• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What would you cut from favourite film?

I'm not sure I'd want to see an abusive marriage in IAWL. It's not horrible that Mary is without a man, it's horrible that she is unloved, seen by a man who has lived his life loving her. Sure, to some people, not having a partner isn't the end of the world, but imagine seeing someone you love being unhappy and unloved. Both scenarios give us the same results. The whole message of the movie is to treasure the people in your life, and be kind toward them, but we're shown Mary doesn't even have a friend in the world. I can't imagine living like that, especially in the context of that film. It's not condemning librarians at all (???).

On a similar note, it reminds me of people who complain about the alternate career Picard has as a blue shirt in the Star Trek Next Generation episode "Tapestry." There are plenty of people who are fine at not being the ambitious leader, who treat their job as a job, focusing their life elsewhere. But for Picard, who has dedicated his life to his career, and has clear ambition, there is no worse fate for someone like that. It doesn't condemn people who don't dedicate themselves to their career, but for that particular character in that situation, it's intolerable. Same thing here.

I'm not sure I'd want to see an abusive marriage in IAWL. It's not horrible that Mary is without a man, it's horrible that she is unloved, seen by a man who has lived his life loving her. Sure, to some people, not having a partner isn't the end of the world, but imagine seeing someone you love being unhappy and unloved. Both scenarios give us the same results. The whole message of the movie is to treasure the people in your life, and be kind toward them, but we're shown Mary doesn't even have a friend in the world. I can't imagine living like that, especially in the context of that film. It's not condemning librarians at all (???).

On a similar note, it reminds me of people who complain about the alternate career Picard has as a blue shirt in the Star Trek Next Generation episode "Tapestry." There are plenty of people who are fine at not being the ambitious leader, who treat their job as a job, focusing their life elsewhere. But for Picard, who has dedicated his life to his career, and has clear ambition, there is no worse fate for someone like that. It doesn't condemn people who don't dedicate themselves to their career, but for that particular character in that situation, it's intolerable. Same thing here.
We're talking 1940s Donna Reed here, it's highly contrived that no one else would love her...

Halloween is my favorite film. If I had to cut something, it would be the Marion Chambers character. Pointless time has been wasted to bringing back that character in legacy titles, and I'm already annoyed she's back for Halloween Kills.

We're talking 1940s Donna Reed here, it's highly contrived that no one else would love her...
I'm not saying it's not, but it's thematically relevant and makes sense in the context of the film. It's also contrived that an angel would stop Bailey from killing himself. 🤷‍♂️

Not to mention the proposed fix would still portray her being unloved and unhappy, only abused as you put it by somebody else, which doesn't really fit the tone of Capra's films. If Bailey sees Mary being loved by someone else, that makes him rather egotistical and is counter to the film's message. TM2YC's explanation really nails it.

Last edited:
I don't think I could cut anything from Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It really is a perfect movie.

I would trim some Eyes Wide Shut scenes for pacing reasons, and change the soundtrack to something more somber, rearrange the scenes into a more stream of consciousness manner, out of chronology, evoking the dream-like aesthetic.

And finally ending the movie on the shot of the mask in the bed besides Alice (or the scene of Bill crying with Alice), re-crop the movie in 2.76:1 aspect ratio, and call it "Dream Story".

I would trim some Eyes Wide Shut scenes for pacing reasons, and change the soundtrack to something more somber, rearrange the scenes into a more stream of consciousness manner, out of chronology, evoking the dream-like aesthetic.

And finally ending the movie on the shot of the mask in the bed besides Alice (or the scene of Bill crying with Alice), re-crop the movie in 2.76:1 aspect ratio, and call it "Dream Story".

I think the mask on the bed would be a perfect more Dream-like ending!

Nice ideas, except for the Pan & Scan.
The above video explains why preserving Original Aspect Ratio is important.

Galatea singing "If i only had a heart" in Bicentennial Man

Back
Top Bottom