• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE THINGS - 1982/2011 plus FULL Text and PIP Comentary

technical comments plus SPOILERS!!!! so. i found a technical mess up in your edit. plus some continuity errors. theres an errant frame about 30 minutes in or so. right before clark is told to put the dog in the cage because its roaming thru the camp. when kurt russel is doing the TEST on the group, garry says this doesnt prove anything.... and mcready says you were the only one who could have gotten to the blood, well do you last... but you cut the blood scene out making that comment not really relavent. it didnt make scense. alllllsooo this is just a personal gripe. i didnt understand why you had the alien chasing sam at the end of your T11. if hes an alien too then why would it worry about him, instead of going for kate lloyd? i was really confused by that. he has to be an alien because you have him being chased, they kill the creature, and then cut right to them in the snow mobile. that ending needs more. also maybe you mentioned this in your commentary but why did you put a to be continued at the end? are you doing something else? i really loved what you did with this edit for the first half. some great stuff there.

Just giving a heads up on an authoring issue for the disc 2 commentary dual layered version-- According to imgburn the disc has NO suitable place to input a layer break. This means that if you do proceed to burn it technically it is not standard and not all machines will be able to work with such a disc

The fix for this would be to insert a few more cells or chapters in certain spots of the disc and luckily imgburn (see pic below) was nice enough to tell you where they should go. I can do this using dvdremakepro (though vobBlanker and pgcedit should also be able to help with this)

to fix your disc you need to split up a bit more chapters 11, 12 and 13 (splitting up a chapter usually will add cells in the chapter and
not an actual new chapter itself). This fixed the disc giving imgburn 2 spots to put the layer break. However since your disc is 99% capacity of the dvd+r Dl disc itself, I like to shrink it down just a little so it is not so close to the edge (roughly 3-5% shrink which means you will not notice anything). In my case your disc is now 97% and a bit further in from the edge. However because of this minor shrink it now was able to add in 5 new spots for a layer break.

Basically when you do a dual layer you never want it to go near the max size of the disc just for the issues I listed above. Ideally you want to keep your burn around the 90-95% full mark

1ee06c5f4f72772c1bfb.jpg

Great stuff. Very enjoyable. Seeing the two together really does age the old sfx.
Liked your idea's and what you did. Yes there are a couple of scenes that seem slightly out of place and I also got a couple of frame flashes but overall really liked it.
Thanks for sharing your edit Wraith.

Thx for all the feedback.

The re-render of Disc 2 will be at 95% and I will correct the continuity issues raised for disc 1. That was proofed view by 4 people and no one caught it. The proofing stage led to many changes but I guess all my reviewers were too close to the 1982 version to realise.

Thanks all

Were your previewers people from here or from somewhere else?

I can't get two files off the first disc. They are:

2.02d DL FILM.part12 rar
2.02d DL FILM.part13 rar

Mediafire is telling JDownloader that they can't be found.

Toonloon said:
I can't get two files off the first disc. They are:

2.02d DL FILM.part12 rar
2.02d DL FILM.part13 rar

Mediafire is telling JDownloader that they can't be found.

Hey Toon this might by why-- from Wraith--:

Wraith said:
Thx for all the feedback.

The re-render of Disc 2 will be at 95% and I will correct the continuity issues raised for disc 1. That was proofed view by 4 people and no one caught it. The proofing stage led to many changes but I guess all my reviewers were too close to the 1982 version to realise.

Thanks all

Thank you Wraith, though I hate burning coasters (already burned d1 DL ver) will be upgrading your DL ver disc 1 once you have it done--

Ah. Thanks tranzor. So we can expect a 'fixed' version going online soon from Wraith? I had a look at disc 2 and that worked fine. Apart from the sound error at 7mins which has already been mentioned.

Sound error gone. I can't find Why....I took that 30 sec segment which was a PIP insert and pasted into a new session clea edit on its own and sure enough it has that sound POO in it syill. The continuity error is gone from disc 1. My reviewers were LAYPEOPLE.
The render DL LAYER issue is odd, since I have never defined layers splits nor had issues buring anything like that, but yes...coasters not nice....Gets especially annoying in BD format...SOLUTION, I test burn to an DVD RW or BD RE....if it burns good...I commit ...however there are other reasons why we all have burn fails...buffer...BLUE SCREEN .etc.

ALSO think I can resolve THE JESTERS issue with the ending by cutting away from Sam in the kitchen BEFORE the attack, cut to isolated Kate walking about looking for Sama dn Thing, she walks into kitchen, Thin screams and attacke, cut out Sams reaction shot and drop in new shot of Kate instead and she torches the creature...Now there is a time gap where Sam COULD have been assimilated away from the audience eyes and Sam being chased earlier thus makes sense....

Will preview that section to the interested.

WRAITH

Wraith, it seems that every one of your releases has several errors in them. Might I suggest that for future edits, you do a more thorough review before uploading and releasing? You have a lot of people interested in your edits, so its obvious there is some talent, but it is incredibly tedious for both the staff, and anyone downloading your edit to have to deal with multiple versions.

We have a couple sections of the site that might be of good use to you:

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?214-Workprints-and-Previews
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?272-Early-Viewer-Feedback

Good idea, Throw. It's somewhat easy to miss errors after you've labored so long an edit. It's a good idea to get a fresh set of eyes and ears before releasing.

Guys...I appreciate the frustration...but I was determined this time to have a zero threshold issues on Disc 1. And we have a continuity glitch at the end and 1 frame out. I locked the edit nearly 3 months ago and a number of people reviewed...but I take the point nevertheless and will take things further next time in that diligence. I have invested in better software and hardware so the multipl audio and fram issues of my earlier edits are all gone.

Disc 2 I hold my hand up to, but I am dislexic...which does not help. :(

Again apologies and thankyou for the support, comments and above all patience for my tinkerings.

I will get these re-issued asap.

Thx again...

A faultless to come...

WRAITH...

PS

I did not know that facility existed Mr TV....Bog thx....DOH!

WRAITH

I meant Thx Throw for the links.
Back to that fix for the Sam situation...I need a long pause when Sam is in the kitchen but before Kate torches the thing..So I I'll also relocate the throat cutting deleted scene to there as well

Laypeople, huh? I suggest on your next edit you request previewers from here. Might save everyone a lot of aggravation.

Wraith said:
Sound error gone. I can't find Why....I took that 30 sec segment which was a PIP insert and pasted into a new session clea edit on its own and sure enough it has that sound POO in it syill. The continuity error is gone from disc 1. My reviewers were LAYPEOPLE.
The render DL LAYER issue is odd, since I have never defined layers splits nor had issues buring anything like that, but yes...coasters not nice....Gets especially annoying in BD format...SOLUTION, I test burn to an DVD RW or BD RE....if it burns good...I commit ...however there are other reasons why we all have burn fails...buffer...BLUE SCREEN .etc.
WRAITH

Hey Wraith you misunderstood-- the disc burned fine, I just meant coaster since that is what my burned disc will become after you update and re-upload disc 1 and I then will dl and reburn your new disc 1. Will have no use for the previous version after that

Actually your comment has me very curious. Most authoring apps will NOT put in a layer break for you, the burning apps do this. What program are you using to burn you dvds (I fear you are going to say Nero)?

PS as Throw/Reave mentioned never be afraid to ask people on this site if they want to view your edit first. I have done this a number of times with various people whose opinions are not always in sync with each other. I would do that to get a full balanced view on what I may need to fix, add, etc

THx...Its nice to know people are willing...(i feel its an imposition to ask...but will certainly do so next time).
I use a number of progs, and none are NERO CRAPO....Aposl for coaster fabrication.
W

Trust me, asking for previewers is a much smaller imposition than asking people to keep downloading new versions.

Back
Top Bottom