• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Arkenstone Edition

I think the "Eagles to the rescue" thing is a big problem that alot of people have with Jackson's films and his fault really for making them mute. In the books, the Eagles dialogue makes it clear they only rescue Gandalf (And his companions) because they respect Gandalf and even then it's played as pretty unusual behaviour. I always got the impression that Gandalf considered himself beneath the Eagles in the grand scheme of things, so them helping him is indeed an honour.

But a person watching the films without this knowledge from the book, would think that the Eagles are just dumb pets that are always at Gandalf's call like ringing for a Pizza. It would be a mammoth job to do but I wonder if dialogue could be added to the Eagle scenes?

^ exactly right. Why didn't the Eagles talk? The Giffins in Narnia talked, no problem. IN the movieverse, they should be cut because they wreck the spirit of the book even though they are in the letter of the book!

I understand that, I just believe that if in is in the book, and they filmed it, it should be shown, even with the alterations made. My desire to be slavish to the "spirit" of the book is not that deep. And as I keep telling my friends, I really don't see these movies as Hobbit(a single book) adaptations anyway, they are adaptations of the Hobbit's story, and the additional material that Tolkien wrote to expand on and add context to the very simple tale he wrote.

Wonder how the talking birds thing is gonna be handled in Hobbit 2&3?

I'd also wondered how they were gonna work around the fact that the whole Goblin mountain sequence was in pitch darkness in the book. But they just added loads of lights and changed Bilbo from getting a bump on the head to Bilbo falling down a massive chasm and dying ;-)

I think alot of people also had a problem with the plate song in The Hobbit because music and song was scaled way back in LOTR so it came as a shock to most viewers (Who had not read Tolkien before). I wish the FOTR film had this in it from the BBC radio adaptation...

^ Honestly one of the most beautiful songs I can think of. Sung by none other than a young Bill Nighy (On the left)...

radionighy460.jpg

Bill-Nighy-Doctor-Who.jpg

Can I make an argument for the Out of the Frying Pan sequence? Cut in a two part edit, that's fine, but in AUJ it plays an important role. Yes, no one bites the dust or anything in it. But Thorin gets knocked out, and when he's about to lose his head, Bilbo runs over and saves him. This is very important for making the film feel like it's own entity. Before Bilbo does this, Thorin still isn't really sold on him. Sure, he understands their plight and he's going to go along with them, but Bilbo saving Thorin is the point when Bilbo turns from the burden to the 14th member of the company. Only then does Thorin respect him. And I think he needs to reach that point in the first film, otherwise it feels incomplete.

Though, like I said, in a two part edit it's okay, I suppose, because Bilbo saves the dwarves from the Elves, which, if I remember correctly, was how he gained their respect in the book.

But out of the frying pan feels forced. Why would Bilbo move first? More importantly why don't any of the other dwarves. They LOVE Thorin, and they are fighters. Bilbo goes to rescue Thorin while no-one else does simply because the film demanded it, not because of any character motivations. ANd that really bugs me! :)

That song is beautiful. I have to wonder if it was filmed and then deleted.

Is the audio on your BD in AC3 format, or is it DTS-HD like the retail blu-ray?

Not a lot new to add to the commentary thus far, but after watching last night, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The huge cuts to the goblin king were refreshing and the score changes were excellent, even if the dialog wasn't always at the right volume. Best work I've seen on the subject since Feanor's edits of LoTR. I only hope you can do the same with DoS. Good film, but will need some work.

After having read through the thread and watching the edit, I don't have much to add but my own thanks for such a fantastic rework of the film. The pacing is far better than the original, the themes more consistent and less heavy-handed, the score fluid and engaging. There was perhaps one awkward cut during the White Council meeting, but if I hadn't known it was an edited version of the film, I likely wouldn't have noticed. Perhaps it's my audio setup, but I didn't have any issues with dialog volumes. I really appreciate your take on the overuse of CGI (i.e. best to be left on the cutting room floor), as it's becoming a worse and worse part of the series. I'm already looking forward to your take on DoS, if only to have that damn barrel scene fixed.

I was wondering how i could obtain a copy of this great movie. Could you please direct me to where i may find this.

see the top of the page:

1. [*=left]If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

IMO things that need to go are Radagast's visit to Dol Goldur, replacing his story to Gandalf with the Spider attack on his house.
Any mention of the Nazgul being burried and the visit to the high-fells.

And you could probably restructure Gandalf's visit to Dol Guldur so that it is presented as a story he tells the White Council when at Rivendell(instead of bringing out the Nazgul blade) and with whatever footage TaBA gives us leave the council's decision ambigious so that when Gandalf leaves the Company at Mirkwood his destination isn't known until the council attacks Dol Goldur. One of the last things Gandalf could say before learning of the Dwarves' departure is his line to Radagast from DoS "...we need to force his hand."

The DOS EE's Thrain scene could be added to the Bagend party when Gandalf mentions Thrain gave him the key.

i can't wait for this! it's my first time here and there’s a lot i want to see but i feel like an unexpected journey has been begging for a fix so i'll start with that one if i can. appreciate the work!

EDIT:
wait, is it (and are other edits) available to stream or only to download? i've read the rules and understand that it's up to the editor, but is streaming often used or is it generally download-only?

It's usually download only. We don't do streaming too much here. Some editors will put their edits on Vimeo but that's about it.

yeah i didn't think so. no matter, i'm making the jump to vpn now so hopefully i'll be watching it tonight :)
thanks for the pm!

I just want to take the time to thank all the new users who have PM'd me for this edit. You have all been very polite and I appreciate the time you took to read my posts in the Trades and Requests section.

Are you planning to do the same thing for the second Hobbit film once its released on DVD?

billyboy2010 said:
Are you planning to do the same thing for the second Hobbit film once its released on DVD?

I would put good money on kerr doing a DoS edit once the EE is out.

Back
Top Bottom