• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

CODA:

It’s all ok folks…no new discoveries…well…sorta.

I decided to watch the Theatrical version of The Godfather Part 3, 2hr 42 min, and was struck by something I had missed… so I then checked the 1991 cut (2hr 50min) and sure enough …there it was.

Some of you may recall earlier in this thread I went to great lengths to correct an awful continuity issue in Part 3 where an establishing shot of St Michael’s in NY is used prio to Michael’s meeting with the Archbishop…the shot trying to imply they are in NY when the room the meeting is held in is in The Vatican as we later see.

Anyway, as you know, I corrected all that. What I had missed however was that that shot error was NOT in the Theatrical cut . Further, it’s is repeated again in Coda (2h37min)…
Appalling!

What is worse, is the butchered ending of Coda… I mean, the awful cross fade of Cavalieri Rusticana is such a well known piece…to hear it so butchered, when they have the assets, is just plain indefensible. Let alone the visuals being cut too.

Any editor on this site would have not produced such a hamfisted execution. Worse still is that caption at the end….

Seriously…it’s like a cheap TV movie “when a Sicilian wishes you cent anni, they are wishing you a long life. A Sicilian never forgets”

Huh?!!?!

It’s just odd. Quotes and captions like that are not used anywhere in the trilogy of films….it’s called The Death of Michael Corlene, and we don’t see him die, and only that he (or some other Sicilian) won’t forget.

Dire

Someone please explain to me how Coda is an improvement…?

And to think I have it in 4K!

Rant over.
Agreed completely on Coda. It’s a travesty. Makes me pessimistic about any future official release. And to think that Coda is now the “definitive” edit of P3 — what a joke! The true definitive cut is your La Fine.

This 23-page thread of Wraith's journey researching, building, and fixing the most perfect chronological version of GF possible is a joy to behold. Thanks for sharing ALL this.
R

This 23-page thread of Wraith's journey researching, building, and fixing the most perfect chronological version of GF possible is a joy to behold. Thanks for sharing ALL this.
R
A joy to behold is right! #WraithForPresident

BREAKING NEWS
I've got more to come....

I have finally been re-watching VERY CAREFULLY all the extras from the 2007 Coppola Restoration and the new extras from the 4K release....and there are many many observations that I want to share with you.

The short version is...THE 4K RESTORATION is a fiction. The release is JUST about cash...nothing else.

I'll explain why in detail once I have compiled my notes.....

STAY TUNED FOLKS!!!!

BREAKING NEWS
I've got more to come....

I have finally been re-watching VERY CAREFULLY all the extras from the 2007 Coppola Restoration and the new extras from the 4K release....and there are many many observations that I want to share with you.

The short version is...THE 4K RESTORATION is a fiction. The release is JUST about cash...nothing else.

I'll explain why in detail once I have compiled my notes.....

STAY TUNED FOLKS!!!!
You have us on the edge of our seats!

You have us on the edge of our seats!
I'm going to make a video instead of just rambling away....so it will be a while.

Short version, is that the original neg is shot...basically lost. In 2007 they assembled a new "negative" from myriad sources from all over the world...that is NOT stated in the new 4K extras...in fact (but it is stated clearly in 2007)...so what we get is a puff piece in 2022 IMHO. Robert Harris was initially engaged for the 2022, and then in fact he appears to play no part going forward. WHY?

...not much came from the original neg, that much is certain. Lots came from the YCM seperation elements etc. Plus in 2007, they did a 4K scan!!!!!!!! That is the basis of the 2022. There is no mention of a rescan of the full reassembled Negtive from 2007. The new elements they found were few, and the new fonts used do not even match the original...again, I will show you. I went to EXTREME lengths to match fonts perfectly, even hand isolating individual letters to create a font library that was authentic...hence the new titles, subtitles and captions being perfect. The 2022 falls far short. The captions had a drop shadow from 2007 back to the 70s. The new captions are outlined in black, but no drop shadow. HACKS!

In 2007 they go to great lengths to explain the "4 parts yellow, 1 part red" color grade and how you cant brighten up the neg coz of how it was shot...then in 2022, they do just that and trash the "yellow patina"...and more...

I also compared their side by side comparisons and then did the comparisons myself...and they do not look the same. There is a sleight of hand at work here to SELL the 4K...

The evidence is in the xtras, the actual material and TRUE comparisons....so I will do a video to show all this...as the addage goes "show, don't tell".

Last edited:
1671538390696-png.3104

Disgraceful lack of attention to detail IMHO!

I mean just look at the "o"s...completely different shape...and the "1958"....a mess...that "5" is completely diferent....etc.

Left letter, 2007 and back to 70s, Right letter 2022...call me OCD....sure...
1671541250256-png.3105

Just look at that T!!!! Just lazy.

The serifs are angled in the 2022 and vertical in the 2007.

The proportions on the G S and A are completely off…

And the 5 smacks of “make do”…

Since the Theatrical version of Part 3 has only now become available for the first time on home media in th 4K box set (even the vhs was the Director Cut) and I can’t final any comparison online…I will be undertaking that as well. As I noted, the continuity error of the establishing shots of the church vs Vatican are not present in the theatrical presentation. One never knows what one may find.

Since the Theatrical version of Part 3 has only now become available for the first time on home media in th 4K box set (even the vhs was the Director Cut) and I can’t final any comparison online…I will be undertaking that as well. As I noted, the continuity error of the establishing shots of the church vs Vatican are not present in the theatrical presentation. One never knows what one may find.
So thrilled to see you re-engaged in Godfather World!

I see that I will be making an update to La Fine and MIchael's Opus....in 2023 at some point....

Very helpful indeed
Thanks

What will be updated in La Fine and Michael's Opus?
POssibly some of the dialogue noted above, the extra news pages from the Vatican Pope elections, KAy's reaction shots....

I will need to watch these for myself before making any final decision.

Last edited:
There are already a few scenes which use alternate takes in the Magnum Opus vs the Extended versions notably Young Vito entering the theatre, the street walk and Anthony’s bedtime.

Where the differences for Are additive, they will be added. Where they are alternative…then the DC will prevail unless the differences compel otherwise.

There are already a few scenes which use alternate takes in the Magnum Opus vs the Extended versions notably Young Vito entering the theatre, the street walk and Anthony’s bedtime.

Where the differences for Are additive, they will be added. Where they are alternative…then the DC will prevail unless the differences compel otherwise.
What footage from the 4K release would supplement the alternate takes using in Wraith MO and Ext?

What I meant is that the existing MO and Ext are not quite identical, notwithstanding the sequencing….

Back
Top Bottom