• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Odinson? - A Fanedit of Thor (2011) - Complete

boazz750 said:
I too really loved the new narrative, and agree the flip really suits the film. However, the narrative hiccup is slightly more than that - I think the flashback is misplaced, and had a few issues with it:
1) It is part flashback and part flash-parallel, and that complicates your narrative.
2) Its connection to the preceding scene is unclear - why would Thor remember a battle of which he was not part? Or scenes that happened after he was banished?
3) When the Warrior Four get to Earth, it seems as if you rewound the film too much, and it is not clear why.
3) There is a weird editing glitch at the 42:51 mark - both audio and video.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it, I'm glad you enjoyed my take on Thor. To address your points.

1. I consider the first act Thor's story and the second act Loki's. With this edit I wanted to keep the Earth bound and Asgardian content delineated as I didn't enjoy the constant cutting back and forth in the original theatrical cut.
2. The connection is that Lady Sif is discussing Thor's father Odin and the next sequence is Odin talking.
3. Only part of the breakfast scene was shown initially. The reprise shows the warriors arrival in full including the Shield agents. My aim was to present the film in full but resequenced, I didn't wish to cut the scene but I felt it was overly long to serve as a 'surpise moment' thus I truncated the scene initially and let it play in full later.
4. Good spot. I'll address that.

Regarding your suggestions; they are interesting but I am happy with the structure as it is. I mentioned earlier that one of my aims was to present the film in full so I do not want to edit the Destroyer confrontation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Malthus said:
boazz750 said:
I too really loved the new narrative, and agree the flip really suits the film. However, the narrative hiccup is slightly more than that - I think the flashback is misplaced, and had a few issues with it:
1) It is part flashback and part flash-parallel, and that complicates your narrative.
2) Its connection to the preceding scene is unclear - why would Thor remember a battle of which he was not part? Or scenes that happened after he was banished?
3) When the Warrior Four get to Earth, it seems as if you rewound the film too much, and it is not clear why.
3) There is a weird editing glitch at the 42:51 mark - both audio and video.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it, I'm glad you enjoyed my take on Thor. To address your points.

1. I consider the first act Thor's story and the second act Loki's. With this edit I wanted to keep the Earth bound and Asgardian content delineated as I didn't enjoy the constant cutting back and forth in the original theatrical cut.
2. The connection is that Lady Sif is discussing Thor's father Odin and the next sequence is Odin talking.
3. Only part of the breakfast scene was shown initially. The reprise shows the warriors arrival in full including the Shield agents. My aim was to present the film in full but resequenced, I didn't wish to cut the scene but I felt it was overly long to serve as a 'surpise moment' thus I truncated the scene initially and let it play in full later.
4. Good spot. I'll address that.

Regarding your suggestions; they are interesting but I am happy with the structure as it is. I mentioned earlier that one of my aims was to present the film in full so I do not want to edit the Destroyer confrontation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response.
As I said, I really appreciate your vision regarding this edit and think it works really well. The changes I suggested were quite minimal in my opinion and did not really deviate from your edit - the "blanket scene" directly precedes the "breakfast scene", so it will not be a "constant cutting back and forth" situation like the theatrical cut but rather separating between the flash-back and the flash-sideways.
I am glad you're happy with the structure as it is. It is good, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Cheers,
Bo

boazz750 said:
As I said, I really appreciate your vision regarding this edit and think it works really well. The changes I suggested were quite minimal in my opinion and did not really deviate from your edit - the "blanket scene" directly precedes the "breakfast scene", so it will not be a "constant cutting back and forth" situation like the theatrical cut but rather separating between the flash-back and the flash-sideways.
I am glad you're happy with the structure as it is. It is good, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Cheers,
Bo

Thanks Bo, and thank you for the review too.

The audio glitch will be rectified this afternoon once my Driver edit has finished encoding. I will forward the updated link to you (and anyone else to whom I've sent links) once its uploaded. Your feedback is great and gladly received. I agree it isn't a significant deviation but I have a few reasons as to why I will not be changing the flashback.
  1. This was my first edit. Call it pride or stubbornness but I wish to preserve it as is so I may look back and cringe in years to come. 
  2. I feel the shots of Thor being struck by Jane's truck are sufficient to separate the flash back and the flash sideways.
  3. I will be revisiting Thor (2011) in the not too distant future with an extended HD edit. As I will be using a new source the entire edit will have to be redone and while it will largely mirror Thor: Odinson? there are multiple deleted scenes, several from the third act, that might be added. As such your suggestions may well manifest in that cut. THOR: ODINSON!
I respect the fact you not only watched the film but took the time to both feedback with constructive criticism and left a review. Your input is most welcomed on my other active projects.

Version 2 of this is encoding now. Updated links will be sent to all who requested them.

Apologies about the audio glitch, thankfully it was a very quick fix. It turned out that I had removed a cross-fade at 42:50 whilst dealing with an audio issue raised during the academy approval process. In my haste I must have neglected to replace it before encoding the final draft.

The lesson here being:

Don't rush

Thank you @"boazz750" for bringing this to my attention.

Malthus said:
boazz750 said:
Cheers,
Bo

Thanks Bo, and thank you for the review too.

The audio glitch will be rectified this afternoon once my Driver edit has finished encoding. I will forward the updated link to you (and anyone else to whom I've sent links) once its uploaded. Your feedback is great and gladly received. I agree it isn't a significant deviation but I have a few reasons as to why I will not be changing the flashback.
  1. This was my first edit. Call it pride or stubbornness but I wish to preserve it as is so I may look back and cringe in years to come. 
  2. I feel the shots of Thor being struck by Jane's truck are sufficient to separate the flash back and the flash sideways.
  3. I will be revisiting Thor (2011) in the not too distant future with an extended HD edit. As I will be using a new source the entire edit will have to be redone and while it will largely mirror Thor: Odinson? there are multiple deleted scenes, several from the third act, that might be added. As such your suggestions may well manifest in that cut. THOR: ODINSON!
I respect the fact you not only watched the film but took the time to both feedback with constructive criticism and left a review. Your input is most welcomed on my other active projects.

It is my absolute pleasure. I love this community and I am happy to contribute - especially when the end result often surpasses the theatrical (and even the director's) cuts.
I will check out your other projects, and patiently (and eagerly) await your extended HD edit.
Thank you again!

Little update:

The HD edit will be coming soon. Work will hopefully start next week after I submit my Driver edit to the academy.

Changes from the original:

5 additional deleted scenes reinstated adding 10+ minutes to the already extended runtime
Various minor tweaks
Presented in glorious HD

Possible titles:

Thor: Odinson!
Thor: Odinson? Godsized edition 
Thor: Odin's Sons

^I like the last two titles.  But since I just rewatched Anchorman, I also suggest:

Thor: By Odin's Beard! Edition
Thor: Frosty Testicles of Ymir! Edition
Thor: Goat-less Edition HD
Thor: The First One
and
Thor... In Which Our Hero Bleaches His Eyebrows, Pulls Off His Hammer, and Wears Another Man's Clothes Storybook Edition

Hopefully you are not starting your HD upgrade from scratch? In Vegas as long as you have the original project files you can swap out your SD footage using this simple process :Control A > View> Window > Edit details. I am not sure if Lightworks has this option but if my memory serves me well you said you were thinking of using Vegas Pro.

Last Impressions said:
Hopefully you are not starting your HD upgrade from scratch? In Vegas as long as you have the original project files you can swap out your SD footage using this simple process :Control A > View> Window > Edit details. I am not sure if Lightworks has this option but if my memory serves me well you said you were thinking of using Vegas Pro.

I am actually but it was my choice as I'm hoping to take into consideration things various people said about the edit plus my timeline was a shabbles! With Lightworks it is certainly possible to replace the footage with a new video files. I will do that if I ever update my Driver edit as it would have no changes. This edit will be substantially different.

I quite look forward to watching this updated version!

So I did a first pass on the HD edit today and it clocks in at 2:04:30 a whopping 11 minutes longer than Thor: Odinson? and 15 minutes more than the original.

New scenes added:

Extended Hospital scene
Pre Coronation scene with Lady Sif and the Warriors Three
Pre Coronation scene with Frigga
Misson planning scene
Loki Coronation scene
Extended Lady Sif and the Warriors Three arrival
Healing Selvig

This was built from the ground up so all the transitions have been redone and I have rescored one deleted scene.

If anyone is interested in test screening this I will be encoding a 720p draft tomorrow.

^I'm of a mixed opinion on this, so just asking, not hinting...
I've seen fans comment on the deleted scenes and mostly say they liked them.  The three big ones that I usually hear negative things about are:
1- The Warriors Three introduction on Asgard.  The criticism is that it's too hamfistedly obvious, a bit cheesy, and that we get the Warriors defined more quickly and efficiently in Thor's rallying speech to them to get them to invade Jotunheim with him.
2- The Warriors Three extended arrival on Earth.  Specifically the parts in the town.  The criticism is that it's cheesy, shows too clearly that they're walking through a (cheap) set, and lessens the impact of the joke when they are suddenly at the window.
3- Thor heals Selvig.  The criticism is that it kind of comes out of nowhere (Thor having healing tech), seems an improbable length of time for the Destroyer to not be attacking Thor, and slows down what should be rushing towards Thor's big moment.

As I said, I have mixed feelings on these scenes, but given that your main purpose is to have a stronger narrative, not a pure EE, I wondered if you had considered these points already or were just waiting to see how the scenes played and get feedback?
(And by the way, Yay!  Glad you got to this so quickly!)

mnkykungfu said:
^I'm of a mixed opinion on this, so just asking, not hinting...

To address your points:

1. In the edit I only use the first portion of the scene where it is primarily used as a bridging sequence between the Thor/Loki conversation and the Thor/Frigga conversation. That said I like the continuation of the introductions, we saw Thor and Loki and now we see their companions. The second half has incomplete CGI and so I didn't want to use it and while it is a little cheesy personally I like the sequence
2. Again I only use a section of this and it is used in the second act where we are already connected to the characters and we have already had the 'surpise'. This also includes a great line about 1000 years having passed since they had last been on earth
3. I have to disagree. This is the first truly selfless thing Thor does and is genuinely heroic. He has no powers but runs into danger to save his friend. The healing tech is not an issue for me, it magic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are several scenes I left out and of the ones I used I truncated four of them. The aim isn't to simply extend the film but to add scenes which add to the narrative. I never cared for Lady Sif and the Warriors three, they were just sort of there in the original. So I wanted to extend their input. I also found the bond Thor forges with Jane et al to be flimsy at best given the fact he's in town all of a handful of days. I feel his sacrifice is an important point for both Thor's character arc and his bond with Jane and Selvig.

I finally remembered to leave an Academy review for this, and what a great time to do so--I've never seen any of this film's deleted scenes, so I look forward to seeing the version with the updates.

samgroov90 said:
I finally remembered to leave an Academy review for this, and what a great time to do so--I've never seen any of this film's deleted scenes, so I look forward to seeing the version with the updates.

Thank you for the review Sam! I'm really glad you enjoyed the original edit. I actually plan on doing two HD edits, one with all the content mentioned above and a second which is simply a HD version of the original edit maybe with one extra scene added.

Malthus said:
There are several scenes I left out and of the ones I used I truncated four of them.

Cool deal!  Interested to see how you pull it off! :)

Shout out to @"Scar" for watching the workprint and giving me some really helpful feedback back on the project. Based on that I've made some changes and uploading some samples tomorrow.

This is my reworked pre-coronation scene in which I have reinstated 3 deleted scenes. The first scene appeared in my original Thor edit but now features a reordered introduction. The second two are exclusive to this HD extended edition. I needed to rescore the third deleted scene using the Thor soundtrack. The sample is only in 720p but the final product will be 1080p

Awesome job, man!  I love the little trims you made, particularly working around the unfinished effects.  One point: I was very aware of the silence shortly after the 1 minute mark.  I know it's intentional, but it seemed a little long to me, making Loki's line hit a bit cheesy.  Have you thought of adding a bit of score in part of it, or starting the extant score a bit earlier?  (Not a big deal, we're talking about maybe 5-10 seconds difference.)

mnkykungfu said:
Awesome job, man!

Thanks, I have to be honest I quite like the awkwardness of the pauses. Both are nervous, both are trying to behave, I like it. I'll be doing a few more samples but it's about 90% there I think. This certainly had the most awkward transitions to work around.

Back
Top Bottom