• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Supergirl (CW)

...and the newest Man of Steel....

Supergirl-TV-Superman-New-Costume.jpg

Thoughts on season one....

I really, really, really enjoyed this season despite being very uneven and taking some missteps here and there.

Supergirl is a tough show to sell to audiences.  Even though the character has been around for over 60 years, she really does not have a recognizable mythology compared to her cousin Superman.

You say Superman and people automatically think ...
--Clark Kent
--from Krypton
--Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, Perry White
--Lex Luthor, Brainiac, 
--Fortress of Solitude
--etc, etc, etc

You say Supergirl and people think..... ?

Not much.  

It does not help that even though Supergirl has had many different comic series over the decades, she has never been a big hit or portrayed consistently.... is she Superman's cousin or an alien protoplasm or an angel or whatever.... as for supporting cast or villains, forget about it.

So how do you create a tv show about Supergirl.   Well, in this instance, you take all the classic elements associated with Superman and transfer them to her.   And for the most part they worked.

The producers smartly capture the bright, corny but not too unbelievable tone of the Donner films and centred it around the amazing performance of Melissa Benoist.  She is PERFECT.  She is Chris Reeve level perfect.   Both as Kara Danvers and as Supergirl, this actress lights up the screen and steals your heart.  I love her.

The rest of the supporting cast ranges from good to exceptional.  In particular, Cat Grant.  I love her complexity and mentor relationship with Kara.   Supergirl's relationship with Cat, her sister Alex and Hank are the strength of the show.  And while I am not a big fan of Supergirl needing a team (like on Flash and Arrow), there is no denying their dynamic really drive the show.   As for her CatCo friends/team, it plays too soapy for my tastes and I quickly tired of the love triangle element.

The villains are mostly borrowed from Superman lore, and some worked better than others.  But I give kudos to the producers for using them and trying to make them look as much as possible like their comic incarnations, even if they did not always realistically pull it off.  The Big Bads from Krypton storyline sort of fizzled out towards the end, but I did enjoy the complexity of the relationship Kara shared with Astra.  As for Maxwell Lord, the Lex Luthor wannabe, he just did not work for me, but I think has more to do with casting than writing.

But all in all, much like the Flash, it is a good hearted show that puts the emphasis on FUN and I look forward to season two, especially now that it is moving to the CW and will be more connected to the other Berlanti shows.  :)

Season Two synopsis:

[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]
Now, in Season Two, Kara has left the safety of being Cat Grant’s assistant in order to figure out what she really wants to do, while as Supergirl she continues to work at the DEO., protecting the citizens of National City and searching for Jeremiah and Cadmus. Along the way, she will team up with Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) to battle new villains, as she strives to balance her personal life with her life as a superhero.
[/font]

musiced921 said:
bionicbob said:
...and the newest Man of Steel....

Supergirl-TV-Superman-New-Costume.jpg

There has been some negative reactions to that photo because Tyler actually indicated that he hadn't tried on the suit yet at the time this promo was released, hence the bad photoshop. 

Check out this photo of him on his first day: http://www.justjared.com/photo-gall...aves-day-on-supergirl-as-superman-filming-06/

(Photo gallery link)

First, holy hell, that is a horrible Super suit.. I am trying to put my finger on what exactly it is that offends me so, is it the fabric? the lack of red trunks? How horribly the fabric falls on the actor's body making him look dumpy? That all contributes to it, but I think the thing that really bothers me most is the neckline.. it looks unfinished, an afterthought.. like it wasn't made for Kal-El.. 

But that's all just window-dressing. After burning out at the beginning of S10 of Smallville, I haven't been able to muster up the fortitude to try any tv series comic heros, but I know it's only a matter of time before I do and this will be a good focal point to start with all the DC shows. It also doesn't help that Mrs. L8wrtr has an unhealthy, inexplicable hatred towards Supergirl. Perhaps it has something to do with her inconsistent and muddled past, and most likely whatever iteration my wife did see, I suspect was needlessly lame compared to how awesome Superman is.. I think she hates Supergirl for being very unsuper when compared to her cousin. I'll try and get her to watch this, but I suspect I may have to sneak while she's prepping school work or gone to bed. 

Essentially, if @"bionicbob" gives his stamp of approval, I know there's something worth it in there for me.

L8wrtr said:
First, holy hell, that is a horrible Super suit.. I am trying to put my finger on what exactly it is that offends me so, is it the fabric? the lack of red trunks? How horribly the fabric falls on the actor's body making him look dumpy? That all contributes to it, but I think the thing that really bothers me most is the neckline.. it looks unfinished, an afterthought.. like it wasn't made for Kal-El.. 

Funny, because I like the suit, but the fact is this photo was a composite of a mannequin and the actor's head. He's literally not wearing the costume in the image.

addiesin said:
L8wrtr said:

Funny, because I like the suit, but the fact is this photo was a composite of a mannequin and the actor's head. He's literally not wearing the costume in the image.

I should have been more specific, I was commenting on the actual photos of him in the link given by @"musiced921" Ironically, I think the photoshopped one looks better than the actual one. The strange fabric, the weird seams on the legs and chest and arm.. and the way it fits, and the strange neckline.. it just looks gawdawful to me. This just further pushes a ridiculously unneeded trend of trying to 'modernize' or otherwise make the suit seem cool and 'fresh'.  

The costume designer for Singer's Superman Returns summed it up greatly when she said no matter what, you're going to piss someone off when you do a new Superman suit. What shade of blue? What shade of red? Size of the S symbol.. the style of the boots, length of the cape, is there an S on the back of the cape? and so-on... the problem of course is that there is no single suit.. it's ebbed and flowed over the decades and medium, but up until Snyder's shit-show, the suit remained fairly consistent and iconic. Returns suit was an interesting confluence of several previous aspects of the suit and I thought was classic in its interpretation. Also as she noted, the design also needs to conform to the body type of the actor. A larger S would have looked a bit strange on Routh's frame, but was perfect on Reeve's frame. 

But since snyder, and the DC52 relaunch, I think they've been mutilating the suit, and this newest iteration is just as horrid to me. 

Now get off my lawn! :p

L8wrtr said:
I should have been more specific, I was commenting on the actual photos of him in the link given by @"musiced921" Ironically, I think the photoshopped one looks better than the actual one.
Well in that case, I'm sorry you don't like it. I think it's a good suit for TV, and matches Supergirl's suit closely enough, but that's just me. I think TV superhero costumes look really goofy outside of their respective shows (Arrow, Flash, Deathlok, Daredevil, etc), in photographs, but in their actual episodes I'm usually on board. Lighting, composition/framing, effects, and performance tend to help a lot. Why this isn't a problem for film costumes usually, I'm not yet sure, but I'd guess budget is to blame.

Now get off my lawn! :p

I'm gettin, I'm gettin.   :cry:

Look!  Up in the sky!!!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvzqZKYqQX0[/video]

Okay, I admit it... this sneak peak clip totally gave me the FEEEEEEELS!!!!   :heart: :D :heart: :)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtdK8un_VN0[/video]

I can taste the delicious cheese.  :D

I probably watched this clip five or six times now.....

How is it possible in less than 3 minutes the tv show gets more right than the recent two Man of Steel movies?

This instantly FEELS like Superman!

It the matter of seconds the producers establish Metropolis, the Daily Planet, a mild-mannered nice guy Clark Kent, a classic crisis, a heroic costume change, his relationship with Kara and some confident optimistic banter between the two!  LOVE IT!

bionicbob said:
It the matter of seconds the producers establish Metropolis, the Daily Planet, a mild-mannered nice guy Clark Kent, a classic crisis, a heroic costume change, his relationship with Kara and some confident optimistic banter between the two!  LOVE IT!

You couldn't be more right, this is exactly what I was hoping Superman on CW would be like.  It already got me daydreaming about him having his own show, but this should be the right boost to get Kara and the Supergirl show to be taken more seriously as a superhero show and not something that seemed to initially pander to the feminist movement.  It doesn't matter if it's a male or female, a superhero show should be about being a hero and not being reduced to what the original Supergirl trailers looked like.

Very psyched for this show to be back and on a network better suited for it.

Saw a couple of edits of this clip with the John Willaims theme attached. 

Zarius said:
Saw a couple of edits of this clip with the John Willaims theme attached. 

Nice.   :)

Though I must admit I really like the score work by Blake Neely on all the DC shows, especially on Supergirl.  I think its his best work and perfectly captures that much needed Inspirational Optimism a super hero theme should have.

another teaser trailer for episode one of the second season....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jszqOX0Q4c[/video]

Smile @ "I'm with her."

We all are, Superman. We all are. :D

Welcome Supergirl to SuperHero Fight Club 2.0....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NclF3dpBWkI[/video]

A fantastic second season premiere!  Light years better than the Arrow and Flash season openers.

The previous season cliffhanger was quickly dispatched in the teaser, with the reveal of the Kryptonian Pod occupant.   Though his plot was then quickly moved to the "C" category, to be resolved at a later date.   Though producers have already revealed the occupant is Mon-el, an important character from Superman lore and future member of the Legion of Super Heroes.  And since the Big Bad of the 4 DC Show crossover is the Legion villain aliens The Dominators, I am guessing he will play a pivotal role in the crossover.

(though if the pod person is Mon-el why didn't Superman recognize him since last season showed us Superman's Legion ring in his Fortress, shouldn't his past self know him from his future adventures??? Time travel -- so confusing LOL)

Tyler Hoechlin was pitch perfect as both Superman and Clark Kent.   He was confident, charming and heroic.  But he never over shadowed Supergirl.   The banter and big brother/mentor dialogue was warm and supportive and just right amount of humour.  (speaking of, lots of fun references to the Donnerverse movies... I smiled and laughed lots!!!)

I immediately liked Lena Luthor more than last season's Maxwell Lord.   Though the actress seem to have trouble maintaining her American accent in the episode.

The producers set the stage for Cat Grant's departure from the show for next episode in a believable way.   Though the energy and dynamic she brings to the show will be deeply missed and I doubt can be equally replaced.

The jump from CBS to the CW does not seemed to have hurt the show.  The VFX look as good as ever.   Though clearly National City looks a bit different.  No more palm trees or dessert foothills, welcome to the Vancouver rainforest.

The only awkward course correction in the episode was the sudden dissolvement of the Kara/Jimmy romance.   But I am happy with this development, as it was unneeded for the show.  Though what dramatic purpose will Jimmy serve other than as a love interest? lol  I thought maybe they were going to write him out like Cat Grant, but I read today producers are going to make him into the superhero Guardian.

But other than that, the show was exceptionally strong  and Kara'a arc was well done as she comes to terms with the next stage of her future -- REPORTER!!!   Love it!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGui-rTJYxk[/video]

Back
Top Bottom