• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Crow: Devil's Night - Trailer Added

HanShotFirst

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Black & White version of The Crow with a few cuts to remove narration and silly moments. This edit is inspired by the look of the original comic and an interview with Brandon Lee (included in the blu-ray extras) in which the actor indicates his preference for a black & white version of the film. Art and trailer coming soon...

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Cutlist and Major Changes/Additions:
Added a short clip from the Blu-ray makings with Brandon Lee discussing a black & white version of the film.
Black & white color effect on the entire film except for Eric's flashbacks, and seeing through the crow's eyes.
Removed Sarah's narration from the beginning and end of the film.
Removed some of Sarah's crying when she is told about Eric and Shelly's fate. This just came off as rather fake, and i hate fake crying!
Removed a close-up shot of a hot-dog! Yes, I hate close-up shots of food, it's just a thing I despise.
Removed some hot-dog related dialog that was very pointless and silly.
Removed the over-the-top, and excessively violent, impaled on the statue shot. I have just always thought it was too much.

Trailer/Music Video
[video=youtube_share;4GN6qqN7txM]

I don't know yet, have to wait and see what cuts were made. The editor should post a cutlist, please.

I'm a Crow fan as well. Sounds interesting. Need a cut list and more details though.

I also suggest posting a clip or two, a couple minutes long, to show the black & white conversion. Videos can really help create interest in non-SW fanedits.

Update: added a short cutlist, there isn't a whole lot of changes as I am actually a very big fan of this film and mostly just wanted a black & white version to enjoy. The Crow is kind of like a film noir in it's dark story and use of shadows. I figured that would make it really striking in a monochromatic color palette and from what I've seen so far in editing it worked out great.

not sure why you would add a clip of the actor from the making of, its not a deleted scene. so not sure how that will work or make alot of sense.

jswert123456 said:
not sure why you would add a clip of the actor from the making of, its not a deleted scene. so not sure how that will work or make alot of sense.

HanShotFirst said:
This edit is inspired by the look of the original comic and an interview with Brandon Lee (included in the blu-ray extras) in which the actor indicates his preference for a black & white version of the film

[MENTION=9437]jswert123456[/MENTION], I'm going to take an educated guess and say [MENTION=9615]HanShotFirst[/MENTION] is including the interview with Brandon Lee because its part of the inspiration behind the edit. So maybe HanShotFirst is going to include that as a kinda of introductory clip before the fanedit starts, to clue in the viewer about what influenced the choice to make the edit b&w. Seems like it will work and makes alot of sense, at least to me ;)

To be honest I have had a lot more replies to this edit than my Star Wars edit, even though my SW edit is far more complex with many more cuts and changes. I guess it's just that The Crow doesn't have many, if any, fan edits yet.

In my opinion, a very brief clip from the interview is fitting. Nothing over a minute though, preferable under 30 seconds. That should be sufficient.

Highly excited about this by the way, I've watched the Crow so many times... Soo many times (not as many as fight club or 300 though, probably due to a smart phone and long shotgun rides :). )

AHHHHHHH!!! The trailer has one of my FAVORITE songs ever in it!!!!!!!

That BEAT, my god! it turns me on every time!!

I have this in my CD player in my car, I purposely go to that track just to hear that intro, it's phenomenal!

Ok, just got through the trailer, it's amazing.

I really like the combination of color and grey scale. And, it even makes sense. In his "Alive" life (before he died) humans see in color, but after he dies and becomes the Crow he sees in black and white which would be correct, if he were an actual crow.

This is brilliant, and I don't think it could be done better.

Hopefully the cover art will utilize grey scale imagery as well?

I just watched the video and think it works quite well; given that the majority of the film happens at night and with a lot of darkness around, black & white works well - plus it's a nice callback to the original comic being in black & white.

The only other thing I would suggest is considering whether there's any footage you could cut in to help sell the idea of Devil's Night being as severe a collapse of law & order as the story requires. I haven't watched the film in a while, but I remember having a feeling that it was something we were told, rather than convinced of, in the film's opening stages. If it were possible to add footage of riots (either real-world riot footage from news sources or fictional from films) it might help sell the threat of Devil's Night (towards the end, for instance, we get to a point where we have just one or two idiots in the gang shouting "Fire it up! Fire it up!" as Eric hunts them down, which is a bit of a pity).

That One Guy said:
If it were possible to add footage of riots (either real-world riot footage from news sources or fictional from films) it might help sell the threat of Devil's Night (towards the end, for instance, we get to a point where we have just one or two idiots in the gang shouting "Fire it up! Fire it up!" as Eric hunts them down, which is a bit of a pity).

That is a great idea, I agree.

But also, add your black&white/color scheme to it.

Maybe add a crow's vision of it also?

Perhaps find great quality news footage that has more than one angle?

Again, any additions to the original cut should be brief. That's just my opinion though.

wayne.workman2012 said:
AHHHHHHH!!! The trailer has one of my FAVORITE songs ever in it!!!!!!!

That BEAT, my god! it turns me on every time!!

I have this in my CD player in my car, I purposely go to that track just to hear that intro, it's phenomenal!

I still have my copy of the cd soundtrack from back in the day. I had to buy it after seeing the movie, love the My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult tune especially.

wayne.workman2012 said:
Ok, just got through the trailer, it's amazing.

I really like the combination of color and grey scale. And, it even makes sense. In his "Alive" life (before he died) humans see in color, but after he dies and becomes the Crow he sees in black and white which would be correct, if he were an actual crow.

This is brilliant, and I don't think it could be done better.

Hopefully the cover art will utilize grey scale imagery as well?

Thanks so much! I was already ahead of you with the grey scale cover, but I always appreciate friendly advice. I'm not great with Photoshop, and my trial period on the software is about to end. I guess I'll need to purchase it and figure it out if I'm gonna make some seriously pro looking edits with all the artwork and maybe bonus materials (commentaries, trailers, extra). Editing is my thing, not so much titles, and art just yet. Practice makes prefect though, so I'll just give it my best shot.

That One Guy said:
I just watched the video and think it works quite well; given that the majority of the film happens at night and with a lot of darkness around, black & white works well - plus it's a nice callback to the original comic being in black & white.

The only other thing I would suggest is considering whether there's any footage you could cut in to help sell the idea of Devil's Night being as severe a collapse of law & order as the story requires. I haven't watched the film in a while, but I remember having a feeling that it was something we were told, rather than convinced of, in the film's opening stages. If it were possible to add footage of riots (either real-world riot footage from news sources or fictional from films) it might help sell the threat of Devil's Night (towards the end, for instance, we get to a point where we have just one or two idiots in the gang shouting "Fire it up! Fire it up!" as Eric hunts them down, which is a bit of a pity).

Well, there are a few deleted scenes, but I don't think I will be using them. They don't add very much to the narrative or anything about Devil's Night as you mentioned. I will consider your suggestion about adding other footage from a different source, but I am hesitant to do that unless I'm making some kind of mash-up or retro thing like a Star Wars serial I was thinking about doing. I might use 30's Flash Gordon footage in that edit if I ever get to it.

Back
Top Bottom