• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE MATRIX EVOLUTIONS (V3 DVD-9 Now Available)

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Added links to the Rapidshare download for the avi version (since there were some people who wanted it, but didn't want to use torrents).

I'm currently 1/4 of the way done with the text commentary (lewis's and Ghostcut's advice helped alot); the DVD is nearly done, save for the AI trailer.

I don't know, though, whether or not the menus should be animated: I mean, they're nicely designed static menus and although animated menus are always nice, I just don't want to take anymore additional time to get the DVD out (I'm already behind on it's release as is).

Take all the time you need, JasonN. It is highly unlikely, you will return later on to this project to create new menus.

Static menus are perfectly fine. I, personally, don't download a fanedit to gawk at a fancy motion menu.

I agree that there's absolutely no need for a fan edit to have anything more than a proper, well planned fan edit on the disk.

However, as a way of advertisement to friends (and honestly I just use Attack of the Phantom every time after I let my friend fall asleep during a poor second half I was watching for the first time, but think about the first timers downloading them as a similar example) who are newcomers to the fan edit world, having even a simple motion menu and maybe a commentary helps give them the impression that "whoa, these guys know what they're doing".

Plus at the end of the day, they really do look pretty cool.

and hey... we're not a company trying to meet a deadline... ho holiday weekends we have to rush to meet lol there is no such thing as being "behind" on releasing your edit.... just release it when you are done... and not before ;)

Yeah, man. Don't rush it out to meet some kind of release deadline. We're all willing to wait.

Just got back home from watching Cloverfield at the cinema (freaking-awesome movie, btw) and started working on the DVD again - everything, except for the text commentary, is pretty much finished and ready.

I just hope Rapidshare will have their crap fixed by tomorrow, so I can hopefully start uploading then.

Ok, the DVD has been slightly delayed again - for whatever reason, when I import the subtitles into DVD Architect the paragraph positioning of the subtitles gets crapped-up, so I have to go in and manual fix it which takes some time to do since I'm dealing with two subtitle files and a nearly 3 hour movie.

I'm really diggin' this version, but I think it needs an intermission or something. It's tough to process in one sitting. I'll try to give some more feedback after I can process it.

Edit:
I liked cutting short the part that is hidden, but I think it might have been cut too swiftly. He just goes from feeling around looking for Trinity to outside the ship.

Overall, he makes so many changes to the story that it is totally different than most other cuts. In this version, the Oracle helps Neo get to the source. However, the big difference is that the Merovingian highjacks the route to the source and Neo is stopped in the train man's subway station. Neo is able to get out and again the Oracle tells him to get to the source. In this version, it is implied that the Oracle loses her body as a result of helping Neo get to the source (in the original, it is left less clear, just a result of a choice) and that the Merovingian has something to do with it. Neo makes it to the source with Trinity, but when he confronts the machine, he meets the Architect. I had some problems here with the dialogue since he refers to Trinity entering the matrix. This perhaps could get cut (I think there are like 12 frames of her having the poles go through her that you see). Neo takes the other door back to the matrix and fights Smith. It really doesn't make sense if he enters the Matrix to save Trinity, then why does he fight Smith and never see Trinity. I think this should be made more clear somehow. Finally, when Neo fails to comply, Smith and everyone in the Matrix dies as the Architect says they would. However, given the surprise at the end, you have to wonder if everyone doesn't die or if this is the next version of the Matrix and the machines have rebuilt it. It kind of destroys some of the hope that you get in the original versions, but I like the philosophical spirit.

Does Trinity "wake up" Neo as the next anomaly in another version or was it all a dream?

Work on the DVD version is going slowly, but steadily - I'm currently making the transition into 2nd Semester and all the "fun" that contains (basically, I have 2 professors that are completely nuts and homework-freaks to boot).

I had announced this over at the OT.com thread, but I'll also mention it here as well: for the final DVD version of the Edit, I am considering cutting the last line of dialogue or possibly making a small tweak to the end scene of the film (but maybe snipping the dialogue would be good enough, I'll see how things work out).

EDIT: Never mind, I'm keeping the last line after all.

The best fanedit I've seen. 99% of fanedits focus on eliminating the stupider aspects of the original piece. Of course, you did that. But with the ending I felt you created something new. Raised the bar for me. I would definitely download any kind of commentary or essay.

kaine23 said:
How's the dvd version coming along?
Very slowly - I had a bunch of shit going on lately, so it's progress has been delayed.

Hopefully (God willing), it'll be done sometime next week.

I've decided to add another extra to the DVD version:
When I first started work on this edit (many months ago, way back when I was using Microsoft MovieMaker), I had concepted another ending instead of the current one that's one the Edit. Although the 1st ending had a few interesting ideas to it, I ultimately decided not to use it and created the current ending in it's place, which I feel is much more satisfying and engaging.

However, I thought maybe a few people might like to see that first ending I had developed, so I'm making it in Vegas and including it on the DVD.

One hint:
the footage for the "lost" ending is from another film not set in the Matrix mythos...

Just had a chance to read your comments - to try and answer a few of the questions you had, here are several thoughts that I had with making this fanedit (DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO WATCH THE EDIT YET):

[spoiler:32qxuk0c]Trinity's "Death"/Architect/Neo's Choice
To a large extent, Neo's final choice that the Architect gives him is based on illusion/s. Whether or not Trinity is really alive or dead or trapped in the "Matrix" is immaterial - it is Neo's choice that is the most important factor. When the Oracle in the Park tells Neo, "You've already made the choice. Now you must understand it", she is really telling him, "Look, you already made a decision on this: there is no way in hell you're going to let Trinity die", but it is the second part of that statement that is the most important. If Neo truly understood the Choice and realized that by choosing the Right Door to save "Zion", that does not mean it "excludes" Trinity: Trinity is still a part of Zion, a part of humanity - choosing to save everyone also includes her. However, Neo feels that he has no other bond more important that Trinity and places her (a single individual) as being of greater importance that the other humans of Zion (the community). That is the flaw in the "One" and that is the reason why Neo is not yet ready to join the "Source" (be it Paradise, Perfection, Nirvana, etc... take your pick).

The other concept I had with the "Trinity/Agent encounter" dreams is that just because Neo think it is a future event or that the Architect shows it to Neo near the end, this does not necessarily mean that it occurs in the Present or Future: the Oracle states that Neo's seeing the world "without time", which Neo (and most audiences, from what I've seen) assumed to be a future event, but that may not really what she's saying at all. If you've ever read into things like the science of quantum mechanics and time physics or religions like Buddhism, Jainism, or Hinduism, Time could be viewed as being circular instead of linear and in a constant state of repetion and reincarnation where past, present, and future are both seperate and the same. So, Trinity's encounter with the Agent may have perhaps been a past event instead of a future one.

The Role of Smith
By deciding that Trinity is more important than all of Zion, Neo had demonstrated that he has not truly freed his mind and that he still dependent on the "physical" connections - in other words, Neo has proven that he is not ready for the Source and so his existence must now be terminated and reborn, which is why he returns to the "Matrix" Matrix. That is why only Smith remains in Neo's "Matrix" - the Source has seperated Neo from ALL connections that he may have had/make, leaving only Smith as a "destroyer" for Neo. Smith's primary purpose has been to challenge Neo, but his secondary purpose (which even he is not fully aware of) is to terminate Neo's existence and restart the Matrix should Neo choose the Left Door in the end. And just as Neo has visions of Trinity's "death", Smith too is starting to have visions of "Neo's end" (hence the "I've seen this" speech at the end).

The Nature of the "Matrix"
For the original film, I did (and still do) believe that there is more than one Matrix in the film and that there are numerous "Realities" that exist in the Matrix and beyond it. At the end of Reloaded, I was thoroughly convinced that my theories were correct and that the "Zion" world was merely another Matrix built on top of the first one (in particular, Neo's new "powers" in the Zion world, which for me only makes sense if you looked at that world as being another simulation, another illusion). However, by the time that Revolutions came and ended, the filmmakers more or less gave me (and the other viewers) a giant middle finger and said: "Neo has powers in the real world cause he's Jesus!" "Zion is the 'real' world, as in the same reality that we're in." "All you need is Love and Peace and Unity and Humanity and...."

Naturally, I was royally P.O.ed at the Wachoskis brothers and swore off watching the sequel films ever again (I only looked at them again when I started work on this Edit).[/spoiler:32qxuk0c]

That's really cool JasonN, I'm still looking forward to this edit. Can't wait! :)

Jason,

Are you still planning on releasing the DVD version? I've been waiting to see it posted by someone in the rapidshare section of the forum but haven't seen it there....

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom