mortified that we just cut the whole thing out and decided to never put the footage out there and those earlier cuts make me cringe.

Also if they put that footage on the Blu-Ray, then they have to pay royalities to the actors, which is another little bundle of cash, and for a company as strapped for cash as WB, it's probably not worth it.

The whole thing also applies to The Flash, with the multiple endings with different combos of Affleck, Cavil, Gadot, Momoa, Calle and Keaton.

edited to remove the more extreme elements from my last post

Caligula was Penthouse Magazine’s first attempt to produce a high budget film in 1976 and was shot with Malcom McDowell, Helen Mirren, Peter O’Toole and directed by Tinto Brass. While it did have sex scenes, the Penthouse producers were unhappy, and so Brass was locked out of editing, and more hardcore scenes were shot on the sets without the original actors present. These were cut into the film with the principal photography material being minimised.
This led to the cast, writer and director all becoming disenfranchised and Brass disowning what became the theatrical cut.
Since 1979 when it was first released, there have since been 3 attempts at recurring the film with the original material, on DVD in 2007, using Brass’ workprint in 2020 and most recently completely rebuilding the film from the original camera negatives in 2023, which has since been screened at festivals, and is dubbed The Ultimate Cut. This cut is almost completely different, following the script and using all new unique takes, angles and scenes. I don’t think Brass consulted on this cut and wants to peruse legal action.

Event Horizon was a film pitched as a haunted house movie in space. Famed evil resident Paul WS Anderson shot the film quickly, trying to meet a release date ahead of Titanic in 1997, as execs feared that it would crush its competition (which it did). The first test screening was overwhelmingly negative, as the post production period was shortened to only 4 weeks. Excessive gore shot by 2nd unit was never watched by the execs and they were horrified to see when cut into the film within the hell sequences. This was all largely discarded and heavily shortened and digitally altered.
Much of this footage has since been lost and deteriorated after they attempted to make a directors cut upon release of the DVD, as home video sales had made the film a cult classic, as it performed poorly in theatres, commercially and critically. Anderson claims to have a VHS of an early cut, but since has never surfaced. The Shout Factory team tried to track down any other elements of these lost scenes but were unable to find anything for the 4K release. It’s unlikely any of this material will ever surface.

Bloodsport (1988)

Apparently there is a heavily censored cut down version from Finland:

I'd actually like to see this cut replicated but with a high quality source, just for fun. Could call it "The Absolutely Finnished Cut".

Also Spider-Man (2002)

I don't know if a fanedit for this already exists or not, but I'd like to see the version of the movie that has all the Twin Tower stuff still in it.

There is this; https://sonypicturesstockfootage.com/preview/2282049-new-york-city-skyline-35742

And of course there is the robbery scene:

In the video above, in the comment section the guy who actually played the bank manager in the scene said that it was meant to be used as an opening for the movie, so perhaps this could be put back in somehow, and any other material that got cut out due to 9/11.

A workprint cut of Titanic. I wish to see how it would've looked like if it reached it's original release date.

Director's Cut of Spiral: From The Book Of Saw would be interesting to see.

Apparently a lot from the film was cut/edited, especially the traps.
Oh, I would DEFINITELY want to see that! DLB expressed interest in an Instagram post where he posted a BTS photo of the hobby shop scene. He could've been joshing us, but I'd say it's a possibility - so long as there's interest. ;)

Among this scene are a longer version of the Finger Trap and an entirely cut sequence where Detective Drury has his face peeled off! Plus, DLB's earlier cut may have much better editing than the final release.

#ReleaseTheUltraExtremeEdition, anyone? :LOL:

I wanna dd this: Does anyone know of documentaries, videos or films going over troubled productions? Some have great video doccumentation others like Episode IX of SW and Frozen 2 are so hard to come by yet we know there were changes.

Not cuts per say but I'd really love to see the deleted scenes from Rise of Skywalker and all the Indiana Jones movies. I'd also love to see David Yates' Harry Potter films without the digital color grading (though unfortunately the brown of HBP is baked in via camera gels).

Not cuts per say but I'd really love to see the deleted scenes from Rise of Skywalker and all the Indiana Jones movies. I'd also love to see David Yates' Harry Potter films without the digital color grading (though unfortunately the brown of HBP is baked in via camera gels).
Deathly Hallows with natural colour grading - no way I'm passing that up! :D

The production issues behind The Rise of Skywalker are so inconspicuous. It makes you wonder if Disney are deliberately keeping any and all deleted scenes for that film under wraps in fear of having the true extent of their meddling - and incompetence - exposed.

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

As can be read here:

I'd love to see the cut of this movie that had the deleted scene of a young Carolyn, and also with the whole Phaelon sublot:

There was meant to be a subplot where Max's masters on Phaelon were angry and sought to destroy their Trimaxion Drone Ship after it had not only failed to return after its research mission, but also deemed it a rogue AI having downloaded a copy of David's memories and personality into its databanks.

The production issues behind The Rise of Skywalker are so inconspicuous. It makes you wonder if Disney are deliberately keeping any and all deleted scenes for that film under wraps in fear of having the true extent of their meddling - and incompetence - exposed.
Oh absolutely. You can tell because Abrams and Lucasfilm had no qualms about releasing the deleted scenes from The Force Awakens. It also lines up with the art book recall.

Speaking of natural color grading, I wouldn't mind seeing Joker (2019) re-graded to look natural.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can we just convince all studios to release ungraded cuts of every movie they make? It would be really helpful for editing and Harry Potter marathons. Honestly I don't get why every single movie needs to be graded to high heaven. 90s movies feels cozier because of their realistic palettes.

What's the latest on the hunt for the lost cut of the Magnificent Ambersons?

The crack team here at FE dedicated to looking for the lost footage are coming up fruitless once again.

Honestly the footage is gone and is likely to be gone forever. Cut material from a film from the 40s is almost certainly lost since there was no thought of preservation back then. Film was a disposable medium. Once more, please try and go a quick search before asking here. Very easy to find information these days.

I didnt know the site had a crack team for finding lost footage, where can I learn more bout them?

The crack team here at FE dedicated to looking for the lost footage are coming up fruitless once again.

Honestly the footage is gone and is likely to be gone forever. Cut material from a film from the 40s is almost certainly lost since there was no thought of preservation back then. Film was a disposable medium. Once more, please try and go a quick search before asking here. Very easy to find information these days.
Stranger things have happened, they found (most of) the original cut of Metropolis and that's older than Magnificent Ambersons

Stranger things have happened, they found (most of) the original cut of Metropolis and that's older than Magnificent Ambersons

I think Metropolis was always more likely since the original cut had prints struck and was distributed, so there was something out there to be found. The cut stuff from Ambersons was removed in editing and never seen publicly, so I’m sadly less inclined to believe it’s out there. I think Welles still didn’t have it in the 70s when he wanted to recut and reshoot the film.

In my heart, the reels are out there, but in my head, they’re like tears in rain.

Back
Top Bottom