• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE THINGS - 1982/2011 plus FULL Text and PIP Comentary

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FILM DISC 1
COMMENTARY (FILM with overays, subtitles, picture in picture, full explanation of changes and trivia and a few suprises) DISC 2

Knock youselve out guys!!!!

W

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
sweet, I'm looking forward to watching it. thanks for the info :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a clarification for anybody wondering.

Both the SL DVD and DL DVD have 2 discs. Each disc has its own DLC. I put the DLCs for the 2 discs into one .rar file for each version, so that you only have to download one file but you can choose if you want to download both discs.

SL DVD - 2 DLCs, 1 .rar file
DL DVD - 2 DLCs, 1 .rar file

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey peeps.
Keep getting "error plugins out of date" on all the files.
Ah just read on the technical help blog that jdownloader is doing it a lot lately so scratch that, will find another way.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not the files. I'm trying to get thewar of the stars sequen and also keep getting that plugin crap. I updated and no good... real odd...Any clues anyone???? I need to watch something other than my crap[!!!!!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*facepalm*

Read my previous post, please.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well start reading then.

Or just go to the end of the thread.

:focus:

rick2525

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Technical Glitch - Audio on Disc 2, 07:07-07:52.

btw, I would like to offer my services to you as a Spelling and Grammar Nazi for your subtitles (ie I am very vigilant aka anal about properly spelt and phrased English). I am keen to help you re-type all of the typos, since this is literally the least I can do to help contribute to this wonderful forum.

Right now I am rubbing my hands together with glee (like a giddy school-girl) whilst I watch how you put everything together here for this unique fan-edit.

One personal critique if I may (and I've only watched Disc 2 so far) ... for the beginning scenes with the Norwegian dialogue, I'd rather have no subtitles here, because when we are told "The Dog Is Some Sort Of Thing" just completely ruins the rest of the movie in terms of building up any sort of mystery and suspense.

Again, many thanks for all your hard work here.

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All seems to be ok now. Downloading right now. Looking forward to this Wraith.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GUESS WAHT....

In the final version of disc 1....NO SUBTITLES. How do you like that.

oop...."what"....its not an excuse, but I have a new wireless keyboard and I hate it. so sorry. How could we work to correct the subtitles? I guess I should do a proper proof...apols
am checking the audio at 7.07 thx

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WHOA....that is a NASTY NASTY noise at 7:07.
Its coming from the picture in picture overlay clip. The audio was split out and deleted from the overlay. so there should be no sound from it. The glitch though only clears if that overlay is removed...very strange.

I will re-render and while im at it re-scrub subtitles if anyone wants to throw in some suggestions.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Audio fixed..

v strange. I have a backup file that is identical with the same overlay and it has no issue. but the is no audio in that clip. I pasted it into a clean session....nada. Then copied it pasted back...and CRAP...NOISE. So back to the the source material. dropped in the correct bit...muted, and removed audio...VOILA!!!!!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey ALL....If you have any trivia which you would like included to the DISC 2 Commentary, please respond and I will include it in the revision

rick2525

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith said:
GUESS WAHT....

In the final version of disc 1....NO SUBTITLES. How do you like that.

Yep, I was afraid that was the case, but I just didn't want to change discs at the time to find that out :). I had thought you meant you left them in on the main feature, but more so that you only included them on the trivia track for demonstration purposes.

Wraith said:
oop...."what"....its not an excuse, but I have a new wireless keyboard and I hate it. so sorry. How could we work to correct the subtitles? I guess I should do a proper proof...apols
am checking the audio at 7.07 thx

again, I'd love to do the subtitle proofs for you, but I guess they are only in the Corel (not Core :) ) VideoStudio format rather than any plain txt/srt/sub file.

And having never seen the 1951 original, I'm glad you included this AND used the colourised version.

I've not been this impressed with a fanedit since The War Of The Stars II ... oh, that was yesterday :). Seriously, I love everything you have done here and the sensitivity towards your editing choices ... you have brought out the prequel backstory that the producers did at least put some thought into, but was ultimately overshadowed in the final product.

and regarding those deleted scenes... maybe because they would only service the fanboys, but maybe also they were way too depressing for general audiences to take in, like the original movie was as a whole at its time.

btw, you could always check out IMDb for extra ideas for your trivia track. one such factoid is the helicopter with Kurt Russel was being controlled by the stunt-pilot, then Kurt Russel took control himself which is when we see the chopper "wobble" a bit ... and of course in Executive Decision 1996, Kurt Russel also piloted the prop-plane in that movie ... (I could go on forever :) ).

if I had an iota of skills towards video-editing, I might finally get around to making that music video of the parody song Star Wars Cantina that I've had in my head of how it would play out for yonks. how did you first get into the hobby in terms of learning how to edit videos? do you have any tips for the beginner (ie software, hardware, can a modern laptop cope with basic editing etc?). Many thanks.

and at 02:23:09 on Disc 02, there's an audio hiccup in the final cut-scene to the dying flaming embers of the camp. fussy, I know.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thx for all those coments.

As you can imagine (and very fortunately) both those glitches were due to post loc and reviewed changes which I cant quite fathom but are now corrected.

The texts in the commentary are in Corel Video Studio 4 and are embedded in the edit.

The do not cut and paste.

Do you want to give me the time code for the Kurt Russel chopper wobble?? I'll slip that into the commentary v2 (plus any other obscrue pieces)...I want to avoid the stuff fanboys know.

I am trying to proof read yet again, since I have no one to do it for me and my son is at University, but I am genuinely dislexic which is a bit of an issue. You could just respond with corrected sections plus time code.

I can paste into the subtitle trac and copy out if I lift the text one at a time, but with 200, it could take forever...

on how I got into this....oops...being summoned by missus...

Will revert

WRAITH

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rick2525 said:
Technical Glitch - Audio on Disc 2, 07:07-07:52.

btw, I would like to offer my services to you as a Spelling and Grammar Nazi for your subtitles (ie I am very vigilant aka anal about properly spelt and phrased English). I am keen to help you re-type all of the typos, since this is literally the least I can do to help contribute to this wonderful forum.

Right now I am rubbing my hands together with glee (like a giddy school-girl) whilst I watch how you put everything together here for this unique fan-edit.

One personal critique if I may (and I've only watched Disc 2 so far) ... for the beginning scenes with the Norwegian dialogue, I'd rather have no subtitles here, because when we are told "The Dog Is Some Sort Of Thing" just completely ruins the rest of the movie in terms of building up any sort of mystery and suspense.

Again, many thanks for all your hard work here.

RICK 2525

Now that I am having someone help here (please join in) with DISC 2 improvements, QUESTION FOR THE TRIVA MOB....What language did they dub the Norwegian dialogue into for the films realease (1982 The Thing) in Norway?

Does any one know....is there a Norwegian in the house?????

Top Bottom