• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition

Why not simply put "The Gill-Man" on the front in the suggested Jaws font and put a Scribbling Man edit in small font at the bottom?

i like the way my cover is.
i put what the editor essentially asked for.
if i change the font for things on the front and have different fonts
everywhere else, it will look odd.
and i've had comments bout not using the same fonts on my covers.

jswert123456 said:
i like the way my cover is.
i put what the editor essentially asked for.
if i change the font for things on the front and have different fonts
everywhere else, it will look odd.
and i've had comments bout not using the same fonts on my covers.

Perhaps I misread the below post?

The Scribbling Man said:
Do you think you could have a go at using the Jaws font? 

it's ok.
i tried it for a second, but it looked odd, so i went back to the old font.

This scene was born for the Jaws soundtrack:

Filter isn't currently on, and I'm aware the title card hasn't rendered quite right, but any feedback on the scoring would be appreciated.

Thanks!

very cool! 

One comment: the first ~8-9 seconds of the music are happy and upbeat, but shifts to cautionary (~9 seconds) and even sinister at the 37 seconds mark. The music/visuals match at 37 seconds is awesome, since that's when we see the creature, but it seems the music of her swimming isn't lining up all that well. I wonder if there is a way to rework it so that the music shift at ~8-9 seconds here cues with the visual footage ~27 seconds in?

Otherwise, this is indeed a great match!

Thanks for the feedback, @"ThrowgnCpr" .  Rewatching the clip back now after having the evening away from it, I can see what you mean. 

I wasn't really too keen on having the "happy"  theme for her swimming, but I can understand that the sinister vibe is also a bit premature. The main issue I have is varying the non-tense moments and not rehashing themes too often. The bulk of the Jaws soundtrack has a chiefly sinister feel, which can make some of the scoring challenging! 

I'll have a go at what you've suggested and upload a fresh clip. 

Thanks again :)

Oh yeah, fitting scores cut for completely different films can be a real headache. You did a great job with the previous clip. If you can tweak further to improve the tone, cool, if not, it's still quite decent.

Work in progress:
artboard-copy-1282.png

What do you think? :)

new color version- found a more hi res poster to combine on the front.
x3v877.jpg

color version 4
sorry but i noticed some problems with that last cover.
jhv4ec.jpg

theryaney said:
Work in progress:
artboard-copy-1282.png

What do you think? :)

He looks a bit too large to me. The background as well. What about shrinking and rotating him so he's going after her. Perhaps add some contrast or paint effects to mimic the painting?
The text visually flows well the way you positioned it.

I'd agree with DigMod. Only other thing I'd say is to fill in some of the blank space on the back with a couple of stills from the film. Otherwise it looks great :) Thanks, Theryaney!

This any better, @"ThrowgnCpr" ? 

I've done what you suggested, as well as altering the music for the swimming. I've also had another play with the chase/boat attack. The video starts from an earlier scene for more musical context.

Here also is an alternate scoring for the dive scene:

The swimming rescore works perfectly now! Well done, scribbler!!!

Here's my teak of theryaney's cover to mimic the Jaws poster.

gill-man-silent-tweak1.png

Those clips are pretty good. Are you planning to add a slight sepia tone and vintage film effects such as jitters, dust and scratches?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Those clips are pretty good. 

Are you planning to add a slight sepia tone and vintage film effects such as jitters, dust and scratches?

Yes and no. There's a filter on the preview in the first post, where you can see that it's sepia for the "prologue" and then switches to black and white for the rest of the film (with a very slight tint) - I think it looks better that way, personally. 

There are also vintage film effects on the first preview, which I've had to remove temporarily. I forgot that I was using BCC, which I've recently pinned down as the cause of Vegas crashing while editing and rendering. So I now need to mimic that effect with Sony's inbuilt option - not been very pleased with the results so far though...  :(

DigModiFicaTion said:
Here's my teak of theryaney's cover to mimic the Jaws poster.

gill-man-silent-tweak1.png

Thanks, Dig. I like the concept, though that shot of the hand looks more clumsy than threatening. Had a look on Google and it seems pretty tough to find an alternative though. Might be good to also see an inverted shot of the whole creature, similar to what's on the t-shirt/jswert's design. 

The fossil on the back fills in the space nicely.

Back
Top Bottom