• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

Love it. (Although I haven’t seen the Sopranos yet). Will change that eventually.
Then I won't post the next clip...since it would spoil other such refs...and that would not be nice of me.

ALL..Please "DON" T post that clip

Last edited:
TECHNICAL POINT

A reviewer pointed out some aspect ratio changes in the material from The Godfather Part 3, as used in Michael's Opus.

This arose as a result of the CODA and THEATRICAL versions on blu ray having differing aspect ratios. The difference is quite small, and wth many TVs overscanning by 5-10%, most people will not see that difference since the image will fill the screen. However, the differences remain.

When I made the edit I had the choice to either crop one source OR zoom into the other source and thus FILL the screen. either choice would have led to either a loss of visual information or slight drop in quality (which would have impacted 80% of Part 3 material). As such I chose to NOT adjust for this given that the object of the exercise was to include ALL available HD material and to do so without compromising on the visual quality (apart from all the other things that were done to pull this together).

If anyone feels strongly about my changing this, I can do so, but there will be a trade off in the picture. I personally do not think it merits changing but if there is an avalanche of demand to do so, I will.

UBER file update to follow.

Deep Dive 2

So, having obtained an alleged HD copy of the Godfather Epic and the Dynasty edit by Venturo, some initial observations.

Epic may be a fan edit reconstruction of that version in HD and does have the deleted material, so far. There are some odd transitions and hard cuts I’ve not seen before, but no new material so far.

The Dynasty edit, is so far missing deleted scenes and many shots in the first 20 min are a few frames shirts here and there. It appears to be built from the Theatrical versions so far.

I’m comparing these using my 4 way comparison, each edit taking up a quarter of the screen, and then chopping and resyncing every time a version slips. The other two edits in the timeline are Magnum Opus (which we all know is complete…so far) and the VHS open matt Trilogy..

Again, I wish all the others had the color grade of the VHS which is natural and vibrant, especially for blues and yellows. The green cast that was applied in later years (but removed for Coda) is awful, but there you go.

I’m 30 mins in so far...I shall post some video comparisons to illustrate.
I don't want to miss the possibility of a GEM hidden within, so I will be on this for a few days...(JUST IN CASE)!

It is a mindless easy task, YET, strangely satisfying...
Does anyone else feel that way when comparing versions and sources? (I think I'm a lost cause frankly)

Last edited:
Opening comparison of Magnum Opus, VHS Trilogy, Epic HD (new) and Dynasty (new)

Note Magnum Opus is stable captions (made from scratch you will recall)

https://vimeo.com/647490081

FILM 1: Don Vito's Opus SPECIAL EDITION

For a limited time this will be available in UBER size with the ORIGINAL VEGAS MONTAGE TRANSITION after which ONLY the New Transition version I made will be the only one.

PM me accordingly.

REVISIONS:

Magnum Opus Film 1 and Film 2 have both had minor revisions.

The Godfather Don Vito's Opus:
Few if any faneditors will cater to requests to "can you please trim this" or "can you please add that"?

As many of you who followed this thread and have watched these already, one change I made was to the opening shot of the Las Vegas montage intro shots that form part of this edit. The opening shot was fraught with issues in the original theatrical version, which I wont repeat here since they're covered in detail earlier in this thread.

A few reviewers pointed out that they noted than some of the vehicles were not in production at the time the movie is set. I already was aware of this since the material was taken from HD Vegas Strip footage from the 60s, but many of the vehicles were appropriate. It was a necessary compromise IMHO to remove an awful stock shot and poor transition etc. The new shot is still nevertheless era appropriate and out by less than a decade, so the film stock and marquees were all a good match.

I have nevertheless re-rendered this edit with the original FLAWED Theatrical version Vegas transition.
Both versions will be available ( a bit like the mothership issue in Close Encounter in which I have also made two versions available).

I have also added the new Fanedit logo book ending the edit.

The Godfather Michael's Opus:
Two issues with this edit.

Inexplicably, there is a 6 sec segment that was noted in a review that is in SD, when Michael asks Santino Jr how his football is going. This material is not available in HD anywhere, but I used the same trick as below, to retain the audio, and this is now in HD for the first time. I don't quite know how I missed this...apologies.

A couple of reviewers noted an aspect ration change in the material derived from The Godfather Part 3. This was due to material from Coda having a slightly wider aspect by about 2% that the rest of the movies, all shot at effectively 1.85:1 Coda, for some reason , is about 1.9:1 giving a very thin black band at the top of the image. Whatever Coppola's reasons, I retained all the original aspect ration since they were "original". However, there are several minutes of material which I restored to Coda/La Fine, including never seen extended dialogue from Part 3 which was only available as a poor SD extra on an earlier release. I repurposed HD material to retain the audio, so now it is in HD for the first time anywhere AND of course, I corrected a number of continuity errors (for the benefit of new readers go back a few pages).

Since I am re-rendering to correct and retain the corrected first issue, I have also adjusted the aspect ratio for the second POST INTERMISSION portion of this edit so that the distraction (for the few that might notice) will be gone. The compromise is the loss of 2% of the image at the top and bottom for circa 10 minutes of material...I think that is acceptable in the pursuit of perfection.

I have also added the new Fanedit logo book ending the edit. This is your indication that you have the most recent versions.

So, the following will be available soon.

The Godfather Don Vito's Opus: NEW v "2.07 VEGAS" MP4 SIZE Old Vegas Transition (original flawed theatrical version)
The Godfather Don Vito's Opus: NEW v 2.08 High Bit Rate MP4 (original edit version) Original Edit Revised Vegas Transition (existing release) JUST FE LOGO ADDED
The Godfather Don Vito's Opus: NEW v "2.08 VEGAS" High Bit Rate MP4 Old Vegas Transition (original flawed theatrical version) JUST FE LOGO ADDED

The Godfather Michael's Opus: NEW 5.01 4.02C UBER SIZE SD to HD scene correction and aspect ratio correction
The Godfather Michael's Opus: NEW 5.01 4.02C MP4 High Bit Rate SD to HD scene correction and aspect ratio correction

The Godfather Don Vitol's Opus 2.07 and The Godfather Michael's Opus: 3.01 and 4.02C will be withdrawn.
If you already have The Godfather Don Vitol's Opus 2.07, the only difference is the FE Logo, added to match the new render for Michael's Opus.

The UBER versions will be available for only a limited period, basically until I need the space for the next project (which is some months away).

PM me accordingly.

Thanks you all for your continued patience and support.
W

Last edited:
The Godfather Don Vito's Opus: NEW v "2.07 VEGAS" UBER SIZE Old Vegas Transition (original flawed theatrical version) will be removed tomorrow.

See above for files that will be in place from tomorrow. All the archives have been tested prior and are "Stored Zips", thus not compressed further.
I suggest using WINRAR to extract since 7 zip and winzip sometimes do not like these archives, especially if you operate on a MAC.

PM accordingly.

Last edited:
CORRUPT RANDOMNESS:

In the process of creating an update of FILM 2 (The Godfather: Michaels Opus) a completely random asset dropped into the edit, 30 mins away from where I fixed a 6 sec segment (that was in SD and is now HD for the first time).

I have no idea how this occurred.

Only two people had requested the 4.02C update, but I felt everyone should know in case there has been any sharing.

The messed up section was also the most complex in Film 2, namely where an extensive audio rebuild was required in order to restore seamlessly Michaels pre-bedtime dialogue to his son now located PRIOR to the shooting (as evidenced by the additional dialogue delivered to Camera by Pacino). The random asset was in the overlay track and impacted the image and audio. a number of audio files were also deleted impacting the whole transition.

Fortunately, I retain all version SAVES and renders, and was able to use a previous version as a reference and source to rebuild the 90 sec segment identically.

This has rendered overnight as v 5.01 and will be available in UBER and high bit MP4 today. This version also retains the aspect ratio correction for the post intermission section in full. It can be identified by the lower left handside version number in the Paramount logo and also the presence of the FE Logo (not present in pre 4.02C renders.).

I have amended the above post to reflect this as well.

Apols to all, and if anyone can shed ligh on how or why this occurs, it would be great to know.

W

I only recently came across this thread two weeks ago after being in and out of the hospital for the past year.

Your work is astonishing and the amount of detail you've gone into on reassembling these three movies into only what can be a monumental undertaking is outright unbelievable. I know of no other fan editor who has taken the time and sweat equity into researching and acquiring dozens upon dozens of sources of the material to create these chronological edits. Why you aren't working for Criterion or Shout Factory or Studio Canal or any of the other movie preservation companies out there is beyond me. The work you've accomplished over the years here makes what those companies do pale in comparison. You are a true asset to this community. You are, without a doubt, one of the greatest fan editors in this forum and will be remembered for your work on this film.

I look forward to finding and downloading UBER (preferably) or MP4 copies of The Godfather Don Vito's Opus 2.08 and The Godfather Michael's Opus 5.01.

Thank you so much for your passion.

I only recently came across this thread two weeks ago after being in and out of the hospital for the past year.

Your work is astonishing and the amount of detail you've gone into on reassembling these three movies into only what can be a monumental undertaking is outright unbelievable. I know of no other fan editor who has taken the time and sweat equity into researching and acquiring dozens upon dozens of sources of the material to create these chronological edits. Why you aren't working for Criterion or Shout Factory or Studio Canal or any of the other movie preservation companies out there is beyond me. The work you've accomplished over the years here makes what those companies do pale in comparison. You are a true asset to this community. You are, without a doubt, one of the greatest fan editors in this forum and will be remembered for your work on this film.

I look forward to finding and downloading UBER (preferably) or MP4 copies of The Godfather Don Vito's Opus 2.08 and The Godfather Michael's Opus 5.01.

Thank you so much for your passion.
Thank for those extremely generous sentiments.

If our obsessions as a community bring pleasurer to others and hopefully also shine a light on the creative potential that live with in many movies, then we have succeeded. Particularly thanks for taking the time to read through this all.... it can be quite turgid to many. I must say, I did not expect to discover so many little (and some no so little) things hidden away in the material...especially the errors and re-sequencing that became apparent. It was literally "cinematic archaeology"...

I'm half way thru the latest comparison analysis, and so far, no new material...but the dig, continues.

Just to note with ample notice, that the UBER sized files of Don Vito's Opus and Michael's Opus will no longer be available after Feb 28th, 2022 in order to make room for a special project.

They are unlikely to be available again; the MP4 files will remain.

PM me accordingly.

Last edited:
I have today resumed the Comparison of 3 new HD sources for EPIC, and SAGA and the so call Venturo Dynasty Edit (9hrs 4mins) incase there is new material.

Last edited:
This is such a cool idea, thank you for going through the trouble of putting this together!

UPDATE: REVISIONS

I am making some revisions that have come about from some very eagle eyed observations from

Thanks to his/her incredible attention to detail, there will be a number of tweaks made to BOTH Magnum Opus entries.

As you all know, I have already made available a PURIST version of Don Vito's Opus which drops the changes I made to the VEGAS transition. The community seems divided 50:50 on whether I should have tampered with that, despit the awul errors in the original material.

Similarly, I will be also creating TWO NEW VERSIONS of both Edits. These will be PURUSTS CUTS, removing the additional dates I added AND reenstating the opening caption which I removed prior to the funeral procession shooting scene.

I will post what all the tweaks are to the Magnum Opus 1 and 2 once they are completed.

Once done, there will be:
  • 2 Revised versions of Don Vito's and Michael's Opus (correcting errors and dropping in some additional HD material missed)
  • PURISTS versions of Don Vito's and Michael's Opus removing embelishemnts I made BUT retaining all the material etc.
There should be no difference in the run times between the PURIST CUTS and the REVISED MAGNUM OPUS.

Now on to the comparison:
I'm at the 90 minute mark and astonishingly there is an alternate take used of the Nieghbour who asks Young Vito to intervene when she is threatened with eviction. The shot is when Vito's wife is pouring the water for her. Instead of the close up of the glass, a medium shot is used with Vito's back to camera. There is no difference in run time BUT it makes me wonder where the hell this HD material came from. It is not in ANY of the source I used so I am suspecting it may be from a broadcast HD version in an Englsh speaking country NOT USA nor UK...

I actually prefer this shot to the one used i all other versions, since it gives a sense of Vito's rising influence and respect having him in that first shot. I may use it in the non-PURIST version, and leave unchanged in the PURIST.

Any views?

You know, I am fine with the changes you made. They are all small QoL updates that improve the film, and so I’d be fine with the new shot of Vito, and when you have the Uber sizes available, I will PM you. Also, with the upcoming 4K release of Godfather III’s theatrical cut, is there any HD material exclusive to that cut? Because the cheaper 4K set also includes all 3 cuts by Coppola, but I don’t personally know the differences. If there is any additional material, even in the special features, perhaps it would be best to wait on updating and doing all that processing until after that new set comes out in a month-ish?

I probably should have stated, that I am waiting on the 4 K version having ordered the European SKU which includes Blu Ray discs which the US version does not.

The set includes 3 versions of part 3. The one I'm interestes in is the Theatrical Cut which has NEVER been released on home media. There may be a thing or two in there, but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as the special features are concerned, none of the new ones hint at new material and the archive ones are likely to be exactly as prior, unless they drop in the two misiing scenes from the Japanese Laserdisc version of of Saga...and do themin HD (which again seems highly unlikely).

So what I am doing is tweaking known issues, dropping in a couple of HD shots tha got missed (the night scene of the compound after Tom kisses his wife on the steps)...and a couple more.

I'll post what has been done...and then I'll sit and wait as you rightly suggest....

This shot was missing for instance (logo will be removed)

as was this shot (logo again will be removed)

OPEN CALL

Does anyone have the audio from the SD versions of the SAGA VHS where the first part of Nazorine's dialogue plays as they walk back to the wedding after Sonny smashes the reporters camera?

"...a fine boy from Sicily, captured by the American Army, and sent to New Jersey as a prisoner of war..."

This is NOT a new scene but the added dialogue would play as they walk back...
Would be nice to do...

I'm at the 90 minute mark and astonishingly there is an alternate take used of the Nieghbour who asks Young Vito to intervene when she is threatened with eviction. The shot is when Vito's wife is pouring the water for her. Instead of the close up of the glass, a medium shot is used with Vito's back to camera. There is no difference in run time BUT it makes me wonder where the hell this HD material came from. It is not in ANY of the source I used so I am suspecting it may be from a broadcast HD version in an Englsh speaking country NOT USA nor UK...

I actually prefer this shot to the one used i all other versions, since it gives a sense of Vito's rising influence and respect having him in that first shot. I may use it in the non-PURIST version, and leave unchanged in the PURIST.
The shot in question is from the Theatrical version.... Apologies for missing that...it gets quite messy when you are comparing up to 7 sources.....

Back
Top Bottom