• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Phantom Strikes!

Vultural said:
Are you . . . mmm . . . going for the Strikes! hat trick?
You consider Rocketeer?

I keep toying with different ideas for a third, final STRIKES! fan edit....
The Rocketeer keeps being suggested to me and seems like the obvious choice, it has been a long time since I rewatched it, though in my memory it seems like an already "pefect" movie.... I dunno, maybe if I have time I will watch it again this weekend.

Other STRIKES! contenders for me have been, as I mentioned, 1980s Flash Gordon, Dick Tracy, Wonder Woman (season one), John Carter or one of the many Tarzan films that I love so much.... :noidea:

hell yes i would love to see something like that.
i have the shadow strikes to watch next im looking forward to that one.
there will be a review on that edit when i get some time to watch it.

dick Tracy would be a good strikes, as it is made to look 50s style and there is lots of cheese in that movie.

I'd say either Dick Tracy, Wonder Woman, or John Carter would be great choices. As you said, there's nothing wrong with Rocketeer that would need major changes. Flash Gordon would be a ton of work to get right, but maybe you're looking for a challenge.

bionicbob said:
I keep toying with different ideas for a third, final STRIKES! fan edit....
The Rocketeer keeps being suggested to me and seems like the obvious choice, it has been a long time since I rewatched it, though in my memory it seems like an already "pefect" movie....
I concur. "The Rocketeer" is perfect as is. It doesn't really need an edit.

reave said:
John Carter.

The problem with John Carter, is it's a CGI film. All the films up to about 1990-ish used almost the same slight-of-hand trickery developed in the early cinema of the 1900s, so making a pre-1990 film look like a 1950s film, or a 1970s film look like a 1930s film isn't too difficult. Any FX movie in the last two decades uses a totally different style of film-making, so to properly sell John Carter as an oldskool adventure it would need all the FX replaced, not just the ships but the characters too. But the look aside, it does have the feel of an adventure film story wise.

I might have already suggested it, but the original 'Captain America' is a great canditate for the 'Strikes!' treatment IMHO. It could do with a basic fanfix for starters, the glamour of B&W would help make the budget look less 'limited', it would be a treat for the legion of Marvel fans in this community and it very much has that 1950s serial straight-down-the-line good-versus-evil adventure feel.

12362241945_c4ea07638b.jpg

(^ Something like this)

The fact that The Cap wakes up from being frozen in ice, in "Present Day" 1993 counts against it as a period 50s film. Unless footage from other films could be added somehow skewing it into a 1950s idea of 1993, by cutting in shots of hover cars, monorails and food in pill form :p.

With two months (April 4th) to go before the new Captain America hits cinemas, this edit could be timed beautifully to view along side 'The Winter Soldier'.

For the Flash Gordon idea, what about kinda the opposite: Queen's score set to the 1936 serial (or maybe the edited film version)?

Rogue-theX said:
For the Flash Gordon idea, what about kinda the opposite: Queen's score set to the 1936 serial (or maybe the edited film version)?

That actually sounds like a really fun idea!!! :D

I LIKE IT!!!

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I rewatched Dick Tracy last night, and it is very edit worthy, though I don't think it is a STRIKES! candidate, as the true strength of the movie is the BOLD COLOR element, the use of primary colors in all the cinematography, costumes and sets. Honestly, I think a straight forward black and white version of this movie would remove much of its energy and appeal.

In regards to Matt Salinger's Captain America, while I think it could be salvaged with some sort of fan edit, I think trying to make it into a 1950s style black and white adventure would be too much work, considering 90% of the movie takes place in modern times.

Playing with Photoshop this weekend.... my Jedi Master Rogue-theX was kind enough to send me the psd for an unfinished Phantom Strikes! cover he was working on.... Let me be perfectly clear and give credit where credit is due, Rogue did 99% of this cover, all I did was go in and add some text. Rogue is a dvd cover creating god! :hail:

wh6n.jpg

As much as I love the art work done by TM2YC, I thought it would also be nice to have a similar matching set cover.

sfga.jpg

Especially since I have made my final decision for my next STRIKES! fan edit....;-)
Watch for official details in a couple of weeks.
Stay tuned! :)

Fantastic job finishing it Bob! Looks just right! :rockon:

Rogue-theX said:
Fantastic job finishing it Bob! Looks just right! :rockon:

Thanks Buddy! That means a lot. :):):)

Mmmm art-deco spine font niceness :)

Most decent. Will add to IFDB listing tonight.

Thank You skyled posting another review! YAY! A STRIKES! double feature!!!

Happy you liked the edit. :)

Sorry I had to truncate your favorite piece of music at the end ( I agree it is a FANTASTIC score ) of the movie, just one of the necessary evils of editing.... lol

post removed by me.... suffering Cart-Before-Horse Syndrome... :p sorry...

I just saw this edit with my brother for the first time.
Both of us are fans of the comic, neither of us are fans of the movie - the theatrical cut of it, anyway.

This, on the otherhand, this...! Holy crap!
"The Phantom Strikes" was amazing!!! Your changes just changed this from one of the worst to one of the best CBM's out there!

Mind blown at how the new intro, new end, snips inbetween and black and white elevated the movie a whole new level.
Well done. Very well done.

I have to find your John Carter next.

darth_xenu said:
. . . I have to find your John Carter next.

Do not overlook BionicBob's Shadow Strikes!
Very similar in look and feel to Phantom Strikes!

Back
Top Bottom