• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

I saw that a couple of days ago; it's pretty funny.

What's weird is that I see a lot of people commenting like, "Yeah! See? THAT'S how you do it, Disney!" But I think the whole point of the gag is that it's become impossible to please fans or predict what they want -- hence the whole "Are you happy now?!?!?" thing.

^^ That was hilarious. :D

On the subject of crawls, I plugged the eight existing ones into Botnik to see what it might predict for Episode IX...

Episode IX
THE REPUBLIC LEGIONS

The evil First Order has secretly begun construction of the clones of both ruthless Sith Lord Darth Vader and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.  The Supreme Leader Snoke now has returned from the ashes to destroy the galaxy.

Leia has been destroyed.  As the resistance fighters stand against the rising tyranny of the clones, the Guardians of the Galaxy has established a new gangster world.   

There are heroes on a desperate mission to destroy the last band of Naboo battleships to rescue Skywalker and restore his friend Han Solo to the galaxy.....

I'd actually be completely on board with this plot, honestly.

TM2YC said:
If anybody can pull it off then Meryl can but why did they do this? I thought they had some clever plan to get around not have Leia. If they didn't then why didn't they hastily have Leia die in the scene where she dies and have Luke not die in the scene where he didn't have to die. Change all the mentions of Leia in the Ep9 script to Luke and it's done (Not that I didn't think Luke's death wasn't a brilliant sequence in TLJ).

"Clever plan"? Lucasfilm? Did ya see the last two Episodes? :p It's too late for that in any case, and removing Leia from parts of TLJ would have required awkward and sad reshoots.

I'm of two minds on Leia in Episode IX. On the one hand, to bring her back via recasting would be a bit weird given how much emphasis both TLJ's heroes and villains put on moving on from the past. On the other hand, for the last living hero of the OT/Skywalker family to just up and vanish from the saga in the final installment of nine Episodes (for now) would be weird, and not something anyone would remotely consider were Fisher still around. Furthermore, no disrespect to Fisher, but Leia barely did anything in TFA or TLJ, so it's not as though living up to those performances from an acting standpoint would take all that much.

I saw this on MovieWeb...

Star-Wars-9-Meryl-Streep-Replace-Carrie-Fisher.jpg

And honestly, though I doubt Kylo will ever become a compelling and/or satisfying character, and I dread any soap opera interaction between him and Leia, that image just about wins me over to the Draft Streep idea. I still fear that Ep IX will end up rehashing RotJ (rehashing ANH and TFA), but even if Abrams does something entirely new, such as the quest story I suggested earlier, I have no instinctual objection to Streep filling in, for either a major or minor role. The Show, after all, Must Go On.

matrixgrindhouse said:
On the subject of crawls, I plugged the eight existing ones into Botnik to see what it might predict for Episode IX...

Episode IX
THE REPUBLIC LEGIONS

The evil First Order has secretly begun construction of the clones of both ruthless Sith Lord Darth Vader and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.  The Supreme Leader Snoke now has returned from the ashes to destroy the galaxy.

Leia has been destroyed.  As the resistance fighters stand against the rising tyranny of the clones, the Guardians of the Galaxy has established a new gangster world.   

There are heroes on a desperate mission to destroy the last band of Naboo battleships to rescue Skywalker and restore his friend Han Solo to the galaxy.....

I'd actually be completely on board with this plot, honestly.

This is now obsolete.  Version 2.  Contains SPOILERS FOR SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY

Episode IX
A STUNNING TIME

The supreme leader Snoke is returning from the death.  Crime syndicates led by the ruthless Sith Darth first dreaded in Episode I has established it.   

Several thousand Jedi Knights have declared "Luke Skywalker is risen". Leia has vanished from the clutches of the First Order.

Amidala V of Naboo has exposed a hidden base on the remote ice world of Tatooine. Hoping to restore military control of the resistance, a group of freedom fighters led by a young heroes mount a secret mission to find Skywalker and restore his friend Han Solo to the galaxy.

I guess the moisture vaporators iced up something awful...

It's now being reported on the likes of the Hollywood Reporter and other places that good 'ol Lando will indeed be featuring in this next instalment it seems!  :) 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...iams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/9/17551368/star-wars-episode-ix-billy-dee-williams-lando-calrissian

https://www.darkhorizons.com/billy-dee-williams-returns-for-star-wars-ep-9/

Now I just need to wait nervously to see if J.J. will end up killing him off (and CHEWIE too?) in this thing!

Just a thought, but since this particular chapter is likely to be the final movie which features any of the original cast before the NEXT all-new trilogy (?) storyline begins, it's gonna be interesting to see what the very LAST closing shot will be...

Personally, I'd love it to involve Threepio and Artoo heading off together towards a twin sunset, as Threepio then says "Come along BB-8!", and he then excitedly rolls into view behind them as Artoo beeps and whistles approvingly...before we fade to the 'iris' and end credits.

(of course, some of these droids may be back for the next storyline too, depending on what it involves)

And I'd be interested to hear any other suggestions/or preferences for what YOU think this final shot should feature.

ImperialFighter said:
I'd be interested to hear any other ideas/or preferences for this last shot should feature.

I like your droids idea.
Mine would be a little callback to Return of The Jedi when Luke smiles watching Anakin's ghost appearing. (and mean the OLD Anaking!)
I'd just make Rey smiling when she sees Leia appearing at Luke's side. ;)
I know I'm the first one to complain when Star Wars is rehashing old things, but I think it's a case where everyone would be happy.

Nice.  That one would work nicely for me too TMBTM.

In fact, I'd want to add a certain someone to the proceedings in that too, if we get something like that (except no laughing or stamping of feet ) ;)

I can't imagine Chewie or Artoo ever getting killed off in a movie.  Since their dialogue consists entirely of sound effects, they can be recast forever.  So they could conceivably be present in future trilogies, keeping the torch running through the generations, without the jarring effect of new actors in the roles that'd affect any of the voiced characters. 

I'm glad Billy Dee is back.  Better late than never.  And after Glover's excellent turn as the young version of Lando, it's nice to see the character getting the limelight again after all these years.  Now, would they have brought him back if not for Carrie Fisher's tragic passing?  I dunno.  Probably not.  But the more familiar faces from the original trilogy around, the better.

A large musical number featuring the surviving stars of all the films is the only acceptable answer. :p

From the AV Club commentariat:

Lando.jpg

I'm still not happy with my TLJ edit so I'm doing some watch theoughs of the theatrical and had some thoughts on IX.

Now I'm not a fan of Rebels, but what if Luke projected himself into that force realm that Ezra was in and went back and changed the past? Unfortunately Carrie has passed, or he'd be able to restore them all. He could even go back and visit Yoda to prevent Sidious' rise. I don't know...it would be interesting at least. They could even throw a massive curveball and have Luke's final acts be him stopping the force from creating Anakin. Kind of like a Donnie Darko meets Butterfly effect meets Back to the Future scenario. Luke would stop the tyranny of the Empire and the First Order by sacrificing his existence. It would be the antithesis and prevention of Anakin's fall.

Maybe I'm just tired and have nothing better to think about...

Ok plot theory/speculation time.

In spoiler tags for the convenience of those not interested.

At the beginning of Episode 9, I think we'll catch up with our characters some time after the end of 8. The Resistance has slowly recovered but not enough to last in the event of a full force attack by the First Order, luckily, the First Order's leadership is in shambles, their plans at a standstill. 

Kylo finds himself regularly haunted by the force ghost of his uncle, distracting him from the Order's plans and attempting to pull him away from the dark. He and Hux don't get along and Hux has resorted to trying to assassinate Kylo, which is unsuccessful.

Rey finds herself similarly disaffected, she doesn't see the positive or inspirational effects of her mission to recruit Luke, she only knows she failed. The Resistance needs an edge, a secret weapon. Desperate for more power and without a guiding hand, the pull to the dark side is stronger for her than ever. 

The plot kicks in when Poe, Finn, and Rose return in haste from their mission to gather allies from the outer rim territories. Their ship is heavily damaged, and mostly empty. It crash lands near the Resistance base, which has just been found and confronted by a disorganised First Order brigade. 

Two of the named characters are unconscious and the third only says "It was the Vong. The Vong are coming!"

This is followed by a devastating attack by aliens from outside the known bodies of the universe. The Vong. They don't have to be like the books or actually be named that. Maz Kanata provides exposition about the new threat, they're somehow different and possibly Force-immune.

So these two disparate groups now have motivation to put the Resistance's leadership together with the Order's resources. They must put their differences aside or they won't survive. 

Non-force users do some kind of recon or sabotage with droids. Many are killed in a first wave attack when they try to use traditional defense strategies. Hux takes the opportunity to make another attempt on Kylo's life, but Leia "takes the bullet" so to speak. Hux is killed in rage not by Kylo (who, while cradling his dying mother, finally accepts love is more powerful than hate) but by Rey (who appears to now be consumed with darkness).

The internal conflicts of Rey and Kylo come to a head when they literally "meet in the middle" on the battlefield to fight the enemy. As a team they use a combination of light and dark force powers. 

The movie ends with the battle won, but it is just the beginning of another "Star War". Rey and Kylo, as a team, form a new group of trained Force users, neither truly light nor dark, keepers and collectors of history and legends, and they call themselves Whills. In this Luke finds peace and ascends to the next plane of the Force.

For a title, maybe something like Star Wars: Episode 9: A Common Doom?

^ From Magical Plot Expostion Maz to the redemption of Kylo Ren to gratuitous set-up for the future of the franchise, I find that speculation terrifyingly plausible. ("Terrifying" because, no offense whatsoever, I hate almost everything in it.)

I have very few hopes for the movie as is, but heavily dread Kylo being redeemed (despite Luke and Leia's acceptance of his being beyond fixing one of the few things TLJ got right), because Abrams is prone to hackery and the temptation to  ̶c̶o̶p̶y̶, er, rhyme with RotJ will doubtless be a powerful one.

Gaith said:
^ From Magical Plot Expostion Maz to the redemption of Kylo Ren to gratuitous set-up for the future of the franchise, I find that speculation terrifyingly plausible. ("Terrifying" because, no offense whatsoever, I hate almost everything in it.)

No offense taken. In fact - thank you. I was going for plausibility.

Gaith said:
I have very few hopes for the movie as is, but heavily dread Kylo being redeemed (despite Luke and Leia's acceptance of his being beyond fixing one of the few things TLJ got right), because Abrams is prone to hackery and the temptation to  ̶c̶o̶p̶y̶, er, rhyme with RotJ will doubtless be a powerful one.

If Kylo ends up fully 'redeemed' and part of a grinning group-hug by the end of this next one, I'm definately gonna puke.  :dodgy:

Nothing less than a satisfying lightsaber decapitation should be his ultimate fate for skewering his dad like that.

No guys, I've got it.

Episode 7 was a remake reboot reimagination of Episode 4.

Episode 8 was a remake ripoff hackjob of Episodes 5 and 6 smushed together.

Episode 9 is going to just do the prequels.

Back
Top Bottom