• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition

Just sat down in front of Jaws with a curry.

Let the inspiration flow.

Tagline ideas:

"Silence is deadly" 

"Underwater, no one can hear you scream" 

"In classic B-movies, everyone can hear you scream"

"Dun-dun....Dun-dun.....Dun-dun-dun-dun-dundundundundundundun!"

"We're going to need a bigger budget" 

Thoughts?

I like the budget one more than  the scream ones, while clever they make me think more of Alien than Jaws.

^^^ Fair noodles.

Started working on a trailer. As much as footage will allow, I'd like to do something that mirrors the original teaser for Jaws:

I might try and do my own voice over. Could be terrible, or could work well - we'll see!

How's this?
Added a custom "FE" rating to the end as well. Not something I'm familiar with doing, so there's probably room for improvement.

I didn't know the font for fanedit.org, so I just picked one that looked decent. If anyone happens to know the correct one then I'll change it.

Awesome Job! You nailed the feeling in aasilent kind of way ;) I wonder if not showing the whole creature would be more suspenseful? I also really like the "Source Ownership Required" on the rating screen.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Awesome Job! You nailed the feeling in aasilent kind of way ;) I wonder if not showing the whole creature would be more suspenseful? I also really like the "Source Ownership Required" on the rating screen.

Yeah, my preference was to not have the creature shown, but I was struggling for lack of footage. I'll see if I can have another go though.

Edit: are there any specific shots you'd recommend removing?

The Scribbling Man said:
Edit: are there any specific shots you'd recommend removing?

0:26 & 0:37 I wonder if you could get away with a cropped shot that doesn't show the full creature at 0:37?  Does the poster allow for you to zoom out a bit when you do the pan up on the hand? There seems to be a slight difference in contrast between the hand and the swimmer that sticks out during the pan up of the poster. This last part is just nitpicking though. I do love the huge "GILLS" text.

DigModiFicaTion said:
 I wonder if you could get away with a cropped shot that doesn't show the full creature at 0:37? 

As in just show the hand? I'll have a go. 

Does the poster allow for you to zoom out a bit when you do the pan up on the hand? There seems to be a slight difference in contrast between the hand and the swimmer that sticks out during the pan up of the poster. 

I think that's just how the poster looks. I don't know if I can zoom out anymore, because then the image will include the criterion banner and FE logo. I assumed that would look a bit odd, but it could be fine.

The Scribbling Man said:
I think that's just how the poster looks. I don't know if I can zoom out anymore, because then the image will include the criterion banner and FE logo. I assumed that would look a bit odd, but it could be fine.

Perhaps this would help? :)

artboard-5.png

How's this, @"DigModiFicaTion" ?

Thanks for the feedback btw. I like things to be the best they can be, and helpful peeps like you make that achievable  :D

I like how you hid the creature to show it, but not totally reveal it. I'd personally probably be a little more coy ;)
The poster part felt a little off this time around. I liked how the original panned up along his arm to reveal it going after the swimmer like in the Jaws trailer. Perhaps zoom out a bit to begin with and then pan up. The zoom in on the text revealed some pretty jagged lines on the text. Perhaps just a fade out?
The cropped shots of his hand right before the "GILLS" is great!

Fab trailer Scrib! Love the zooming in/out on the poster, very effective with the score  :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
I like how you hid the creature to show it, but not totally reveal it. I'd personally probably be a little more coy ;)

Coy how?  

The Jaws trailer doesn't show the shark at all and is almost entirely POV. It would be my preference to mimic that, but that isn't possible, sadly. I'm not sure what other footage I can use that will lend itself to subtlety without just showing the woman swimming above water all the time (which I find a bit dull). The underwater shots are at least a bit more sinister. Subtlety is hard when using footage from an unsubtle film!  

The poster part felt a little off this time around. I liked how the original panned up along his arm to reveal it going after the swimmer like in the Jaws trailer. Perhaps zoom out a bit to begin with and then pan up. 

Okey doke. I can make it more like the first one. I just thought I'd try making use of the scope of the image theryaney provided.

The zoom in on the text revealed some pretty jagged lines on the text. Perhaps just a fade out?

I liked the idea of having it zoom in on the word "Jaws" before fading to white, but maybe that won't work :(

The cropped shots of his hand right before the "GILLS" is great!

Thank you  :D

Sinbad said:
Fab trailer Scrib! Love the zooming in/out on the poster, very effective with the score  :)

Thanks! It's a great soundtrack  :cool:

Perhaps you could use some footage from the Jaws trailer itself?
Article 76B Clause 89.2187 said:
All editors shall read, but not be expected to accept, the feedback of others.
  • Amendment A- All editors should just do what they feel is best for their edits. :)
The trailer does look great and are generally the hardest part of editing, to me. I just like your editing and wanted to say that I was somehow connected with the great Scribbler :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
Perhaps you could use some footage from the Jaws trailer itself?

That's a good idea. 

I'm away now till the 26th, so I can't return to it till then. But a version 3 will surface, I assure you. 

The trailer does look great and are generally the hardest part of editing, to me. 

They are hard, aren't they? They're a lot of fun though - and worth refining, IMO. Normal trailers are meant to make you interested in the film, but I feel fanedit trailers are a bit different in that they are more a window into the editors style and ability. If a trailer is well done, then it shows the viewer that the edit will be worth thier time and of a similar, if not higher, standard to what they're seeing. Therefore, I feel its worth spending the time on it :) 

I just like your editing and wanted to say that I was somehow connected with the great Scribbler :)

Darn it, Dig. You say such nice things! You forced me to modify your reputation. :p

Also, I made a modification, the text was at the wrong place. :)

artboard-18.png

The zoom in on the text revealed some pretty jagged lines on the text. Perhaps just a fade out?

I liked the idea of having it zoom in on the word "Jaws" before fading to white, but maybe that won't work :(

How about you make your own text in your editor, not with the picture? In that sense, it won't be aliased.

Back
Top Bottom