• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

WW : The Excellent Adventure Edit

As I am working on this edit, I realize how much better it could have worked as a third WW movie. If there had been a movie in between the early and late 20th century WITHOUT Steve, this arc would have SO much more meaning.

Anyways, very close to completing a satisfying cut of this! With more Judas Priest. I've done a deeper dive on them than I ever imagined I would.

RiygD2S.jpg

Side note - as a good god-fearing child of the 80s, I was sure rock and roll was pure satanism. Now as an adult, i realize so many of those bands were ABSOLUTELY NOT what I imagined! I mean, KISS sounds like almost like a joke band. I was SO misled. I never had a desire to listen to Judas Priest before, but their music is killer!

Bad Movies Made Less Bad Presents:
A audio mashup of one of the best movies of the 80's with one of the worst DC movies, set in the 80s.

WzSTPnB.jpg

I loved Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure in my youth, one of the few VHS movies i owned and I know it by heart. So dumb, but so great.

I was in the majority that did not love WW84. Especially after so many delays, I thought they had extra time to tighten the movie up, but clearly they did not. Bad... well - so many bad things.

But it popped up for 4.99 on blu ray a couple months ago, and with a few ZSJL edits already released next to zero for this turd, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Main Narrative Changes:
Dialing up the campiness of the score while dialing down the campiness of the script to find the fun movie in between.
Show, don't tell philosophy in effect.
Remove bad CGI Shots.
Fix some of the main plot holes.
  • Steve doesn't inhabit anyone's body
  • Diana doesn't steal a plane and make it invisible, she already has one and reveals it to Steve, avoiding the fuel issue.
  • Barbra doesn't ask for the second wish to be an apex predator, its a side effect of Max's megalomania.
  • Only Max needs to renounce his wish for the world to be fixed.
  • Max gets punishment.

I was also in the group of people that thought WW84 should have dialed up the 80's soundtrack. But Bill and Teds came out in '89, was shot in '87. So I already knew I couldn't lock myself into 84 if I wanted to mix the soundtracks. And while Bill and ted's gave me tons of source material to work with, I needed more. Bill and Ted wanted to work with Eddie Van Halen, so Van Halen leads the additional songs needed.
  • There is also Judas Priest, Pat Benatar, New Wave (The Band), Killing Joke, Vangelis, Oingo Boingo, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Harold Faltermayer and Kenny Loggins.

I've been trying hundreds of songs and many from the 80's are lyrically on the nose but not the right tempo, and picking music like this is admittedly out of my range to be great, but I think the resulting movie is fun!
  • FYI I am open to samples of suggestions for better song choices, I will have an "unscored" version available for potential collaborators to work with. But please no "how about ...?" I have found its easy to armchair QB tossing suggestions, but usually mostly only frustrating. Always open to ideas, but be ready to create a sample to show your idea, rather than just tossing out

I have also been re-foleying most everything because OF COURSE the center channel is no where near clean. Sometime dialogue and overall sound suffers and sometimes sounds "tin-like" and I have been trying ways to rebuild full sound, but most of the time I try to mask with the soundtrack. I recommend subtitles on this one. I'll keep working to make the audio great, but if anyone want to help me on the audio aspects, like helping to clean the center channel better or you can offer better music selection choices., I would be most appreciative.

Heres a sample of the bank robbery intro. More detailed notes to come on the specific cut list. Otherwise, watch for its release someday! Admittedly still bad, but better than before!

Password: fanedit
Oh man this sounds really cool, I can't wait! 😀

OK, here is the main change list for the edit, along with reasoning when appropriate!

Main Changes:

• Themiscyra scene is cut.
    Originally I had trimmed the scene to be less preachy and simply more about the value of truth, but inevitably I could not justify the scene at all. The scene goes against set canon from the first movie about Diana being older when her mother finds out she is training.

• New “Material Girl” music added to Max’s commercial intro. The track was heavily mixed to add an electric guitar overlay to add a slightly more “metal edge” to the sound. Most sound effects during the scene needed to be re-foleyed.

• First look at runner’s face removed.

• New score added to the Mall Heist scene – “Breakaway” by Big Pig, from the Bill and Ted soundtrack.

• Woman initially questioning the thief who drops the gun removed.

• Thieves do not try to talk their co-thief out of using the girl as a hostage.

• Diana does not talk during the Mall heist, doesn’t toss a thief through a drum or doesn’t interact with any chatty kids.

• Removed visual shots of mall reporter and reduced his dialogue.

• Barbara character changes – no running to work intro scene, she ask for Jake’s help, doesn’t ask Diana out to lunch, hasn’t just started working.

• The FBI has simply given the artifacts to the Smithsonian to deal with, they do not need help identifying a single item.

• Carol is less rude to Barbara.

• Scoring from Bill and Teds added to Barbara and Diana’s interactions.

• Barbara recording herself discussing item 23 and 24 removed.

• Diana and Barbara exposition trimmed for “show don’t tell” philosophy.

• Scoring from Bill and Ted’s added to restart of Steve’s watch

• Diana and Barbara’s dinner discussion re-edited to minimize the bad writing.

• Scoring from Bill and Teds added to Barbara’s walk through the park.

• Diana telling Barbara to go home removed.

• Instrumental version of Fever by Judas Priest used for Barbara’s return to the office and use of the stone.

• Instrumental intro of Weird Science from Oingo Boingo used for realization of Barbara’s transformation before meeting Max Lord for the first time.

• Max Lord initial “sinister” look removed, leaving his “sinister look” after seeing the stone as his first “dark reveal.”

• Removed discussion between Max and Diana about not having a TV.

• Removed Diana comparing stone invoice order to business card.

• New soundtrack for Barbara’s dress reveal, changed to instrumental version of Why Don't Pretty Girls (Look At Me) by the Wild Men Of Wonga.

• New soundtrack for the museum gala, changed to Present Communication by The Expression

• Barbara and Max in her office trimmed.

• New soundtrack for the Steve reveal, changed to Why Can’t This Be Love by Van Halen

• FYI Steve does not inhabit another person’s body. Discussions trimmed to remove that part, and blatant references to the other guy’s apartment removed.

• New Soundtrack for Max wishing to become the Dreamstone, changed to a metal cover of Chariots of Fire by Vangelis

• New Soundtrack for Barbara strength reveal, changed to Eighties by the Killing Joke

• Diana and Steve in bed trimmed to feel like its her bedroom, and Steve wardrobe scene has been cut.

• Max asking the FBI agents about the charges removed.

• New soundtrack for Steve exploring the world, changed to Father time by Shark Island, from the Bill and Ted soundtrack

• Removed trash can art discussion

• New soundtrack for Steve at the Air and Space museum, change to the Top Gun Anthem by Kenny Loggins.

• Barbara holding court at work trimmed to remove the glasses part.

• Removed Barbara leaving to go do something after Steve and Diana leave her office.

• Slightly trimmed Diana struggling with the lock.

• Diana doesn’t read the Latin inscription again.

• Diana’s exposition in Max’s office trimmed.

• Diana and Steve do not discuss the problem with commercial flight and passports, and about wanting to fly one.

• New soundtrack for Diana and Steve’s Archive arrival, changed to The Boys and The Girls Are Doin’ It by Vital Signs, from the Bill and Ted soundtrack

• Diana already has an invisible jet, which she stores at the archive and surprises Steve with. (In my opinion, just as plausible as the theatrical explanation lol)

• FX during Diana and Steve’s discussion about flight in the jet to remove colored flashes from fireworks.

• Barbara’s beating of the harasser trimmed slightly

• Emir Said Bin Abydos still has his oil holdings, and Max takes it.

• Removed Steve telling Diana “You keep saying that” in the car ride with Diana in Egypt

• New soundtrack for Egypt battle scene, re-foley needed throughout. Changed to Invincible by Pat Benatar with electric guitar lead mixed in from a metal cover.

• Battle heavily edited. Diana does not flip a truck and land on Max’s vehicle, and she does not save the children. Diana begins the battle, fast running sequence removed, but after she is injured in the arm, she is trapped under a truck while soldiers shoot the tires out. Steve is forced to take over the vehicle Diana is hiding from to allow her to escape, letting the rest of the caravan escape.

• Mention of roman emperor removed from info Barbara gives to Diana, some info about how Barbara obtained the flyer removed.

• New intro music for Barbara reveal heading to Capital Records, change to Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions

• Baba Jide character edited to be less silly

• During the scene with the book, all mentions that EVERYONE needs to return the wishes is removed, focusing only on Max. All mentions about a Monkey Paw from here on are removed. Scene tightened.

• Scene in Max’s office trimmed to remove any references to gaining TV time from the televangelist are removed.

• Max and Alistair discussion trimmed slightly.

• Old people discussing the pandemonium and his cows removed.

• Diana and Steve discussion in her apartment trimmed to remove reference to body possession

• Asteria flashback trimmed to remove discussion about its strength, and FX added to return Asteria’s eyes to blue.

• Max’s discussion with the President about the satellite system is trimmed for pacing and to remove silliness

• Max and Diana confrontation trimmed to remove Steve going for the sword and the exposition about saving lives. Security guard trimmed to only dodge the lasso once before firing on Diana.

• Barbara and Diana fight trimmed slightly, Steve does not use the “new move he just learned” on Max. Barbara and Diana discussion about “what was lost” tightened

• Diana leaving Steve trimmed to remove silly running shot, and Diana learning to fly is cut.

• Max and Barbara’s helicopter ride discussion ends after Max talks about his plan for becoming invincible, and Barbara does not ask more more.

• Initial scene of Alistair scared in Max’s office are moved up to Max’s initial broadcasting message.

• New soundtrack to Diana and Cheetah fight scene, changed to Breaking the Law by Judas Priest. Re-foley required throughout scene. Fight trimmed to minimize the worst CGI. Barbara does not talk in Cheetah form. Large cat growls added for fight vocals, and screeching cat sounds used when she is hurt or being electrocuted. No discussion about renouncing wishes.

• Final confrontation with Max highly edited to remove her attempts to lasso him, instead only resorting to convincing him to renounce his wish. Nuclear government shots moved nearer to the end of the scene, and edited to seem like only America launched, so only the missiles created by wished were destroyed. Shots of Alistair on the freeway are removed. I could not remove “a Beautiful Lie” from the movie as it was so embedded into all the audio channels, but I was able to add a metal cover intro of the song as a lead in to Diana’s monologue before to make it all appropriate for the movie as a whole.

• New soundtrack for the “wishes reversing” section of the scene, changed to a solo electric guitar riff.

• Helicopter transportation of Max removed, we find him just searching somewhere.

• Epilogue for Max in text added to final shot of him hugging Alistair

• Diana dining alone moved to the end, with her seeing the jet as motivation for the next scene, Diana learning to fly. New soundtrack for learning to fly sequence, change to Have You Ever Needed Someone so bad by Def Leppard, and re-foleyed.

• Asteria sequence moved up before credits, trimmed slightly to remove the “my culture” reference. New soundtrack added, changed to Two Heads are better Than One by Power Tool from the Bill and Ted soundtrack. Added "To Be Continued" for that 80's style nod over "mid-credit scenes"

How does Steve NOT end up not stealing a body in a convincing way ? Also in terms of audio look up MAGIX SpectraLayers Pro. It wont be perfect & its a learning curve but think of it as Photoshop for Audio in a way

If you're still after a previewer sign me up

Right on. Upon today's review I caught a couple more audio opportunities, I will PM you a link of the next output. I appreciate it, the constructive criticism of an editor I respect so much will be invaluable! Dwight Fry is currently working on filtering the visuals to be more "80s" like, I would love your thoughts on that considering your knowledge there!

How does Steve NOT end up not stealing a body in a convincing way ? Also in terms of audio look up MAGIX SpectraLayers Pro. It wont be perfect & its a learning curve but think of it as Photoshop for Audio in a way

Thanks for the advice! It doesn't look like SpectraLayers Pro is available anymore, but it also looks cool! However, I have Adobe Audition and they seem somewhat similar. And Audition is quite literally the Photoshop of Audio ;) so my learning curve is minimal in this environment. I use Adobe CC for work so all the editing tools are available to me, and I get the very latest in AI tools that are constantly being updated in the newest releases. I'm all in on Adobe.

As for Steve, its not anything magical, pretty straight forward - no shots of "the other dude" and no discussion of it. Anything that would lend itself to that storyline had to be cut. So not mirror scene, no wardrobe scene, and a ton of very delicate dialogue editing. Steve just arrives at the party, the way he just showed up somewhere else, no watch, no "I wish we had more time." The only plot hole it the delay of time between her wish and the arrival of Steve, but that can be explained away by the fact that Diana did not verbally wish on the dreamstone, so maybe it took longer. This is definitely a "Bad Movie Made Less Bad" so I think reducing big issues to smaller ones like this are better than nothing, and don't hinder the overall narrative nearly as much.

So I got to thinking about the need to show Diana in between the first and second movie to to add depth to this arc, that if I am going to do the edit right, then lets do it as great as possible. (This will help the 'unscored' workprint release as well.)

I am hoping to try to use the photo frames to tell the story of a hidden hero, not saving the works as a whole but saving people here and there. There is an opportunity to tell a better story:
  • Diana kept fighting in smaller ways for those around her, even though she gave up hope in mankind as a whole. In my edit, we do not find her sulking, brooding about Steve this whole time. She is confident as a hidden hero, but happens upon a chance that brings him back, and she realizes AGAIN how much she lost. In a way, it could ADD to the reason she still thinks about him in the present day. She was over him in that she knew he was gone, then had him come back for a while and she had to let him go again. NOW she has PTSD, instead of pouting for 60 years.
So how do we tell an awesome story of the time between movies? Instead of photos of her friends, as much as I love them, what if we replace the photos with more newspaper clippings like the Lundedorff one...

Dp5XJw3.jpg

I am going to start working on the FX to replace the video footage convincingly, in a way that I can update the newspapers later. SO please help, what is appropriate?

Right now, I have her
  1. capturing Hitler to end the war (possibly avoiding dropping bombs on Japan, but not fully clarified.)
  2. rescuing people from a large train crash (This shot will be better on the final, I am not currently satisficed)
  3. rescuing people from a large plane crash
  4. rescuing Patty Hearst before all the drama.

I am trying to capture recognizable moments in history that might work, but I have already avoided some civil rights stuff I tried out of respect to those who were actually hurt.

I also looked at trying to relate old WW comic covers to these, but I don't think I have enough knowledge and the covers I found were too silly. If anyone else does have some ideas about this angle, I think this would be amazing.

Bring on the ideas, and I will create a fake newspaper clipping for it if its a winner!

Last edited:
Right on. Upon today's review I caught a couple more audio opportunities, I will PM you a link of the next output. I appreciate it, the constructive criticism of an editor I respect so much will be invaluable! Dwight Fry is currently working on filtering the visuals to be more "80s" like, I would love your thoughts on that considering your knowledge there!

Thanks for the advice! It doesn't look like SpectraLayers Pro is available anymore, but it also looks cool! However, I have Adobe Audition and they seem somewhat similar. And Audition is quite literally the Photoshop of Audio ;) so my learning curve is minimal in this environment. I use Adobe CC for work so all the editing tools are available to me, and I get the very latest in AI tools that are constantly being updated in the newest releases. I'm all in on Adobe.

As for Steve, its not anything magical, pretty straight forward - no shots of "the other dude" and no discussion of it. Anything that would lend itself to that storyline had to be cut. So not mirror scene, no wardrobe scene, and a ton of very delicate dialogue editing. Steve just arrives at the party, the way he just showed up somewhere else, no watch, no "I wish we had more time." The only plot hole it the delay of time between her wish and the arrival of Steve, but that can be explained away by the fact that Diana did not verbally wish on the dreamstone, so maybe it took longer. This is definitely a "Bad Movie Made Less Bad" so I think reducing big issues to smaller ones like this are better than nothing, and don't hinder the overall narrative nearly as much.
Oh my bad they got purchased by another company https://www.steinberg.net/spectralayers/ & hmmmm the rest sound good Id check it out

Learning moment in stepping up my game to re-score a movie:

Exploring in fan edits motivates me to learn so much more. For this edit, I have been STRUGGLING to get the new score and the new Foley to sound... cinematic.
So many audits, each time watching and making adjustments to each footstep, each punch, just to get that balance just right. And what sounds good on headphones then sounded 'not quite right' on the stereo to 5.1 conversion setup.

All of that frustration forced me to search, and EVENTUALLY to learn. I finally found that there are "Essential Sound" classifications in Premiere Pro for music, dialogue, SFX and ambiance! It took meticulous reclassification for ever audio sound, but it fixed most of the audio issues I have been fighting. While some issues remain, it is light years better - and fixed so much I was trying to do manually. (Research ducking - now I know).
  • In the art school I went to (which was a "technical school" as opposed to the "state" schools,) they taught through assignments that MADE you NEED to learn new skills, instead of "lessons" that told you "what to remember." This method gave you solid reasons for the Need for each tool or skill, and I found myself excelling faster in my skills than my "state" school friends in the same field.
Fanediting also make me better at my normal job ALL THE TIME, and I love that. I have always said that advice is only good when you want it, and this hobby provides so many opportunities to get better. Thank you to everyone who motivates me!

So I got to thinking about the need to show Diana in between the first and second movie to to add depth to this arc, that if I am going to do the edit right, then lets do it as great as possible. (This will help the 'unscored' workprint release as well.)

I am hoping to try to use the photo frames to tell the story of a hidden hero, not saving the works as a whole but saving people here and there. There is an opportunity to tell a better story:
  • Diana kept fighting in smaller ways for those around her, even though she gave up hope in mankind as a whole. In my edit, we do not find her sulking, brooding about Steve this whole time. She is confident as a hidden hero, but happens upon a chance that brings him back, and she realizes AGAIN how much she lost. In a way, it could ADD to the reason she still thinks about him in the present day. She was over him in that she knew he was gone, then had him come back for a while and she had to let him go again. NOW she has PTSD, instead of pouting for 60 years.
So how do we tell an awesome story of the time between movies? Instead of photos of her friends, as much as I love them, what if we replace the photos with more newspaper clippings like the Lundedorff one...

Dp5XJw3.jpg

I am going to start working on the FX to replace the video footage convincingly, in a way that I can update the newspapers later. SO please help, what is appropriate?

Right now, I have her
  1. capturing Hitler to end the war (possibly avoiding dropping bombs on Japan, but not fully clarified.)
  2. rescuing people from a large train crash (This shot will be better on the final, I am not currently satisficed)
  3. rescuing people from a large plane crash
  4. rescuing Patty Hearst before all the drama.

I am trying to capture recognizable moments in history that might work, but I have already avoided some civil rights stuff I tried out of respect to those who were actually hurt.

I also looked at trying to relate old WW comic covers to these, but I don't think I have enough knowledge and the covers I found were too silly. If anyone else does have some ideas about this angle, I think this would be amazing.

Bring on the ideas, and I will create a fake newspaper clipping for it if its a winner!
Was wondering, are you trying to keep this on the same continuity of the Snyder films, just the Wonder Woman films, or a straight up new continuity? I was always under the assumption that the universe was based on ours but what if the DC characters were introduced to it. I like the newspapers Idea but I would go the Quantum Leap route, where the things she fixes or saves leaves us with the real world history that we know happened, just not how it happened. If it's a brand new continuity then do whatever you want.

Was wondering, are you trying to keep this on the same continuity of the Snyder films, just the Wonder Woman films, or a straight up new continuity? I was always under the assumption that the universe was based on ours but what if the DC characters were introduced to it. I like the newspapers Idea but I would go the Quantum Leap route, where the things she fixes or saves leaves us with the real world history that we know happened, just not how it happened. If it's a brand new continuity then do whatever you want.
Yup, trying not to break continuity too much. Besides the fact that Diana isn't lovesick mopey since WW1, but this brush with Steve again makes her character in JL still make sense. She still hides her powers after WW1.
The only major historical change is that Hitler gets captured instead of killing himself, but for the most part she hasn't made any significant change in the interum time. Train and airplane disaster saves, but thats it. (I scrapped the Herst Kidnapping attempt being foiled.)

I do like the idea of Quantum Leap style saves she has done in the past. This edit is mostly finished, but if you have ideas, let me know!

All the cool kids use Adobe!

Vegas is cool. Being very well versed in Adobe since there has been Adobe, its natural for me. Photoshop/Lightroom/After Effects has been my friend for many years.

Back
Top Bottom