• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What would you cut from favourite film?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Masirimso17 said:
TM2YC said:
...or making just one change to one of my favourite movies: Removing Leia being Luke's sister from ROTJ.

But why?

Let's not get too far off topic into a big Star Wars discussion but in short... so all the romantic Luke/Leia/Han tension from SW and (to a lesser extent) ESB doesn't feel off and because it makes no sense as written in ROTJ (For reasons to complicated to go into here).

Gotcha. Could you go into detail in the Star Wars thread?

Conrad MacIntyre

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Something that's always made me crazy is when Luke first opens the lightsabre and that terrible, horrible, no-good, awful jump cut. Did the opening of the lightsabre displace him in space or what?

After all the meddling Lucas did with Greedo and the "new" Jabba scene, ILM couldn't have spent some time making that cut not look like a film-school project?

So, I would try to find some way to cut that.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Conrad MacIntyre said:
Something that's always made me crazy is when Luke first opens the lightsabre and that terrible, horrible, no-good, awful jump cut.

I think Adywan fixed that one in Revisited.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Conrad MacIntyre said:
Something that's always made me crazy is when Luke first opens the lightsabre and that terrible, horrible, no-good, awful jump cut.

I think Adywan fixed that one in Revisited.

He did.

Conrad MacIntyre

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't go from my beautiful HD Harmy's to an SD version version. Really too bad, cause that Cut List looks awesome.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Conrad MacIntyre said:
I can't go from my beautiful HD Harmy's to an SD version version. Really too bad, cause that Cut List looks awesome.

Honestly, Adywan's SD Revisited looks better than many HD mp4's I've seen.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He is also bringing out an HD version (eventually)

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve thought long and hard about my two favorite movies (Jaws and Halloween) and I really can’t think of anything I would take out. The direction, acting, cinematography, editing, score- I love every bit of it/them.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not take out but add in: the Simon & Garfunkel song 'At the zoo' to the zoo scene in 'The Graduate'.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd probably cut some shots of the stripper in Streets of Fire. It's not entirely out of place, but the scene is a bit uncomfortable to watch with family, and every time I've watched it has been with family. 

My other favorite films are Darkman, Robocop, and Watchmen.
For Darkman, I might cut out some of the overly goofy special effects, such as Payton flying out of the explosion, and trim the weird mental montage thing, but maybe those add to the experience.
Robocop, I can't think of any cuts off the top of my head. 
For Watchmen, the ultimate cut us already perfect...

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see Jackie Chan movies get much discussion on here, but they seem a natural fit for fanediting.  (And I don't mean his Hollywood films...we shall not speak of those.)  Chan's Chinese productions, particularly the old Hong Kong ones, feature some of the best action sequences ever laid to film.  But they often suffer from rushed, incomplete scripts that are cobbled together in editing with re-dubbed dialogue.  Nearly all of them could be trimmed and re-shaped to make a better narrative with less cheesy bits.  Ten of my favorites:
1. Drunken Master II
2. Rumble in the Bronx
3. (Police Story 4) First Strike
4. Armor of God II: Operation Condor
5. (Police Story 3) Supercop
6. Dragons Forever
7. Armor of God
8. Police Story 2
9. Twin Dragons
10. Gorgeous

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha ha!  Right!  I read about that one!  Though Jackie is in FMF for maybe 20 minutes, if I remember correctly.  The original is nuts.  I'll have to give that a look.

My personal favorite JC list changes year to year, but Drunken Master II is always at the top.  You really can't go wrong with his flagship series either, Police Story.  Well, until the handover, when mainland China made the HK film industry implode.  The sequel he made after that was a hot mess...everything that was wrong with the industry is on display there.  But 3 and 4 have some of his most amazing signature prop/location-based fight scenes, and even 1 and 2 are lighter on martial arts but have phenomenal stunt sequences.

Here's a crazy scene from Armor of God which the uploader has manipulated somehow... it's kind of awesome though, but in a different way than the original, which is also awesome.  lol

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Wow...not for me.  I couldn't make it 2 minutes in.  I think I'd best appreciate that in the background at a party where I could occasionally look over and chuckle at the insanity.

Heyyyyy....speaking of cutting from favorite films....TM2YC, I've been reading a lot about your The Star Wars: The Lost Cut.... it seems a shame to just let all that work sit there...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't Breath (2016)
I like the movie but I'd remove that first shot that more or else gives away what happens towards the end of the movie.
I really don't understand what was the thought behind doing that.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Heyyyyy....speaking of cutting from favorite films....TM2YC, I've been reading a lot about your The Star Wars: The Lost Cut.... it seems a shame to just let all that work sit there...

Until somebody creates a music free mix of SW, I doubt I'll get back to that project. There is a "workprint", if anybody is interested send me a PM.

KubrickandtheBeast

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd get rid of the tree scene in The Evil Dead. Even Sam Raimi has said he regrets it, and it just makes the film unpleasant in ways it shouldn't be. It's so pointless, that Evil Dead II's recreation of the first movie reduces it to simply being dragged and whipped by the vines.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
KubrickandtheBeast said:
I'd get rid of the tree scene in The Evil Dead. Even Sam Raimi has said he regrets it, and it just makes the film unpleasant in ways it shouldn't be. It's so pointless, that Evil Dead II's recreation of the first movie reduces it to simply being dragged and whipped by the vines.

Saw the film at the theater last month. Half the audience hadn't seen it before, and most of them were young (under 30 years old). Suffice to say, aside from the volume from movie there was dead silence. Thankfully they enjoyed the rest.

Top Bottom