• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

To answer you specifically about storytelling: the film lays out inter-generational family trauma along with mid-life identity crises and cultural confrontations about what's traditionally considered "strength" or "success". Then it flips to a sci-fi story whose multi-versality references films as varied as Buckaroo Banzai and the works of Wong Kar Wai and Pixar. Each different universe is actually lit and shot differently, much less performed differently. And if you can name any other "basic multiverse" movie that takes 5 minutes to have the characters have a subtitled philosophical conversation on the meaning of life while they exist as motionless rocks, I'd sure like to know.

None of that is "virtue-signalling", that's just gutsy cinema.

Equating this to a Jackie Chan movie is mind-boggling to me (and kinda racist? Like "any" Jackie Chan movie is all the same??) Same for Marvel. They squandered all the "multi-verse" ideas and did the old Star Trek evil flip of a familiar character in the Dr. Strange sequel while featuring a one-other-verse of predictable, bland backgrounds. I'm not really invested in turning this into some kind of "Let me teach you about cinema" moment though, so I'll let others chime in if they want to note other ways the film broke ground.
steve-carell-thankyou.gif

How is it groundbreaking in storytelling? It's a basic multiverse storyline. We've seen marvel do it the same year. If this deserves it then any jack chan movie deserves it tbh.

Listen, I'm saying this as someone who loved Multiverse of Madness, but even so, it doesn't hold a candle to EEAAO (neither does No Way Home. Maybe Into The Spider-Verse in the medium of animation). This movie was amazing, groundbreaking, and absolutely deserved to win. Why? Because despite being a "fun multiverse movie" AND tying all the characters and themes together in a mind-bending plot, it pushes the envelope, experiments, and demonstrates what can be done with the medium of film while also making a highly emotional AND philosophically rich story. How could it not win Best Picture? Why should it not, compared to any other movie this year? And on top of ALL that, it naturally presents a diverse story of an Asian family and a lesbian daughter in a culturally significant environment. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

But, that's just my two cents. None of this is objective.

steve-carell-thankyou.gif

Listen, I'm saying this as someone who loved Multiverse of Madness, but even so, it doesn't hold a candle to EEAAO (neither does No Way Home. Maybe Into The Spider-Verse in the medium of animation). This movie was amazing, groundbreaking, and absolutely deserved to win. Why? Because despite being a "fun multiverse movie" AND tying all the characters and themes together in a mind-bending plot, it pushes the envelope, experiments, and demonstrates what can be done with the medium of film while also making a highly emotional AND philosophically rich story. How could it not win Best Picture? Why should it not, compared to any other movie this year? And on top of ALL that, it naturally presents a diverse story of an Asian family and a lesbian daughter in a culturally significant environment. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

But, that's just my two cents. None of this is objective.

Anything the movie does rick n Morty already did earlier. And arguably better.

Also Dark on netflix had a multiverse. It REALLY isnt anything special.

But yes it has a gay kid in it. Ofcourse it was going to win lol.

And to clarify I dont think everywhere is bad. It's fun! It just doesnt hold a candle to Banshees of Inishirin.

Harrison Ford looked and sounded ooooollllllllldddd. I think there is going to have to be a lot of CGI body doubles and/or puppeteers operating him, if he's still going to be the action star in his new Indy movie.
My first reaction when Ford started speaking was "Oh man, Ford is old as shit!" haha.
If the previous comment could be deleted that would be great, thank you.

Ke-Huy-Quan.jpg

Can’t be upset about this.

We should remember that these awards are industry awards that almost every industry gives out. I have a few for marketing. Obviously the Oscars is higher profile but it’s really the same concept. And any industry has its politics, etc. I don’t think it’s something to get too worked up over.
Totally agree - it’s a Pat on the back for all the hard work and basically an excuse to party. And looking back over the years in the eyes of critics or movie lovers the academy has got it wrong a lot of the time - so I don’t want to be a reactionist and act like it’s a modern issue.

“The Oscars are perfect.” - Marisa Tomei, Gwyneth Paltrow, and (not) La La Land.

I think the most important takeaway here is that The Mummy '99 now retroactively stars two Oscar winners. 😁

Anything the movie does rick n Morty already did earlier. And arguably better.

Also Dark on netflix had a multiverse. It REALLY isnt anything special.

But yes it has a gay kid in it. Ofcourse it was going to win lol.

Dark was convoluted and a waste of time unfortunately. Don't get me started with Rick n Morty and 1899 lol They're like baby's first sci-fi existentialism.

There were a ton movies with queer people in it in 2022. Fire Island, Bros, Tar, The Policeman, Women Talking- so many movies- good, bad, awful, and great. I don't see how that's indicative of quality. At the end of the day, there can only be one Best Picture.

The best movie of 2022 was Aftersun by Charlotte Wells. It wasn't nominated so rooted for EEAO and The Fabelmans. They got it right. Great movie and the best Oscars Show in years. It flowed well and great production overall.

Here's hoping for Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan in more movies in the future.

Oscar nominations

Best supporting actor​

• Sterling K. Brown, "American Fiction"
  • Robert De Niro, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Robert Downey Jr., "Oppenheimer"
  • Ryan Gosling, "Barbie"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "Poor Things"

Best costume design​

• "Barbie" – Jacqueline Durran
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon" – Jacqueline West
  • "Napoleon" – David Crossman, Janty Yates
  • "Oppenheimer" – Ellen Mirojnick
  • "Poor Things" – Holly Waddington

Best makeup and hairstyling​

• "Golda"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "Society of the Snow"

Best live action short film​

• "The After"
  • "Invincible"
  • "Knight of Fortune"
  • "Red, White and Blue"
  • "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar"

Best animated short film​

• "Letter to a Pig"
  • "Ninety-Five Senses"
  • "Our Uniform"
  • "Pachyderme"
  • "War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko"

Best adapted screenplay​

• "American Fiction" - Cord Jefferson
  • "Barbie" - Noah Baumbach, Greta Gerwig
  • "Oppenheimer" - Christopher Nolan
  • "Poor Things" - Tony McNamara
  • "The Zone of Interest" - Jonathan Glazer

Best original screenplay​

• "Anatomy of a Fall" - Justine Triet, Arthur Harari
  • "The Holdovers" - David Hemingson
  • "Maestro" - Bradley Cooper, Josh Singer
  • "May December" - Samy Burch, Alex Mechanik
  • "Past Lives" - Celine Song

Best supporting actress​

• Emily Blunt, "Oppenheimer"
  • Danielle Brooks, "The Color Purple"
  • America Ferrera, "Barbie"
  • Jodie Foster, "Nyad"
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, "The Holdovers"

Best original song​

• "The Fire Inside" from "Flamin’ Hot"
  • "I'm Just Ken" from "Barbie"
  • "It Never Went Away" from "American Symphony"
  • "Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)" from "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • "What Was I Made For?" from "Barbie"

Best original score​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny"
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Best documentary feature film​

• "Bobi Wine: The People’s President"
  • "The Eternal Memory"
  • "Four Daughters"
  • "To Kill a Tiger"
  • "20 Days in Mariupol"

Best documentary short film​

• "The ABCs of Book Banning"
  • "The Barber of Little Rock"
  • "Island In Between"
  • "The Last Repair Shop"
  • "Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó"

Best international feature film​

• "Io Capitano" (Italy)
  • "Perfect Days" (Japan)
  • "Society of the Snow" (Spain)
  • "The Teachers’ Lounge" (Germany)
  • "The Zone of Interest" (United Kingdom)

Best animated feature film​

• "The Boy and the Heron"
  • "Elemental"
  • "Nimona"
  • "Robot Dreams"
  • "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse"

Best production design​

• "Barbie"
  • "Napoleon"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Best film editing​

• "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Best sound​

• "The Creator"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

Best visual effects​

• "The Creator"
  • "Godzilla Minus One"
  • "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3"
  • "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One"
  • "Napoleon"

Best cinematography​

• "El Conde" - Edward Lachman
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon" - Rodrigo Prieto
  • "Maestro" - Matthew Libatique
  • "Oppenheimer" - Hoyte van Hoytema
  • "Poor Things" - Robbie Ryan

Best actor​

• Bradley Cooper, "Maestro"
  • Colman Domingo, "Rustin"
  • Paul Giamatti, "The Holdovers"
  • Cillian Murphy, "Oppenheimer"
  • Jeffrey Wright, "American Fiction"

Best actress​

• Annette Bening, "Nyad"
  • Lily Gladstone, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Sandra Hüller, "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • Carey Mulligan, "Maestro"
  • Emma Stone, "Poor Things"

Best director​

• Justine Triet, "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • Martin Scorsese, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Christopher Nolan, "Oppenheimer"
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, "Poor Things"
  • Jonathan Glazer, "The Zone of Interest"

Best picture​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "Barbie"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Past Lives"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

Wow, really virtually no surprises. As much as the Golden Globes have gotten even more boring, predictable, and Oscar-y this year, the Oscars manage to continue being more and more insular and less and less interesting. Only thing of note really is I'm surprised how much they love American Fiction (I haven't seen it, just judging from reaction so far.)

Sorry @Bobson Dugnutt , if Barbie only gets a couple Globes (including one basically invented to give to Barbie), then it's only taking one or two Oscars. I'm actually not even convinced it takes Best Song, as Robertson just died this year.

I haven’t seen everything I want to see this year, including Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall, Zone of Interest, and American Fiction. But I definitely feel Celine Song should’ve been nominated for direction. It wasn’t flashy but it was powerful.

Here is my annual Letterboxd combo list of the Oscars, Baftas and Golden globes (in that order): https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/2024-oscar-bafta-golden-globe-nominations/

So far, I've seen 19 out of 65 but still got a month to go.

Saltburn got nominated for nothing. Probably the best cinematography and definitely the best score this year.

The Oscars added 12 films that weren't already up for the other two ceremonies:

Nimona
Robot Dreams
Perfect Days
The Teachers' Lounge
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill a Tiger
El Conde
Golda
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Flamin' Hot
Godzilla Minus One

Saltburn got nominated for nothing. Probably the best cinematography and definitely the best score this year.
I've not seen it (seemed massively overhyped to me, and I'm wary of films reputed to have great set-ups and whiff the 3rd act) but there were several scores that I'd find hard to beat...(in ascending order)
Martin Phipps' Napoleon score does so much heavy-lifting in that film
Joe Hisaishi can do no wrong, Boy and the Heron included
Leonard Bernstein's score in Maestro shouldn't be overlooked simply because it's not an original composition
Ludwig Göransson continues with Oppenheimer to prove he's the best and most innovative working composer today
Robbie Robertson contributes probably his master work with his indigenous-fusion score for Killers of the Flower Moon

Dude, do they even know what a "dad movie" is? Have they ever watched Tango & Cash?

The "Barbie was snubbed!" comments I'm seeing littering my feed are driving me nuts. It got 8 damn Oscar nominations! Many women were recognized! The Margot Robbie/Barbie stans are getting as toxic and annoying as Swifties. They can't just win, everyone else has to lose, especially men?

Dude, do they even know what a "dad movie" is? Have they ever watched Tango & Cash?
If the author of this rag thought that Oppenheimer, a true story about the man that shaped the new world order, is a dad-movie, he probably missed all the fun of the dad movies era.
The "Barbie was snubbed!" comments I'm seeing littering my feed are driving me nuts. It got 8 damn Oscar nominations! Many women were recognized! The Margot Robbie/Barbie stans are getting as toxic and annoying as Swifties. They can't just win, everyone else has to lose, especially men?
I hear you brother, they almost make it look like the best actresses category isn't exclusively held by women. Margot deserved an Oscar for Babylon, but certainly not for Barbie. Even Ryan Gosling shouldn't be nominated, his best performance was in The Believer, but it was like 24 years ago.

for years we heard “Leo deserved his Oscar!” Or “scorcese deserves his Oscar!” and nobody batted an eye now because people say Margot deserved a nomination it’s the end of movies ?!? Cmon ….

Back
Top Bottom