• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

I was doing some research on how many anime have been nominated for Oscars (and it’s only 6 features, plus a handful of short films), and I came across an article that showed the demographics of the academy voters from like 2017. It was above 80% white, above 70% male, and the average voter age was 63, so yeah, it’s definitely biased towards English films. It sure would be nice to see more animated features besides just Disney and Pixar, and more animated films in categories besides Best Animated Feature.

Didn't Spirited Away win? That was the only one I could think of.

Oh yeah I don’t take it very seriously, I just like to see the nominees and winners because it is regarded as the most prestigious film award ceremony by most. I don’t put any stock in it, I’m just curious.

Didn't Spirited Away win? That was the only one I could think of.
Spirited Away won, and since then 5 other anime have been nominated, all were Ghibli except one, The Red Turtle, which was a collaboration between Ghibli and someone else if I remember correctly.

I'm also a little surprised to see The Power of the Dog nominated for so many categories. I haven't finished watching it and don't see myself making the effort; I really didn't enjoy it much at all.

I'm also a little surprised to see The Power of the Dog nominated for so many categories. I haven't finished watching it and don't see myself making the effort; I really didn't enjoy it much at all.
As we’ve discussed in a other thread, I absolutely loved it. I’m hoping Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car outshine it, but as of now it had my vote for best picture and certainly for both supporting acting categories.

Took me too long to realize that CODA wasn't referring to Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. But apparently that was in 2020 and not 2021, and I don't think it's be eligible for an Oscar anyways considering it's obviously a new cut if an older movie. But I don't actually know.

Took me too long to realize that CODA wasn't referring to Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. But apparently that was in 2020 and not 2021, and I don't think it's be eligible for an Oscar anyways considering it's obviously a new cut if an older movie. But I don't actually know.
CODA is the best feel good movie of the year. It helps if you like Joni Mitchell and music but it certainly isn’t essential. It’s obviously more than that but I don’t want to spoil anything. I flat out loved it.

Troy Kotsur's win at the BAFTAs (and other awards) for 'Coda' was well deserved. Hopefully this leads to more roles for him and other deaf actors and hopefully an Oscar too.

He had to win for this hilarious NSFW sign language scene alone:

It’s Oscar week. CODA just won the PGA, which supposedly better mirrors the Academy voting than the previous awards mostly won by The Power of the Dog. While I loved CODA I do think Power of the Dog is the better film. That said, with all the angst of the past couple of years it might be nice to see a feel good movie win and Dog is most definitely not that.

I’ve seen all the Best Picture nominees this year and many more. There’s a few movies in the acting categories I’ve yet to see. For those that care to see my complete 2021 rankings:

The Power of the Dog
Drive My Car
Licorice Pizza
CODA
Cmon Cmon
The Worst Person in the World
The Courier
Dune
The French Dispatch
Belfast
Spencer
Nightmare Alley
The Last Duel
King Richard
The Tragedy of Macbeth
The Guilty
No Time to Die
The Card Counter
The Lost Daughter
West Side Story
House of Gucci
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Tender Bar
Don’t Look Up
The Many Saints of Newark
Pig
Being the Ricardos
Free Guy
Reminiscence
Black Widow
Justice League
Suicide Squad
Coming 2 America
F9
Matrix Resurrections

Documentaries
Torn
The Rescue
Summer of Soul
14 Peaks
The Alpinist

My predictions/hopes:
Key: *=Want to win; #=Think will win; *#Both

Best Supporting Actress​

• Jessie Buckley, "The Lost Daughter"
  • Ariana DeBose, "West Side Story"
  • Judi Dench, "Belfast"
  • Kirsten Dunst, "The Power of the Dog" *#
  • Aunjanue Ellis, "King Richard"

Best Adapted Screenplay​

• "CODA"
  • "Drive My Car"*
  • "Dune"
  • "The Lost Daughter"
  • "The Power of the Dog" #

Best Original Screenplay​

• "Belfast" #
  • "Don’t Look Up"
  • "King Richard"
  • "Licorice Pizza"
  • "The Worst Person in the World" *

Best Supporting Actor​

• Ciarán Hinds, "Belfast"
  • Troy Kotsur, "CODA" *#
  • Jesse Plemons, "The Power of the Dog"
  • J.K. Simmons, "Being the Ricardos"
  • Kodi Smit-McPhee, "The Power of the Dog"

Best Actor​

• Javier Bardem – "Being the Ricardos"
  • Benedict Cumberbatch – "The Power of the Dog" *
  • Andrew Garfield – "Tick, Tick… BOOM!"
  • Will Smith – "King Richard" #
  • Denzel Washington – "The Tragedy of Macbeth"

Best Actress​

• Jessica Chastain – "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" #
  • Olivia Colman – "The Lost Daughter"
  • Penélope Cruz – "Parallel Mothers"
  • Nicole Kidman – "Being the Ricardos"
  • Kristen Stewart – "Spencer" * [I actually want Renate Reinsve to win, but since she isn’t nominated…]

Best Director​

• Kenneth Branagh – "Belfast"
  • Paul Thomas Anderson – "Licorice Pizza" *
  • Jane Campion – "The Power of the Dog" #
  • Ryûsuke Hamaguchi – "Drive My Car"
  • Steven Spielberg – "West Side Story"

Best Picture​

• "Belfast"
  • "CODA"
  • "Don’t Look Up"
  • "Drive My Car"
  • "Dune"
  • "King Richard"
  • "Licorice Pizza"
  • "Nightmare Alley"
  • "The Power of the Dog" *#
  • "West Side Story"

Last edited:
A reverse angle of that footage:

Batman-Slaps-Robin-Meme.jpg

I usually try to avoid Oscar news/discussion until I've watched the ceremony but I guess that's not happening this year.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the first person to make that joke, in fact you can already buy the t-shirt:

220328212-Batman-Slaps-Robin-Will-Smith-Slaps-Chris-Rock-Meme-Shirt-1-800x800.jpg

I think every one's reaction has been the same as the reaction to another shocking slap at about 7mins into this Red Letter Media video:

I'm sure some RLM fan will edit both together very soon.

The Oscars are usually my cut-off point for a year-end list, so as of 28/03/22 this is my Top-20/Bottom-5 Letterboxd list, in order (more or less): https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/my-top-20-and-bottom-5-movies-of-2021/

1. The Mitchells vs. The Machines (Michael Rianda)
2. Summer of Soul (…or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) (Questlove)
3. After Love (Aleem Khan)
4. The Rescue (Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin)
5. Nightmare Alley (Guillermo del Toro)
6. Four Hours at the Capitol (Jamie Roberts)
7. The Sparks Brothers (Edgar Wright)
8. Licorice Pizza (Paul Thomas Anderson)
9. King Rocker (Michael Cumming and Stewart Lee)
10. The Hand of God (Paolo Sorrentino)
11. Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright)
12. The Beatles: Get Back (Peter Jackson)
13. Censor (Prano Bailey-Bond)
14. Luca (Enrico Casarosa)
15. CODA (Sian Heder)
16. Belfast (Kenneth Branagh)
17. Ron's Gone Wrong (Sarah Smith and Jean-Philippe Vine)
18. Can't Get You Out of My Head (Adam Curtis)
19. The Last Duel (Ridley Scott)
20. F@ck This Job (Vera Krichevskaya)

21. Coming 2 America (Craig Brewer)
22. Being the Ricardos (Aaron Sorkin)
23. Munich: The Edge of War (Christian Schwochow)
24. Army of the Dead (Zack Snyder)
25. Halloween Kills (David Gordon Green)

To be fair, I only strongly disliked the last couple, the other three at the bottom I was indifferent about. That's two films in the list from Edgar Wright.

I haven't yet watched: King Richard, Drive My Car, Boiling Point, Red Rocket, Green Knight, Souvenir Part II, Belle, Spencer, Cyrano, C'Mon C'Mon, Ali & Ava, Titane, Petite Maman, etc etc. If I had the list might've been different but it's too late now.

Definitely some on your list I’d like to check out. I definitely recommend making The Worst Person in the World part of your “etc etc.”

I've had so many interesting discussions today regarding the Oscars. I find it really unfortunate that the conversation is dominated by Will Smith's assault on Chris Rock.

For context, I'm actually a working actor and my full time job is to teach acting classes and perform in a dinner theater company. My specialty is improvisation. The dinner theater show I produce is heavily improvised, with lots of crowd interaction. Many of my friends and collogues are stand up comedians, and most of them have expressed fear that audience members now might feel empowered to attack performers if/when they feel offended.

I still feel Smith deserved the Oscar this year, and was long overdue. But it also pains me that many victims of abuse witnessed a man assault someone and then be handed an award just moments later. I'm really conflicted and overall just disappointed. Disappointed that the majority of people will ignore the historic wins from the evening, like the first deaf actor and first openly queer actress winning their awards. The third female to win best director, the fifth black man to win best actor, and the first movie from a streaming service to win best picture. Moments that should be celebrated have been completely overshadowed by "the slap." Ugh.

Let me be clear, in no way are Will Smith’s actions to be defended. Violence is never the answer. That said, I think Rock’s joke was grossly inappropriate. Pinket-Smith suffers from a disease. Not one that will kill her but one that is almost always very traumatic for those that have it. If her hair choice was her own, the joke was fine. But there is no way anyone would give the joke a pass if she were bald due to chemo. Comedians push boundaries, but Rock went too far. Unfortunately, that is overshadowed by Smith’s way more egregious actions. I, too, lament that the conversation is dominated by this incident. Even without the history made, I thought it was a great year for movies. And one, due to the rapid expansion of streaming, where it was possible to see almost all the nominated films at home before the ceremony. That’s rare and I wish there was more conversation about the films. There were so many movies this year that weren’t safe; that were love ‘em or hate ‘em type movies and that makes for good discussion, at least in a place like this where civil discussion about differences of opinion are possible.

it was a great year for movies. And one, due to the rapid expansion of streaming, where it was possible to see almost all the nominated films at home before the ceremony.
Very true. This year it was noticeably easier to see the nominated films, where as last year actually felt more difficult for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom