• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

I think this is the most intense Oscar race I've ever witnessed by far. I've never felt the need to predict against the frontrunner in the Best Picture race (it's always been 100% locked-up come the ceremony), but I think Gravity will take it. Right now, I'd say 51% Gravity, 49% 12 Years a Slave.

Very excited to see how it all goes down.

Neglify said:
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
Best Picture - 12 Years a Slave

^ This is probably true. It allows the Academy to give Cuaron a pat on the back for the technical achievement of Directing in a totally new way and still give McQueen an award for a very well done and traditional film (I'd give both to Scorsese but that's just me ;-)).

Neglify said:
Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyer's Club)

Could be but I think there's a real chance these will go to Sandra Bullock and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Blanchett is always fantastic but Bullock carried the whole of Gravity almost solo. Chiwetel put in one of those muscular powerful performances that the Academy loves (It also loves method body punishment too though ;-)).

I'd say there is absolutely no chance Blanchett loses. McConaughey I'm not as sure about (I wouldn't be surprised if anyone but Bale takes it), but I think he will win.

I still have yet to see either Blue Jasmine or Gravity (damn you work schedule), but Blanchett is just an incredible actress. FARRRRR more talented than Bullock. While I've heard nice things about her performance in Gravity, I haven't really enjoyed much of her past work. Going in blind, I'll be rooting for Blanchett, who is among my all time favorites.

Not my picks to win, but my own personal favourites...

Best Documentary - The Act of Killing
Best Foreign Film - The Hunt
Best Original Screenplay - Her
Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Best Supporting Actor - Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave) or Jared Leto (Dallas Buyer's Club)
Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street)
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
Best Picture - Her

Although not nominated 'Prisoners' was definitely my favourite movie of 2013.

I predict that I will win Best Picture by default.

TM2YC said:
Could be but I think there's a real chance these will go to Sandra Bullock and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Blanchett is always fantastic but Bullock carried the whole of Gravity almost solo. Chiwetel put in one of those muscular powerful performances that the Academy loves (It also loves method body punishment too though ;-)).

I highly highly doubt Bullock will take it from Blanchett. Ejiofor could be a good surprise Best Actor win though.

my local indie theater (also a pub) is showing the Oscars on the big screen for free. Looking forward to watching them in a theater with beer and friends Sunday night!

Hopefully they don't recognize Blue Jasmine, its director or actors in any way. No need to further the career of a known child abuser and those that support him.

Redstar said:
Hopefully they don't recognize Blue Jasmine, its director or actors in any way. No need to further the career of a known child abuser and those that support him.

Alleged is the word you were looking for. It was nice to see one of Allen's accusers launching a Prime time TV show and signing a lucrative book deal the week after all the publicity from his accusation.

'Innocent until proven guilty' is supposed to be how the law works. Allen shouldn't be penalised for something that has he's never been charged or convicted of. But the Academy will probably avoid giving his film any awards despite him not being guilty of anything.

TM2YC said:
Alleged is the word you were looking for.
I've read the court documents, the eye witness statements, the statements from the psychiatrists and judge and, above all else, read Dylan Farrow's statements. Woody Allen himself has also never denied the claims; instead, he has placed blame on Mia while ignoring his daughter as if she has no agency despite sticking to this exact story for the last twenty years.

Victims are never "alleged," only abusers.

TM2YC said:
It was nice to see one of Allen's accusers launching a Prime time TV show and signing a lucrative book deal the week after all the publicity from his accusation.
Both of those were already in the works months, if not years, before the accusations were made.

And, you know what? It doesn't matter. Dylan Farrow herself, the alleged victim, has had nothing to gain, yet maintained her story for twenty years while also shying away from the public spotlight. I choose to believe her over a man that married his own daughter, tried to destroy his family (as stated by the judge and himself) and has admitted that no one should be surprised if he were caught having sex with 12-year-olds.

Whether or not Allen actually did what they said he did, it has nothing to do with his films (which are fantastic), and especially nothing to do with the Oscars or Cate Blanchett's likely victory tomorrow. Please stop this discussion.

so.... i'm stuck in the middle of nowhere this oscar season. anyone wanna skype during the show? i dont want to watch alone since in my country the ceremony starts at 1am so i need to talk to stay awake ;)

i also agree with DominicCobb, i dont understand what all this conversation as to do with movies or Woody Allen as one of the great directors of our time

DominicCobb said:
Whether or not Allen actually did what they said he did, it has nothing to do with his films (which are fantastic), and especially nothing to do with the Oscars or Cate Blanchett's likely victory tomorrow. Please stop this discussion.
I just don't believe that these people should be supported by the industry. Roman Polanski, a known and admitted child rapist, was allowed to win an Oscar and work with Hollywood actors. It's disgusting.

I also would not agree that Woody Allen's films are "fantastic" considering most revolve around disturbing romantic/sexual relationships with very young or even underage girls. Most always depict the female characters in a negative light with only the males and, especially, Woody's character offered any sympathy.

Well, I could make an argument against your points, but considering it would be off topic, I will just say agree to disagree. Now let's move on.

you can easily look thru history and entertainment types doing questionable and immoral behavior, but this site is for discussing movies and the work of those involved, not the politics of the social lives.

Back to topic please.

Blue Jasmine deserves every award it is nominated for. My favourite of Woody's recent return to form, just ahead of Match Point and Midnight in Paris.

Back
Top Bottom