• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Brothers Grimm: The Fairytale Workprint by TM2YC

I'm at work and can't watch the video yet but wanted to say Gilliam's my all time favorite ever since I first saw Brazil. Really glad you're starting back up on this, and I can't wait to see your progress and end result!

TM2YC said:
I had to reconstruct and remix the audio for a few seconds to smoothly transition into the title sequence, but I don't think you can tell? Does the visual cut work too? btw I also re-graded the first establishing shot of Germany so it now matches the second overhead shot much better that it did in the original movie.

It transition into the title sequence sounds fine; I didn't notice any tinkering. But the hard cut from the title straight to the long shot of the two riders didn't work for me. The change felt abrupt, but it might be because the music didn't change at all. I'm not sure, but it felt off. Also, the audio edit at 0:47-0:48 is a little rough.

plurmonger said:
It transition into the title sequence sounds fine; I didn't notice any tinkering. But the hard cut from the title straight to the long shot of the two riders didn't work for me. The change felt abrupt, but it might be because the music didn't change at all. I'm not sure, but it felt off. Also, the audio edit at 0:47-0:48 is a little rough.

You've made my day :-D . All those things you mention are the original professional cuts, you didn't notice any of mine :).

TM2YC said:
You've made my day :-D . All those things you mention are the original professional cuts, you didn't notice any of mine :).

Ha! There's a little more proof that your re-edit is a worthwhile endeavor.

Here is a first example of a re-inserted deleted scene. This project has "Workprint" in the title for a reason as the deleted material was in very poor shape. It's been my goal to bring it up to the best level I can, not to make it perfect. So bare that in mind...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Footage colour-graded shot-by-shot to be as close to the surrounding footage as I could make them
- Heavy sound foley work done to complete the original unfinished onset audio. 20 or more audio layers added

FYI: The first word or two by Cavaldi doesn't quite match his lips. This is because the audio and video are different takes, so is unavoidable. Also Gilliam can be heard shouting stage-directions at one point towards the end, again unavoidable.

Here is the second deleted scene insert of Ledger and Damon in Cavaldi's cages. The rattling of the chains is very loud over the dialogue but there's nothing I could do about that. However I have scored the scene and added various pieces of ambient soundFX as well as the usual colour-correction...

Oh and I completed the unfinished bluescreen shot. It's a short scene but I've left some of the surrounding footage to show the colour of the rest of the footage for comparison

Does it work okay?

Another day another test. This shows the re-insertion of the brief talk about the Angelika the "cursed" trapper.

- Colour graded heavily to match earlier exterior village scene
- Re-graded first scene inside Angelika's hut to match re-graded village shot
- Added a lot of the missing soundFX. Villager chatter, farmyard noises, squelching muddy footprints, horse noises, children throwing stones etc
- Added some brief music portions

3627999-download.jpg

^ Thanks Darth.

This might be a bit premature but I finished the cover already...

Having a few months break on this project was well worth it as I thought the next scene was finished. But I've now done loads more sound work on it and even spotted the mis-placement of piece of Matt Damon's dialogue (Which meant even more sound work to cover the move). See what y'all think...

This deleted scene was pretty much only the dialogue (And I've remixed that), so I've had to add all the other sound and music layers that you can hear (Plus colour-grade the visuals).

I think it sounds decent and the levels are all balanced right?

btw It's a shame that Lena Headey seems to have done a slighty different accent on set than she did in the final loop.

I finally caught up and everything looks awesome!

addiesin said:
I finally caught up and everything looks awesome!

Oh good, nothing sounded or looked out of place?

Here is another newly finished up and re-inserted deleted scene...

Again just about the only sound that this scene had was the dialogue. Almost everything else you can hear has been added by myself including the Musical-Saw (Plus scored the end). Each shot has been colour-graded to be consistent across the scene and hopefully now better matches the rest of the film.

As there are several things going on at once (A story, action in two locations and music) in this scene it was a b*tch to build up all the sound layers and get them balanced. Let me know if anybody thinks anything is too loud or too quiet?

If you've been following this project, you'll know that finishing the audio in the "tree battle" was by far hardest part I was up against. I'd been finding any excuse not to work on it :-D but today I think I've finally cracked it. This clip features 67 different additional audio elements beyond the basic-unfinished track that was present in the deleted-scene already...

I think the soundmix sounds pretty "full" now, right? Or does anybody think it still sounds very unfinished?

This deleted scene was a nightmare to integrate...

There was nothing there apart from the vocals. So I've had to add all the soundfx, the ambient background noise, the music and make it feel like it was taking place at the same time as the French assault on the dark forest.

Please tell me it works okay? :lol:

One of the longest deleted segments finished...

Much sound work again and additional music.

Only 1.5 more scenes left to work on :).

The tree scene, I feel, is not quite there. I think it could do with a bit more sound FX towards the beginning when Wil and Angelika are being swung around and (more importantly) when the roots are tearing out of the ground to fight Jacob on the ground. The following two clips sound fantastic!

plurmonger said:
The tree scene, I feel, is not quite there. I think it could do with a bit more sound FX towards the beginning when Wil and Angelika are being swung around and (more importantly) when the roots are tearing out of the ground to fight Jacob on the ground. The following two clips sound fantastic!

"Roots... tearing out of the ground" excellent suggestion thanks. I was probably too busy trying to add the sounds of the swinging branches and forgot the roots.

Sometimes sound editing can be like not seeing the wood for the trees :lol: :-D :icon_lol:

I think the colour grading is working out very well. Here is an example from the night time battle...

It's a fraction off, but it's a minor thing considering how distracting the original source colour was.

Back
Top Bottom