• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman II: The Hybrid Cut (By ADigitalMan)

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
>>The title will be Superman II: Lester/Donner Combo! <<

Nothing like a clever title.

I loved this!

One complaint: I wish you could've had Zod and co. kill that little boy, with Ursa saying "(a boy) who will never become a man!" That would enhance their villainy, and Ursa's character in particular.

I agree completely. I found that scene on the You Will Believe documentary only after I'd completed the cut. I WILL put that in if ever I redo this one day.

Can I suggest a couple of things for both your SII and REDEEMED, should you ever re-visti them?

Well... OK.

For starters, I love the Hybrid Cut. Its excellent. I watch this with my friends (who don't require subtitles, I say), and it is my preffered viewed cut.

I'd ask to only add back, the office scene between Clark and Lois from Donner, where Lois tells him to go get some pizza.

Here's how it could go: Clark kisses Lois, and afterwards, we see Clark leaving (maybe reframe it to avoid that blue-dress lady), and then, show a shot of Metropolis, and Clark coming to office and "teasing" Lois with stuff that she forgot.

I think that way, it'd be a good way to illustrate just how far Lois has forgotten her Superman memories. After that, cut the "Superman takes day off" and follow on to the deleted bully scene.

Another cut, I would suggest to use Lester's Clark-pleading-to-his-father, effectively eliminating the mother reference. When Clark picks it up, as soon as the music stops, show a hand placing the crystal, and then Donner Cut with Brando. I say this, because I think the delivery from Lester when pleading for Jor-El is far more effective than Donner's. I think you should consider using that.

And of course, the kid being killed by Non. Just keep Non serious and non-stupid, ok? I say this because Non has that run sirene from the police car scene.

Now on with Supes Redeemed: I LOVE IT. I consider this into my personal continuity and I have showed it to a number of friends, all of whom responded very enthusiastically.

What should you change: Instead of the car saying that this is a re-edit, show Kal-El traveling in space, and insert there from Donner's II the line about the clothing being from his mother, using Brando again :))). Then, show Smallville scenes, condensed, Lana, Brad, then Clark talking with his father, just as he says "you are here for a reason". Then show Clark and Martha's goodbye, and then move on to the stars and your new credits.

When the Nuclear Man destroys stuff, have Superman show up later, a little before he says "stop, you win", to show that Supes wasn't inactive when Nuclear Man was doing all these stuff.

When Luthor's returned, remove "Mozart's back" and place, from another movie, "He's back" or something - the Mozart reference doesn't really work if you think about it - and I've seen you defending that move. Anyway, remove that line, and have the song simply be an annoyance to Luthor, which it is actually.

Maybe show Lenny go to that reform school, wouldn't be too bad, just cut Lenny's lines entirely.

Well, thats the proposals. What do you think?

well, batman, how about: wait.

Interesting ideas. I recommend you take your hand at Womble and give 'em a shot.

just watched your hybrid cut yesterday and it was fantastic!

...and watched the "feed the babies" v2 cut last week, too!

next up is redeemed and i'm pretty excited about that one too. :)

just wanted to leave you a note saying thanks and to let you know how much your edits are appreciated.

do you have any plans on making a quadrilogy-in-one type edit? - that is so trendy right now ;)

Heh ... no, I'm pretty happy with what I have now. They're not 100% perfect, but they'll do until the HD format war shakes out. Or until Bryan Singer releases the Return to Krypton footage. Until then, I'll just watch what I've done.

ADigitalMan said:
Interesting ideas. I recommend you take your hand at Womble and give 'em a shot.
I don't get it - you want me to edit your re-edits with my suggestions?

I wouldn't mind, though, if you give me your "blessing" that is.

Go for it ... if anybody wants to use one of my projects as a base for their own, I heartily encourage it. (Hal 9000 did this for his Saga, and of course I made use of Darth Editous' ANH when constructing the Hybrid Edition).

Just a little citation on the finished product would be nice.

perfect attitude ADM. Let's alsways head for the BEST version we can create, even including the great works of others. I am all for it.
And crediting should be always done. It is the least to respect the ones you took your inspiration from.

ADigitalMan said:
Go for it ... if anybody wants to use one of my projects as a base for their own, I heartily encourage it. (Hal 9000 did this for his Saga, and of course I made use of Darth Editous' ANH when constructing the Hybrid Edition).

Just a little citation on the finished product would be nice.
Well, I guess I could do it... Well, I will do it!

Just not anytime soon - I have to prepare for my BF re-edit.

And don't worry, the citation will be there. :)

Thank you for allowing me to do this.

I'm still looking forward to the BF edit. You had some awesome ideas for it.

ADigitalMan said:
I'm still looking forward to the BF edit. You had some awesome ideas for it.
Thanks. Thats great to know! :D

Tell me, if you can recollect that is, was there any idea in particular that you liked the most?

I think I will start that one on Octomber, I think.

I liked the whole premise, frankly. I still have your original PM. Some of it will be easier to pull off than other parts, but it was an ambitious plan that would certainly cut out all the shit and rearrange & beef up the rest.

I never got the new set, and after Batman Begins I actually sold off all the Burton/Schumaker films from my collection. I figure I catch them on HBO enough for my own taste and they're otherwise dead to me, but you may indeed be able to save BF from oblivion.

And because nobody has attempted it, you should really put your greatest efforts into it. I think the plan is awesome.

MEM said:
Wow thx ADigitalMan for the immediate reply! Now i understand. thx again. i dont know how to edit. i hope u cld make a superman II LESTER/DONNER chronological cut. forget redundancies and inconsistencies! we just want all the scenes combined chronologically! how about that? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
I don't think that would be possible, considering how Lester and Donner have very different pictures of the chronology of the events in the film. In Donner's cut, Superman II takes place almost immediately after the first film; in Lester's cut, much more time has elapsed.

Some inconsistencies are apparent in the Hybrid Cut. (It's a minor nitpick in a brilliant edit, and I don't think there's anything ADigitalMan could have done about it.) Immediately after the first film, Lois figures out Superman = Clark, and they get sent off to Niagara Falls. Zod, Ursa, and Non are freed concurrently with events of the first film, then take a short trip to the moon and another short trip to Earth. Yet in the little time (a day or two?) it takes for this to happen, Lex Luthor has already been tried and sentenced (life plus 25 seems a little light, doesn't it?) and built his alpha wave tracker (which took "patience, invention, and skill") and the hologram projector used in his escape.

The timing on this thread being updated is very interesting.

Very interesting indeed.

This cryptic reply will make sense soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom