• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hand of the King (Game of Thrones Season 1 Edit)

TV's Frink said:
Am I the only one who keeps thinking this is an Iron Man edit?

You and [MENTION=7560]Kal-El[/MENTION] :lol:

*searches thread*

Ah, damn.

Hey [MENTION=6348]TV's Frink[/MENTION] not to worry, that only means we know it's a better title for Iron Man than it is for Game of Thrones ;)

A Blue Skies on Mars sort of edit for a condensed Iron Man 1 and 2 edit. Whiplash working for Iron Mongul ;)

So anyway, now that we've established it's a better IM title... :p Back on topic!

This edit is completed but I would like to get some outside feedback before I finalize and release. PM me if you're interested in checking it out.

I'd like to see it but I don't know if I'll have time to watch for at least a week. Life is hectic.

I got some great feedback from DominicCobb on this narratively and technically. I'm going to make a couple tweaks and some changes which should take this runtime down a bit and make it better.

So I made a mistake with this one. I was working off of one version, got it to where I wanted, watched every minute of the blu-ray for the 20th time, then rendered the mp4. I found out about one of Sony Vegas's quirks. It will occasionally flatten every audio crossfade completely in the project. So if you got a preview from me a while back, disregard it please. The audio is horrendous.

That being said, I've been working on this for the last couple weeks and it is radically different. It's down from 2hr40 mins to just over an hour and a half. Bran is gone completely, as is Tyrion (I love him but his story doesn't go anywhere and my attempt to kill him off was too ambitious and didn't really work). This is really focused on Ned, Robert and Cersei. I believe it works way better. I redid the opening and closing credits, too. Lots of stuff I love is gone but the narrative flows so much better and works surprisingly well for the runtime, in my opinion. I should have a preview of the new version (really a total 2.0 cleaning up lots of little things some added experience and helpful feedback showed me) this weekend.

I also changed the title. TM2YC gave me a great title but I would like the edit to work on its own (at least theoretically) and I think it kinda gives away the arc. So I'm sticking with the simpler "Hand of the King" since that's what this is all about now.

thecuddlyninja said:
I found out about one of Sony Vegas's quirks. It will occasionally flatten every audio crossfade completely in the project.

Weird. I've never had that happen in all the hundred or so things I've rendered in Vegas.

Neglify said:
Weird. I've never had that happen in all the hundred or so things I've rendered in Vegas.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't actually rendering that was the issue. It was the project file. When I opened it, all of the audio was just bumped right up against the next, whether I had it fading in, out or crossfading all transitions were gone. I googled and couldn't find any similar issues. I started keeping a few different versions of my project files by date, which ended up being pretty really handy when the same thing happened to my Independence Day edit. I'm not technically savvy enough to even venture a guess as to the cause since the file wasn't corrupted or anything. Oh well. Keeping a few versions is not hard, it's just weird.

Plus, it's really my fault for not giving the attention to other formats. If it's going to be previewed in different formats (and eventually released) then I should have rewatched the mp4, too, even after making no changes.

Maybe Vegas just hates Game of Thrones.

Neglify said:
Maybe Vegas just hates Game of Thrones.

Perhaps. But surely nothing could hate the king of late 90s action cheese, Independence Day!!

This thing is now an hour and forty minutes. I think it's much cleaner narratively. Here's the scene blocking (SPOILER):

Credit sequence over animated images of Robert killing Rhaegar Targaryen and the sacking of King's Landing, ending with him and his Hand, Jon Arryn.
Jaime and Cersei discuss the death of the Hand.
Catelyn tells Ned that Jon Arryn has died.
The King arrives in the North, presents the offer. They feast in celebration. That night Ned and Cat receive the letter from Cat's sister about the Lannisters, then Ned and the King leave for King's Landing the next day.
Jaime Lannister welcomes Ned to the capital.
Small council meets.
Cersei and Joffrey discuss enemies.
Joffrey gives Sansa the necklace.
Ned talks to Arya about swordfighting.
The dancing master teaches her a thing or two.
30 MINUTE MARK
Ned learns of Jon Arryn's last days from Pycelle and gets the book.
Littlefinger tells Ned about Ser Hugh and the armorer.
Ser Hugh refuses to talk to Ned's captain. (I thought about cutting this part because he just dies but I think it establishes the danger around these questions and cements Littlefinger on Ned's good side, which is important later. It develops a web around the old Hand's death with Varys, Littlefinger et al)
Ned meets Gendry.
Cersei issues Ned a word of warning.
Ser Hugh's untimely end.
Varys trusts Ned and tells him of the Tears of Lys (spelling?)
Ned meets another bastard.
Jaime threatens Ned (Tyrion is gone so the motivation is now different. He's been adversarial since they met and it should seem surprising. When we later learn that he is at the heart of the questions being asked it makes perfect sense (I hope!))
Syrio teaches Arya the water dance and about the one god, death. "Not today."
Ned wakes up and King Robert forces an uneasy truce between Cersei and Ned.
Ned wants the girls out of King's Landing. Sansa brings up hair color inadvertently...
Ned reads about the Baratheon line in the book.
The King goes on a boar hunt.
Ned confronts Cersei.
ONE HOUR MARK
Robert's deathbed.
Renley proposes swift action.
Littlefinger assures Ned.
King Joffrey calls Ned to court.
Ned is betrayed.
The First Sword of Braavos does not run.
Cersei pleads for mercy.
Varys visits Ned in the dungeon. He tells him Robb marches south.
HOUR AND A HALF MARK
Robb arrives at the towers. They begin a dinner feast.
The beheading of Ned Stark at the statue of Baleor and the Red Wedding are intercut in different pieces so both climax at the same time.
Yuren takes Arya with him. A glimmer of hope.
Short credits.
Mid-credits scene.
End credits.

Now Bran is gone along with Rickon and Jon Snow as well as Tyrion and everything in Essos and at the Wall.

Major new differences: Since Bran doesn't exist, we don't know what's going on with the Lannisters until Lord Eddard does. Prince Joffrey seems like just a spoiled brat; we don't know much else about him until later.

New blu-ray cover:

Hand%20of%20the%20King%20bluray%20cover1.jpg

cover based on art from quotesideas.com, back based on art by deviantart user julbba

New DVD cover:

Hand%20of%20the%20King%20DVD%20cover1.jpg

cover based on art from quotesideas.com, back art by specialeventscout.com

I've been working hard on this for a while and it has now been resubmitted. It's just under 1 hr 40 minutes.

This is now approved! Gonna record a commentary track and try to get this out next week.

^ Damn fine trailer! It'll be interesting to see how you've removed so many characters.

TM2YC said:
^ Damn fine trailer! It'll be interesting to see how you've removed so many characters.
Thank you! I should be recording the commentary tomorrow then putting it together.

thecuddlyninja said:
This is now approved! Gonna record a commentary track and try to get this out next week.

Congrats. When you are done, please start a new thread or let us know if you want this one moved.

It took me forever to find the time for this but I finally recorded the commentary track last night with my wife. Lots of edit-specific talk but also overall Game of Thrones show stuff, general tomfoolery and some serious double IPA action. I'm mixing it right now then making the discs so I should be submitting this for release next week.

Back
Top Bottom