• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: B+ Movie Edition

*Updated post to include the video since it's a new page.*
The Scribbling Man said:

That trailer nailed it! I like that it showed the monster without having it be a reveal. Great job!

Agreed.  Very nice trailer.
Made me want to watch!

I've reviewed this for the Academy/ifdb and I'm pleased to say it's approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

An excellent edit trimming all the fat away from this 1950s monster flick (25 minutes cut). Footage of the creature is kept to a minimum like 'Jaws' with the result being that he is much more menacing and less obviously a dude in an awkward rubber suit. I didn't notice a single video or audio cut which is impressive. Love the B&W vintage style FE.org and ScribblingMan and new "Gill-Man" titlecards. They mesh so well with the movies' actual 1954 titles.

This is taken from a PAL DVD but 1.8GB should be sufficient to provide a near-perfect image for a 54-minute 720p MP4 but what I'm seeing is only average. It's totally acceptable but could be improved. Increasing the filesize/bitrate a tiny bit might help but what would help the most is removing the large black bars down each side. It can be surprising how much of the video filesize is devoted to reproducing nothing when a 4:3 film is pillarboxed in a 16:9 frame. It's not a massive issue though.

Great job @"The Scribbling Man"

On a side note... apart from the obvious 'Jaws' similarities (shots, editing, music) I also noticed that the opening scenes follow a similar pattern to 'Jurassic Park' and I swear the jungle ambient soundFX are the exact same ones used in the opening of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. I didn't really notice this Spielberg stuff in the original cut because I was probably too busy being bored :D . I'd like to see somebody rescore this movie with John Williams (from the analogous scenes) just to see.

TM2YC said:
I've reviewed this for the Academy/ifdb and I'm pleased to say it's approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

An excellent edit trimming all the fat away from this 1950s monster flick (25 minutes cut). Footage of the creature is kept to a minimum like 'Jaws' with the result being that he is much more menacing and less obviously a dude in an awkward rubber suit. I didn't notice a single video or audio cut which is impressive. Love the B&W vintage style FE.org and ScribblingMan and new "Gill-Man" titlecards. They mesh so well with the movies' actual 1954 titles.

This is taken from a PAL DVD but 1.8GB should be sufficient to provide a near-perfect image for a 54-minute 720p MP4 but what I'm seeing is only average. It's totally acceptable but could be improved. Increasing the filesize/bitrate a tiny bit might help but what would help the most is removing the large black bars down each side. It can be surprising how much of the video filesize is devoted to reproducing nothing when a 4:3 film is pillarboxed in a 16:9 frame. It's not a massive issue though.

Great job @"The Scribbling Man"

On a side note... apart from the obvious 'Jaws' similarities (shots, editing, music) I also noticed that the opening scenes follow a similar pattern to 'Jurassic Park' and I swear the jungle ambient soundFX are the exact same ones used in the opening of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. I didn't really notice this Spielberg stuff in the original cut because I was probably too busy being bored :D . I'd like to see somebody rescore this movie with John Williams (from the analogous scenes) just to see.

Thank you! Wasn't expecting this to be approved for a while, so this is a nice surprise. I'd like to try and get the quality up if you think that's possible, and then I can also apply those techniques to future projects. Would you be willing to help me out with that via PM?

Last chance to put in a vote! B+ Movie Edit #2 starts tomorrow :)

Sounds like there were no alterations needed for approval, apparently thats quite a rarity too for a first edit isn't it? is movie#2 B+ edition in production now Mr Scribbler?

Sinbad said:
Sounds like there were no alterations needed for approval, apparently thats quite a rarity too for a first edit isn't it? is movie#2 B+ edition in production now Mr Scribbler?

Starting tomorrow. People still have this evening to vote on the poll :)

I've just submitted the form for this (awaiting moderation), and I'm currently rendering a much better quality file as per @"TM2YC" 's advice and instructions. 

I also happened to stumble on a flash frame by pure coincidence while testing the video. This has now been fixed!

If anyone should like the most recent version, PM me (it'll be ready by tomorrow). The complete art will also now be contained in the download, including @"jswert123456" 's alternative DVD spread and a disc design that @"theryaney" kindly put together for me. 

A DVD will be put together in the not-too-distant-future and I'll be sure to post here when it's ready.

Been working on an alternate "Silent Movie" version that I'm rescoring with John Williams "Jaws" soundtrack. Was initially going for something a bit different, but I felt inspired by TMBTM's SW (EP 7) edit and thought it would not only be interesting to see the film with music influenced by it, but the format also frees me up to be more liberal with the editing. The Jaws soundtrack is a wonderful piece of work as well, and allows even more for me to try and create some real tension. 

This was initially planned as a special feature for the Gill-man DVD (hence why this isn't a separate thread... yet), but due to the amount of work I've been putting in and how pleased I am with how it's looking so far, I'm considering releasing it as a separate fanedit. 

Working title: The Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition

Fab idea! you kept that one quiet, the previous edit reminded of Jaws frequently to the extent I would put money on it had some influence on Mr Spielberg when making Jaws. What sort of runtime are we looking at? Very keen to see finished result, whats happening with the Christmas edit too?

Sinbad said:
Fab idea! you kept that one quiet, the previous edit reminded of Jaws frequently to the extent I would put money on it had some influence on Mr Spielberg when making Jaws. What sort of runtime are we looking at? Very keen to see finished result, whats happening with the Christmas edit too?

Thanks! Runtime I think is likely to be between 30 and 40 minutes - not because I'm aiming for it, but that's just what it's looking like. There's more of a need to trim down dialogue and make  use of visual ques.

Christmas edit is done. It's just uploading it, which I'll try and do tomorrow. I'll post a thread with poster and details then as well.

The Incredible Shrinking Man: B+ Movie Edition hasn't been forgotten either, just prioritised the Christmas edit because... Well, it's Christmas. I've made a start on it, but due to activity over the holidays I probably won't get very far with it until at least January.

I can imagine its quite a challenge doing a silent movie but you can go nuts with the narrative I would think if you want to,  I wouldnt mind a go at one myself maybe the 1980 Flash Gordon at some point in the future.

Sinbad said:
I can imagine its quite a challenge doing a silent movie but you can go nuts with the narrative I would think if you want to,  I wouldnt mind a go at one myself maybe the 1980 Flash Gordon at some point in the future.

That would be cool! As long as you still make use of some Queen ;)

The Scribbling Man said:
Sinbad said:

That would be cool! As long as you still make use of some Queen ;)

I think it would be sacriligeous not to, Jaws is a perfect match for Gill Man Silent Edition. Which reminds me need to leave a review now its an official release :)

Purely hypothetical at this stage, but it's been on and off my mind to revisit this at somepoint. Being my first edit, there's the odd thing that would be nice to tweak. 

Would anyone be interested in a potential HD rework? If that went well, I would possibly do the same for the Silent Jaws version, and could maybe put a blu-ray together (there's a first time for everything). 

It would be a little while off yet, but I'm just wondering how much interest there'd be (if any).

@tigermask1 I appreciate the interest, but I've had to delete your comment since asking editors for links to their edits publicly is against the site rules.

I'm still interested!

Are you referring to the HD rework? It's been at the back of my mind. I'll try and get to it soon.

I have The Incredible Shrinking Man on blu-ray as well now, so if it's not too much of a headache, I might do the same with that.

Back
Top Bottom