• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Odinson? - A Fanedit of Thor (2011) - Complete

Art update:

@"Zarius" gave me the idea to use a comic book as the base for the artwork. After watching a couple of gimp tutorials I managed to put this together. It's still a work in progress, I'm currently cleaning up all the stray pixels on the edges of the letters. I don't think I'll add Loki's Shadow into the mix as I feel it would look too crowded.

2WnsA2b.jpg

Also @"mnkykungfu", @"Canon Editor" I've corrected the typos in the "special thanks" at the end. Apologies for that. I'm dyslexic so if anyone spots a typo in my work please hit me up.

Ha!  I like the cover idea!  Cheers to you and Zarius A Loki shadow would be great too, even just a partial one at the edge, but I understand if it looks too busy.

Just finished watching the final draft. I think it's strange that the actual movie doesn't play out like this. How the movie is restructured in this edit makes much more sense, since they make it a point that he could be crazy. Definitely my definitive version of this movie. Would recommend as a first time view or even a rewatch.

VortexUnlimited said:
Just finished watching the final draft. I think it's strange that the actual movie doesn't play out like this. How the movie is restructured in this edit makes much more sense, since they make it a point that he could be crazy. Definitely my definitive version of this movie. Would recommend as a first time view or even a rewatch.

Thanks @"VortexUnlimited" 

Speaking of 'definitive versions' I hope to do two HD versions of this edit at some point. One which simply recreates this edit in HD and one that is extended by including the additional deleted scenes that are available on the blu-ray.

This edit has been approved by the Academy! Congratulations, @"Malthus"!

Congratulations. Thread moved to completed.

That's fantastic news thank you so much!

ONwLJdj.jpg

I made an alternative poster for this edit as the comic book idea while fun didn't actually feature the title of the edit. Shout out to @"macmilln" for his poster for my edit the image of which reminded me of this artwork.

FYI I did this edit using a mobile phone app called Polish, it's free but you can unlock additional content and remove adds if you pay. I honestly don't find the adds intrusive at all. It is a surprisingly powerful app with a great range of features from basic filters and text options to overlays, double exposures and more. 10/10 would definitely recommend.

Have to agree with other comments and reviews- the restructuring works extremely well and really adds to the movie. Why did no one at the studio think of taking this approach?? The only issue I found was the insertion of the deleted scenes, which stood out due to a drop in picture quality and (in my opinion) didn’t add any real value to the narrative. The introduction of the pre coronation scene also felt a little abrupt. However these are minor nitpicks. Great first edit and very much looking forward to your future projects.

stferguson78 said:
Have to agree with other comments and reviews- the restructuring works extremely well and really adds to the movie. Why did no one at the studio think of taking this approach?? The only issue I found was the insertion of the deleted scenes, which stood out due to a drop in picture quality and (in my opinion) didn’t add any real value to the narrative. The introduction of the pre coronation scene also felt a little abrupt. However these are minor nitpicks. Great first edit and very much looking forward to your future projects.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be brutally honest while I love the deleted scenes I do ageee they don't actually add all that much which is probably why they are removed in the first place. Since this was my first edit and as I was literally just rearranging the structure of the film I felt the need to add something new to edit. I don't regret the addition of the scenes as I do enjoy them but perhaps in this case less would have been more.

^I'd agree that the deleted scenes don't really add value to the narrative (other than the deleted scene where Loki actually becomes King, not included in this).  With a big tentpole movie, anything that doesn't move the narrative tends to get cut, as a protection on the investment.

What the deleted scenes add is character development.  Understanding the motivations and nuances of the characters.  Are they necessary?  No.  Do they make the film richer?  Yes.  Now that Thor is a proven commodity and not just a multi-million dollar gamble, I absolutely want more scenes that develop the characters.  There are even more on the Blu-Ray that would enrich the film if added in.

All that said, if someone is just a Ragnarok fan and wants the jokes, not character-building, then they'd probably love lots of scenes to be cut from this film.  I'm sure there is potential for an edit that could be made to accomplish that goal, too.

mnkykungfu said:
I absolutely want more scenes that develop the characters.  There are even more on the Blu-Ray that would enrich the film if added in.

Well I just received my car insurance quote and it's a whopping £1000 less than last year so there is a very strong chance I'll be picking up a Blu-ray drive and will revisit this edit extended and in HD in the not to distant future.

Malthus said:
Well I just received my car insurance quote and it's a whopping £1000 less than last year so there is a very strong chance I'll be picking up a Blu-ray drive and will revisit this edit extended and in HD in the not to distant future.

Sweet!  And congrats!

Malthus said:
mnkykungfu said:
I absolutely want more scenes that develop the characters.  There are even more on the Blu-Ray that would enrich the film if added in.

Well I just received my car insurance quote and it's a whopping £1000 less than last year

Are you advertising?

Canon Editor said:
I watched the 2nd draft of Malthus' Thor: Odinson fan edit last night, and was positively impressed. 
Let me say this before, though: I only watched Thor once in my life, wasn't fond of it and never watched it again. I generally do not like MCU movies and did not remember most of the original going on. 
I have to say, I rather enjoyed the movie this time around. The first time, I remember finding myself rather neutral throughout. The restructuring really brings out the strengths of the movie. Thor isn't the only character to benefit, but Loki's dark side is shown later and this adds further depth to his persona. 
One very small narrative hiccup I had while watching was the fact that it was Odin's voice narrating the Frost Giants' backstory. It feels a bit strange since at this point in the movie you have no idea whose that voice is, but once the flashback was over, I put the narration in context as Odin narrating the story to his children and this made it work, to my surprise. Besides, you couldn't do much with this anyways since you have no other footage and the backstory is necessary to understand the rest of the movie. 
I truly think this could establish itself as the definitive Thor edit. 
Overall, I'm still not too fond of the movie, but if I decide to revisit the movie again, I will watch your version as it most definitely adds some mystery and fun to the first act, as well as developing the characters in a much more enticing way. 
Well done!

I too really loved the new narrative, and agree the flip really suits the film. However, the narrative hiccup is slightly more than that - I think the flashback is misplaced, and had a few issues with it:
1) It is part flashback and part flash-parallel, and that complicates your narrative.
2) Its connection to the preceding scene is unclear - why would Thor remember a battle of which he was not part? Or scenes that happened after he was banished?
3) When the Warrior Four get to Earth, it seems as if you rewound the film too much, and it is not clear why.
3) There is a weird editing glitch at the 42:51 mark - both audio and video.

All in all, I suggest rearranging the scenes by splitting the flashback into two parts:
a) After Thor talks about Yggdrasil, and before he covers her with a blanket, you should incorporate the scenes that tell us about Thor's fall from grace. The scene in Norway (965 AD) should be cut and slightly forward (see part b).
b) After that blanket scene, show us what happened on Asgard after Thor was banished. Insert the Norway scene and the childhood flashback when Loki touches the Casket of Ancient Winters, before Odin shouts STOP. This will make the narration by Odin feel more natural, and seem like Loki's race's memory. Then continue with the edit*.
* I would trim the battle against the Destroyer armor - the Warriors Three and Sif should know it is indestructible, fight accordingly, and not seem to think they won. The trims should focus on them stalling while the town evacuates.

Back
Top Bottom