• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What would you cut from favourite film?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I couldn't dare cut anything from Back to the Future, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter

Yeah I agree theres a couple of bits missing of BTTF1 in my TV edit to accomodate adapting it to that new format but as for refining the original movie nope a definite no-no.  I have seen some people say the old couple who encounter radiation suit Marty on the highway is overdone but I wouldnt cut it personally..

I feel the same about Raiders of the Lost Ark and Die Hard even though I did cut some of that. Again with that though I was trying to make something different from as oppose to trying to improve the original film.

Alien is one of my favourite films, and the only thing that bothers me about it is the really bad jumpcut between the fake mannequin head of Ash to Ian Holmes face. I'd like to have a go at fixing that at some point, though I'm not really sure how doable it is. I can also never make up my mind whether I prefer the theatrical or Director's Cut.

I agree, Sinbad. Raiders of the Lost Ark is an awesome film - I wouldn't touch it!

Like many of the Episode 4-6 edits, (mostly 4 and 5) they try to make the film a different experience rather than to fix them (War of the Stars, Star Wars Begins, Building Empire, etc.) Same with BTTF (Bootstrap, HVC, Greater Scott)

Some of my other favourites I can agree need a trim like T2, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, and maybe The Last Crusade.

Highlander is possibly my favourite movie of all time, but I would like to get rid of the annoying jump-cuts and obvious stunt doubles. Although, I think this would only be possible with Adywan skills.

Highlander. 

The film about a Scotsman, starring a Scotsman, playing a Spaniard.

latest

I love T2 theatrical cut but I still find all the no problemo hasta la vista hokey when compared to T1.  Its a case of its more coherent thematically without it but its so iconic you kinda miss it too...

Leia kissing Luke in Empire Strikes Back. It felt incestuous to me, especially considering that Leia knew the truth.

Absolutely, Back to the Future 1 as a stand-alone movie is quite perfect as it is. The only change to consider is whether to replace Wells with Shue as Jennifer in the last scene (using the opening scene of BTTF2 as the closing scene of BTTF1). It doesn't make Part 1 any better, it helps Part 2 and creates an in-plot explanation for the actress change.

Other examples on my do-not-touch list:
- ditto for Raiders of the Lost Ark (like BTTF, the sequels are fair game though)
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Rear Window (1954)

In the past I'd have listed the Star Wars OT, but its known universe has expanded so much that I don't mind seeing snippets added in (within reason: seeing the singer's tonsils in Jabba's palace does *not* work for me).

lapis molari said:
Absolutely, Back to the Future 1 as a stand-alone movie is quite perfect as it is. The only change to consider is whether to replace Wells with Shue as Jennifer in the last scene (using the opening scene of BTTF2 as the closing scene of BTTF1). It doesn't make Part 1 any better, it helps Part 2 and creates an in-plot explanation for the actress change.
That was something I wondered about doing in my first episode as the change of actress could feasiblly be that Jennifer's mom had Jennifer with someone else as a result of Marty's meddling in '55 and hence looked somewhat different. It does beg the question as to why he would recognise her straight away though as the film never suggests new memories are formed after timetravel in the narrative we see.  I went for an actress change angle after the 'pilot' in the end though so it takes place when we hit 2015 in Episode 02.

CourtlyHades296 said:
Leia kissing Luke in Empire Strikes Back. It felt incestuous to me, especially considering that Leia knew the truth.

...or making just one change to one of my favourite movies: Removing Leia being Luke's sister from ROTJ.

TM2YC said:
...or making just one change to one of my favourite movies: Removing Leia being Luke's sister from ROTJ.

But why?

Not cut specifically, but there's a bit in Mad Max: Fury Road where the camera zooms in and out a lot and it's very obvious that it was done in post. It looks extremely artificial and awkward. If it were possible, I'd either remove the zooming entirely or redo it so that it looked more natural. Dampen the harshness of the zoom, maybe add some motion blur, etc. But it wouldn't be possible to do that with the existing material.

My second-favorite film is Alien, and I definitely know what I'd cut from that. When Kane gets chestburstered, Veronica Cartwright gives the worst delivery of "Oh, God!" I have ever heard in a movie. If you've seen it, you probably remember what I'm talking about. It always pulls me out of the scene, and if I ever did an edit of Alien, that would be the first thing I'd remove.

Masirimso17 said:
TM2YC said:

But why?

Let's not get too far off topic into a big Star Wars discussion but in short... so all the romantic Luke/Leia/Han tension from SW and (to a lesser extent) ESB doesn't feel off and because it makes no sense as written in ROTJ (For reasons to complicated to go into here).

There are a number of things I'd cut from The Living Daylights - some unnecessary gags, John Terry's terrible Felix Leiter. Also make a new titles sequence and cut a good 10 minutes from the Afghanistan section. It's not perfect by any means. I might edit it someday.

Oh wait wrong thread.

For a serious answer, I'd cut all the "love" (lol) scenes from The Room.

EDIT: Oh wait not all, I'd leave in the Me Underwears guy.

NegaScott128 said:
My second-favorite film is Alien, and I definitely know what I'd cut from that. When Kane gets chestburstered, Veronica Cartwright gives the worst delivery of "Oh, God!" I have ever heard in a movie. If you've seen it, you probably remember what I'm talking about. It always pulls me out of the scene, and if I ever did an edit of Alien, that would be the first thing I'd remove.

It's an odd exclamation, I'll give you that - but it's also a genuine reaction. Ridley Scott didn't tell the actors what was going to happen in the scene. In the film, they are in fact being splashed with real blood (see below), and thier shock is real. On that basis, I see no reason to ditch it. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread about the jump cut with Ash's mannequin head - does her exclamation really bother you more than that? It's a genuinely sloppy piece of editing IMO, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

https://nofilmschool.com/2016/11/ridley-scott-alien-chestburster-scene

I'd change Star Wars so Greedo fired first.

InfatuatedSardonicBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

Pulp Fiction

I'd cut 3 frames from the End Credits.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Theatrical Cut)

During the finale I'd run the Mexican Standoff close-up shots and the music on a loop for 19 minutes, but cut absolutely nothing else from the film.

The Godfather

I'd digitally replace Khartom with Bojack the Horseman.

The Big Lebowski

I'd add a force ghost of Donnie at the end sitting next to the The Stranger at the bar.

Evil Dead 2

I'd add the 3 frames I cut from Pulp Fiction's credits to the beginning credits after the fake studio logo.

Back
Top Bottom