• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The 50,000 Movie Challenge

Frantic Canadian said:
Nobody said it wouldn't take time, although I don't think it would take nine years.
I'm not great at maths but I figured 40,000 movies (Surely you can't have seen more than 10,000 movies so far) average 'em out to two hours each just for ease, that's 80,000 hours...which is roughly 9 years, give or take.

Not trying to talk you out of it though, I promise. Just marveling at the size of the task. :)

Good luck, and let us know what truth you find when you watch the 50,000th movie.

Uncanny Antman said:
I'm not great at maths but I figured 40,000 movies (Surely you can't have seen more than 10,000 movies so far) average 'em out to two hours each just for ease, that's 80,000 hours...which is roughly 9 years, give or take.

Not trying to talk you out of it though, I promise. Just marveling at the size of the task. :)

The highest number I've found so far is 47,950, and that's not counting movies that haven't been released yet, or have just been released and I haven't found the number for yet. You've also got to take into account that back in the 30's and 40's movies were much shorter than today. A lot of them are only about an hour to 80 minutes in length. I'm also seeing some of the early numbers being doubled. One number can be attributed to a "feature-length" film and a short. My guess is that they were shown together and just gave them both the same number. Could be wrong though. In those cases though I'll only count the feature-length film, as counting a short would be kinda cheating. ;) Although there are some theatrical shorts, like the ones attached to Pixar movies and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", which are given a number all their own. Those shorts I will count.

And speaking of theatrical shorts, if anyone happens to go see "Wreck-It Ralph", would you mind taking note of the certificate/approved number for the short that precedes it? The short is called "Paperman" and I can't seem to find the number online.

As for an update, so far I've been able to check off 340 titles from the list. Thirty-eight of those titles are pre-10,000. That's just a drop in the bucket though.

A problem I've come across is that apparently the number 39360 has been appointed to 10 films. I can't currently verify all 10, but I do have 2 of those films (Adventureland and Seed Of Chucky), and I can say for sure that Adventureland is number 39360. I'll have to check Seed Of Chucky a little later to verify that number. If anybody wants to help, the Kevin Smith film Jersey Girl is apparently also listed with that number. If anyone has that film on DVD :lol: would you mind taking a screenshot of the certificate/approved number and posting it here for me?

Frantic Canadian said:
A problem I've come across is that apparently the number 39360 has been appointed to 10 films. I can't currently verify all 10, but I do have 2 of those films (Adventureland and Seed Of Chucky), and I can say for sure that Adventureland is number 39360. I'll have to check Seed Of Chucky a little later to verify that number. If anybody wants to help, the Kevin Smith film Jersey Girl is apparently also listed with that number. If anyone has that film on DVD :lol: would you mind taking a screenshot of the certificate/approved number and posting it here for me?

Screenshot from Jersey Girl:

jerseygirl.png

Thanks for the screenshot Neg. That is really weird. I've got the Seed Of Chucky DVD in right now, and I'm staring at the certificate/approval number, and it's also 39360. How is that possible? How could the MPAA screw up so bad as to not only assign the same number to 2 films, but to 3? I'm going to have to assume the other 7 who are listed as having number 39360 are also correct.

If you're curious the 10 films listed as being number 39360 are:

- Adventureland
- Doubt
- Everybody's Fine
- Jersey Girl
- My Boss's Daughter
- Scary Movie 3
- Seed Of Chucky
- Something New
- The Hitcher
- The Ice Harvest

Maybe it's some sort of Easter Egg or... dun dun dun... CONSPIRACY THEORY! Maybe the MPAA knew that nobody ever gave a shit about these numbers so they planted these types of duplicates so that when someone found it, it would reveal something to them. This means something. This is important.

closeencountersofthethi.jpg

I think you may be right. Only I don't think it has anything to do with aliens. I think it has to do with the Kennedy assassination. Like if I re-arrange the letters in those ten titles it'll tell me who really killed Kennedy. Yeah. That must be it. Off I go to investigate. :lol:

I've been able to check off another 50 titles. That now brings my tally to 390 films viewed from the list. I should be able to knock off another 50 or so tomorrow as well. Hopefully more though. And I was thinking about it. And I think I will include a short, one or two sentence review, for each new film I view from the list. I already rate movies on Flixster so I'll just apply the same numerological rating here as I do there. You know, instead of an alphabetical rating.

What about watching the movies with the X2 speed on VLC?
Still "watchable" and could save you few years of life time and that is not to be underestimated,
especially if you smoke cigarettes.

TMBTM said:
What about watching the movies with the X2 speed on VLC?
Still "watchable" and could save you few years of life time and that is not to be underestimated,
especially if you smoke cigarettes.

The only time I watch a movie on my computer is if it's an edit I'm working on and I want to make sure everything is working before I properly author it and burn it to disc, and when I'm comparing an alternate tv cut or workprint against the official DVD for any differences. I just hate sitting at my computer to watch a movie, so uncomfortable. My DVD recorder does have a speeded up viewing mode, and I have watched an occasional silent film or two with that function, but for talkies it would just be too distracting.

I've added another 118 titles to my "seen" list. That now brings my total to 508. I've also verified another 2 titles that were listed as being #39360 (Everybody's Fine and My Boss's Daughter), and both are in fact listed as #39360.

I've decided to start keeping track of films I've seen but for some reason or other I can't get the number for them. If anybody would be so kind as to help me out with those, by checking the numbers themselves if they so happen to have a copy of said film(s), it would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know and I'll either post the list or PM it to you, whichever you prefer.

you know, i really like this life's mission. i get a bit . . shall we say "driven" . . sometimes in trying to catalog and organize certain things in my life. and this project to me sounds really fun.
hit me a pm if you want. i certainly do not have quite the library as most folks here, but i'll do what i can.
and best of luck to you in your quest for truth.

I want to thank Neg and baileym43 for helping out with my quest. I will start posting the list of films which I've seen but can't get the number for, for whichever reason, in this thread in case anyone else wants to help out. That way I can update the list and keep everyone abreast of what numbers I need, and also save people some time by not looking for numbers which I may have already gotten in the interim since we've spoken.

As promised I will start posting brief reviews to films from the list after I watch them for the first time.

Think Like A Man (2012) - #46998

African-American chick flick based on a relationship book by Steve Harvey, yes that Steve Harvey. I wasn't expecting much from this film but was pleasantly surprised. I think it was enjoyable enough for the typical guy to see and not worry about losing his "man card". :lol:

[url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215719/]Katy Perry: Part Of Me (2012)[/url] - #47703

I thought this was going to be a concert film but it actually turned out to be a documentary. Mostly behind-the-scenes footage with some live footage thrown in. Kind of like a Cliff Notes visual autobiography. I didn't realize how long she had been in the business. Turns out she released a gospel album when she was 15, then she made another album that was kinda pop/rock but not sugar sweet pop like she's doing now, but it was never released. I also learned that her best friend is Shannon Woodward who plays Sabrina on "Raising Hope". Overall I'd give this a 3 out of 5. I think if I were a fan of her music I might have enjoyed it more.

Nights In Rodanthe (2008) - #44032

Chick flick based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks, who also wrote "The Notebook", which I haven't seen yet. I actually really liked this one. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Flixster.

Now, onto other matters. Not counting the films that Neg and baileym43 have and are able to help me out with I still need the numbers for the following films:

9 To 5
Aunty Lee's Meat Pies
Beverly Hillbillies, The
Captain Ron
Chasing Papi
Crimes Of Passion
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Everyone Says I Love You
Farce Of The Penguins
Freddy Got Fingered
F/X
F/X 2
Ghost Dad
Golden Child, The
Honeymoon In Vegas
Leap Of Faith
Mannequin
Mannequin Two: On The Move
Mighty Aphrodite
Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different
Moonlight Mile
Next Best Thing, The
Parenthood
PCU
Peggy Sue Got Married
Prizzi's Honor
Pure Luck
Real Blonde, The
Ringmaster
Sgt. Bilko
Showtime
Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
Space Jam
State And Main
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Three Fugitives
Three O'Clock High
Trail Mix-Up (Who Framed Roger Rabbit short)
Towering Inferno, The
WarGames

And these are some new titles that I haven't PM to Neg or baileym43.

Angel Town
And God Created Woman (1988)
Candyman: Day Of The Dead
Candyman: Farewell To The Flesh
Desperate Living
Hairspray (1988)
Leprechaun
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Stripes
Tales From The Crypt Presents Demon Knight
Tales From The Hood
Weekend At Bernie's II
Willow
Wishmaster 3: Beyond The Gates Of Hell
Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled

I decided to start posting the titles I need the numbers for in this thread that way everyone can help out and be updated with what is still needed. Whenever a number from this list is discovered I will remove it from the list so as to keep it as short as possible. If anyone wants to help out with any titles that aren't on the list feel free to, you never know, I may just need it but haven't seen the film yet.

Iol Captain Ron

Back
Top Bottom