• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

UPDATE

FINAL REVISIONS are RENDERED and converted.

Uber size and hi bit rate mp4s should be ready tomorrow.

NEW DESIGNATIONS ARE:

Don Vito's Opus v6.05
Michael's Opus 8.03

This applies to MP4s and UBER sized files.

There are no revisions to the Purist Versions.

Please message me accordingly ...if you are a newbie, please confirm you own the underlying material upfront, it will save time...(you old timers already know that).

Here are a couple of 4 way comparisons of a few additional revisions...

The main listings have also been updated to reflect the changes.

The meat and potatoes is about half way thru the 3 mins...
This might get pulled in 30 days...usual BS.

I do not anticipate any further revisions.

THESE ARE LOCKED ….
I may tackle the Extended Theatricals next year…but I have a 40 year planned project in my sights…so it could be a while.

Thanks to all who have followed, encouraged, critiqued and cajoled me to add, refine and brought material to my attention. You are all marvellous indeed.

This project was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Best
W

Last edited:
FULL FINAL DESIGNATIONS & Run Times

MAGNUM OPUS (My Preferred) - MP4 (15gb) and UBER size (50GB)
Don Vito's Opus v6.05
RT 4:39:37
Michael's Opus 8.03
RT 5:23:35

PURIST VERSIONS (No Changes and no updates) MP4 (15gb) and UBER size (50GB)
Don Vito's Opus Purist v6.01p (no change)
RT 04:39:11
OPUS 2: Michael's Opus Purist v8.01p (no change)
RT 5:22:42

For the Avoidance of doubt, There is no 6.02, 6.03 or 6.04, NOR 8.02. Those designations were used for interim versions for testing which are archived just in case I should need to back track to certain points...I'm sure you fellow editors know EXACTLY what I am blathering on about...and why one would save an interim incomplete version...

UBERs are still loading...MP4s are ready.

UPDATE (LAMENTABLY)

The very eagle eye @tylrsmmrs spotted some minor issues in both edits.

DON VITO'S OPUS
  • A glipse of the AMC logo at 0:27:00
  • two grammatical errors in the subtitles (“thank-you” in lieu of “thank you”)

MICHAEL'S OPUS
  • The scene where Pentangeli speaks to Anthony follows the dinner table scene where Kay asks him how his chat with Anthony went. A clear continuity error we all have missed (except @tylrsmmrs) . This error is present in The Godfather Epic 1901-1959 as well.

Additionally, I spotted a flash frame in Don Vito's Opus.

These issues are now all resolved.

The Pentangeli issue does not occur in the Theatrical cut due to Kay's question being removed. In order to retain the max length, the scene has been relocated to AFTER the Senator chat but BEFOR the dinner.

So to all who have Don Vito's Opus v6.05 and Michael's Opus 8.03
there will be a 6.06 and 8.04....those of you that have messaged me will be able to use the same information 6.06 and 8.04. I will post when they are ready.

By way of an apology, I brought forward and have completed the updating of Hal_over_9000's The Godfather Extended and am working on The Godfather Part II Extended which will both feature ALL off the tweaks and fixes from the Magnum Opus.

Part II will take longer AND there is a question I need to ask all of you.

If I retain the CORRECT version and positioning of MIchael Putting Anthony to bed BEFOR the shooting, the cross fade to Young Vito will occur BEFORE the shooting. I dislike the looped dialogue of that scene, but that would be the price of retaining the correct dialogue and location....

Clearly, the scene was moved to after the shooting to heighten our feelings ahead of the juxtaposed cross fade to young Vito looking over baby Feddo…. Relocating it would also mean coming back to Michael immediately before the shooting… that may play quite poorly and upset the balance of these scenes…I’m tending to gravitate to not moving the original placement…

Let me know your views on this.

Finally,again, apologies for the inconvenience.
W

Last edited:
UPDATE (LAMENTABLY)

The very eagle eye @tylrsmmrs spotted some minor issues in both edits.

DON VITO'S OPUS
  • A glipse of the AMC logo at 0:27:00
  • two grammatical errors in the subtitles (“thank-you” in lieu of “thank you”)

MICHAEL'S OPUS
  • The scene where Pentangeli speaks to Anthony follows the dinner table scene where Kay asks him how his chat with Anthony went. A clear continuity error we all have missed (except @tylrsmmrs) . This error is present in The Godfather Epic 1901-1959 as well.

Additionally, I spotted a flash frame in Don Vito's Opus.

These issues are now all resolved.

The Pentangeli issue does not occur in the Theatrical cut due to Kay's question being removed. In order to retain the max length, the scene has been relocated to AFTER the Senator chat but BEFOR the dinner.

So to all who have Don Vito's Opus v6.05 and Michael's Opus 8.03
there will be a 6.06 and 8.04....those of you that have messaged me will be able to use the same information 6.06 and 8.04. I will post when they are ready.

By way of an apology, I brought forward and have completed the updating of Hal_over_9000's The Godfather Extended and am working on The Godfather Part II Extended which will both feature ALL off the tweaks and fixes from the Magnum Opus.

Part II will take longer AND there is a question I need to ask all of you.

If I retain the CORRECT version and positioning of MIchael Putting Anthony to bed BEFOR the shooting, the cross fade to Young Vito will occur BEFORE the shooting. I dislike the looped dialogue of that scene, but that would be the price of retaining the correct dialogue and location....

Clearly, the scene was moved to after the shooting to heighten our feelings ahead of the juxtaposed cross fade to young Vito looking over baby Michael…. Relocating it would also mean coming back to Michael immediately before the shooting… that may play quite poorly and upset the balance of these scenes…I’m tending to gravitate to not moving the original placement…

Let me know your views on this.

Finally,again, apologies for the inconvenience.
W
For the P2ext, I suggest keeping the Anthony-bed scene where it was placed in P2Theatrical. It just works well with the cross fade to Young Vito look at Fredo in the crib.

Last edited:
For the P2ext, I suggest keeping the Anthony-bed scene where is was placed in P2Theatrical. It just works well with the cross fade to Young Vito look at Fredo in the crib.
I agree, this is an extended version and should simply add footage to the original theatrical release, while preserving its structure. If you start shifting stuff around, you're moving it into Fanedit Fixes territory. No need, as you've already accomplished that (quite superlatively) with your chronological edit.

I agree, this is an extended version and should simply add footage to the original theatrical release, while preserving its structure. If you start shifting stuff around, you're moving it into Fanedit Fixes territory. No need, as you've already accomplished that (quite superlatively) with your chronological edit.
This is also what I am thinking...EXPAND on the original structure means JUST that...

There will be only one version of each, adhering to the theatrical structure for both.

All Magnum Opus changes which do not interfere with the structure will be retained. I will list any that are dropped or modified to adhere to this, once completed.

Last edited:
This is also what I am thinking...EXPAND on the original structure means JUST that...

There will be only one version of each, adhering to the theatrical structure for both.

All Magnum Opus changes which do not interfere with the structure will be retained. I will list any that are dropped or modified to adhere to this, once completed.
I still think fixing the Pantangelli/Anthony continuity error makes sense.

I still think fixing the Pantangelli/Anthony continuity error makes sense.
That new fix will be retained in the Extended versions to facilitate the longer dinner scene and KAys comments....none of it impacts the Extended structure.

I have moved it to AFTER the senator meeting but before the dinner...the shots between the SENATOR and DINNER are 4 shots...The group round the fire, then 3 shots of dancing and the band. The section is long enough so that we now get

FIRESIDE
LONG SHOT PIER LIGHTS
PENTANGELI
THE OTHER 2 SHOTS,
The Dinner....

The music is long enough to mask BOTH transitions IN and OUT...It is very smooth.

Thanks again to @tylrsmmrs

Last edited:
UPDATE

Since I am now finalising Michael's Opus 8.04, I am also replacing shots of Connie tending to an aging Michael in the new pre-Intermission montage (previously included in 8.03) with a better source for all the shots since these shots suffered from some interlacing issues. There are now no shots with these issues at all in the Magnum Opus.

I have so many versions of these films and sagas etc. that keeping track of them is a feat in itself....fortunately I have located the best source for those shots and the previously newly created montage will now also be fully rebuilt and as good as it can be.

This Michael's Opus 8.04 will also now include two NEW ADDITIONAL shots from the AMC re-caps, pointed out by @tony.montana79.

I couldn't figure out how to include them, especially the one in the car (where Michael is wearing a hat from the lost section when he is Empire building and shoots out the pizzeria) has no context... HOWEVER... since it is a contemplative shot...VOILA...clip to follow later while I fine tune it all.

I will then move onto the Godfather Part 2 Extended, which will be a clean rebuild incorporating all the tweaks made to MIchael's Opus with a few being ommited to adhere to the theatrical structure while still being exteneded. I will list those for you all once completed.

Last edited:
UPDATES:

Good news and bad news.

Bad news

I’m re- rendering Don Vito and Michael’s Opus yet again…

On Vito, I forgot to remove a previous overlay of 2 secs….

Good news

On Michael, @tony.montana79 found 4 new shots of middle aged Michael contemplating from an alternate intro to part 3 of AMCs version in HD which I had not seen and is NOT on the part 3 intro I have.

These shots also solve a problem I had with the revised montage you all have NOT seen. I was short of contemplative shots to make it work how I envisaged. When I added in the two previously noted new shots, the balance was lost. These newer shots resolve this…so it is worth rerendering since I ain’t coming back to do this again (he claimed naively)…

More good news…The Godfather Extended has been rendered and Part II extended is in mid build.

The end is in sight.

For those that would like to see the plethora of new shots in the extended flashback at what is the pre intermission ending of Part II in Michael’s Opus…. Here it is…(and I plan to retain this for the extended version of Part II since it sets up La Fine IMHO).

Enjoy

UPDATE

Having prepared a huge final update following the loading of the newly rendered 6.06 and 8.04 I’ve stumbled across a bad audio transition while rebuilding GF Part II Extended (G2X). This music issue error is in the AMC version and Hal’s edit of Part II and a lazy porting by me which means it is also in Michael’s Opus in all previous versions.

No one has picked up on it, or at least if they have, have not noted it to me or in any review.

Since I now can’t un-hear it, I have fixed it in the G2X rebuild but it means i must also fix it in Michael’s Opus as well.

This hopefully should be a one off. I will hold if re-re-re-ReRendering Michael’s Opus 8.04 until G2X is completed just in case there are other issues.

Fortunately, G1X was without any issues and both it and Don Vito’s Opus 6.06 are completed.

My next update will include a full list of all final changes to all edits and a list of additional changes to the Extended versions as well.

For the purists out there, the extended version of Part II will retain all the theatrical version transitions unless any can be improved on. As such, there will be only one version of each.

Stay tuned folks!...I will post a comparison so you can all see and hear!

Last edited:
SO....

Here is the AMC version (and also in Hal's) error followed by the fix...the price paid is that 3 secs of dancing are lost...but this needs to be PERFECT!.

Listen to the music just as Fredo's wife says "how come you're so ..."...those four bars of music are repeated in the jump cut to the dance. Fortunately they are the same four bars and the dancing shot is long enough that it survives the trim...by also clawing back 1 sec of Fredo, which is removed to make it all work seamlessly....

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Last edited:
SO....

Here is the AMC (and also in Jal's) error followed by the fix...the price paid is that 3 secs of dancing are lost...but this needs to be PERFECT!.

Listen to the music just as Fredo's wife says "how come you're so ..."...those four bars of music are repeated in the jump cut to the dance. Fortunately they are the same four bars and the dancing shot is long enough that it survives the trim...by also clawing back 1 sec of Fredo, which is removed to make it all work seamlessly....

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Maybe retain the full dancing sequence for Michael's Opus but use the fix for P2Ext?

Maybe retain the full dancing sequence for Michael's Opus but use the fix for P2Ext?
CAn't be retained without eating into the parkig lot and the sonics there are completely different ...so I'm afraid we loose 3secs...the audio on this one drives the scene...I tried repeating the refrain, but it is a finale section of music and though I did manage a perfect extension, it sounds musically off kilter once you know...the musical dissonance is there if I try to blend...

Gonna have to trust me on this one folks...

CAn't be retained without eating into the parkig lot and the sonics there are completely different ...so I'm afraid we loose 3secs...the audio on this one drives the scene...I tried repeating the refrain, but it is a finale section of music and though I did manage a perfect extension, it sounds musically off kilter once you know...the musical dissonance is there if I try to blend...

Gonna have to trust me on this one folks...
In Wraith We Trust

ANOTHER FIX

As many of you already know, I reinstated the original dialogue and position of Anthony’s bedtime (see earlier in the thread newbies).

Now, while rebuilding this section, I’m reverting to the theatrical version and structure…but keeping Fabrizio's death relocated.

There has also been the nagging issue of where the deleted Michael Pier and dog scene (which Michael’s Opus opened with rather than where Hal located it) as to where if anywhere to place the scene. ENTER another eagle eyed fan ....

@tony.montana79 has the solution since he checked the book (ya'll know there is a book... :) )

The scene occurs after Fabizio's death which will remain relocated and would follow with a hard cut to Kay and Michael dancing (in the Opus there was a crossfade thru black). Now, with the reinstatement of the theatrical order I can do a long cross fade to Michael on the pier dock from the smouldering wreckage…and then to the dancing…it’s perfect, Michael is wearing the same clothes and to boot now matches the book and original screenplay! All i had to do was rebuild all the audio...(dog barking etc).

For Michael's Opus, the scene will remain where I placed it to prevent an abrupt opening on the communion (as intended).

See for yourselves...same suit!

Back
Top Bottom