• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition

Coming back to the trailer again, I'm pretty happy with it, and I think the zoom out is more akin to the original trailer than the pan-up.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I can use from the original Jaws trailer. It's much simpler and shorter than what I'm going for in that the first part is just a camera going through sea weed, and the second part is just the camera going towards the woman's legs - both of which I've already replicated. 

I'd love my trailer to be a bit more subtle, but footage doesn't allow - and I guess that's in keeping with the film itself! I've made my version as subtle as I can, but at the end of the day, it's not a very subtle film :p

I will address the jagged text for Version 3 though as Dig suggested.

@"theryaney" - you suggested doing my own text and not relying on the posters. Good idea! Would you mind making me a non-text version of the poster for me to use, please?

You could also use stock footage and degrade/match it with what you already have. I used stock ocean footage for my Shipwrecked edit and downgraded it to match my source.

Accidentally deleted the source file for this edit while clearing some space on my hardrive. Just tried to re-create it and click replace, but it was way out of sync (can't work out why). I'll have a proper investigation when I can, but in the meantime:

EJibif3.gif

DigModiFicaTion said:
You could also use stock footage and degrade/match it with what you already have. I used stock ocean footage for my Shipwrecked edit and downgraded it to match my source.

Thanks, Dig. I've had a brief look, but couldn't quite find what I wanted. I'll have a more thorough search once I've sorted out my source file.

The Scribbling Man said:
@"theryaney" - you suggested doing my own text and not relying on the posters. Good idea! Would you mind making me a non-text version of the poster for me to use, please?

Here you go:
artboard-5.png

Got my source file back and did some more work on this today! :)  Was worried that I'd have to start from scratch, but hopefully not too far away from the finish now. I'll also have another look at the trailer soon.

This is done and currently being compressed. My plan is to upload a version that fits inside vimeo's 500mb limit, and also author a DVD which will house both the B+ Edition and the Silent Jaws Edition as a sort of double feature. I may put on a couple of bonuses on there as well (if I have any creative ideas). 

I'm new to DVD authoring, so any tips would be welcome. I did start having a fiddle with menu design using DVD flick earlier. Is it a worthwhile program to be using? Or am I going to regret it later down the line? 

Trailer has not been forgotten, but I've lost the original file and have had to redo some of it. Hopefully it'll surface before the edit itself!  :D

I struggled with DVD Flick (and also DVD Styler, which I couldn't get to work for me) quite a long time ago and the main issue I had was that it seems to become unresponsive quite quickly after you add your video files to the project, possibly due to some memory management issue within the software. It may have improved in recent years, I haven't tried it out since.

These days I use DVD Architect - I have the Studio version that ships with the Movie Studio suite rather than the pro version, but it's a great authoring package and the only limitation I've hit is that it doesn't natively support 5.1 audio tracks (there's a process for working around this, though).

Thanks. I think it may have been dvd styler I was using... I get those two confused.

I haven't had any problems with it so far. Though I'm a little uncertain about "the best way" to do it, if you know what I mean. I assume the program will recompress if the file types aren't right... So should I be giving it my pre-compressed files? My lossless AVIs? Or do I need to convert my AVIs into separate video/audio streams? 

I have considered dvd architect, but I'd rather not spend money unless I definitely need to. I'll see how I go.

Well, I can't get my file for vimeo down to 500mb at a quality I'm happy with, and for some reason my last couple of compressions have been slightly out of sync.

DVD Styler I got to work for me menu-wise, but was disappointed with the quality. So I downloaded a plugin allowing for better results and it just crashes during render (assuming I'm doing it right). I did look at DVD flick, but I think I was put off by the lack of customisation.

It's all very frustrating, but I guess I'll have another look at DVD author. 

I'm not trying to do anything fancy. Just add titles and have the option to choose the image in the menu background. If I can have that and the quality holds up, I'm happy.

Still, maybe I'll need to bite the bullet and purchase some more powerful software.  :-/

It seems the super-cheap Vegas Pro deals are popping up more frequently of late. Keep an eye on this thread from time to time: https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=16116

You might be able to find a great deal online from a third-party seller somewhere. The Pro version of Architect is really great.

I know I said this was done, so apologies for the delay. Its been easier to spend small chunks of time on editing than to sit down for an afternoon and figure how to sort the dvd. And I know that if I release it as just a file, I will procrastinate forever on putting the dvd together. 

I've managed to get dvd styler to work for me without crashing. I can get a nice, simple menu, and the output quality seems ok. But now the audio is missing on the B+ feature, and Silent Jaws is only coming out at half it's runtime.

Ah well... I'll get there!

I know I said this was done, so apologies for the delay. Its been easier to spend small chunks of time on editing than to sit down for an afternoon and figure how to sort the dvd. And I know that if I release it as just a file, I will procrastinate forever on putting the dvd together. 

I've managed to get dvd styler to work for me without crashing. I can get a nice, simple menu, and the output quality seems ok. But now the audio is missing on the B+ feature, and Silent Jaws is only coming out at half it's runtime.

No luck finding a deal for DVD Architect yet, sadly. 

Ah well... I'll get there!

Submitted to IFDB. 

The edit is now available either as a password protected Vimeo stream (link on IFDB page) or as a 582mb MKV (Lossless audio, slightly better visual quality). PM me if you'd like either.

As for the DVD, I've given up on DVD styler. I've started from scratch with a Free Trial for DVD Architect and will hopefully have that sorted soon-ish (just getting my head around the interface). 

Thank you to everyone who has helped with this project, whatever form it's taken. I very much appreciate it, and I hope that all of those interested will enjoy the final product.

Here are the main IFDB page details, if you'd like to see them ahead of time:

silent-jaws-IFDB-poster.png

Tagline
"We're gonna need a bigger budget."

Original Running Time: 80

Fanedit Running Time: 31

Time Cut: 49

Breif Synopsis
This is a Silent Movie edit of “Creature From The Black Lagoon”, scored using John Williams’ “Jaws” soundtrack. It makes even heavier trims to the narrative than my B+ edit, removing a further 20 minutes, resulting in a sort of atmospheric “super-cut”.

Narratively, I’ve gone for a different twist on the prologue, aiming for a similar tone to that of Metropolis. Where possible I have also tried to make dialogue reference notable lines from Jaws. Scene-wise I’ve been more liberal with the cutting, removing whole events and pairing up scenes in order to make my new, shorter narrative fit. 

Intention
When I was doing my B+ edit of Creature From The Black Lagoon, I couldn’t help but notice both visual and musical similarities between it and Jaws. Parts of the film also had a generally Spielbergian flavour to them, so I thought that it would be an interesting and fun experiment to merge the two films into one entity.

After watching TMBTM’s silent edit of Star Wars: Episode VII, I knew that the silent format was perfect for showcasing these similarities – thus “Silent Jaws” was born.

I also wanted to go beyond fan-fixing and do something a bit different – challenge my editing skills. It’s been a fun and challenging process, and I hope to do more fan-mixes in the future.

Editing Details
From the start I used a lossless render of my B+ edit as the source, occasionally using bits from the theatrical cut whenever I needed extra footage.

Old film effects during the prologue were done using BCC’s film damage filter.

Cut list
For a large chunk of the cuts, see the cut-list for my B+ edit of CFTBL. I used that as the basis and then made many more trims in order to make the visuals fit the pace of the music.

The gist:

• Inserted new “silent” inter-titles, using the same font as was used for Fritz Lang’s “Metropolis” (the font is Lilith).
  • Re-scored using Jaws music – occasionally I mashed up a few of the pieces together.
  • Sparingly used some MIDI percussion hits, cymbal swells etc. to help blend/emphasise certain moments better. Some of these samples were just taken from parts of the Jaws soundtrack.
  • Altered dialogue in order to reference lines from Jaws (and a couple of other cheeky references)

Some changes I recall that are unique to the Silent Jaws edit:

• At 3:34 there is a shot of the fossil photograph which fades directly into the fossil itself – in the theatrical/B+ cut, the scene transition is completely different and features a “fish tank” establishing shot.
  • Cut the entire dive sequence in which they take a photo of the creature and skip straight to them planning to drug the water.
  • At around 25 mins is one of the most significant narrative leaps (that I recall). Just after David dives, I used a shot of Mark which actually occurs prior to Davids dive in the theatrical. I did this to avoid the scene where Mark and Dave fight while changing, since I didn’t feel that it added anything to the edit and I didn’t feel that anything in the Jaws score suited the scene.

Special Thanks
Special thanks to ThrowgnCpr, Sinbad and DigModiFicaTion for their feedback during the in-the-works process, as well as to anyone who contributed to the discussion on the thread.

Also special thanks to TheRyaney, DigModiFicaTion and jswert123456 for their combined efforts on the concept and design of the poster art. 

A shout out to TMBTM, who's Silent edit of Star Wars Episode VII heavily inspired me to take this direction with the edit. 

Finally, thanks to my brother for pointing out grammatical errors prior to me finalising the edit for release.

Back
Top Bottom