• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Supergirl (CW)

Zarius said:
Anyone seen the leaked pilot yet?

I had a blast with it last night. Really fun. You get more things done in ten minutes than it took Smallville in ten f'ing years

Thanks for the heads up. I got this and watched it with my daughter. We both really enjoyed it. I like the girl playing the lead quite a bit. It probably skews a bit young but I can see this show being pretty popular.

I got it earlier today. Mom and I are gonna watch it tonight.

It's a pretty clumsy pilot, but I'm definitely down for more. Some great moments and heart in the right place. Roll on November.

Mom and I watched it last night. It was really cute. Supergirl being a government operative is an interesting take. (In my fanfics from the early 2000s, she was made a Chicago police officer by the reasoning of "Well, you're gonna do this anyway".)

The Afterlife with Archie story definitely did NOT work. It's like a pitch-meeting joke, kinda like the joke from Altman's The Player ("It's 'Ghost' meets 'The Manchurian Candidate'!") All jokes like that are funnier in a brainstorming session than on a finished page, despite Francesco Francavilla's great artwork (what a waste of talent).

Also, geek culture's obsession with zombies needs to stop. No one cares anymore.

The show is about 8 episodes in and I was wondering what people are thinking?

IMO, Laura Vandervoort was a better Supergirl on Smallville, but Melissa Benoist is doing a pretty good job.  The confidence thing is a little tough because I know she is supposed to grow into the character, but I always thought of Kara as being a little brash and more outgoing.

Jimmy, I mean James Olsen is a strange character.  He spends more time fawning over Superman and always referring to him like he has nothing else to contribute.  It's very jarring especially since Kara should be learning stuff on her own without there always needing a reference to the Man of Steel whom we will never see in this show.  I wish it was a plot point that he wasn't around as if he left for reasons unknown.  Maybe he went to look for Krypton like Superman Returns and Kara fills the void he left because why else would Superman leave Supergirl to fend for herself?

The highlight for me was this past week because during the earthquake Hank Henshaw revealed
he is indeed Martian Manhunter.  I started thinking he would be, but his scene where he reveals himself to Alex was awesome.  I just hope if this ever crosses over with Arrow and Flash that Supergirl and J'onn would have their own Justice League TV event.

Would love to hear some thoughts from the community!

I kept meaning to start a thread about this show, so I am glad you beat me to it.

It is a really enjoyable show, much in the same vein as the Flash, it is bright, fun and optimistic. Just as any show about the sons and daughters of Krypton should be.

I must disagree though, I think Benoist is far superior to Vandervoort as both Kara and Supergirl. The issue I had with Smallville's Kara is she stepped out of her rocket ship and immediately assimilated into the culture with few or any issues. It just never felt quite right to me.

Benoist on the other hand I find to be a complete joy to watch. I actually believe she is playing two different characters at times. While not quite channelling Reeve's bumbling Clark Kent persona, I think her performance of balancing awkward but competent is fantastic. And then when she is Supergirl, she projects a real strength and power. It is a great acting feat. Unlike Flash or Arrow, I totally buy her secret identity more.

Also love the antagonist/mentor relationship she has with Cat Grant. It has developed very nicely and quickly in these 9 episodes, adding some much needed depth and warmth to the character. Though on a side note, it is unfortunate that another super talented actress has succumbed to the Hollywood pressure of cosmetic surgery.... sigh.....

James Olsen.... well yeah, I totally agree with you. But really, wasn't that always Jimmy's role... worshiping and helping Superman...lol. Don't care too much for the soapy Lucy Lane subplot..... I wonder how long before Jimmy, sorry I mean James gets exposed to some chemical or magic thingie and gains crazy super powers.... lol

Win Schott... totally friend zoned lol. Of course he is the super hacker character than every show must have these days... lol. And quite a costume maker too apparently. Though it probably makes sense since I am assuming right now that his evil-in-jail Dad is the Superman villain Toyman????

With the Hank Henshaw reveal of being Martain Manhunter and not the Superman Cyborg, I wonder if Dean Cain will then become the classic villain?

Since these are the same producers behind Arrow and Flash, they obviously know how to make a successful superhero show. However, I sort feel they played it too safe and followed their game play book too faithfully. They immediately gave Kara a full support team, (two teams actually, I mean does she really need a second base of operations in the Catco building? And where did Winn get all the high tech equipment?) again with almost everyone knowing her true identity. I really wish they had not gone this route again. I rather see Kara be more independent. It made me so happy to see her how to figure how to stop Red Tornado (that was an awful costume imo) without her sister or Hank advising her in her earphone.

That said, I think the Fort Rozz subplot is a cool idea, and Supergirl's aunt being her General Zod has cool potential.

The guy cast as Lex Luthor... I mean Maxwell Lord, is terrible imo. He comes across more as a douche than a scheming scientific mastermind. Though the meeting between him and Supergirl was lifted almost beat for beat from the Superman comics and the Lois and Clark pilot. I also think he has Lord's telepathic abilities... the way Alex confided in him, it was almost like he psionically prodded her. Time will tell....

But overall, a very fun show so far with a very engaging and likeable cast. :thumb:

I wonder if Winn will be almost playing the Tommy role from Arrow and meet a similar fate.

Love the angle of Kara working with a secret government agency way more than her Jimmy/Win team. Having J'onn as her mentor would be waaaaaaay better than Jimmy always comparing her to Superman.

I think what's missing from this show is that it does feel too safe. Not much seems edgy and I don't mean with violence, but every episode ends with a little bow on top unlike Flash and Arrow. There does not seem to be many consequences for her actions where every episode of Flash and Arrow essentially leads into the next one. I feel like as the show progress this season it will get better.

Let's be honest, a lot of people did not like Shield when it began, but by the end, those who stuck with it got a great payoff and I personally love it now.

I don't know of Fort Rozz, so I need to Wikipedia that. Red Tornado did look a bit strange, but outside of the Justice League I never encountered him in my nerdom travels.

Dean Cain as Cyborg Superman would be really cool!

Side note: Avoid the click bait about there being a crossover with the Arrowverse. Kreisberg said just days ago that it's not their plans right now and balancing Arrow, Flash and Legends is hard enough without adding a fourth player.

I'm telling you.....Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter together for even a 1 off 2-parter or movie length episode would soar in ratings.

wpid-wp-1431753536683.jpeg

Supergirl-Martian-Manhunter-Hank-Henshaw.jpg

Winter season finale and one of the best episodes thus far as all the various plot threads begin to intertwine.

The emotional struggle of Kara comes boiling over this episode and was heartbreaking. What I love about Supergirl compared to her cousin, is she left Krypton not as a infant but a young girl, thus she remembers Krypton, remembers her culture, and most importantly, remembers her family. And the struggle of coming to terms of that her parents sent her away, no matter how logically it makes sense, still tears at her emotionally. Unlike Kal-el, Kara has to deal with a lot more baggage, especially survivors guilt and abandonment issues. So this arc of the show I completely love and applaud the writers.

***SPOILER WARNINGS***
Astra is up her evil manipulative ways, even though you can sympathize with her, as she was right, Krypton was doomed. But do the ends justify the means? Are they going to go the Malcom Merlyn route with this character? It is interesting, that they have made her husband Non even more blatantly EVIL. Though I wonder if that undermines a show about female empowerment?

I am so happy Jimmy and Winn buried the Kara jealousy hatchet, as that was getting soapy boring real fast. It would be funny if they develop a Bromance after this.... lol.

Speaking of, I loved the banter between Henshaw and Alex, especially his matter of fact comment about having telepathy. and her facial reaction... lol

The FX were pretty strong, the flying sequences always seem the weakest, but this episode all was awesomeness, especially the cliffhanger battle.

But the big moment of the episode is of course between Kara and Cat (they have become the heart of the show the same way Barry and Joe have on the Flash), as Cat figures out Kara' secret identity.... a truly great and smart scene. How will the producers play this out? On their other shows, once an identity is exposed it stays exposed... but with the telepathy reveal, they could also have J'onn wipe her memory?

bionicbob said:
But the big moment of the episode is of course between Kara and Cat (they have become the heart of the show the same way Barry and Joe have on the Flash), as Cat figures out Kara' secret identity.... a truly great and smart scene.

That scene confused me. Cat already knew Kara was Supergirl. Remember what she said when she met Supergirl for the interview? "Oh, it's you. I mean 'Who are you?!'"

bionicbob said:
How will the producers play this out? On their other shows, once an identity is exposed it stays exposed... but with the telepathy reveal, they could also have J'onn wipe her memory?

I seriously hope not. That would be extremely unethical, much like Clark's mind-wipe of Lois in Superman II or Clark taking away Lois' handwritten note on Lois & Clark.

Besides, I don't get Kara's "We've got a problem" reaction. It seems quite obvious from this scene that Cat is on Kara's side.

It's official.

The Flash will guest star on Supergirl. The episode is scheduled to air March 28th. :)

This show continues to get better and better.

When I heard they were going to do an adaptation of the classic Superman story, "The Man Who Has Everything", I was very curious how they were going to do this....

As a Supergirl episode, it was excellent. Jammed packed and pushing the storyline to a new, higher level.

As an adaptation, I thought it was decent, though a bit lacking in impact. The story needed more of Krypton, the audience needed to see Kara happy longer and living her dream life, so when she awakens, you could feel her pain and loss more. It also bothered me that Kara had to be rescued by Alex from the dream state rather than her resolving the situation by herself. Also, sort of missed that they did not used the classic "BURN!" dialogue, but as my daughter pointed out, that would probably be too extreme for Supergirl.

Justice League Unlimited did an outstanding adaptation of this story....

I'm glad to see a thread for this show! I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Lisa Benoit is terrific in the role, and Callista Flockhart's character is an interesting mix of mentor and antagonist.

musiced921 said:
It's very jarring especially since Kara should be learning stuff on her own without there always needing a reference to the Man of Steel whom we will never see in this show.

Actually, that's one of my favorite things about the show so far. The problem with Supergirl as a character that's plagued her since her inception is that she's always in Superman's shadow. It's great to have female heroes, but she wasn't an original character created from scratch; she's "Superman, but this time it's a girl." Audiences have always been more interested in Superman stories overall. And previous TV and movie adaptations have not been able to overcome this problem.

So the producers wisely built this conflict directly into the show itself. The whole series is about Kara trying to prove to herself and to others that she has value, too, and that she contributes significantly to the universe she lives in. And the series is showing us that she indeed does.

The show isn't perfect, certainly. The love triangle is kind of cliched, and considering that Winn is handsome, charismatic and available, Kara's rejection of him makes little to no sense. He should have at least some flaw to explain her lack of interest.

Also,
I was very happy when Cat found out Kara's secret identity. Considering how smart Cat is supposed to be, she needed to figure it out quickly, and considering how often Kara misses work, I thought it would be useful if her boss understood the reasons. But, no, this great plot development got hand-waved away in the very next episode, which was extremely disappointing. And it was very convenient that he just happened to meet a shape-shifter right before she needed one (although the reveal of Martian Manhunter itself was pretty great).

There have also been a number of plot holes. For instance, in "Bizarro": If Kryptonite made Bizarro stronger, why did she suddenly fly away from the fight she was winning? And when Kara's words didn't convince Bizarro that she was wrong, why did she apologize in the end after she was subdued?

Furthermore, as of "For the Girl Who Has Everything," the DEO has now captured Maxwell Lord, someone who's as famous as Donald Trump or Bill Gates. Cat runs a major news organization in the city where Lord lives. How is it that no one is covering the news that Maxwell Lord is suddenly missing? Even though they wouldn't know about the DEO, his sudden disappearance should be generating massive headlines.

Also, how did Lord not have security cameras on his office so that someone could prevent potential kidnappers? And why didn't Alex wear something to cover her face when she broke into the office so that no one could identify her?

Didn't I say I liked this show? Yes, I do. It's got a breezy, light tone that I thoroughly enjoy, while it builds up to a more epic storyline. I enjoy all the actors, and both the heroes and villains on this show are interesting to watch. It may not always fire on all cylinders, but when I does, I enjoy it more than Agents of SHIELD or Agent Carter, which is saying something.

I'm glad that the show is being brought into the larger DC television universe. I didn't catch Flash or Arrow when they started, and now I've got a good reason for going back and watching them!

In anticipation of the Flash guest appearance on Supergirl next month, a very talented editor created this cool promo....

Lots of Super-Lore in this episode, though my favourite was the visit to the Fortress of Solitude....

It seemed to be an amalgam of the Donnerverse and Silver Age... though based on what we have seen of Kara's Krypton, not sure why the Fortress interior would be ice crystal? Regardless, it was cool seeing some classic comic imagery come to life such as the statues of Jor-el and Lara holding Krypton, the gold key and the Legion of Super-Heroes flight ring (I wonder if this connects back to the Flash episode where this image was teased also...?).

bionicbob said:
In anticipation of the Flash guest appearance on Supergirl next month, a very talented editor created this cool promo....

Wow. SUPER nice job on that!

This is almost the last of the super hero TV shows I am watching now. As I get older, I find my Geek-fanboy urges slowing. I still like reading old comics from the 1970s and earlier and I have a pretty good collection of Pulp related comics, TPBs and ggraphic novels. In my younger days, I probably would be all over every one of these shows. Funny thing is the kids probably aren't really the main audience. They're all upstairs in the virtual world. But I digress...

I wasn't impressed with season one of Arrow when he was a flat out murderer and I find Arrow and Flash burdened with overly melodramatic acting. And what can I say about Gotham except that it is way over the top.

Supergirl still holds my attention. I guess the acting is a bit better and the characters more engaging. Don't know how much longer I will hold on though.

I love The Flash's first season, but I feel like they're repeating themselves just a tad with the second season, and yes the melodrama is irksome, but is typical of CW's output. I find the shows would be so much better with stable relationships.

Very impressed with the Martian Manhunter visuals and origin story last night, though the whole story felt very, very rushed.
And why can't J'onn just mind read the location of Project Cadmus from Harper? Or did he???

I also predict the real Hank Henshaw is not dead and we will get our Cyborg Superman in the near future.

Anyway, very excited for next weeks Flash crossover episode....

For those who missed season one, here's a recap.... lol

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcEJ10Z8JJA[/video]

So in other season two news....

With the production move from LA to Vancouver, Calista Flockhart's role has not been clarified, though actor Ian Gomez has been cast as Snapper Carr, the chief editor for Catco.... 

Superman joins the cast this season in the form of actor Tyler Hoechlin.

It is also rumoured that in the Kryptonian pod from the cliffhanger with be the comic character of MON-EL.

And finally, is Maxwell Lord out and Lena Luthor in?

Back
Top Bottom