• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Top Ten Movies

Ranking the Batman movies... Now this is where my opinions get controversial. Though disclaimer, some of these I haven't seen in a while, so their placement might not be accurate. Also only doing the theatricals. 

1 Batman V Superman 
2 Batman Returns 
3 Batman The Movie
4 Dark Knight
5 Batman Begins
6 Lego Batman
7 Batman Forever 
8 Batman 89
9 Batman Mask of the Phantasm 
10 Dark Knight Rises
11 Batman and Robin

Ranking Batman movies?  

ok, I will play too....

10.  Batman V. Superman  (more I watch it, the more I hate it)
09.  The Dark Knight Rises  (great film, terrible Batman movie)
08.  Batman and Robin  ( I try to pretend it's Batman 66... plus it has Uma!!!! A definite redeeming factor)
07.  Batman Forever  (some great moments lost in over the top madness)
06.  Batman the movie 1966  (somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb)
05.  Batman (too much Jack, not enough Bat)
04.  Batman Begins  (flawed but game changing)
03.  Batman Returns  (purrrrrr.....)
02.  The Dark Knight (spellbinding)

01.  Batman Mask of the Phantasm  (sheer perfection!)

:D

Spider-Man Ranking

1. Spider-Man 2 - 9/10
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 8.5/10
  3. Spider-Man - 8/10
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man - 7.5/10
  5. TIE: Spider-Man 3 - 6/10 &
    Spider-Man: Homecoming - 6/10
Haven’t seen Into the Spider-Verse yet

Can someone explain to me the love for the Tim Burton Batman films? Both of them I personally think are very average. But I also feel like I’m missing something.

Spider-Man Ranking:

1. Spider-Man 2 - 9/10
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 8.5/10
  3. Spider-Man - 8/10
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man - 7.5/10
  5. TIE - Spider-Man 3 & Spider-Man: Homecoming - 6/10
Spider-Man 3 and Homecoming get an “okay” rating from me for different reasons. SM3 has great moments and terrible moments. It has beautiful things to say, but the tonal unbalance, messy plot and disjointed structure really hurts the movie.

Homecoming on the other hand has a very uninspired story with a confused arc given to Peter. Would have given it a 5/10 were it not for Tom Holland’s and Michael Keaton’s performances, the latter of which makes for one of the better villains of the MCU; threatening and scary while at the same time very fun and funny.

I'm not huge on Batman 88, but Returns is just so bizarre and I love it. Maybe not a great Batman movie, but it's a good Tim Burton movie. I guess.

Masirimso17 said:
Can someone explain to me the love for the Tim Burton Batman films? Both of them I personally think are very average. But I also feel like I’m missing something.

They are not everyone's cup of tea.
From a comic book perspective and their respect for the source material, they are flawed.  But any media translation is bound to disappoint or even anger some fans.   My issues with the Nolan films are vast....lol

As for Burton's Batman.... visually, I think they are amazing.  Pure comic book candy.  I love his version of Gotham.  The costumes for Bats, Joker, Penguin and Batwoman, while slightly skewed, are gorgeous and very faithful.  

Burton's Batman movies make no attempts at being grounded in our real world, and I love them for that.

Storywise.... well, I think they capture the core elements very well with a typical Burton bizarre twist.   I thought Burton brought a fresh take on Bruce Wayne's state of mind, something all later films have expounded upon.   Sure he made some choices I completely disliked... again, Batman using guns... Is it how I would have brought Bats to the big screen?  Probably not....but in the end, I find them delightfully dark and original, and maybe because of that, I am more forgiving of some of their weaknesses.

Spidey Ranked

Spiderman 2 (by a country mile)
Spiderman 
Spiderman 3 
The Amazing Spiderman
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Homecoming

Batman Ranked

Batman Returns (for the reasons given above)
Batman
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Batman Forever
Batman V Superman
Batman and Robin

Ranking the continuity disaster of our merry Mutants....

12.  Apocalypse (I still can not believe Singer directed this?  Terrible.)
11.  Wolverine Origins  (there are amazing bits and pieces in this mess --Sabertooth)
10.  Deadpool 2  (the death of X-force still makes me howl)
09.  Deadpool   (funny stuff, doesn't rank higher cause I prefer my mutants serious lol)
08.  Logan   (powerful saga but again the timeline/fate of the X-men disappoints)
07.  Generation X (tv movie released on VHS, so it counts! and it was very faithful to the comic!)
06.  The Last Stand (I think this movie gets an unfair bad rap, I enjoy it)
05.  First Class  (if only Vaugh had stayed in charge....or would it have been Kingsman 2?)
04.  The Wolverine  (a surprising strong, if altered, adaptation)
03.  Days of Future Past (just when you think you were out, they pull you back in!  Franchise rejuvenation!)
02.  X2 United  (an actual blockbuster that builds upon the original)
01.  X-Men  (a comic book movie game changer that operates on so many different levels -- ICONIC.)

Of course, the best adaptation of the X-Men comics is the cartoon series that ran of FOX from 1992 to 1997.
:D

Spidermans ranked, oh dear...
All I'm going to say is that Spiderman 3 is my favorite of the original trilogy, so I think you can guess the other placements using that logic. 

Xmen rankings, I'm not gonna go there, because I love them all, except for Apocalypse cuz I haven't seen it.

I'm not into comic books or superhero movies.

Fortunately the Burton Batman movies are neither, and I love them for it.

@"jrWHAG42" I really, really don’t understand the flack Spider-Man 3 gets, honestly.  In my opinion, it is better directed, acted, scripted than most superhero movies these days, and a heartfelt, definitive closure to the original Spider-Man trilogy.  The Editor’s cut makes it better, by the way.  This is not to say the movie doesn’t have flaws, because it does.  It’s not as good as the first two by any means - but it is Sam Raimi’s movie (Venom excepted) and it believes in what it is trying to say… to the end of the line.

And I agree with Frink, the best superhero movies are the ones that aren’t superhero movies.

Canon Editor said:
@"jrWHAG42" I really, really don’t understand the flack Spider-Man 3 gets, honestly.  In my opinion, it is better directed, acted, scripted than most superhero movies these days, and a heartfelt, definitive closure to the original Spider-Man trilogy.  The Editor’s cut makes it better, by the way.  This is not to say the movie doesn’t have flaws, because it does.  It’s not as good as the first two by any means - but it is Sam Raimi’s movie (Venom excepted) and it believes in what it is trying to say… to the end of the line.

And I agree with Frink, the best superhero movies are the ones that aren’t superhero movies.

My issue with Spider-Man 3 is Mary Jane.

While the Sandman/Venom/Harry storylines are a bit of a mess, I could easily live with them if the whole foundation of the Raimi trilogy, the romance between Peter and MJ, hadn't turned into such a train wreck.

In Spider-Man 1 and 2, MJ was written as a much stronger, smarter character.  The love affair between MJ and Peter was rich and layered.  But in Spider-Man 3, Mary Jane written like a  completely different character... a weaker, less likeable character in order to create a triangle subplot that was not only unneeded in an already overly convoluted story but had already been resolved in the previous movies.  The whole Peter/MJ dynamic was soured for me in S3; both of the characters written so poorly for some unneeded clunky soapy drama that it took the heart out of the movie for me.  In the first two movies you root for them to be together, in the final one .... well, you just shake your head in facepalm disbelief.....  :p

I agree.  MJ should’ve had a different role in the film, and the way she plays into the narrative doesn’t work.  It should have been Gwen that gets captured in the end, like the script intended.

I think the movies should have flipped which characters were involved. Sam Raimi's films should have had Kirsten Dunst (a natural blond) as Gwen Stacy, and Marc Webb's should have had Emma Stone (a natural redhead) as Mary Jane. 

(spoilers for 50 years of well-known Spider-Man stories ahead)

Of course, that also means I think that Gwen should have died in the Raimi movies, although it shouldn't have been in the first film. Doc Ock was a  simpler villain, and he should have been the focus of SM1, and Peter & Gwen could have gotten together by the end. Then in SM2, Spidey fights Green Goblin, and Gwen dies. It would have been a dark but brilliant middle chapter. SM3 would have then been the Clone Saga from the '70s with the Jackal, and with Gwen returning one last time as a clone.

Then SM4 (still in the same continuity, but with new actors) could have done Venom and/or other characters. 

Instead, they introduced the characters the wrong way around, then had to keep engineering needless soap-opera conflict between Peter and MJ in order to give her something to do in each movie.

Can you tell I've spent too much time thinking about this?  :p

TomH1138 said:
I think the movies should have flipped which characters were involved. Sam Raimi's films should have had Kirsten Dunst (a natural blond) as Gwen Stacy, and Marc Webb's should have had Emma Stone (a natural redhead) as Mary Jane.

If that were the case then The Amazing Spider-Man movies would have been drastically different with all the calm scientist girl stuff that wouldn't fit the Mary Jane character at all, the Cpt. Stacy promise stuff, and the entirety of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. They wouldn't have been the same movies without Gwen.

TomH1138 said:
(spoilers for 50 years of well-known Spider-Man stories ahead)

Of course, that also means I think that Gwen should have died in the Raimi movies, although it shouldn't have been in the first film. Doc Ock was a  simpler villain, and he should have been the focus of SM1, and Peter & Gwen could have gotten together by the end. Then in SM2, Spidey fights Green Goblin, and Gwen dies. It would have been a dark but brilliant middle chapter. SM3 would have then been the Clone Saga from the '70s with the Jackal, and with Gwen returning one last time as a clone.

How would that work thematically? The first film is all about responsibility, fathers and sons, which makes Green Goblin the perfect villain: While Spider-Man is about great responsibility that comes with great power, Green Goblin is about all the power but no responsibility at all. They are perfect opposites.

Mary Jane, meanwhile, only works since the whole "party animal, date with jocks, popular girl" is a result of trying to prove herself that her abusive father, who treats her like garbage and makes her feel worthless, is wrong and that she is worth it. But obviously that persona is a façade, her life is miserable, his boyfriend is only there because she's beautiful and treats her like an object, and the only person who loves Mary Jane for who he is, is Peter. That's her whole arc, which I don't think matches Gwen from the comics very much, while it fits Mary Jane from the comics quite well.

1htkyg.jpg

MJStays.jpg

How would Gwen work instead? Well, she could be more similar to the Amazing Spider-Man version of Gwen, though I'm stumpted at how that would function narratively and thematically. The fathers and sons theme, though, could be reworked to include Cpt. Stacy claiming Spider-Man is an irresponsible vigilante... Green Goblin would kidnap Gwen on top of the bridge again as a nod to the comics, but she would survive. Green Goblin would also survive to return later on to finish what he started. Instead Cpt. Stacy would die. Really I'm just taking a page from Amazing Spider-Man here.

And also Spider-Man 2 would be way different and I wouldn't want that. Doc Ock in that movie represents two things: At first what Peter dreams of being, someone who has balanced his busy life with his love life. Later, he represents what Peter could become if he lost Mary Jane (since Doc Ock loses Rosie). Only thing I would change in Spider-Man 2 would emphasize that the death of Rosie is part of what destroyed Doc Ock on the inside. In fact I'm planning an edit to do just that (and also including some 2.1 scenes) using voice clips from the video game. Also going to add some quips to Spidey :)

Spider-Man 3 changes is a whole long post on its own and I'm very busy lol.

TomH1138 said:
SM3 would have then been the Clone Saga from the '70s with the Jackal, and with Gwen returning one last time as a clone.

Please no :D

TVs Frink said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Raiders
Doom
Crusade

There are no more.

I hate these franchise hot takes.  We get it, you don't like one of the movies.

My favorite moderators (in no particular order):

• Reave
  • Q2
  • ThrowgnCpr
  • TM2YC
  • DominicCobb
  • DigModiFicaTion
  • Theryaney
There are no more. :p

@"TomH1138" 
Emma Stone is a natural blonde. She dyed it red on the suggestion of Judd Apatow before her big break in Superbad, and she kept it for a few roles, giving most the impression that that's her natural look. I know this and still think she looks weird with blonde hair. It's hard to shake first impressions.

Moe_Syzlak said:
TVs Frink said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Raiders
Doom
Crusade

There are no more.

I hate these franchise hot takes.  We get it, you don't like one of the movies.

My favorite moderators (in no particular order):

• Reave
  • Q2
  • ThrowgnCpr
  • TM2YC
  • DominicCobb
  • DigModiFicaTion
  • Theryaney
There are no more. :p

I want to be mad but this was too good.

jrWHAG42 said:
Ranking the Batman movies... Now this is where my opinions get controversial.

Not as controversial as mine.

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  2. Batman: Under the Red Hood
  3. Batman
  4. Batman Returns
  5. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
  6. Batman Forever
  7. Batman Begins
  8. Gotham Knight
  9. The Dark Knight
  10. Batman & Robin
No, I'm not a Christopher Nolan fan. Boy, am I not.

The rankings get confusing when you include non theatrical animated films.

Back
Top Bottom