• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

I'm a big awards show guy (not the red carpet stuff though, unless we're talking about hot red heads...wait what) ummm, yeah, i enjoy watching awards shows for movies and TV. But not super interested this year. Prob, cause i haven't seen enough of the films that have been nominated. Enjoy your Oscars tonight, I'll be watching True Detective :cool:

When blanchadriel said, "there's so much talent in australia," i presumed she was talking about uncanny and new jersey viet cong.

Anybody else laugh when DeNiro pronounced "caffeine" as "kuh-feen"? :lol:

Neglify said:
My prediction for the major awards this year:

Best Adapted Screenplay - 12 Years a Slave
Best Original Screenplay - Her
Best Supporting Actress - Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto (Dallas Buyer's Club)
Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyer's Club)
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
Best Picture - 12 Years a Slave

No surprises.

Told ya.

That's pretty awesome Neg. I had intended to reply to your predictions and say I agree with all of them, but I didn't, and now you don't believe me, because it looks easier in retrospect to agree now that the predictions proved true, but for the record, I agree(d) with you.

So there.

lol njvc.

And it's not really rocket science. Best indicator for predicting the Oscars are the individual Guild Awards.

They are and that's why I thought it would be Gravity. Not a surprise, though. I could've flipped a coin on who I thought'd take it. But, whatever, I'm very glad with the outcome.

Yeah, it seemed to be a good toss-up between those two. I figured "Slave" because of White Guilt. And most voters assumed correctly Gravity would take a lot of the technical awards so they'd spread the love.

Frantic Canadian said:
Anybody else laugh when DeNiro pronounced "caffeine" as "kuh-feen"? :lol:

No :p

Finally watched the Oscars after trying to avoid the news for the last 24 hours or so. Good call Neglify :).

One thing that surprised me was when Chris Hemsworth announced the Sound Design nominations, was that his film 'Rush' wasn't even nominated. There have been plenty of films this year where I've walked out of the cinema telling everyone how great the performance, VisFX, story, cinematography, editing etc was but 'Rush' was the only movie where I was saying "Did you hear that film!" (It got a Bafta nomination for sound at least).

Yeah, Rush was pretty unfairly snubbed across the board. Unfortunate.

Doesn't Rush fall into next year's Oscar race?

been catching up on the oscar highlights on youtube, ellen though someone i'm not familiar with seemed to really nail it (i really liked the whole pizza segment) while i was rooting for leo having seen dallas buyers club last week i can't argue with McConaughey win. True Detectives has just started here in the UK and he's an actor that is on top of his game at the moment.

Inside Llewyn Davis and in particular Oscar Isaac performance i felt should have had more nominations though i'm am biased being a coen brothers fan

I knocked up a quick Oscars-2015 crib-sheet, thought I'd share it :). I'd like to make an effort to see the nominated films this year. Obviously you're gonna want to start with the 'Best Picture' nominations and then mop up the rest. So here are all the films that are in contention for the "major" categories...

Best Picture:
American Sniper
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Best Director:
Foxcatcher (Bennett Miller)

Best Actress:
Two Days, One Night (Marion Cotillard)

Best Supporting Actor:
The Judge (Robert Duvall)

Best Supporting Actress:
Wild (Laura Dern)
Into the Woods (Meryl Streep)

Best Original Screenplay:
Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Best Original Score:
Interstellar (Hans Zimmer)
Mr. Turner (Gary Yershon)

So I make that 17 films and you've got most of the 87th Academy Awards covered. Of course that omits the following categroies that have zero crossover...

Best Animated Feature Film:
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Best Foreign Language Film:
Ida
Leviathan
Tangerines
Timbuktu
Wild Tales

Best Documentary Film:
Citizenfour
Finding Vivian Maier
Last Days in Vietnam
The Salt of the Earth
Virunga

I'm not doing to well so far, having only seen 'Interstellar' and 'Birdman' :-(. Time for some serious catching up this month!

Some crazy nominees this year, not all of which I agree with. Anyway, I've done pretty good, only need to see American Sniper, Two Days One Night, The Judge, Into the Woods, and Mr. Turner from the main categories. I've also seen one film each from Foreign Language and Animated (shame on the Academy for not nominating The Lego Movie).

I'm confused by that list.

TV's Frink said:
I'm confused by that list.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, what I meant. I was working out all the different films you needed to see to cover all the major awards, not listing all the nominations. For example... 'Foxcatcher' is the only film I listed under "Best Director" because all the other nominated films are also in the "Best Picture" category.

Back from 'Foxcatcher'. Edge of the seat viewing, without any car chases, or explosions, just brooding tension and social discomfort.

It certainly deserves all it's nominations, although for me it should have been up for 'Cinematography' too. It looked like a proper film from the 80s (When it's set appropriately enough), shot on film with all the grainy texture and warmth of the medium. But the best thing was that it didn't looked f**cked around with by the digital colour-graders afterwards (Which usually pretty much negates the benefits of shooting on film). The look reminded me of the muted autumnal palette of 'The Godfather: Part II' which is high praise :).

Back
Top Bottom