• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman II: The Hybrid Cut (By ADigitalMan)

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
*ding ding ding* T-HOPE wins the obscure reference prize.
It's from Mallrats right? Here's another great video:

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevin Smith is damn funny in person. Shame his movies haven't been lately.
Is that clip from something or just a random interview?

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's from the An Evening With Kevin Smith DVD. Good stuff, both installments.

Effingham

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta tellya -- I just DL'ed the torrent on this one and watched it.

It was FAR superior to the cinematic release, and even better than the Donner edit. It blew me away.

I almost hesitate to suggest this, but since someone else already has, let me add my voice to the "please do an edit where this is integrated into Superman I for just one long film. It would be soooooo spiff.

(BTW, I never could stand that whole sequence on the Moon. Even for a comic book film, it TOTALLY ruined the suspension of disbelief for me.)

Tony

jay_vicious

Reaction score
Trophy Points
loved it but i would have removed the scene where superman beats up the guy at the end... otherwise 5 out of 5 stars as usual ADM

Rojira

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even in the Donner Cut, I could never understand how the last scene in the bar worked:

Superman didn't turn back time that far, so why would the guy in the bar recognise Clark, why would the barman have just cleaned the place up if the previous event didn't occur?

Ironman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thoroughly enjoyed this edit - a vast improvement on Lester's cut and quite an improvement on the Donner/Thau cut, it flowed so much better than the Donner/Thau cut too. Well done ADM. :D

Criticisms? Well, only a few minor ones:

I'd dispense with the toilet flush sequence in the Fortress
I'd add back in a bit more of the encounter between Zod & Co and the cops
Perhaps ditch the final diner scene sequence, but what to replace it with?

A shame about the two sequences near the end (arctic police & guy outside lift) that had poor video and sound quality but that's not ADM's fault, he can only work with what he has access to. In fact the meeting with the guy outside the lift could be ditched if the final diner sequence was also removed.

But minor criticisms aside this cut really blew me away. Thank you ADM. :D

MEM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching the hybrid cut. My complaints are:

1) You should have included the scene right before superman throws the nuclear missle into the space (to make people remember where did that nuclear missle come from something like that)

2) You should HAVE included DONNER'S VERSION of superman revealing the secret to lois through lois firing blank bullet to superman AND REMOVE LESTER VERSION'S awful way where superman tripped and have his hand exposed to fire (which is very unsupermanlikely right?)

3) You should have included superman saving lois in niagra falls! very beautiful scene!

4) You should have included Lex Luthor's comment where the 3 villians didn't use the door to enter the daily planet. that was a very humourous monolog of Luthor.

In short, why don't u just simply merge all the scenes chronologically. as much as possible refrain from removing any scenes, just put them together chronologically (except the paris tower scene and the time travel scene by superman) everything else is fine.

I hope you will make an updated hybrid cut. we don't care if it's more than 2 1/2 hours as long as all the great scenes are there. thank you so much for reading my comment and suggestion. =)

Ironman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boy, don't you just hate it when people TELL you what you SHOULD HAVE done and just list all their perceived negative points with no constructive criticism whatsoever .........

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MEM said:
Just finished watching the hybrid cut. My complaints are:

1) You should have included the scene right before superman throws the nuclear missle into the space (to make people remember where did that nuclear missle come from something like that)
Most people should be able to recognize the scene. I cut it where I did so the shot of the earth would cut straight to the tail-fire. An artistic touch.

MEM said:
2) You should HAVE included DONNER'S VERSION of superman revealing the secret to lois through lois firing blank bullet to superman AND REMOVE LESTER VERSION'S awful way where superman tripped and have his hand exposed to fire (which is very unsupermanlikely right?)
That's the whole point of that scene. He doesn't know why he did something so bumbling, then Lois notes he wanted to with his heart, not his head. It's a beautiful scene.

Even Thau liked the pink bear scene better than the blank-bullets scene and fought to have it included via seamless branching.

MEM said:
3) You should have included superman saving lois in niagra falls! very beautiful scene!
And completely redundant to the Daily Planet jump. Some of the dialog is the same.

MEM said:
4) You should have included Lex Luthor's comment where the 3 villians didn't use the door to enter the daily planet. that was a very humourous monolog of Luthor.

In short, why don't u just simply merge all the scenes chronologically. as much as possible refrain from removing any scenes, just put them together chronologically (except the paris tower scene and the time travel scene by superman) everything else is fine.

I hope you will make an updated hybrid cut. we don't care if it's more than 2 1/2 hours as long as all the great scenes are there. thank you so much for reading my comment and suggestion. =)
I recommend making a Hybrid cut that will suit your own tastes. Superman II is turning into the next Phantom Menace where everybody is doing their own cut because everybody has a different opinion on how to rearrange it. The best way to make yourself happy on this is to try it yourself.

That said, I didn't just go splicing with a blindfold on. I tried a number of different ways to do this and many of the edits have to do with flow vs. redundancy.

MEM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow thx ADigitalMan for the immediate reply! Now i understand. thx again. i dont know how to edit. i hope u cld make a superman II LESTER/DONNER chronological cut. forget redundancies and inconsistencies! we just want all the scenes combined chronologically! how about that? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

The title will be Superman II: Lester/Donner Combo!

HAHA

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
who is we? I am happy with my hybrid cut.

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's important to know that I didn't know how to edit until I tried. It's only a hobby, so if I can do it, anybody who knows how to use a computer can. I've written a pretty extensive how-to guide that's posted on this site and elsewhere that tells you everything you need to know and more. All it takes is time, patience, and the will and you can do it.

Wellesfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought the Hybrid cut was wonderful and very satisfying. Absolutely superior to either the theatrical cut or the Donner cut.
Any chance of a large Dual Layer version release down the road?

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's already in DL. Some peeps have squashed it to SL or to Xvid but it's still out there in full resolution somewhere.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I received this comment by De MEco:

I think that the Hairdryer line should' ve stayed in. As well as the Daily Planet awning when Clark uses his heat vision to unfold it should have stay in also. "Freedom of the Press" line should've followed after "General...would you care to step outside?". Artic Police scene in it's entirety, Superman Destroys The Fortress should have stayed, blend all the best of Donner & Lester Metropolis fight footage as well as lose that memory erasing kiss. That's garbage.

Overall i'll grade you 94%!

Good Job!!
De Meco

P.S. : I wish someone can make a custom made 188 min. KCOP cut of Superman : The Movie, one disc with all the extras on the 2006 Ultimate Edition as well as widescreen in HD with DolbyTrue 6.0 audio.

hisier

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i was wondering, the scene with the eiffel tower that you used as the lynchpin for superman redeemed, is that scene also in this hybrid cut?

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, it was moved from SII to SRedeemed. I used the Donner opening to SII.

hisier

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for the reply. getting this now, thanks for your work.

and superman redeemed was ace, btw :)

Top Bottom