• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (SPOILERS Thread)

^yep. >.<

At least its that way if you select Amazon as the provider. You might want to try Google Play instead.

The "How It Should Have Ended" channel on YouTube took a break from their usual animations on Apr. 1 to do this skillful bit of fan editing, reimagining the training scene from Kill Bill as a scene from The Force Awakens:

TV said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
sigh, I'm pretty annoyed with this Target edition. The exclusive content is 20 minutes of bonus features (not really clear on what), but the download goes through amazon video and everything is in one giant 4.5 hour video that I can apparently only stream. Google Play is apparently another option, but once you choose you can't change. If anyone has any better luck on Google, I'd love to hear about it.

Wait...so the exclusive content is 20 minutes embedded somewhere within a 4.5 hour video?  And presumably you have to fast forward until you find it?

My wife ordered from Target specifically to get that extra content...she's not gonna be happy.

I've got the Target edition. If you use Disneymoviesanywhere.com you can view all the content as separate videos. The exclusive content appears to be a 8 min documentary about the weapons props and a nearly 12 minute interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. Also, with the Disneymoviesanywhere account you can link the content to other online accounts you may have like iTunes or Amazon Prime and it will be available through those services as well, but perhaps not all parsed out into separate videos like it is on Disneymoviesanywhere.

I'm bummed that the deleted scenes all have a timecode running in the upper left, and that they are not complete scenes. I was originally hoping to do an extended edition fan edit using those scenes. But now, not so much...

I've got the Target edition. If you use Disneymoviesanywhere.com you can view all the content as separate videos. The exclusive content appears to be a 8 min documentary about the weapons props and a nearly 12 minute interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. Also, with the Disneymoviesanywhere account you can link the content to other online accounts you may have like iTunes or Amazon Prime and it will be available through those services as well, but perhaps not all parsed out into separate videos like it is on Disneymoviesanywhere.

Unfortunately, they don't tell you any of that before hand. If you don't have a Disney account or aren't signed in, once you make your service selection you can't change it. So, I'm stuck with a 4.5 hour video clip that I can only stream on Amazon.

I'm bummed that the deleted scenes all have a timecode running in the upper left, and that they are not complete scenes. I was originally hoping to do an extended edition fan edit using those scenes. But now, not so much...

I'm not surprised at all. The early descriptions of deleted scenes all sounded pretty insignificant or smart deletions. Every scene (except Kylo searches the Falcon) was either a short throw-away or had unfinished CGI. Even if the snow chase was finished, it wasn't very good. Extending the movie by a couple minutes wouldn't make it better.

ThrowgnCpr said:
 Extending the movie by a couple minutes wouldn't make it better.

The "Kylo inside the Falcon" scene can bring a little more connection between him and his father.
I would say that anything that can make Han's final scene more personal and dramatic is welcomed and that scene could add a little something

TMBTM said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
 Extending the movie by a couple minutes wouldn't make it better.

The "Kylo inside the Falcon" scene can bring a little more connection between him and his father.
I would say that anything that can make Han's final scene more personal and dramatic is welcomed and that scene could add a little something

I don't disagree, and as I noted, this was the only deleted scene that was interesting. However, adding the others just for the sake of making the movie longer would detract from the film, IMO.

Honestly, I've heard very few proposed changes to the film that would improve it.

TM2YC said:
Can anybody confirm if the US Blu-Ray is region-free or not? I'm reading conflicting things from the usual websites.

Why yes it is TM2YC. My copy arrived from the US of A this morning (Not out 'til monday in the UK) and I can confirm it is fully region-free on both Blu-Ray discs (The DVD is R1 locked though... a handy SW themed coaster?). Hope that helps?

It helps a lot, thanks TM2YC.

:D

The bonus material is pretty kickass IMO given the short turn around on this package. I'll happily double dip on a possible Deluxe Edition in a years time as I think I got my money's worth on this release. Although I haven't actually watched the film itself yet to judge the image quality.

Abrams said last night that Rey's parents were not in Ep. 7. This makes me very happy knowing she's not (at least directly) related to the big 3 of the OT.

So I finally got a chance to watch the movie for a second time last night.

While I liked it the first time, I was taken off guard by some things not being quite like what I was hoping or expecting. I did enjoy it more this time around knowing what to expect. 

I rarely felt bored or annoyed this time. I even enjoyed the Rathtar sequence. This seems just like the type of trouble that Han Solo would get himself into. And without the sequence, Chewbacca doesn't get injured, Rey doesn't take over co-piloting the Falcon, Han doesn't offer her a job, and it doesn't make sense for her to inherit the co-pilot role (because I assume Chewbacca is the owner and main pilot now).

I didn't mind the retro callbacks. The only one where I thought it went too far was for Han to say, "Is there a garbage disposal nearby ... or a TRASH COMPACTOR?" Yeah, we get it, Han. One could cut that last part of the line and it would still make sense and work just fine.

Other random thoughts:

I seem to recall someone in this forum saying that Rey knew how to pilot the Falcon because, having been "adopted" by Unkar Plutt, she would have flown in the ships in his junkyard before. (Or maybe I'm remembering what people said wrong.) But after the escape, Rey tells Finn that she's never flown this ship until now. They're both excitedly talking over one another, so it's hard to tell without having the subtitles on (which I did).

Still, that doesn't make her a Mary Sue. She has a lot of trouble piloting the Falcon at first, and keeps bumping it and knocking it into things. It's like someone who's mechanically inclined driving automatic transmission for their whole lives, suddenly being put behind stick shift. She gradually gets better. Yes, she and Finn congratulate each other on what a great job they did, but I think the implied thing is "...under the circumstances."

It's interesting that the accepted lore among all fans is that Kylo Ren killed all the other Jedi, but the line is not directly said in the film. The belief about the Jedi massacre comes from Han's line, "(Luke) was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice, turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible… He walked away from everything." (my emphasis) While this is probably splitting hairs, his statement may mean that others escaped and went into hiding. The Order is no more, but it's not explicitly said that everyone else is dead. 

I've heard people say (elsewhere, not on this forum) that Chewbacca doesn't react strongly enough to Han's death, in terms of trying to kill Kylo. But here's what he does: He shoots an arrow at Kylo. When it doesn't kill him, Chewbacca steps back (likely realizing that Kylo could kill Chewie with the Force if he wanted to). He then kills a whole mess of stormtroopers before setting off the nuclear detonators that destroy nearly the entire base. 

Also, the sequence of the trench run didn't bother me as much this time. It was much shorter than I remembered. 

I still wish we had seen more of the people on the planet that got blown up. (And even though five planets were destroyed, we only saw the inhabitants of one.) Even one extra two-minute scene on the Republic homeworld would have helped, so we would have known and cared about the people there. To be fair, what we get is still longer than what we got for Alderaan in ANH.

So, there are some random thoughts from my rewatch. I may never get the movie that I was hoping for, but the movie that this is, is very enjoyable and worth seeing again. There really isn't much that I even want to edit out of it.

I have confirmed that you can watch the Target exclusive extra features individually if you use Disney Movies Anywhere.  Sorry, Throwing [REDACTED]face.

Are we even sure that Rey doesn't know who her parents are?
I don't remember every lines of dialogue (yet!) but to me she is waiting for her "family" to come back. And that's pretty much all we know, except some partial flashes in her vision.
So, several possiblities:
- She knows who her family are and she'll just tell it in a line of dialogue in Ep8. No big deal of a plot.
- She does not remember who her family are and in this case,  if the character learns it at the same time as the audience it means that it should be a big plot in the story. 
- Maybe she uses the word "family" for something else than describing her parents.

In any case she looks sad when Maz tells her that it's obvious they will never come back (how Maz knows that it's for sure anyway...hint, hint?) so my guess is that she at least remembers her "family" enough to know that she loved them. But why abandonning her on that hell of a planet and at the hands of Unkar Plutt?

ThrowgnCpr said:

At least I didn't say they were worth watching.

Haven't watched them yet.

Good point, TMBTM. We don't know who her parents are, but she probably does. Otherwise, why should she be waiting for them?

I guess I've figured she's had a partial memory wipe because of all the things she can do well even though she doesn't remember doing them before.

Even at that, the filmmakers were careful to show that she had some issues doing those things perfectly. Watching the lightsaber duel again, it was much clearer that Finn and Rey don't perfectly just knock Kylo down. Yes, he's wounded and off his game, but he's more than holding his own. Finn gets sliced up so badly that he doesn't even wake up by the end of the movie, and if the earthquake hadn't separated them, even Force-sensitive Rey might not have lasted indefinitely. 

I do think there's going to be a big reveal regarding Rey's parents, or the filmmakers would have just told us outright who they are (or just not mentioned them. Nobody's talking about Poe's parents because they haven't been made important to the story). But it's not necessarily a Skywalker or a Solo. Heck, maybe Snoke is her dad. That would fit the "rhyming" scheme of these movies.

Back
Top Bottom