• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Arkenstone Edition

Is anyone else having problems downloading all of the parts of Kerr's awesome edit? On the AVCHD version Part 6 won't download (status on JDownloader is at Temporarily Unavailable). I've also tried out the DVD version, but Parts 1 and 20 are Temporarily Unavailable too......as well as Parts 3 and 11 on the .MP4 version. :/ I've been checking out the LotR Red Book edits, and look forward to checking out AUJ soon :)

codefinder said:
Is anyone else having problems downloading all of the parts of Kerr's awesome edit? On the AVCHD version Part 6 won't download (status on JDownloader is at Temporarily Unavailable). I've also tried out the DVD version, but Parts 1 and 20 are Temporarily Unavailable too......as well as Parts 3 and 11 on the .MP4 version. :/ I've been checking out the LotR Red Book edits, and look forward to checking out AUJ soon :)

Send a PM to kerr.

That was a HUGE improvement over the original. I would have done a few things slightly different, such as eliminate the rabbits, but leave some of the stone giant scene in- not the rediculous survival of the party on the giants, but just a shot or two of the giants. I prefer the original death of the Goblin King, although I'm glad much of goblin town's video game style of action was cut. Loved the choice of soundtrack. I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by Gandalf's whispering to the moth scene. Too often, Jackson repeats actions like this exactly how it was done in The Lord Of The Rings. We don't need to be shown the connection between The Hobbit and The LOTRs. Overall, I loved the choices made in this fan-edit and can't wait to see what will be done to Part 2.

I loved this edit. It fixed every single problem I had with the theatrical cut of the film, and saved me having to do my own edit of it, so for that alone: THANK YOU.

It's also probably the only fanedit I've seen where each and every decision the faneditor made was (IMO) right. For anyone who felt the theatrical cut was badly paced, filled with excess CGI and cartoony action, and not focused enough on Bilbo, this is really a great edit. It eradicates all those problems.

Incidentally, I felt the second Hobbit had the exact same issues, so hopefully Kerr will do an equally great job fixing DOS.

yads said:
I loved this edit. It fixed every single problem I had with the theatrical cut of the film, and saved me having to do my own edit of it, so for that alone: THANK YOU.

It's also probably the only fanedit I've seen where each and every decision the faneditor made was (IMO) right. For anyone who felt the theatrical cut was badly paced, filled with excess CGI and cartoony action, and not focused enough on Bilbo, this is really a great edit. It eradicates all those problems.

Incidentally, I felt the second Hobbit had the exact same issues, so hopefully Kerr will do an equally great job fixing DOS.

Totally agree. I really liked An Unexptected Journey but Kerr made it even better. And since I really didn't like Desolation of Smaug my hope lies again with Kerr.... pleeeease get rid of that golden statue....!!!

I also joined the forums just to say THANK YOU Kerr.

Walking out of the showing of AUJ I was gob-smacked. I turned to my friend and said "The movie wasn't horrible... there is probably a really good little adventure movie lost in there. If you cut 20% (35 minutes) out it would be a better movie." Fellowship is my all-time favorite movie, and already in TTT and RotK the signs of excess and bloat were starting to show, but in AUJ it was really over the top.

I've been thinking of doing a fan cut of this film for over a year but now there is no point. All of my issues are gone, and this is the biggest improvement I've seen with a fanedit since The Phantom Edit and Attack of the Phantom. KUDOS sir! KUDOS!

I sincerely hope you also do an Arkenstone edition of DoS and it would be awesome once TABA is out if you could also touch up the original trilogy as well to match. I think a lot of us are not looking for Purist editions (But I do plan on checking out your red book of westmarch edits), but just well paced movies. You have succeeded in this regard brilliantly!

Dolfanar said:
I think a lot of us are not looking for Purist editions (But I do plan on checking out your red book of westmarch edits), but just well paced movies. You have succeeded in this regard brilliantly!

Hear, hear.
When I read [MENTION=5879]kerr[/MENTION] 's description that he didn't go for a straight purist cut but wanted to leave Jackson's ideas intact but... well.. make them work, I was super excited. Especially the amount of work and detail that has been put into this. This is not just hacking and slashing away things that don't work, this is carefully smoothing out all those bumps to re-sell us this used car in a way that we believe it is brand new and state of the art

I was thinking of DoS and how an Arkenston type edit could work. IMO one of the things Kerr did great was to make Bilbo the main character, but in the original cut of Unexpected Journey, while Bilbo is lost from time to time, he's still basically featured in 60-70% of the scenes, but in DoS... I can't think of any Bilbo scenes other than his confrontation with Smaug.

Really curious to hear what you're thinking ahead of messing with DoS.

Is this thread still alive ? I would be very interested in seeing this Arkenstone version indeed.

Xavier_OM said:
I would be very interested in seeing this Arkenstone version indeed.

Read the FAQ, it tells how to find fanedits to download.

Thanks, I have read it a few days ago, and then decided to write a PM to kerr. Maybe I was not polite enough I don't know :/ Or do you think I need to send a PM to someone else?

You obviously did not read the FAQ. Click the link, open your eyes and read the first question.

Yes I did :/ if the site is down FAQ clearly says to PM the editor in this situation. Do I miss something obvious ? Sorry if that's the case.

The site isn't down. I just checked. Now so we don't clog this thread and irk the mod(s) send me a private message if you don't know what to do.

Neglify said:
Now so we don't clog this thread and irk the mod(s)
Too late. But in your defense, I'm very irkable.

Wow this is just what i need! :) Planning to watch hobbits 1+2 with my partner who hasnt seen them before we go watch battle of the 5 armies on imax next month. Got the unexpected journey- extended blu ray (mainly for the extras) but its far too long- she's just going to hate it and dont want to put her off the final 2 films! :(

The cuts mentioned seem just what this film needs! Desolation could also do with a few cuts but not as badly. I'll check if there are any good edits of that after we've watched the arkenstone edition!

Someone can pm me a link- i would be most appreciative! :)

ykhan16 said:
Someone can pm me a link- i would be most appreciative! :)

You can find all the Hobbits edit on Info, no need for a PM. Read the FAQ if you need more Info(rmation).

Kerr, we're on the edge anticipating what you do with the DoS - Arkenstone Edition!!!

Yes, eagerly awaiting the Arkenstone edition of DoS. There have been some very good DoS edits out there but nothing has approached the Arkenstone edition of the first Hobbit for me, which was a revelation when I saw it.

Back
Top Bottom