• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor : Love plus Thunder minus Comedy

update on the zeus telepathy bit.
Now it is working much better than the previous version. The blur, the fade out on the corners and Zeus' eyes blowing show that he has telepathy and he is communicating with Thor.

I'm so glad it's turning out well.

Yes @ArtisDead it was so bad !! I was surprised when I was able to create something that actually feels like a decent film. I thought it was irredeemable.

So I upscaled to 8k and doubled the framerate in Topaz, then did this slowdown and zoom effect in resolve. I think it's interesting. As a concept it could work well, but still needs something else.
I would suggest maybe have Zeus walk down the stairs and use footage of Thor looking so we don't see the holding skirt part then. When Zeus is in his face use some transition. But maybe use some light rays maybe some slight stock footage as if we're going into thors mind. And maybe just show the scene as it is. Possibly make the dialogue with some slight echos almost like a dream. You understand what I mean. It's a cool concept so far though

Now it is working much better than the previous version. The blur, the fade out on the corners and Zeus' eyes blowing show that he has telepathy and he is communicating with Thor.
Ok this was a lot better. I'd still overlay some effects slightly shifting the colour

Ok this was a lot better. I'd still overlay some effects slightly shifting the colour
I have been tempted to go ham with corny effects, because of how Zeus is portrayed, but my main intent is to remove comedy from this, not lean into it.
I'm not sure what type of effects I could use that wouldn't be over the top and honestly, I am not practiced in generating effects in video. Never used after effects or anything like that. My fx work is rudimentary at best, I just back it up with my animation training.

Draft 2? hmm yeah I think I got there. I've gone through everyone's feedback so yeah I think this is ready!
  • added vignette and dulled colour in Thor's memories at the intro
  • used AI to remove crystal noises when Thor shouts 'hurrah'
  • used AI to strip dialogue to mix music better when quill is talking to Thor
  • removed ALL references to Axl's name
  • restored Jane eagerly flying through the roof after 'bring the rainbow'
  • restore Thor walking up to mjolnir before he apologises to Jane
  • removed Thor awkwardly making his way to stage while Korg shouts "good luck bro"
  • added some effects to Zeus' eyes
  • replaced zoom in shot of Thor as I'd not realised he was wearing a cloak when he's meant to be nude
  • remove Zeus telling Thor about eternity in psychic vision
  • re-edited whole sequence in interior of boat
  • removed some Korg dialogue I'd missed
  • removed "They're behind me aren't they"
  • fixed audio when Thor is trying to loose stormbreaker
  • restored original end credits sequence of Valhalla; end sequence with Korg narrating is now entirely gone
  • probably fixed some other things I've forgotten.

Draft 2 !!

Last edited:
It seems this bit in this draft definitely isn't working. I was pretty sure it wouldn't work anyway, not sure why I left it in... maybe a marker to build off, I must have been tired on that day XD

so I've experimented with animating and tracking masks. I can't figure out how to animate a polygon in fusion, but the tracking seems to work,even if it is pretty rough if you watch it frame by frame.

aside from the technical aspects, this kind of transition is not really present elsewhere in this movie so stylistically, it might not fit in. For that reason I'm hesitant to keep it in.

Last edited:
First and foremost, great work. I would love a draft sent my way! The concept of the Aether giving Jane cancer was definitely one I wish had appeared in the movie, though for it to have other lasting affects begs the question of how it wasn’t dealt with between Thor 2 and Ultron, while they were still together. In my view, Mjolnir responding to Jane’s presence alone could be enough for it to reforge itself.. but idk.

The telepathy bit is a pretty solid idea but I do wonder why Thor would remain angry, kill Zeus, and steal the thunderbolt after the calm and helpful conversation they had in his mind. Especially with the dialogue from Thor immediately after the telepathy, it seems like Thor is unreasonable. Zeus could 100% be doing a bit for the audience but Thor being in on it seems off, if that’s the angle taken. That said, I should watch the actual draft and go from there.

The first version of the transition from Val to Thor is better, imo, especially with the soundtrack going away. The fade works more smoothly :)

it's a very weird deleted scene to be honest. The actual original scene is set at the place where Jane is in hospital after returning from the black and white realm. there's this odd thing where zeus is hiding behind the curtain while Jane and Thor talk. it really doesn't make much sense due to the animosity that is shown between Zeus and Thor. The only way I can reconcile it is if Zeus is doing a split personality thing. But the scene is necessary to avoid Thor doing a sort of deus ex machina at the end with the kids. Sure Odin could cast a spell on mjolnir, but Thor absolutely hasn't earned that ability by that point. It only makes sense to me if Zeus has provided us with a reason why Thunderbolt could split it's power. It's flimsy but it's a lot better than what Waititi gave us.

it's a very weird deleted scene to be honest. The actual original scene is set at the place where Jane is in hospital after returning from the black and white realm. there's this odd thing where zeus is hiding behind the curtain while Jane and Thor talk. it really doesn't make much sense due to the animosity that is shown between Zeus and Thor. The only way I can reconcile it is if Zeus is doing a split personality thing. But the scene is necessary to avoid Thor doing a sort of deus ex machina at the end with the kids. Sure Odin could cast a spell on mjolnir, but Thor absolutely hasn't earned that ability by that point. It only makes sense to me if Zeus has provided us with a reason why Thunderbolt could split it's power. It's flimsy but it's a lot better than what Waititi gave us.

I was curious too about when it was originally intended. That is really weird. Maybe remnants of reshoots or of an earlier cut? Or maybe it was just always weird and that's why it's deleted.

My first comment on this forum made specifically for this edit. I recently watched another fanedit of the film, a simpler one which was seentially just cutting out a few comedy scenes, but it definitely made it better. So am extremely excited to see this edit.

Not sure if things have changed since your first post, has the Korg narrating to the kids been completely removed? To justify the sillines of the unedited movie, I imagine that it is Korgs version of the story and giving it over the top silliness to entertain the kids in the audience. Without that, it is harder to use that justification, unless the edited movie is a lot lot less silly.

I would love for the latest edit, so I can fully see what you've done.

Last edited:
hi!
Yes, I've removed Korg's narration completely. The intention is to remove all the silliness and just leave the more down to earth subtle humour so it's more along the lines of Ragnarok.

taking another stab at the boat sequence after feedback.

It's a little punchy but it flows well. Within full context of the movie it may work.

I need to fill you guys in on a major revision that came about from feedback.
The introduction to Jane's plight at the start has been cut. New Valhalla, Infinity Conez, dumb play, Mjolnir reassembling, all cut.
When this was suggested to me, I realised it was very bold, but after examination, it makes a lot of sense. This is about Thor, it's his story, and it makes sense for us to learn about Jane more gradually so we can empathise with him better. Flashback to Jane's mom has also been cut. The mystery works well. At least I believe it does. Thanks @freddieflix for the great feedback.

Hi @tremault just wanted to wish you well on this edit, which looks really ambitious. As you know, I was a big fan of what you did with Captain Marvel, and I think you improved Shang-Chi significantly from the theatrical film, too. I haven't really been keeping up with this one as I still haven't watched Waititi's latest film. (I'm not a fan of his movies in general, and I think the slapstick stand-up comedy approach hasn't been what I wanted from an MCU movie, much less a Thor film). You've really got your work cut out for you on this one, but it does look like you're making great strides. Just wanted to say "keep it up!" and maybe I'll be able to check out your edit once you work your magic on the film. :)

qR3lDLv.png

I'm using a single image overlay to create this effect. I'll use tracking to keep it in position. Animating it by hand just wouldn't look good. Hopefully tracking it will do the job. I have no intentions of modelling his face and doing a simulation.
edit:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom