• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Teresa Banks and the Last Seven Days of Laura Palmer

sonnybaker said:
Conformation of his disappearance is the fact that Coop is looking for him. The insinuation would be that Cooper was assigned to follow up on the Desmond disappearance, so after Desmond disappears then we go to Philadelphia for the Diane scene, then Coop at Stanley's then Fat Trout. Simple. We get it. He's investigating. We don't need to be spoon fed exposition to make this any more clear. Then, we go one year later for the Jeferies return.
I'm not saying it would be hard to understand, I just believe - and believe is all we can do, since none of us are actually editing this, unlike Q2 - that the flow would be weird. About spoonfeeding, the script which you want to adhere to is doing exactly that by having Cole shouting the line. Until I try editing it myself, I'll take the opinion of Lynch and Engels, who believed this was necessary (twice, since the line was even moved around) over some random dude on the internet. No offence. :)

I'm on vacation this week, but I have read through comments and when I get back here are a few changes I will be making for the BR version (as well as an updated MP4 version).

- corrected dates (I thought it worked better this way but obviously I was wrong)
- I will try to re-organize the scenes to get the Bobby/Laura $10k scene and drug testing scenes in, but even with a shuffling of scenes I don't think it will flow properly since certain scenes that bump up to those in the script are missing in the movie. I will try though.
- Laura being found is shown twice. This was intention but it seems to have confused people so I will be removing one of them.
- Cooper/Diane scene WILL NOT be restored but I will do a scene comparison so those adamant it should be added can see why it doesn't work.

theslime said:
I'll take the opinion of Lynch and Engels, who believed this was necessary (twice, since the line was even moved around) over some random dude on the internet. No offence. :)

the forum said:
2 out of 3 members like this post.

LOL, 1 random dude on the internet does not like this post.

Q2 said:
I'm on vacation this week, but I have read through comments and when I get back here are a few changes I will be making for the BR version (as well as an updated MP4 version).

Ugh, so now I gotta redownload a 12 GB MP4? It's good you're fixing things up, just wish you know, it was done right the first time. Oh well. I'm in the middle of watching V1, I may just wait for V2 or I may finish V1 and leave a review for that.

Ugh, so now I gotta redownload a 12 GB MP4? It's good you're fixing things up, just wish you know, it was done right the first time. Oh well. I'm in the middle of watching V1, I may just wait for V2 or I may finish V1 and leave a review for that.

You don't need to re-download anything. I'm very pleased with this version. There are no video or audio glitches that I know of, the only thing that seems to be the major issue is the dates listed (done the way I did it intentionally), and the placement of Laura's body wrapped in plastic at the end. It's done twice, once before the Dale Red Room stuff, and once after. Again... this was done intentionally. So two "fixes" that aren't really glitches at all.

Then there is the debate about whether or not to add the Cooper/Diane scene even if my "edit will suffer a bit." I'm not willing to make that compromise so it will remain out. And I'm still not sure I can get the Bobby/Laura stuff in because certain other scenes/shots are still missing, and without sufficient lead-in or out it will feel awkward. If that is the case it will remain out. Just in case I'm wrong and others are right I'm going to take another look and make sure I'm not wrong on this one.

Q2 said:
[/COLOR]And I'm still not sure I can get the Bobby/Laura stuff in because certain other scenes/shots are still missing, and without sufficient lead-in or out it will feel awkward. If that is the case it will remain out. Just in case I'm wrong and others are right I'm going to take another look and make sure I'm not wrong on this one.
So the other scene of Laura and the fan is missing but everything else is there!

1zyegkg.png

I loved the edit and thought it was great work by Q2 as usual and I dont think the Cooper/Diane scene added anything to overall
story and I enjoyed the edit.

Agreed, it's a nice little scene but it adds nothing, if anything it kinda messes up the mood of those scenes. Same with Bobby testing the drugs, it's fun but not necessary, i just mentioned the 10K scene because it plays into the events of the series. If that scene can't work then it's not a huge loss or anything (it was deleted after all!), but couldn't all those scenes be put in a seamless branch playlist for the BD, or has Blu authoring not reached that stage yet? As for the days, i don't really care if they don't follow the script, the movie itself doesn't follow the script verbatim, but because Friday is mentioned by Laura and Leland in the car that locks the previous scene to that day, and party land has to be a Saturday because the day after is obviously not a school day.

I'm liking it so far (it's an investment of time to watch).
Re some of the comments about deleted scenes that weren't included and the chronology of some of what is, sometimes when a scene is cut the original scene that it was extracted from is cut more or even reused/repurposed in such a way that when you do obtain the deleted scenes you aren't able to re-work them in as was intended in the script. I've run into this on a couple of projects that I've done. I know in season 2 of the Walking Dead I wasn't able to use a deleted scene due to the part that was left being used in an altogether different context in the parent episode and I also ran into this issue when making my extended edition of "A Mighty Wind."

I really appreciate your work on this, it is more of what I was hoping to see in a theater twenty years ago. The original FWWM reminds me of the "Readers Digest" version of Wim Wenders "Until the End of the World" in that the cuts are so obvious that they often feel like speed bumps when you watch the movie because it is so clear that *something* is missing right there.

Got a takedown notice from Mega. Some party pooper reported it, so if you can't get it anymore that's why.

Q2 said:
Got a takedown notice from Mega. Some party pooper reported it, so if you can't get it anymore that's why.

Wasn't me, I swear !

I'm a long die hard fan of Twin Peaks. The idea seems excellent and, as to my knowledge David Lynch doesn't released any extended/director cut this is a must check for me.
Will try to get your edit and post a review after i see it.

Any chance for a re-up? I was waiting for this- but caught the news about your edit a bit too late...
:-(

I will be re-posting it after I make a few corrections as noted earlier. Hopefully next week some time.

(Note from the future: Review was revised for v2.1)

Review, posted on IFDB:

(Note. The following is criticism not of the faneditor’s person or character, but his work.)

A/V Quality – 10/10. Very nice!

Editing – 7/10.
Overall the editing was decently done, but at times it felt obviously Frankensteined together. Some of the transitions were a bit clunky (and I will note them in the forum thread). I think it lacks a certain finesse and more time should have been spent fine-tuning. It came across, to me at least, that the editor said to himself, “This is good enough” and was more eager to release it than to work on it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that’s the impression I got as I watched it. And I have a strong annoyance at people (not just this editor and not just the people who visit this site) who are in too much of a rush to get to the finish line and cut corners hastily, turning out something that could have and should have been better. I've done it myself, I'm not without sin.

Narrative/Improvement – 9/10.
In terms of the-(almost-)longest-version-you-could-watch, this was excellent. The pacing was great and the editor mostly chose well for what goes where. I’m not a huge TP fanatic so I don’t have a problem with the way the days of the week were laid out. Although I do think some of the forum comments are valid, and I especially think it could have been recut and shuffled around a little bit more, but I guess that wasn’t the purpose of this, which is fine.

The only major criticism of narrative is misplacing the “discovering Laura’s body” shot, which Q2 says he’s fixing in Version 2.

…….I’ll add my 2 cents about the scenes that didn’t make the cut.

Coop & Diane – Agree it’s not needed and throws the tone and rhythm off. If I were editing this and someone had a gun to my head, telling me to put it in or I’m dead, I would have had it as an end credits teaser after 2 minutes of black screen. (But it could be utilized in Northwest Passage – The HD Redux.)

$10,000 & Laxatives – These could have and should have been included. It would have required some editing, but it’s pretty simple to do. And they’re good story/character scenes, so why not.

Enjoyment – 8/10.
Hells to the yes this extended version was awesome. If it only were put together better.

-------------------
Editing notes. I figure, since you're making a V2, these could be improved. For all of these moments, I compared the fanedit to both the theatrical cut and the Missing Pieces.

0:38:20 – Crossfade from Buenos Aires to Philadelphia looks and sounds sloppy.

0:53:33 – The crossfade here is ok as it is, but I feel it would work better if you kept the Missing Pieces shot of Laura and Donna walking away and used that to do a slightly slower fade. Or just cut from Bobby & Mike to Laura & Donna in school. EDIT: The fade is from the theatrical cut, my mistake.

1:06:09 – The “quick fade” you used here was too quick. Just keep it a cut to black and hold on black, cut to Laura coming home. You might have to do some editing; looping the ambient sound to make a smoother audio transition could work nicely.

1:20:18 – Music comes in just a little too abruptly. (This may be way too much of a nitpick, but it caught my ear.)

1:41:05 – Crossfade here is way too fast.

2:21:27 – Bad crossfade, audio should have faded out more, too abrupt. You could have just kept the theatrical fade to black, then fade up to deleted scene while fading out audio.

2:24:57 – I don’t understand why you added this fade to black.

2:27:33 – Music swelling up is too fast and loud, abrupt.

2:45:49 – Crossfade is too quick. Lynch may have pulled them off well, but you didn’t.

3:08:49 – Audio cut felt ever so abrupt, just a teensy bit. (May be another nitpick.)

(Ah crap, you thanked me in the credits. Now I look like a total jerkface.)

Really looking forward to seeing how this works with all the scenes included. I'm pretty new here, the only other Fan Edit I've stumbled across was the Dune Spicediver edition, which I loved. Very interesting community!

Tweaked the edit this evening. First I'll comment on Neglify's critique, and then I'll explain the other changes.

Neglify said:
0:38:20 – Crossfade from Buenos Aires to Philadelphia looks and sounds sloppy.

Hard to sound choppy since it was a fade. Choppy, to me, would have been a weird straight cut. But I understand what you were getting at and have tweaked it.

0:53:33 – The crossfade here is ok as it is, but I feel it would work better if you kept the Missing Pieces shot of Laura and Donna walking away and used that to do a slightly slower fade. Or just cut from Bobby & Mike to Laura & Donna in school.

Interestingly this was a David Lynch edit, not me. It's as it was in the theatrical cut. (As an aside I see you have amended this comment since I mentioned it to you you in PM.)

1:06:09 – The “quick fade” you used here was too quick. Just keep it a cut to black and hold on black, cut to Laura coming home. You might have to do some editing; looping the ambient sound to make a smoother audio transition could work nicely.

You can't just loop it because of the multiple layers of audio on each track. Audio crossfades and others fade low. That said I have tweaked it.

1:20:18 – Music comes in just a little too abruptly. (This may be way too much of a nitpick, but it caught my ear.)

Added a small fade up to make it less abrupt.

1:41:05 – Crossfade here is way too fast.

Been fixed with the shuffling of some scenes.

2:21:27 – Bad crossfade, audio should have faded out more, too abrupt. You could have just kept the theatrical fade to black, then fade up to deleted scene while fading out audio.

I wasn't really pleased with the way I did it, but I didn't like how the theatrical cut blended with the scene either. But a week away and viewing it again your suggestion is the lesser of the two evils so I went with that.

2:24:57 – I don’t understand why you added this fade to black.

Because I didn't like the straight cut. But with the shuffling of a scene a straight cut now works.

2:27:33 – Music swelling up is too fast and loud, abrupt.

Tweaked.

2:45:49 – Crossfade is too quick. Lynch may have pulled them off well, but you didn’t.

Tweaked. As an aside, your offhanded comment was dickish and not appreciated.

3:08:49 – Audio cut felt ever so abrupt, just a teensy bit. (May be another nitpick.)

Other noted changes:

• jlyon1515 sent me updated date legends so I've replaced what I had. I also went back to starting on Thurs. and skipping Mon. and people seemed to think I did this in error. (I didn't, but obviously this choice struck a nerve with people so I went back to how it was written.)

• I added the $10k scene and drug testing scene back in. To do it I had to move the scene where James visits Laura to where it takes place in the script. It wasn't easy and took a couple hours of work to pull it off.

• I moved the Packard Mill scene to the beginning of Tuesday.

• Removed the first Laura wrapped in plastic shot.

Q2 said:
Hard to sound choppy since it was a fade. Choppy, to me, would have been a weird straight cut. But I understand what you were getting at and have tweaked it.

He said sloppy, not choppy.

Good to know of the fixes! :)

Q2 said:

I said sloppy not choppy.

Definition from Oxford American Dictionary (Concise) 1980:
"not doing things carefully, not done or arranged carefully"

Q2 said:
  • Removed the first Laura wrapped in plastic shot.

Wait. You removed the first shot? Did you put the shot of uncovering her face back to where it belongs?

TV's Frink said:
He said sloppy, not choppy.

doh.gif

My mistake and apologize for quoting wrong.

Back
Top Bottom