• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

UPDATE

A viewer spotted an errant glitch that crept into GF1 v3.01o.

Apologies
An errant audio source appeared in the timeline for an unknown reason.

I am re-rendering and will update to 4.01.
Full details will follow when all the files are re-rendered and loaded.

I have reached out to all who had v3.01o an advised accordingly.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
W

Last edited:
UPDATE

A viewer spotted an errant glitch that crept into GF1 v3.01o.

Apologies
An errant audio source appeared in the timeline for an unknown reason.

I am re-rendering and will update to 4.01.
Full details will follow when all the files are re-rendered and loaded.

I have reached out to all who had v3.01o an advised accordingly.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
W
Will 4.01 include the audio you've discovered from when Sonny destroys the reporter's camera?

Yup… all recent revisions and discoveries will be there in FULL!

Just to say a quick hello, and now that I've caught up with my re-education on this site and the GF cuts, I am BLOWN AWAY at what you all are doing. Congrats on the restoration job. I stumbled on this while looking to see if anyone had the Saga, and now I see it's WAY beyond that. Is there a process to get access to the edits? Like I mentioned in my intro post. I'm new to the site. Also in the film/tv industry my whole life, so maybe I have something to contribute. Not sure how this works! Only fan-edit I've seen was Harmy's. Take care and if someone would be so kind to let me know what the protocol is. C

Just to say a quick hello, and now that I've caught up with my re-education on this site and the GF cuts, I am BLOWN AWAY at what you all are doing. Congrats on the restoration job. I stumbled on this while looking to see if anyone had the Saga, and now I see it's WAY beyond that. Is there a process to get access to the edits? Like I mentioned in my intro post. I'm new to the site. Also in the film/tv industry my whole life, so maybe I have something to contribute. Not sure how this works! Only fan-edit I've seen was Harmy's. Take care and if someone would be so kind to let me know what the protocol is. C
Send him a PM. Wraith is the best Godfather fan editor, period. He is a master and the utmost authority. His “Magnum Opuses” are the definitive of the chronological cuts. His forthcoming extended edits of Part I and Part II will most certainly become the definitive cuts of the theatrical, non-chronological releases.

Send him a PM. Wraith is the best Godfather fan editor, period. He is a master and the utmost authority. His “Magnum Opuses” are the definitive of the chronological cuts. His forthcoming extended edits of Part I and Part II will most certainly become the definitive cuts of the theatrical, non-chronological releases.
Thank you -- and done! Have a great evening!!

UPDATE

I just read this article by the Master Restorer Robert A Harris.

It appears that there are newly located missing shots of Sterling Hayden and more in the new restoration including locating the stock material used for the Vegas transition, which may have been fixed.

The article also goes into meticulous detail about the state of the negative and it’s disastrous treatment….

You can read it here… and weep…but also rejoice on new finds.
"We had worked extensively trying to find missing negative of the restaurant assassination sequence and came away almost complete. In that sequence, the latest work adds more shots of Sterling Hayden".

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-the-godfathers-in-4k-uhd/

As a result, I will complete the current updates and await the discs.

I’ll do a full shot for shot comparison at some point and report back. At some point and depending on the outcome of that analysis, I’ll decide what to do next.

So this revision will be ready soon.

Updating Hal_over_9000’s extended will be on hold until we know the full extent of new material we may have.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I just read this article by the Master Restorer Robert A Harris.

It appears that there are newly located missing shots of Sterling Hayden and more in the new restoration including locating the stock material used for the Vegas transition, which may have been fixed.

The article also goes into meticulous detail about the state of the negative and it’s disastrous treatment….

You can read it here… and weep…but also rejoice on new finds.
"We had worked extensively trying to find missing negative of the restaurant assassination sequence and came away almost complete. In that sequence, the latest work adds more shots of Sterling Hayden".

As a result, I will complete the current updates and await the discs.

I’ll do a full shot for shot comparison at some point and report back. At some point and depending on the outcome of that analysis, I’ll decide what to do next.

So this revision will be ready soon.

Updating Hal_over_9000’s extended will be on hold until we know the full extent of new material we may have.
Fantastic! Does this (you using the 4K blu ray for a part of the edit) revive the possibility of you maybe using a HD rip of the 4K blu ray as a new source for most of the edit? (I say HD rip because 4K files probably would be enormous?) That new color correction just looks so great, and that last HD restoration with a yellow tone can be a bit soft in some scenes. Just when you thought you were out…..

Yup…keeps happening….
A complete rebuild from the new Blu ray is nit out if the question. La Fine is a part 3 build using Coda as the source and reinstating the deletions with color correction. This is very likely but may take me a while to get to due to RL …
Also 4k I feel is too video like on a domestic screen… fine for a true cinema…so nit a file size issue for me just aesthetically harsh for home…

Does anyone know how the remastered 2020 P3/Coda Blu-ray differs from the 2008 P3 Coppola Restoration Blu-ray?

Yup…keeps happening….
A complete rebuild from the new Blu ray is nit out if the question. La Fine is a part 3 build using Coda as the source and reinstating the deletions with color correction. This is very likely but may take me a while to get to due to RL …
Also 4k I feel is too video like on a domestic screen… fine for a true cinema…so nit a file size issue for me just aesthetically harsh for home…
I can definitely see your point, but personally I think that’s only true for digital 4K, not films scanned in 4K with minimal DNR. With grain and solid cinematography and use of color, I think it would be perfect. We could find something to do with the deleted scenes too, matching the color would do a lot alone. I have faith.

Does anyone know how the remastered 2020 P3/Coda Blu-ray differs from the 2008 P3 Coppola Restoration Blu-ray?
And to clarify, I know CODA has been slightly re-edited. My question involves the remastering. If they remastered P3/Coda in 2020, what will be different in the upcoming 2022 4K remaster?

Last edited:
They could start by placing the opening in The Vatican for sure and not implying it's in NY for starters....then again, I have corrected that. At least they got rid of that awful green hue

And to clarify, I know CODA has been slightly re-edited. My question involves the remastering. If they remastered P3/Coda in 2020, what will be different in the upcoming 2022 4K remaster?
After my analysis, I’ll let you all know what’s different for all 3 movies. Here’s hoping the deleted scenes have been cleaned up. I suspect they may have been cleaned up for future rebuild of The novel for TV but that those assets will not be on this new 4 k set…

UPDATE
Below are the full consolidated and final revisions prior to analysing the new 4K release.
The Magnum Opus is now back up in UBER SIZE and Hi Bit Rate MP4.
UBER SIZE will be withdrawn permanently on March 13th to make room for the PURIST UBER files for 1 week.

MAGNUM OPUS
Don Vito's Opus - Updated v4.01
RT 04:39:25

• The Long shot of young Vito walking away from camera after being offered food has been regraded
  • The oar clubbing scene on the lake has been restored in HD to its full length with an additional quiet music cue (to facilitate audio smoothing) foreshadowing Fredo's fate with additional subtitles added that were missing
  • 1:22:07 - "Corleone Compound, Long Island, New York, 1945" is reduced to "Long Island, New York, 1945". The caption has been retimed to the end of the establishing shot.
  • The missing dialogue after Sonny smashes the reporter's camera was found on a 1980 VHS recording from a an NBC telecast of the novel for TV. The audio has been cleaned up and placed where it was intended.
  • The Centanni dialogue has been restored to the wedding
  • An additional shot of Michael turning away from Kay to look at the wedding party has been added (not available in any other version and in HD)
  • 2:22:30ish an audio issue was corrected. This was a Sonny and Michael dialogue glitch where an errant audio file appeared and was not noticed.
  • 2:23:25 - The shot of the Corleone Compound at night was missing. HD footage of this does exists and has been added.
  • 2:26:35-2:26:39 - The the full shot of Clemenza and Rocco walking down the driveway, which was in place, led to the audio of the boys playing being noticeably repeated (a lazy error on my part). If you listen to the end of the scene where Rocco is told to kill Paulie, you can hear that the audio plays at the end of that scene, and then again as they walk down the drive. This issue has been resolved while retaining the full length HD shot by re-building the audio judiciously.
  • 3:08:35 - There was a flashframe in the hard cut from Vito to the men descending the staircase. This has been resolved.
  • Subtitles re-done when Michael sees the protestors. Some were mispositioned and timing has been significantly improved.
  • End Credits have been further polished
  • THANKS caption has been updated.
  • Run time difference, plus 8 secs
Michael's Opus - Updated v6.01
RT 05:22:38

• 03:26 - Corrected date, should be 1958 not 1957
  • 1:43:13-1:43:18 - As the hearings opened, I had repurposed some shots to maximise the includion of audio which is not in many versions. This use of shots was NOT an ideal result so per SonnyGFunk's suggestion, the scene starts on the black screen with audio playing from the beginning of the hearing. We do not hear Michael's hushed response of "New York City" due to the audio containing music from the crossfade from the flashback in the source material (The Novel for TV), however, the response of "Would you mind speaking up please" and then Michael's answer of "New York City" is retained. It then fades in to the closeup of Michael as he is asked "are you the son of Vito Corleone". Important to note that Michael's face is now on screen as he is asked the question instead of an out of place repurposed shot that was used previously.
  • 2:20:41 - The shot of Kay's taxi waiting was missing. HD footage of this does exist and has been added.
  • Aspect ratio corerction for Part 3 which now conforms to the full image and marginally wider than the first hhalf of the edit. Since this is post intermission, it will not be distracting.
  • End Credits have been further polished
  • THANKS caption has been added using the Opus 1 updated version.
  • Run time difference, plus 12 secs
PURISTS EDITS (to follow on March 13)
These will be loaded next weekend when the above UBER SIZE files are withdrawn permanently on March 13th.
All of the above changes are included unless noted*
The below changes are unique to the PURIST versions.

OPUS 1- Don Vito's Opus Purist v4.01p
RT 04:39:11

The Sicily opening caption has been has been reinstated​
CAPTIONS REMOVED (previously added to Magnum Opus) as follows:​
  • 02:56 - Corleone, Sicily, 1901.
  • 03:31 - The Funeral of Antonio Andolini.
  • 1:22:07 - Corleone Compound, Long Island, New York, 1945.
OTHER CHANGES​
Restored original Vegas Transtion (which is not my preference), removing replacement material.​
This may have been fixed in the forthcoming 4K release according to Robert A Harris the material was lifted froim a VistaVision print of a "Martin and Lewis" movie. This means I have the movie, so if they have not fixed it, I will.​

OMMITED​
*The restored oar clubbing scene since the additional music cue is not canon, so the theatrical version remains.​
  • Run time difference, less 14 secs

OPUS 2: Michael's Opus Purist v7.01p (6.01p was abandoned due to nomenclature clash)
RT 05:22:54

Restored original music to opening shot of Michael on pier in full.​
Restored original shot of Communion with new transition with full audio.​
Restored the original sequencing of events when Michael speaks to Pentangeli and the action cuts to the car bomb and then Michael's bedtime scene in its already corrected location with recovered orginal dialogue with associted audio rebuild.​
CAPTIONS​
  • Removed "His Grandson" caption from opening shot of Communion but retain "Lake Tahoe, Nevada " caption from an alternate source in HD.
  • Removed 03:26 (PT2) "Lake Tahoe, Nevada" over MIchael on the pier (Added for Magnum Opus).
  • Removed 03:57 (PT2) "The day of Anthony Vito Corleone's first holy communion" (Added for Magnum Opus).
OTHER CHANGES​
  • Removed "in memoriam" montage that was created for Novel for TV but retained Kay lighting the candles.
  • End credits reformatted to accomodate the removal of the "in memoriam" sequence with the scoring slightly extended to fit. The Full closing music cue from Part II is retained, but has an inserted additional section to accomodate the longer running time of the credits.
  • Run time difference, plus 16 secs.
DM/PM me acordingly.

Thank-you all for your patience and support.
W

Last edited:
Nah, I think I'll wait for version 4.02 and 7.02.

Seriously, though, thank you for your meticulous work on this!

Back
Top Bottom