• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2021: and the WINNERS are...! here Congratulations!

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Teresa Banks and the Last Seven Days of Laura Palmer

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,890
Reaction score
1,119
Trophy Points
163
Neglify said:
Wait. You removed the first shot? Did you put the shot of uncovering her face back to where it belongs?

The uncovering of her face happened twice: once before the "Several Months Later" bit and then once after. I removed the first.
 

sonnybaker

Well-known member
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
What about Coop's last red room scene?! It fades to black in the middle of a crossfade - a crossfade to the same shot that Laura's corpse went to!! Obviously Lynch did that deliberatley. It is supposed to be the last scene before Laura and her angel. Leaving it the way it is in The Missing Pieces makes it feel unfinished and strange, of course Lynch couldn't do anything about this for The Missing Pieces because he wasn't editing the scenes back in but you can correct this Q2!
 

sonnybaker

Well-known member
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
Q2 said:
The uncovering of her face happened twice: once before the "Several Months Later" bit and then once after. I removed the first.
Why would you remove the second and not the first? What is with these stubborn creative liberties!? It doesn't make sense after the some months later scenes! Why don't you just take that shot of Laura from the pilot and slow it down to match FWWM so you have the shot without the theatrical crossfade? That way you can fade it to the some months later stuff.
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,890
Reaction score
1,119
Trophy Points
163
sonnybaker said:
Why would you remove the second and not the first? What is with these stubborn creative liberties!? It doesn't make sense after the some months later scenes! Why don't you just take that shot of Laura from the pilot and slow it down to match FWWM so you have the shot without the theatrical crossfade? That way you can fade it to the some months later stuff.

Relax. It's because I wasn't thinking. After writing that I went back and looked through the script to make sure I got the pieces right before rendering everything out and realized I removed the wrong one. It's been corrected.

Sheesh.
 

tombrun

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
I don't really understand the negative comments here. Q2 is doing an amazing job with this. As of now, he's the only one doing anything about this, so I'm congratulating him on a great job. I'm looking forward to your new version, and I'm sure it will be close to (if not) perfect. Thanks for doing this!
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
5,348
Reaction score
794
Trophy Points
163
tombrun said:
I don't really understand the negative comments here. Q2 is doing an amazing job with this. As of now, he's the only one doing anything about this, so I'm congratulating him on a great job. I'm looking forward to your new version, and I'm sure it will be close to (if not) perfect. Thanks for doing this!
I've been thinking the same thing. The work and time put into this is much appreciated, Q2!
 

sonnybaker

Well-known member
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
I do appreciate all the work that is being put into this edit, I really do. Q2, you are a fantastic editor and I'm sorry if I come off as harsh - I just want you to do the best you can with this edit. I loved your Blue Velvet edit, and Northwest Passage. I even liked Memories Alone better than the two original films it's made of. You are a wonderful editor. You are going to receive major praise from all over the web for V2 of this edit! It will finally be FWWM the way it should have been. Thank you!
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
sonnybaker said:
What about Coop's last red room scene?! It fades to black in the middle of a crossfade - a crossfade to the same shot that Laura's corpse went to!! Obviously Lynch did that deliberatley. It is supposed to be the last scene before Laura and her angel. Leaving it the way it is in The Missing Pieces makes it feel unfinished and strange, of course Lynch couldn't do anything about this for The Missing Pieces because he wasn't editing the scenes back in but you can correct this Q2!

All right, hold on a second here. Firstly, let's calm it down with the excla!mation points.

Now, I do see your point in the shots matching, but the way Q2 edited it is how it is according the script. If that's the guide, then Q2 done did fine. I like the idea you have, but if Q2 doesn't want to do it, he's doesn't need to be badgered into agreeing with you.

Here is how the scenes play out according to the script. (If you have a different script, great, link it up.)

- Leland enters the Red Room. Garmonbozia.
- "At high tide Laura Palmer's body is floating up to and bumping against the logs."
- "TWO MONTHS LATER"
- Annie brought to the hospital, very short.
- Cooper in the Red Room. "...there is no place to go BUT HOME!"
- Annie in the hospital. Nurse puts the ring on her finger.
- Post-Finale scene, Cooper/Bob in the hotel bathroom.
- Laura and Cooper in the Black Lodge.

Q2 follows this almost exactly. The only deviance is he has the body floating and the face money-shot after Cooper/Bob in the bathroom. I just watched that segment a second time and Q2, I only see this shot happening once, after Two Months Later. I agree with sonny's suggestion of using the Pilot for that one shot, scene 230 in the script.

And again, I'm glad to hear of the work you're putting into this, especially going back and doing the little things that could be done to improve upon a fantastic fanedit experience.
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
errork said:
is V2 up yet?

doh.gif
 

asterisk73

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
(First post. I was waiting for this.)

I've not yet seen the Q2 V1 edit of FWWM, but I'm glad I DL'd before it got either updated by Q2 or canned by Mega. Really looking forward to grabbing V2 now, too. Thanks.
 

sonnybaker

Well-known member
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
I only keep bringing up the Coop crossfade thing because since the shot of Laura is now before the some months later stuff, it would be easier to blend the Coop crossfade with whatever is left of that red room shot from the theatrical version. Thematically it also makes sense - Coop's last red room scene is a return to an earlier scene in the film and it also somewhat tells us that he is trapped, the lodge may be his home now and the angel has come exclusively for Laura. As it stands, the scene fades to black in the middle of a crossfade which makes absolutely no sense. I know that the order in the edit matches the script but why did Lynch crossfade to that particular shot if his intentions were to end the scene rather than lead into Laura and her angel?
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,890
Reaction score
1,119
Trophy Points
163
sonnybaker said:
I only keep bringing up the Coop crossfade thing because since the shot of Laura is now before the some months later stuff, it would be easier to blend the Coop crossfade with whatever is left of that red room shot from the theatrical version. Thematically it also makes sense - Coop's last red room scene is a return to an earlier scene in the film and it also somewhat tells us that he is trapped, the lodge may be his home now and the angel has come exclusively for Laura. As it stands, the scene fades to black in the middle of a crossfade which makes absolutely no sense. I know that the order in the edit matches the script but why did Lynch crossfade to that particular shot if his intentions were to end the scene rather than lead into Laura and her angel?

It's not always that easy. It's not like we, as faneditors, are working with raw unedited footage. We're working with what we're given. So if the footage has crossfades, or audio layers and cues spanning six tracks it is a juggling act to get everything to work in tandem. You could have the video edited perfectly but then the audio transition is off my a half second. Fix that and then suddenly the video is off. I think the logistics is sometimes forgotten by non-editors; it's easy to say just do it this way, but in reality it's not feasible.
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
5,348
Reaction score
794
Trophy Points
163
sonnybaker said:
...why did Lynch...?

I find myself asking variations of this all the time watching anything by Lynch.
 

Gatos

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
3,467
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
46
Q2 said:
It's not always that easy. It's not like we, as faneditors, are working with raw unedited footage. We're working with what we're given...I think the logistics is sometimes forgotten by non-editors; it's easy to say just do it this way, but in reality it's not feasible.

preach3.gif
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
sonnybaker said:
As it stands, the scene fades to black in the middle of a crossfade which makes absolutely no sense.

That is exactly how it is in the Missing Pieces! And I think the fade to black worked great, allowing the audience to mourn for Cooper for a moment before going back to Annie in the hospital. To me that fade to black signifies Cooper's final entrance into the Red Room.
 

FlipMac007

Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
I am watching the new blu ray of the series and will be sure to watch this version cold. I will avoid the deleted scenes on the disc. I just watched my first edit and was blown away. This should be very interesting. Did you think to turn it into 5 "lost" episodes?
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,890
Reaction score
1,119
Trophy Points
163
FlipMac007 said:
I am watching the new blu ray of the series and will be sure to watch this version cold. I will avoid the deleted scenes on the disc. I just watched my first edit and was blown away. This should be very interesting. Did you think to turn it into 5 "lost" episodes?

No. That wasn't something I was interested in doing.
 
Top Bottom