• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rogue One

Gaith said:
TVs Frink said:
I don't think it ruined anything.

How much darker would TFA's backstory have to be to until you said it ruined our Big Three's post-RotJ lives?

I meant it didn't ruin them as characters and it didn't ruin their story.  Things change.  Having your life ruined is an interesting character development.  Reality hits you hard, bro.

Gaith said:
TVs Frink said:
I don't think it ruined anything.

How much darker would TFA's backstory have to be to until you said it ruined our Big Three's post-RotJ lives?
They had decades of life before the new film, and like life, some things were good and some things were bad, but more importantly, to have a new story with old characters there had to be some conflict. There is no story without conflict. If it was a perfect happy ending and the galaxy is a utopia now, what could possibly happen?

Claiming the new film ruined their lives is taking a nitpick about the film's need for things not to be perfect quite far. Personally I wouldn't say that unless they actually ruined their lives. For example: 
Due to the power vacuum caused by defeating the Empire, Leia took over as interim galactic president but was unceremoniously assassinated before free elections began and was replaced with a worse president who effectively became the next emperor. Han Solo, deeply depressed, went back to grimy space bars to drink his feelings away, but this time with nearly unlimited reward money and inheritance from his now dead wife's life insurance. Chewie, bound by life debt, couldn't help at all and had to basically watch his best friend waste away, but eventually died of stomach issues when someone fed him space chocolate. Lastly, Luke was haunted with space PTSD, which caused him to lose control over the force, with long periods of near catatonic inactivity interspersed with sudden violent power bursts that forced those around him to shim him into exile, where he died alone from a minor infection around his hand stump's scar tissue that would have been treatable if only someone somewhere remembered and acknowledged the service he provided and cared enough to check on him occasionally.

Next you'll tell me RotS didn't ruin Anakin and Padme's AotC marriage! :huh:

Trick statement. You're implying AotC didn't ruin something in AotC.

@ Frink: So you do agree TFA ruined their lives, but we agree to disagree on whether that made for a good story, bro. ;)

@ addiesin: yeah, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between your dark backstory and TFA's. Han's only kid becomes a school shooter, who then murders millions in a sneak attack, and then murders him, while Luke absolutely appears completely miserable. That's not "not quite perfect", a strawman argument I never asked for, that's pretty freaking dark, man.

Gaith said:
^ So you do agree TFA ruined their lives, but we agree to disagree on whether that made for a good story, bro. ;)

I don't want to speak for Addie, but I don't think he said that at all, and I certainly don't think that TFA ruined their lives. Conflict and reality is quite a bit different than ruination. The story was rich, and interesting, and I'll take that any day over everything is perfect forever, la la la la la.

I made my point, and tried to bring up points for discussion. If you choose to ignore it and call it a straw man argument you never asked for, rather than consider it and respond with some thought, then I'm not wasting more of my time on you.

addiesin said:
I'm not wasting more of my time on you.

d0pIHK2iS.gif

@Throw: I corrected the "^" to "@Frink" when I saw the new post in between.

@Frink: and yet, you keep playing, time after time, week after week... ;)

ThrowgnCpr said:
The story was rich, and interesting, and I'll take that any day over everything is perfect forever, la la la la la.

Again, straw man argument. "Had to be some conflict" does not equate to "had to completely ruin the Big Three's lives" - infinite possibilities in infinite storytelling. Maybe you think JJ and Co. came up with that super-dark backstory because they honestly thought it was the best they could come up with, and if so, that's cool. Myself, I think it's just another instance of JJ lazily recycling plot points that came before, just as he did pretty much everywhere else in the movie. But that's an artistic opinion, whereas I find the TFA backstory so dark that to say "eh, some good years, some bad years" is objectively wrong. But that, too, is just, my opinion, man. ;)

If I were dating a woman, and then somehow learned beyond any doubt that if I stayed with her, in thirty years our only kid would become a school shooter and murderer of millions who'd then murder me, I certainly wouldn't think "eh, some good, some bad"; I'd think, "holy cow, that sounds horrible, better break up with this woman now, painful as it may be in the short term, and find someone else later, and maybe not have any kids, ever!" Wouldn't you?! :-/

Gaith said:
@Frink: and yet, you keep playing, time after time, week after week... ;) 

I never said I wasn't a flawed person.

If I were dating a woman, and then somehow learned beyond any doubt that if I stayed with her, in thirty years our only kid would become a school shooter and murderer of millions who'd then murder me, I certainly wouldn't think "eh, some good, some bad"; I'd think, "holy cow, that sounds horrible, better break up with this woman now, painful as it may be in the short term, and find someone else later, and maybe not have any kids, ever!" Wouldn't you?! :-/

When did Han learn this exactly?  I must have missed that crucial scene in ROTJ all these times I've watched it.

TVs Frink said:
When did Han learn this exactly?  I must have missed that crucial scene in ROTJ all these times I've watched it.

He didn't, but what does that matter? If in life, as addie says, "some things are good and some things are bad", and if, as Throw says, TFA certainly (in his opinion) "didn't ruin their lives", it stands to reason that if Han had learned all this, he probably would've gone along with it all, figuring that that life was worth its ups and downs, yeah?   :p

That makes zero sense, so I'm going to take my own advice and stop humoring you.

Q2 said:

Cool! I did actually check the IMDB page for Rogue One before I posted that, and searched for Mon Mothma in the credits but came up with nothing. I just checked again and it's there now.

She's maybe a bit too young to play Mon Mothma in this movie, no?

It obviously depends how much time there is between Rogue One and Episode 4. 
To me it should be days or weeks, but in this case it would mean that the Mon Mothma we see in Return of the Jedi is about 4 years older than in Rogue One. And no disrespect to the actress who played her in ROTJ, but she looked quite older than that.

So I was wondering if Rogue One Could be set WAY before Episode 4? Is there already an official timeline for Rogue One?

She looks the part anyways. Not complaining, just wondering.

TMBTM said:
So I was wondering if Rogue One Could be set WAY before Episode 4? Is there already an official timeline for Rogue One?

Well, it takes between ROTS and ANH. Luke was 17 or 18 in 4, so that means it's probably a year or two before that. My guess it 15 years after ROTS and 2 before ANH.

TMBTM said:
She's maybe a bit too young to play Mon Mothma in this movie, no?

Aren't you a little short for a Senator?

To be fair I just rewatched pictures of Mon Mothma in ROTJ and she does not look as old as I remembered...
I guess it means I'm getting old too, lol.

I could see a gap of 6 years between her in Rogue One and her in ROTJ (responsabilities make you age faster!)

If my calculations are correct...

- Caroline Blakiston was 49 when ROTJ was filmed.
- There was 4 year gap between SW and ROTJ.
- So the R1 Mon Mothma should be 44-ish?
- Genevieve O'Reilly is 39.

So it's only a few years out. It's a younger actor sir but it checks out.

Also the knowledge of many Bothans dying probably added a few worry lines ;) .

EDIT: Damnit TMBTM beat me to the same joke by a couple of minutes.

mothra in a star wars movie? thought i'd never.

mothravsgodzilla.jpg

I must say I'll be a trifle disappointed if this doesn't take place hours (or less) before ANH.

I wonder if Jyn is carrying the plans as we see her run towards the AT-ATs. It does say in the crawl that the plans were stolen during a battle but I always figured it was a spacebattle.

I generally don't care for reaction video, but Father Roderick is awesome. His reaction for TFA was fantastic and this one equally so.

(If you want to skip ahead of his "stuck in traffic" opening start the video around 1:07.)

When I watched the trailer my jaw dropped at Mon Mothma. I thought it was some crazy cgi trickery at first. But looking at the two actresses I see they just cast someone who looked really close already and did a great hair and makeup job. 

Monmothma.jpg
Star_Wars_Rogue_One_123237.jpg

Back
Top Bottom