• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Transformers 2

I liked the first Transformers in a guilty pleasure sort of way. I never watched the original Transformers, but it was certainly easy enough to go along for the ride. There are SO many reasons why I liked the first one and hated the second one (and not just because it's cool to hate Transformers 2), but I'll just name a few:

---I don't normally dislike Shia LaBeouf, but he was really bad in this one IMO. Whereas in the first one he was kind of an awkward high school student who wasn't very good with the ladies (probably not a stretch), in this one he was just really cocky and stuff making out with Megan Fox, thinking he's really cool. Oh, and the I can't say I love you until the end sub-plot was just laughably cliche.

---The special effects and action sequences, while impressive, were simply mind-numbing. I literally had to turn away and stop watching a few times because the robot battles were so long (I don't say that much).

---The humor, one of the highlights of the first one for me, simply didn't strike the same chords as the first one. The mom being stoned thing was particularly stupid; I'm actually not sure if I laughed once during this movie (when I was supposed to).

Overall I just really didn't care at all about the characters or the plot in this one like I did with the first one. I'm not sure even a strong edit of this film could save it, because even if the very worst material was cut, we're still left with a movie that I don't care about.

I'm not sure where the disconnect was in this one that wasn't there for me with the first. The first for me was an enjoyable popcorn flick, it had a nice balance between enjoyable characters, great action, and Megan Fox. That's all I was looking for in this one. What I got was a reeeeaaallly long movie that I just wish I hadn't seen.

What really makes me hate this movie, is the fact the makers didn't even try. The plot makes no sence what so ever, the movie is filled with lame jokes and annoying characters and the reason is simple: the makers didn't care about anything but visuals and selling more toys. I just find it insulting they don't even try to give the viewer a story or a plot or anything. I mean, Wolverine, Terminator and Star Trek for example are bloated, full of effects blockbusters, BUT at least they try to give the audience something to care about - story, characters, stuff like that. I'm not saying they did it good, but they tried. Transformers doesn't care. It's fart jokes and explosions. If you concentrate on the story and the characters, it's just facepalm after facepalm.

So, yeah, that's my reason for not liking it. Plus the fact it did pretty good in the boxoffice, wich is a green light to make the third one even larger and dumber (If that's even possable). I'm not saying a fan edit can't fix it. In fact, the only way I'm watching it again is if someone edits all the crap out. With less facepalm-inducing material it could probably be an ok movie.

Relentless666 said:
What really makes me hate this movie, is the fact the makers didn't even try. The plot makes no sence what so ever, the movie is filled with lame jokes and annoying characters and the reason is simple: the makers didn't care about anything but visuals and selling more toys. I just find it insulting they don't even try to give the viewer a story or a plot or anything. I mean, Wolverine, Terminator and Star Trek for example are bloated, full of effects blockbusters, BUT at least they try to give the audience something to care about - story, characters, stuff like that. I'm not saying they did it good, but they tried. Transformers doesn't care. It's fart jokes and explosions. If you concentrate on the story and the characters, it's just facepalm after facepalm.

So, yeah, that's my reason for not liking it. Plus the fact it did pretty good in the boxoffice, wich is a green light to make the third one even larger and dumber (If that's even possable). I'm not saying a fan edit can't fix it. In fact, the only way I'm watching it again is if someone edits all the crap out. With less facepalm-inducing material it could probably be an ok movie.

Soo, Bay & Company didn't make this movie for kids, but they made it to sell toys....

And... Wolverine? Really?

I'm not really sure how there's not a plot. I mean it's a bloated and somewhat leaky plot, but it's there.

I'd like anyone to name a summer action Sci-Fi movie that doesn't have plot holes.

Again, I'm not defending ROTF in its entirety, I just think it's not the worst movie ever, as many claim it is. If anything, it's too TF-fan oriented, without explaining the TF stuff to non-fans.

reave said:
Again, I'm not defending ROTF in its entirety, I just think it's not the worst movie ever, as many claim it is. If anything, it's too TF-fan oriented, without explaining the TF stuff to non-fans.
If that was true, don't you think they would've focused more of the story and character development on the Transformers themselves and not on the sh*thead humans? :roll:

(it's the same problem that the first TF had, but it seems much worse in RotF for some reason)

reave said:
Soo, Bay & Company didn't make this movie for kids, but they made it to sell toys....s.
Hey, it's Michael Bay! He thinks he can do both. :p

Personally i don't have a thing against the TF brand but I do against bad filmmaking personified in Michael Bay. (Between him and Ronald Emmerich... oi vay)
Hey is joebshmoe out of the hospital yet? He should have never gone IMAX. Poor lad.
I wonder if he's got enough gray cells left to give us his review... of Giant robots on a Giant Screen and added footage.

And Reave, not only do I think that you ARE a Transformers apologist, you're also a Michael Bay apologist.
Admit it dude. :p
And stop looking at my Avatar. :wink:

reave said:
Soo, Bay & Company didn't make this movie for kids, but they made it to sell toys....

And... Wolverine? Really?

I'm not really sure how there's not a plot. I mean it's a bloated and somewhat leaky plot, but it's there.

I'd like anyone to name a summer action Sci-Fi movie that doesn't have plot holes.

Well, "Wolverine" was bad, no doubt about that. I wanted to give examples with new summer movies of the same type.
Plot holes are common in most summer movies, but how many plot holes can one ignore? I just feel like with TF2 Michael Bay and Co. only wanted to make a good trailer and filled the other 120 minutes with fart jokes and scenes copied from other movies (Terminator, The Matrix, Indiana Jones). It's not the worst movie ever. It just feels lazy even for a summer movie.

As my gf said to me: "Most summer movies are like bad love novels written by teens. TF2 is like a bad love novel written by members of "Jackass". Also printed without anyone doing a spellcheck."

Saw that one a while ago. It's funny every time. :D

It's not online, but in the newest (Michael Jackson) Entertainment Weekly, there's a half-page practically begging for a TF2 fan edit, with a guide on how to get it down to 94 minutes. EW vs. Reave... the game is afoot! :lol:

Gaith said:
It's not online, but in the newest (Michael Jackson) Entertainment Weekly, there's a half-page practically begging for a TF2 fan edit, with a guide on how to get it down to 94 minutes. EW vs. Reave... the game is afoot! :lol:
Now who's gonna tackle TRANSFORMERS 2: THE EW EDIT? :)

I SAW THAT! Just wish they would've used the word fanedit. I would have squealed!

Alright EW, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Thanks - Been lurking for some time...

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The problem is that the extra nonsense really destroyed all the good stuff. Not so much to render it unwatchable, just enough to make you walk out like, Damn, glad that's over. In the end, people will be talking about the robot battles - not the dipstick twins or the idiotic mom, or the fart jokes or the juvenile humor overall.

What got me excited about this was taking it on as a fan edit project. Sad, but true. I plan on starting with cutting all scenes that feature the twins talking. I don't mind them being in the movie, but when they open their mouths, they really kill brain cells. I also plan on taking out the majority of the scenes with the parents. I think they add to the theme of loss, but they just were too much to handle at times. And of course, removing as many fart jokes as possible. Probably hard to cut Jetfire's asinine geriatrics, but I'm sure we can overlook that one...

The biggest thing that Bay forgot was "kill your babies." Every great director knows that in order to tell the story you've got to get rid of the fluff. It's great that it took 6 months and 3 million dollars to get that scene, but ultimately you've got to let the story tell itself. Detouring us into pot brownie land and wrecking ball scrotum really doesn't make us love a movie. And, ultimately, that's why we're here - to love movies.

This movie had the potential to really be great. We had the setup in the last movie, we could have moved onward with our favorites and introduced new ones... but the focus wasn't on that - sadly it looks like they just pushed up a deadline and made sure all the toys were on the shelf prior to that deadline.

I'm not looking for the video, but there was an interview by Jim Carrey after he made Cable Guy. He basically said, "Hey, I scored 20 million. What do I care?" when asked about the movies poor performance. After seeing this movie, I get the feeling that Bay's attitude is about the same.

And the biggest excitement I got was walking out thinking, "I can't wait to edit this thing into something better."

Can I request of the various editors that among those already mentioned, one particular very short scene is removed - Galloway has just met Prime for the first time, asked him if the autobots will leave if requested, Prime says yes but cautions him. Then the part to remove: Lennox says something ridiculous with a petulant look on his face, basically agreesing with Prime.

Remember that scene? Well, it needs to go. Totally rubbish line and goes against Lennox's character.

Lennox says, "That's a good point." How is that against character?

Although I do actually agree about the shot...ending the scene on the gravity of Prime's words is better than someone chiming in with what amounts to, 'Yeah!' :)

Uncanny Antman said:
Lennox says, "That's a good point." How is that against character?

Perhaps my main problem is the WAY that he says it, thrusting his neck forward with a ridiculously petulant look on his face.

Although I do actually agree about the shot...ending the scene on the gravity of Prime's words is better than someone chiming in with what amounts to, 'Yeah!' :)

Agreed. Thank you. :D

WTF was up with the old timer??? utterly horrible and when he said bollocks i nearly whinced. :( i had zero expectations after reading this thread but even then it was still pretty meh.

nOmArch said:
WTF was up with the old timer??? utterly horrible and when he said bollocks i nearly whinced. :( i had zero expectations after reading this thread but even then it was still pretty meh.
Kup could kick his ass easily, no doubt. :wink:

Jetfire (his character in the movie) should have been called Kup. It would have been easier to swallow his actions/voice.

reave said:
Jetfire (his character in the movie) should have been called Kup. It would have been easier to swallow his actions/voice.

So replace his name with Kup then.

Back
Top Bottom