• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Brothers Grimm: The Fairytale Workprint by TM2YC

Omaru1982 said:
It's a fraction off, but it's a minor thing considering how distracting the original source colour was.

I've tweaked it a bit now. This is the almost finished sequence...

(Password: fanedit.org)

...but I can't seem to find a sound for a horse be spurred and galloping off for the end bit at 01.25. I can find loads of general horse noises but not for that specific action. If anybody can find one it would be a big help. I'm struggling to think of what search term to use for a start!

What about The Good, The Bad & The Ugly? When Tuco is saved by The Cowboy with No Name, he's sitting on a horse about to be lynched. I could swear there's spurring and galopping. Other easier choices would be Seabiscuit, Mission Impossible II (? features horse racing), maybe The Godfather as well? There's an introduction at the races for the dude with the horse before it actually gets chopped off I think. Secretariat, War Horse, Racing Stripes, Hidalgo, ... ?

War Horse, good idea. I've got that :). Most of it is slathered with overbearing syrupy music but worth a look.

I'm not sure about galloping but a horse gets spooked in the english version of the Ring. And I suppose there might be the possibility of some relevant sound clips in Sleepy Hollow (the Tim Burton film, not the series)

Sleepy Hollow, good one Omaru1982. Might I suggest Gladiator? Perhaps during his speech in the opening battle? There's a part where he runs past the troops with his dog close behind him. Perhaps some galloping there? And when he flanks the horde from the woods I'm dead certain there's a close up on his horse's legs as well. Definitely sound there, don't know if it's good though, might be backed with the soundtrack.

War Horse was no good. Actually almost no scenes of just one person riding a horse. Time to go through all the westerns in my collection :x.

I re-watched 'Django Unchained' the other day, wish I'd been listening out.

Maybe I could try, I don't know? 'Heaven's Gate'... the western I'm working on right now! Early signs of alzheimers I think ;-).

Yep 'Heaven's Gate' had exactly what I wanted and when I realised I knew exactly which scene to go to. Thanks for the tips anyway :).

I was finding restoring the workprint ending almost impossible a few months ago. But just realised it was actually easy. All in all a good day for this project :).

Glad to hear you're back on track, no more horsing around :lol: :deadhorse:

The last few pieces in this fanedit are really breaking my balls :x. I'm trying to get this beautiful piece of virtually unused music...

...to fit perfectly back where it should go over the deleted scene (The last part of the music is still audible in the film right after where the scene was deleted). Trying to find the perfect synch point where it hits all the emotional beats is hard. When I think I've got anywhere near, I'll upload the scene. I've said it before but I'm almost tone-deaf, so getting music editing right is my Kryptonite :oops:.

By the way, Gilliam mentions on his commentary that this shot of Heath Ledger dancing for joy...

...was one of his favourite shots in the whole movie (That was sadly cut). So it was nice to add it back in today :).

Last-but-one scene finished (And the final scene 99% done). An emotional payoff scene that should never have been cut IMHO...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Restored missing score
- Complete missing audio elements (Again it was practically just the dialogue originally :-()
- Colour-graded footage to match rest of movie as closely as possible

I've rendered and watched my first workprint of this workprint. This really is a very funny and entertaining movie and Matt Damon and Heath Ledger are hilarious. The increased role for the dementedly wonderful Cavaldi (Peter Stormare) in this edit, definitely improves the experience for me.

I've made a list of little improvements and fixes I need to make but I think this should be finished very soon. I can't decide if I want to release this as my usual 1280x720 HD resolution, or half that in SD. HD looks nice for the majority for sure but SD hides the drop in quality when we cut to deleted scenes much, much better. Hmmm, decisions, decisions :x.

Really awesome! I can't wait to see this. As for the two options, why not try both?

You're calling it a workprint so I don't think it's necessary to hide the fact that the deleted scenes are lower quality. I would put a note in the description saying that though.

I was hoping to release this edit this weekend but I think it's going to take a while to do a range of test renders to get the right balance between filesize/quality/SD/HD.

My first render was waaaay smaller than it needed to be but the low-quality masked the jumps in and out of the deleted scenes extremely well. I'm trying some higher settings now but at the moment I'm leaning towards this being an SD only edit.

Also for some reason the DVD I rendered in SonyDVDArchitect looked like this...

14962277289_9c58b27977.jpg

...I haven't worked out how or why yet. I remember selecting the 16:9 option, but not the Ultra-Panavision-70 tick box ;-).

Yeah, Sony DVD Architect has some weird settings sometimes. Make sure it was something like "16:9 720x480" and not "16:9 704x480".

Neglify said:
Yeah, Sony DVD Architect has some weird settings sometimes. Make sure it was something like "16:9 720x480" and not "16:9 704x480".

I did use "16:9 704x480", as "16:9 720x480" was adding black bars all round the image for some reason. Why would "16:9 720x480" make it go crazy wide?

All I know is that juice used to make DVDs with the 704x480 option and the AR was stretched in VLC, and the only change he would make is select "720x480" and it'd be correct. I burned a "704x480" disc and watched on living room TV and the AR was fine. It's always been a big :shrug: for me.

Some people mistakenly believe that a DAR of 16:9 is not valid for a line resolution of anything other than 720. I would surmise that one such individual helped program DVD Architect. Depending on settings, it probably either interprets your video as 4:3 (the only other possible DAR for DVD) and makes a crude attempt to resize accordingly or pads it to 720 by adding eight pixels to either side. (The latter is actually the method that I purposely employ for anything that I make for general release – for various reasons.)

I have nothing to add other than I think this is a fantastic idea, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks for the DVD advice all ^, I've finally cracked it and it looks nice now. MP4 is finished and uploaded so I just need to slowly upload the DVD and this will be available at the weekend :).

After around 10 test renders using various different settings, I've gone with a Standard-Definition MP4 afterall, as it allowed me to really max out the quality settings and preserve the "texture" of the image, while making the jumps into the lower-quality deleted material as seemless as possible, with a unified resolution.

I rejected the HD mp4 option as it made the deleted scenes stand out too much and to get a reasonable size file I had set the bitrate to a low level that lost a lot of the grain.

Back
Top Bottom