• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Odinson? - A Fanedit of Thor (2011) - Complete

Malthus said:
I finished the first workprint of Thor: Odinson. Feedback would be most welcome.

Looks great!  I'm game.

Work print update:

I redrafted the initial work print and removed one of the deleted scenes (Lady Sif and the Warriors Three) as the incomplete CGI backdrop looked far more obvious on a large TV. I have edited the cut list to reflect this change and have sent out updated links to all who requested them.

If you you intend to give feedback and have received two links please do so based on the 2nd draft video only.

Thank you to those of you who have gotten back to me with feedback on the work print.

So far the only known technical issue is a loss of audio at 15:26/27 when changing scenes. This is entirely my fault and the result of an over eager/hamfisted attempt at an audio edit.

Thanks @"Mnkykungfu" for your very detailed suggestions. I tried to find a two disc DVD edition of Thor but have not had any luck. I think I will just wait until I can edit in HD and do an extended version of Odinson? that incorporates the additional scenes you mentioned. As to your other ideas re: darkness on Jotunheim and the pre credit pause I'll have ticker with the settings and post some samples ASAP.

I'm going to start work on the bonus featurette/short this weekend. I'm not sure whether it would be best to have it as a stand alone thing or to include it in the film as an extended/alternate end of credits scene.

I was happy to preview Malthus' 2nd workprint and give feedback.  At his request, I've saved the timecoded suggestions for his eyes only, but here was the general feedback I gave.  Anyone else who has seen this, feel free to chip in and agree or disagree....
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

<slow clap> Congrats, man (not to assume your gender but) you have made the best Thor movie, period.  Well done.  The narrative shift works so well that I can't help but think there must've been some earlier draft of the script where this was intended as the real start.  It lends a different nuance and context to all the scenes that come after, so that half the movie plays a bit differently, and better for it!  Great work.

Honestly, this is already one of my favorite edits ever.  I really liked the first Thor film as-is, but this just improves it in so many ways.  From adding back in deleted scenes now that it's a proven commodity to restructuring the narrative to ease us into god-world, it's just phenomenal.  I will say that I tried to view it as if I had never even seen a trailer for it... even still, I had little doubt that "Thor"/Donald was supernaturally heroic from the start.  I just don't think it's possible to frame this as if there's much mystery about him, even though the beginning is so much better anyway.  Consequently, I started thinking about titles again....
The closest thing to a kind of mystery would be a tribute to Thor's original comic, so you could title it something like "Thor: Journey Into Mystery".  Alternatively, if you want to focus on the parentage, Loki's stands out as much as Thor's, so going back to your alternative title, it could be "Thor and Loki: Sons of Odin" (a tribute to a line from Loki to Lauffey).  Or you can get more creative...some ideas:
Thor, The Unworthy
The Unworthy Thor
The Mighty Thor (the title in Japan)
The Mighty Thor - Unworthy Edition
The Mighty Thor - Worthy Edition
Thor - Odinson Edition
and so on...

I watched the 2nd draft of Malthus' Thor: Odinson fan edit last night, and was positively impressed. 
Let me say this before, though: I only watched Thor once in my life, wasn't fond of it and never watched it again. I generally do not like MCU movies and did not remember most of the original going on. 
I have to say, I rather enjoyed the movie this time around. The first time, I remember finding myself rather neutral throughout. The restructuring really brings out the strengths of the movie. Thor isn't the only character to benefit, but Loki's dark side is shown later and this adds further depth to his persona. 
One very small narrative hiccup I had while watching was the fact that it was Odin's voice narrating the Frost Giants' backstory. It feels a bit strange since at this point in the movie you have no idea whose that voice is, but once the flashback was over, I put the narration in context as Odin narrating the story to his children and this made it work, to my surprise. Besides, you couldn't do much with this anyways since you have no other footage and the backstory is necessary to understand the rest of the movie. 
I truly think this could establish itself as the definitive Thor edit. 
Overall, I'm still not too fond of the movie, but if I decide to revisit the movie again, I will watch your version as it most definitely adds some mystery and fun to the first act, as well as developing the characters in a much more enticing way. 
Well done!

Mock up of a new poster concept

U0ZrU2x.png

It's a good concept. I'd keep the shadow, maybe make it a bit bigger and do without the comic stamp. Also, why not shorten the poster and have the title be over Thor's legs? I think the cover is not standard size. Have you tried using a template?

Canon Editor said:
Have you tried using a template?

Not yet, this was just a proof of concept that I did on my phone. I'll do it properly on Gimp once I've finalised the edit itself.

Canon Editor said:
It's a good concept. I'd keep the shadow, maybe make it a bit bigger and do without the comic stamp.

The comic bit was my suggestion, and I think he should keep it. just maybe alter the information on it so it informs us which movie in the MCU it is, the date it came out etc

Zarius said:
The comic bit was my suggestion, and I think he should keep it. just maybe alter the information on it so it informs us which movie in the MCU it is, the date it came out etc
6AmN7dH.gif

That's a really nice idea.

Zarius said:
Canon Editor said:
It's a good concept. I'd keep the shadow, maybe make it a bit bigger and do without the comic stamp.

Yeah, that could work. The problem I have with it isn't so much in the concept but because it doesn't seem burned in enough... what about vignette-izing the rest? 

Nonetheless, I didn't mean to be disrespectful Zarius. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Good idea @"canon editor" I think once I stick this through gimp I can start making it look less like a collage. It definitely looks like disjointed right now. This is my first photo editing project as well as first feature film fan edit so all ideas are welcome at this stage.

Canon Editor said:
Zarius said:
Canon Editor said:

Yeah, that could work. The problem I have with it isn't so much in the concept but because it doesn't seem burned in enough... what about vignette-izing the rest? 

Nonetheless, I didn't mean to be disrespectful Zarius. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Not at all mate, if I came across as offended that wasn't my intention. :p

Re: Short

I have decided not to incorporate the 'what if Thor really is crazy' scenario into the film for several reasons:

- The film's final draft is practically done and I would like to submit it to the academy once I finalise the artwork.
- I feel the short could have more scope if I incorporated
fat Thor
from Endgame. Since I do not currently own Endgame that's out of the question and I would rather wait and do this right than make do with the footage I have.
- It would run at least 15 minutes and that is far too long for a bonus scene especially as the footage will have already be viewed. It would serve better as a bonus feature.

Malthus said:
Re: Short

I have decided not to incorporate the 'what if Thor really is crazy' scenario into the film for several reasons:

- The film's final draft is practically done and I would like to submit it to the academy once I finalise the artwork.
- I feel the short could have more scope if I incorporated
fat Thor
from Endgame. Since I do not currently own Endgame that's out of the question and I would rather wait and do this right than make do with the footage I have.
- It would run at least 15 minutes and that is far too long for a bonus scene especially as the footage will have already be viewed. It would serve better as a bonus feature.

Oh, interesting!  Like, Thor is just some dude hanging out, playing video games and fantasizing?  In that case maybe you could use parts of the Team Thor shorts too...

mnkykungfu said:
Oh, interesting!  Like, Thor is just some dude hanging out, playing video games and fantasizing?  In that case maybe you could use parts of the Team Thor shorts too...

My thoughts exactly. Although I'm not sure whether I can use all of those. The original short was released for free then bundled with civil war so that is fine. The two sequels were released online only with no physical release available.

The final draft of "Thor: Odinson?" is encoding

Changes:
  • Redid a transition to eliminate an audio issue I had created* 
  • Added thunderclap sound effect to smooth transfer to the flashback arc
  • Truncated reprisal of the breakfast scene
  • Added "Malthus Fanedit" titles at the start (above)
  • Added Special thanks at the end (below)

*(turns out editing with just laptop speakers is not a good idea!)

^Cool!  Thanks for the shout-out.  It'll be my first one, so I don't want to quibble too much about the missing "G" in 'kung fu'.

mnkykungfu said:
^Cool!  Thanks for the shout-out.  It'll be my first one, so I don't want to quibble too much about the missing "G" in 'kung fu'.

Thanks for the heads up, sorry about that, it'll not take a second to redo.

Back
Top Bottom