• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

Moe_Syzlak said:
mnkykungfu said:
asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I have a feeling Black Panther won't win, it's a miracle that a superhero movie got nominated, it had even less a chance of winning. Too mainstream.

I don't pay much attention to the Oscars but couldn't you have said this about Return of the King?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers: Endgame win next year for the same reason. Not really because it's going to be the best movie, but because it's the end of a successfully assembled 22 movie arc.

You would've hoped, right? Nothing like it in film history. But it doesn't have the seem veneer as a film like Boyhood. It's not a serious feelm.

I don't pay much attention to the Oscars but couldn't you have said this about Return of the King?

TomH1138 said:
Gaith said:
^ Not really; RotK was a win for the trilogy as a whole and the huge gamble that paid off in epic fashion. Black Panther is a big hit that exceeded expectations, no question, but it's just one movie from the Marvel Studios juggernaut.

Yeah, that did seem to be the case. No one ever officially says the reasons why a certain movie won (they'd have to ask all the members of the Academy), but I also think the win was for Jackson, who had taken the project around to every studio in town, had been turned down or asked to make only one or two movies, etc. An artist stood his ground, the studio listened, and the result was phenomenally successful. That's totally the type of thing Oscar likes to reward.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Were the Assistant and Da 5 Bloods not eligible?

Yeah, WTH Golden Globes?? They did that thing the Oscars always does that I hate: nominating the same half dozen films for everything instead of acknowledging the excellence in specific areas of all the 1,000s of other films released that year. The Assistant doesn't get a nod for directing, actress, or supporting actor? BS. No Invisible Man? Did everyone just forget about Never Rarely Sometimes Always? Of course they can't have any "cool" movies like The Whistlers, Possessor, Black Bear, or His House. And Ben Affleck's over here in The Way Back like "Am I just a meme to you?"

mnkykungfu said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Were the Assistant and Da 5 Bloods not eligible?

The Assistant doesn't get a nod

I can see that. I thought it was amazing and will be on my best of 2020 but it's a very minimal, potentially polarizing movie.

mnkykungfu said:
Never Rarely Sometimes Always? The Whistlers, Possessor, Black Bear...The Way Back

Not seen those yet but I plan to hopefully. I wasn't that enthused about seeing the Ben Affleck one. It's good then?

mnkykungfu said:
His House.

Again, I can understand that one. It's a low budget, British, Horror movie. I'd have been surprised if the US awards gave it a nod. I'd be disappointed if the BAFTAs ignored it though.

I think all of those are worth a look. I'm not personally a fan of all of them, but it's funny how when awards "season" comes, anything that didn't come out in the last few months and push some very particular buttons just gets shunted. I used to think the Golden Globes were a cut above any other awards, but this year they look just the same.

How different would these awards shows be if a movie could only be nominated in a single category? No more director/picture/script nominations: you've got to really think about what worked best in a film. How many other deserving movies would get attention then? Instead of a marketing bonanza swirling around a few movies like they were somehow head and shoulders above ones not mentioned?

When people consider everything that goes into what wins an Oscar, or is even nominated, I think they often don't understand the process. (I still don't have a full grasp on everything and everyone involved.) I thought this video gave a pretty good breakdown of a lot of the factors behind one of the most egregious examples of a "bad Oscar win": Shakespeare in Love.
(And for any Shakespeare in Lov-ers out there, I'm not saying it was a bad movie, just that it was far from the "best" picture that year.)

As I'd hoped the year of pretty much streaming only and few blockbusters seems to be leading to a slightly larger range of films being up for the top awards. I've updated my list to include the BAFTA nominations and it's already 7-films longer than last year's combined list without the Oscars:

The Bafta nominations add 28 films that were not on the Golden Globe list and omits 16 that were. The new additions:

Ammonite
Babyteeth
Calm With Horses
Clemency
Collective
County Lines
Da 5 Bloods
David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet
Dear Comrades!
Greyhound
His House
Les Misérables
Limbo
Moffie
Mogul Mowgli
Mulan
My Octopus Teacher
Pinocchio
Quo Vadis, Aida
Rebecca
Rocks
Saint Maud
The Dig
The Dissident
The Forty-year-old Version
The One And Only Ivan
The Social Dilemma
The White Tiger

I'm glad to see 'His House', 'Saint Maud', 'The Forty-year-old Version' and especially the brilliant 'Babyteeth' being up for awards. As usual there are some oddities caused by Bafta defining what is a 2020 film differently from the GG/Oscars, so things like 'Clemency' and 'Les Misérables' have another bight at the cherry.

As of now, I've seen 30 of the 66 on the list, with a month to go.

I haven't watched too many new films this year but i appreciated His House - it had quite the eerie feel but it just lacked something - something i can't quite put my finger on. Calm with Horses was very good but the remake of Rebecca was terrible. I'm going to try and get around to watching The Dig & Babyteeth next.

Now don’t get me wrong, Tommy Lee Jones was great in The Fugitive. But, looking back, we can all agree it was ridiculous that he beat out Ralph Fiennes, right!?

I've updated my combined 2021 Oscar, BAFTA & Golden Globe nominations list on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/2021-oscar-bafta-golden-globe-nominations/

Most of the big films are the same but 8 films are added to the smaller categories:

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon 2019
Better Days 2019
The Man Who Sold His Skin 2020
Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution 2020
The Mole Agent 2020
Time 2020
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga 2020
Love and Monsters 2020

If 'Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga' doesn't win best song for 'Husavik' then it's insane (it won't win):

I don't see how they can expect us to take any of this seriously when Artemis Fowl doesn't even get a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Best Supporting Actress​

• Jessie Buckley, "The Lost Daughter"
  • Ariana DeBose, "West Side Story"
  • Judi Dench, "Belfast"
  • Kirsten Dunst, "The Power of the Dog"
  • Aunjanue Ellis, "King Richard"

Best Costume Design​

• "Cruella"
  • "Dune"
  • "Cyrano"
  • "Nightmare Alley"
  • "West Side Story"

Best Sound​

• "Belfast"
  • "Dune"
  • "No Time to Die"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "West Side Story"

Best Original Score​

• "Don’t Look Up"
  • "Dune"
  • "Encanto"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "Parallel Mothers"

Best Adapted Screenplay​

• "CODA"
  • "Drive My Car"
  • "Dune"
  • "The Lost Daughter"
  • "The Power of the Dog"

Best Original Screenplay​

• "Belfast"
  • "Don’t Look Up"
  • "King Richard"
  • "Licorice Pizza"
  • "The Worst Person in the World"

Best Animated Short Film​

• "Affairs of the Art"
  • "Bestia"
  • "Boxballet"
  • "Robin Robin"
  • "The Windshield Wiper"

Best Live Action Short Film​

• "Ala Kachuu – Take and Run"
  • "The Dress"
  • "The Long Goodbye"
  • "On My Mind"
  • "Please Hold"

Best Supporting Actor​

• Ciarán Hinds, "Belfast"
  • Troy Kotsur, "CODA"
  • Jesse Plemons, "The Power of the Dog"
  • J.K. Simmons, "Being the Ricardos"
  • Kodi Smit-McPhee, "The Power of the Dog"

Best Film Editing​

• "Don't Look Up"
  • "Dune"
  • "King Richard"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "Tick, Tick... Boom"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling​

• "Coming 2 America"
  • "Cruella"
  • "Dune"
  • "The Eyes of Tammy Faye"
  • "House of Gucci"

Best Animated Feature Film​

• "Encanto"
  • "Flee"
  • "Luca"
  • "The Mitchells vs. the Machines"
  • "Raya and the Last Dragon"

Best Original Song​

• "Be Alive" (King Richard)
  • "Dos Oruguitas" (Encanto)
  • "Down to Joy" (Belfast)
  • "No Time to Die" (No Time to Die)
  • "Somehow You Do" (Four Good Days)

Best Documentary Short Subject​

• "Audible"
  • "Lead Me Home"
  • "The Queen of Basketball"
  • "Three Songs for Benazir"
  • "When We Were Bullies"

Best Documentary Feature​

• "Ascension"
  • "Attica"
  • "Flee"
  • "Summer of Soul (Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised)"
  • "Writing with Fire"

Best Visual Effects​

• "Dune"
  • "Free Guy"
  • "No Time to Die"
  • "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings"
  • "Spider-Man: No Way Home"

Best Cinematography​

• "Dune"
  • "Nightmare Alley"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "The Tragedy of Macbeth"
  • "West Side Story"

Best Production Design​

• "Dune"
  • "Nightmare Alley"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "The Tragedy of Macbeth"
  • "West Side Story"

Best International Feature Film​

• "Drive My Car"
  • "Flee"
  • "The Hand of God"
  • "Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom"
  • "The Worst Person in the World"

Best Actor​

• Javier Bardem – "Being the Ricardos"
  • Benedict Cumberbatch – "The Power of the Dog"
  • Andrew Garfield – "Tick, Tick… BOOM!"
  • Will Smith – "King Richard"
  • Denzel Washington – "The Tragedy of Macbeth"

Best Actress​

• Jessica Chastain – "The Eyes of Tammy Faye"
  • Olivia Colman – "The Lost Daughter"
  • Penélope Cruz – "Parallel Mothers"
  • Nicole Kidman – "Being the Ricardos"
  • Kristen Stewart – "Spencer"

Best Director​

• Kenneth Branagh – "Belfast"
  • Paul Thomas Anderson – "Licorice Pizza"
  • Jane Campion – "The Power of the Dog"
  • Ryûsuke Hamaguchi – "Drive My Car"
  • Steven Spielberg – "West Side Story"

Best Picture​

• "Belfast"
  • "CODA"
  • "Don’t Look Up"
  • "Drive My Car"
  • "Dune"
  • "King Richard"
  • "Licorice Pizza"
  • "Nightmare Alley"
  • "The Power of the Dog"
  • "West Side Story"

Not a ton of surprises. I’m glad to see CODA get a nod. Of the Best Picture nominees I still need to see Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car. I’m not a fan of musicals in general, but I suppose I should see West Side Story as well.

I’m just happy that Stewart got that nom for Spencer. She should def win imo. And also happy for Ryûsuke Hamaguchi’s Best Director nom. One thing I’m very disappointed about is the lack of a nomination for Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time for Best Animated Feature. But perhaps it just didn’t play at enough US theaters to qualify, or however that rule works. Anyway, most of the noms are good I think.

Quite some nice nominations here, I have not yet seen Spencer, but I had a feeling it would be the Lady Di movies I was expecting for a long time. I am surprised by all those noms for Power of the Dog. I have not yet finished it on Netflix. Could we have some sort of a contest about picking the winner? It would be fun to see again how movies are not picked based on their quality, but a little biased.

Here is my annual Letterbox list of Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe nominations (in that order): https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/2022-oscar-bafta-golden-globe-nominations/

The Oscars only added 8 films this year not already nominated by the other two ceremonies:

Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom
Ascension
Attica
Writing with Fire
Four Good Days
Coming 2 America
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home

I usually try to watch as many as I can but I've only seen 7 so far :( .

The main categories seem pretty good. I’m surprised French Dispatch didn’t get more, though I don’t think it was BP quality. But its design and cinematography were great. I can’t really argue about the documentaries I would’ve liked to have seen nominated as I’ve only seen Summer of Soul of the ones that were nominated. I really need to find a way to see Drive My Car and Licorice Pizza soon. It’s tough to find them here.

It would be fun to see again how movies are not picked based on their quality, but a little biased.
I was doing some research on how many anime have been nominated for Oscars (and it’s only 6 features, plus a handful of short films), and I came across an article that showed the demographics of the academy voters from like 2017. It was above 80% white, above 70% male, and the average voter age was 63, so yeah, it’s definitely biased towards English films. It sure would be nice to see more animated features besides just Disney and Pixar, and more animated films in categories besides Best Animated Feature.

Also I’m disappointed that Dune didn’t get any acting nominations. I was really hoping for a Rebecca Ferguson and Oscar Isaac Supporting Actress/Actor nom.

While the motion picture industry is clearly global the Academy is essentially a trade organization for Hollywood. Most industries have similar awards and they’re going to be biased towards their membership. The Oscars is probably the most well known and biggest of any awards ceremony, but it’s still fundamentally the same as something like the Clio Awards, which is for the advertising industry or literally thousands of others. I understand the frustration of not seeing the projects one enjoys being represented—and it is a problem—it helps to not take it so seriously and remember what it really is. For all the industry awards shows I’ve attended for work my biggest takeaway was always whether or not there was an open bar.

Back
Top Bottom