• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The 50,000 Movie Challenge

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Blue Heaven: 30616

MBH_MPAA.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've come across another instance of the same number being used for multiple films. This time apparently both "All The President's Men", starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford, and "All The Right Moves", starring Tom Cruise, were appointed #27119. Anybody able to verify these films?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Captain Ron in the theaters. Was a time when a reusable plastic popcorn bucket came in very handy. Captain Ron is awesome.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added another 116 titles to my "Seen List". I'm now sitting at 624 movies seen.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Added another 116 titles to my "Seen List". I'm now sitting at 624 movies seen.

624 reviews or gtfo.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
do you have a link to the list of the 50,000 mpaa films ?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
do you have a link to the list of the 50,000 mpaa films ?

Technically there isn't 50,000 just yet, I just rounded it up. The highest number I've found so far is 47,950, but this is going to take quite a while to complete so I'm sure they'll reach 50,000 before I get a chance to see every one. But to answer your question, I don't have a master list. I'm going through my DVD and Blu-Ray collection, as well as that of my father's, the IMDB, and any DVD I can grab from the library, to get the numbers. I'll also go through my VHS collection, as well as that of my father's, because certain titles were never released to DVD. As you can imagine it's a long process. If I did have a complete list though I wouldn't be asking for help. ;)

Did you get a chance to check the titles you said you had? What about you Neg?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Did you get a chance to check the titles you said you had? What about you Neg?

Oh. Uh..........................

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
HA! same reply here.
but after some googling and reading i learned that the number is called a certificate number or certified number.
putting in that in google, i ran across this site which hasn't been updated since 2010 and there are some gaps in the list.
http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html
but it could still prove useful to your task.
also ran on this wiki list of films not reviewed by the mpaa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_made_before_the_MPAA_Production_Code

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, there are so many movies on that list you're never gonna get your hands on.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
HA! same reply here.
but after some googling and reading i learned that the number is called a certificate number or certified number.
putting in that in google, i ran across this site which hasn't been updated since 2010 and there are some gaps in the list.
http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html
but it could still prove useful to your task.
also ran on this wiki list of films not reviewed by the mpaa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_made_before_the_MPAA_Production_Cod e

Yep. Found that site myself and have it bookmarked. I'm holding off on using it though until I've gone through what I have at my disposal. That's where I found out that the number 39360 was apparently given out to 10 films.

Neglify said:
Damn, there are so many movies on that list you're never gonna get your hands on.

Don't be so sure of that.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added another 82 titles to my "seen" list and am now sitting at 706. Three of those titles I actually watched today, four if you count a Three Stooges short.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Three of those titles I actually watched today, four if you count a Three Stooges short.

Reviews?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

Boy Meets Girl (1938) - #4156

Decent comedy starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien as a pair of screenwriters. For a while there at the beginning, and a little later too, they reminded me of the Marx Brothers.

The Saint In London (1939) - #5439

Not to much to say about this one. It was alright but forgettable.

The Cross Of Lorraine (1943) - #9483

WWII movie set in Germany where a group of French soldiers are being held prisoners. I really liked this one. Two thumbs up. Plus it stars Peter Lorre, and that definitely grabbed my attention.

Do you really need me to review the Three Stooges short? :lol:

Top Bottom